• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Interfectum said:
Pretty good comparison

1ze8k91.jpg
What are you trying to show?

Those headlights are completely different, just as they can be in real life. The model on the right is using HID projector headlamps while the one on the left is using old school reflector lamps (which ARE available on less expensive BMW models). These are different cars!

Aside from that, the left shot is taken from a compressed source and the image quality suffers as a result.

phil_t said:
It's nice to see that despite all the efforts to concentrate on the graphics in the forums, the reviewers barely even mention it, almost as if FM3's graphics are more then good enough, and the actual gameplay is what matters.. Who would have though that..

Yup. Most of them are focusing squarely on the accessibility, which is sure to curl plenty of hairs.

Goldrusher said:
Prologue didn't have a photo mode.
is that gt5p image from the menu or ingame? to me looking at both of those images it seems it's rendered as a photomode image or at least taken from a dev console. and if it is from the car select area of gt5 why is the forza image not from the menu too?

*edit* just noticed that they are both offscreen images, still seems like an unfair match going with what looks like a menu screen car render to an ingame one.

dark10x said:

Those headlights are completely different, just as they can be in real life. The model on the right is using HID projector headlamps while the one on the left is using old school reflector lamps (which ARE available on less expensive BMW models). These are different cars!

Aside from that, the left shot is taken from a compressed source and the image quality suffers as a result.

Clearly, Turn10's models are inferior because they can only be used for lower specced cars and bad compression.

...or then it's just Interfectum lying again.

Dabanton

jaypah said:
damn, F3 is getting attacked even harder now. you'd think it'd die down instead of escalate. i don't care which game is better, and it'll probably be GT, but man the GT fans have been BITTERRRRR! my God man. the trolling ratio is so unbalanced now it's crazy. GT fans are working overtime for a game that they're clearly not concerned with. just imagine if Forza was competition to GT. :lol

i'll be back later this evening. please keep the hilarity going.

It seems the excellent review scores are sending some of the more 'intense' GT fans over the edge.

I mean Interfectum who has shown considerable courage in his efforts throughout the thread,i mean seriously the man hasn't flagged since the start of the thread with his 136 posts of pure quality, even he has reduced himself to trying to find 'bad' reviews on the net.

dark10x said:

:lol
Clearly the car knowledge is really high with GT fans, seem to remember somebody saying how fantastic the airbrakes on a Ferrari looked and moved :lol

mike0513

Banned
The funniest thing about these kinds of threads, is at the end of the day, none of this will be noticeable when playing the damn games. I doubt when I'm cruising in my enzo going 150mph in GT that I will notice how nicely rendered the chrome wheels are. Same thing with Forza, i realize that in this sort of thread my honest opinion is probably borderline trolling, but c'mon guys.:lol

SmokyDave said:
Mario Kart DS or Mario Kart 64?

Can I have an intense graphical comparison?
Mario-Kart-DS-02.jpg
vs.
kart64_1.jpg

Clearly MK64 wins, look at the fantastic ground textures and the colourful spots on Toads head! :D

No tailights on either games though....GT5 wins again.

Keikoku

Banned
It seems that the reviews are making the haters angry. I understand, waiting until 2010 as many gamers will be playing the "best racing game of this gen" is kind of annoying.

mike0513

Banned
ResidentDante said:
Mario-Kart-DS-02.jpg
vs.
kart64_1.jpg

Clearly MK64 wins, look at the fantastic ground textures and the colourful spots on Toads head! :D

No tailights on either games though....GT5 wins again.

psshht, marios hat looks hand-drawn onto the model

mike0513

Banned
ResidentDante said:
What's that got to do with MK64's superior physics? It had flipovers long before GT5 and Forza 3 anyhow!
True, true. However it does not have magic carpet simulation, +1 Forza

Interfectum

Diablohead said:
*edit* just noticed that they are both offscreen images, still seems like an unfair match going with what looks like a menu screen car render to an ingame one.

Both in-game from replays.

Your world = shattered?

Woz

jaypah said:
damn, F3 is getting attacked even harder now. you'd think it'd die down instead of escalate. i don't care which game is better, and it'll probably be GT, but man the GT fans have been BITTERRRRR! my God man. the trolling ratio is so unbalanced now it's crazy. GT fans are working overtime for a game that they're clearly not concerned with. just imagine if Forza was competition to GT. :lol

i'll be back later this evening. please keep the hilarity going.

Dabanton said:
It seems the excellent review scores are sending some of the more 'intense' GT fans over the edge.

ResidentDante said:
:lol
Clearly the car knowledge is really high with GT fans

I see a pattern here

Chinner

Banned
ResidentDante said:
Did you read the post about different types of headlamps BMW deliveres for their cars in real life?

YOUR world = shattered?
Did you read about how falling from high distances can break your bones?

MY hip = shattered

Interfectum said:
Both in-game from replays.

Your world = shattered?
Well now that you have fully explained where the images are from, yes I guess.

People just posting two shots without explaining are idiots though.

Tk0n said:
there is a gran turismo watermark "ingame"?
In replay's since gt3 there has been (if you mean something else sorry) but does gt5p do any model swaps at all? Forza 3 hit me hard when I realised that the 30fps replays did nothing to the car model and the mini in the demo is quite low poly.

Interfectum

Diablohead said:
Well now that you have fully explained where the images are from, yes I guess.

People just posting two shots without explaining are idiots though.

Generally when posting screens from GT5/GT5P you can take it that the models (not the AA, not the effects) are in-game.

Obviously the same can't be said of Forza 3 after Turn 10's lies so I understand your confusion.

mujun

Interfectum said:
I'm not claiming anything.

Forza fanatics on the other hand are claiming Forza 3 does 'some things better' than an unreleased game simply because they know the graphics debate is lost.

So the in game shop for selling your own creations is going to be superior in GT5?

GT5 is going to be more accessible to casual racing fans?

GT5 will probably end up trumping Forza 3 in a bunch of areas but far less than you are trying to intimate.

If trolling is fun for you then keep it up I suppose.

mike0513

Banned
Interfectum said:
Generally when posting screens from GT5/GT5P you can take it that the models (not the AA, not the effects) are in-game.

Obviously the same can't be said of Forza 3 after Turn 10's lies so I understand your confusion.
He came ready to play today

Woz

mike0513 said:
Question is, does the carpeting match the drapes?

Eh, I've always considered myself a "GT fan", but since tools like Interfectum are accomuned to the term, it's better to find a new term for my "GT passion"

ShogunX

Woz said:
Eh, I've always considered myself a "GT fan", but since tools like Interfectum are accomuned to the term, it's better to find a new term for my "GT passion"

How about ''GT enthusiast'' or is that too much?

Either way this thread needs to follow the new trend and re-emerge March 2010. Interectum might just have his day.

Woz

Shogun PaiN said:
How about ''GT enthusiast'' or is that too much?

Either way this thread needs to follow the new trend and re-emerge March 2010. Interectum might just have his day.

How about call Interfectum fanboy/troll and let other peaceful fans alone? ;)

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
mujun said:
GT5 will probably end up trumping Forza 3 in a bunch of areas but far less than you are trying to intimate.

Well, I mean, look at the reviews.

Gran Tursimo - Gran Turismo 4: average of 90%
Forza 1 - Forza 3: average of 90%

Each review is likely to contain the phrase "one of the best sims ever."

It's really, really stupid to claim one is vastly superior to the other or reduce the whole debate to pictures of blown up headlamps.

Hanmik

someone should make a list .. like this:

Forza Hater:

Gran Turismo Hater:

Forza Fan:

Gran Turismo Fan:

Car games fan:

Car Enthusiast:

Just here to enjoy the show:

just make people fill out this form before they post in this thread.. that would make it much easier to seperate the junk form the carbage

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I find it funny people didn't expect FM3 to get great scores, outside of the graphics\physics debate even FM2 did things with the customization,online, community, paint jobs, car trading, on and on and, it was staggerings on this alone is going to give FM3 great scores because like FM2 it's dong things never even loosely attempted with a racing game before.

Naughtboy

Banned
Some of you in this thread are insane. I can't believe the hate Forza has here. It has gotten pretty good reviews and some of you people can not give its due. In the graphics department for a review, I usually thought games with sequels are compared to their predecessor, not necessarily other games in the same market.

Anywoo, Oct 27th can't come fast enough for me, my game of the year already. I'm seriously thinking about buying a PS3, but I want to get a 1080P t.v for my room first. There's this 32in 1080p Vizio for $429; strongly considering buying that and then a ps3 this Christmas.

Having GT5 come out next year works wonders for me because it'll allow me to indulge in Forza. However i don't solely want to buy a console for a single game. But i can not deny Heavy Rain and God of War 3 next year.

Firewire

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
a)How is it a sim? It simulates the physics of racing a car extremely well.

b)The game features real life cars modeled to great detail and the ability to modify those cars in a number of realistic ways.

c)You can even race on real life tracks.

d)Once again, if it's your assertion that assists disqualify it from being a sim then no sim currently exists on any console. You won't say this though, because arbitrary distinctions and straw man arguments are all you need to satisfy your definition of a "good point."

e)Now go back to practicing.

Thanks for the response.

a, b, c) Yeah these are all things seen in racing sims, fans associate this stuff as essential in the genre. Even though other games touch on these things we don't really call them sims do we.

d) You have brought this up allot. First of all I hope we can acknowledge that both games have these assists (ABS and such), and in both they can be turned off. But for the most part these features are real life features. Most cars today have ABS, some have traction control, the list goes on. Both games give us these features because they want them to be true to life, they want the fans to be able to associate with these cars, the Mustang you own in real life should be pretty much be the same as the in game one. Then they give you the sweet souped up Saleen and other variations, you want to get the better car and to the next track.
I wonder in the past did they have these arguments about fuel injection, double overhead cams, dual exhausts ;)?

Do we strip a car of its Turbo or Supercharger (surely these are assists) because it can race against non turbo/supercharger cars, no. Both games classify cars into groups so they remain competitive against each other.

The more casual racing fans won't tinker with this stuff, they won't turn this or that off. Its the speed junkies that dabble with this stuff, they don't want ABS they want the pro racing physics and stuff, both these games supply it for the junkies.

Now as far as I can tell the only "rewind" found in the real life cars is on the CD players or tape decks. I define a racing sim as a race between point A and point B, with no pauses or breaks unless the length of the race requires pits or for flags. This is similar to real life racing is it not? I have never seen a race where a car can rewind (I've seen them reverse lol), basically stop time and everything around them and move backwards in time and then resume. Basically changing the race.

Now I know this "feature" won't be available in every mode but we know its in career mode, this is a huge chunk of the game. I know you don't have to use it but something tells me Turn10 will have a little message on screen at some point saying "to use rewind press whatever". I wonder how many of the more casual owners of Forza 3 will end up using it. Does this feature or assist stay true to racing, I would say no. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

e) I'll probably try and practice again Saturday morning thanx! Need to break my record with the M3.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm sure this will start a ruckus in this thread. :lol Forza reviews are here! Let the bitching and fighting reignite!

MotorTrend Review

The physics engine is impressive. At the wheel -- er, controller -- you can actually feel the behavior of each at limit. You can feel an open differential spin one wheel, the downforce press on the car at speed, the loss of traction from abused tires. You can hear the tires go from push to slide. It's no substitute for the real thing -- what videogame is? -- but every staffer who played the game was impressed with the portrayal.

Verdict: Worth every penny. And then some.

TeamXBox

"Forza Motorsport 3 may display graphics so beautiful it makes your eyes bleed. It may be so scalable from accessible to hardcore that everyone from your grandma to Michael Schumacher could enjoy it. It may have super-slick presentation values and an unparalleled love for all things car-related, but it somehow falls short of feeling like a classic. It’s exactly the sum of its parts, which is not something to slam when you think how great the parts are. Everything about this game is great, no doubt, from the leveling system to the ability to buy user-created vinyls, to the quick upgrade system. And despite a few flaws, Forza Motorsport 3 is still jam-packed with awesomeness. "

IGN Review

Video Review

Forza Motorsport 3 is an exemplary racing game. It's beautiful, the controls are spot-on, the career mode is satisfying, and the multiplayer component is awesome. But there's still room to grow. The visuals could be even better, the career mode sags at times, and there needs to be at least one more option for AI difficulty. Even with those concerns, Forza 3 is a big step forward for sim racing games. Turn 10 has thrown down the gauntlet and it will be a real challenge for Polyphony Digital to deliver a superior racer with Gran Turismo 5. After all, this is the best racing game of this generation. Good luck topping it.

IGN UK

VideoGamer.com Review

"Forza 3 doesn't do anything that's never been done before, but everything it does do has been executed to such a high standard that it's hard to find faults - and even those are minor in the grand scheme of things. Never before has there been such a content-packed racing game, playable for people of all skill levels, that feels this good. That's the key. On the track, no matter what car you're in, it feels right. You're not wondering if the controls are too twitchy or if you should tweak some options in the menu. You're 100 per cent focused on nailing every corner, out-breaking an opponent and taking him on the inside and just having a good time. Turn 10 has created a sim racer that goes far beyond the genre's usual hardcore boundaries. It's made a racing game to be enjoyed by just about anyone."

Gamedaily Review

"We could nitpick the small things (returning courses, the developers force players to repeatedly race on the same tracks), but none of those issues affect an otherwise incredible racing experience. Forza Motorsport 3 is without question one of the best racers and a surefire contender for 2009 game of the year. Regardless of where you stand--veteran or newcomer--you should give this outstanding effort a test drive."

GameSpy Concensus Review

Pros:
A well-engineered racer that puts you knee-deep in car culture -- aka, what Forza's always done best.

Cons:
The rewind mode has some slight annoyances; cockpit view is jarringly disappointing.

KHarvey16

Firewire said:
Now as far as I can tell the only "rewind" found in the real life cars is on the CD players or tape decks. I define a racing sim as a race between point A and point B, with no pauses or breaks unless the length of the race requires pits or for flags. This is similar to real life racing is it not? I have never seen a race where a car can rewind (I've seen them reverse lol), basically stop time and everything around them and move backwards in time and then resume. Basically changing the race.

Now I know this "feature" won't be available in every mode but we know its in career mode, this is a huge chunk of the game. I know you don't have to use it but something tells me Turn10 will have a little message on screen at some point saying "to use rewind press whatever". I wonder how many of the more casual owners of Forza 3 will end up using it. Does this feature or assist stay true to racing, I would say no. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

Then surely pause and instant restart also fall into the realm of "not possible in real life." If the inclusion of rewind is enough for you to consider a game to not be a sim, for the sake of consistency, the inclusion of these two features must do the same.

Top Bottom