• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
belvedere said:
Why do people keep referencing this alternate universe where GT5 is complete?

Key statement "imagine what the comparison would be like"

From what I have seen I am not impressed. It's hands off of it because it's not "finished"?

Don't make me laugh.

If he can cherry pick a positive review into a distorting comparison of two other games that are not even in the same category then you bet that I'll compare what I've seen from GT 5 and link it with his relevant FM 3 "critique" from 1up.

Fair game.

cakefoo

proposition said:
In a sense, I think calling F3 the definitive racer of this gen makes a lot of sense. What is the defining feature of this generation, at least for the HD consoles? Networking and community. And that is F3's strong point.

Of course GT fans are trying to spin 'definitive' as 'best looking', so that they can say that obviously GT5 is the definitive sim, but that's only because GT5 is only better looking. There's nothing about the game or any info released so far that suggests that in any other sense it will be F3's competitor.

Forza 3 is Web 2.0 to GT5's Usenet.

:cool:
Graphics are the "only" thing being compared because that's one of the only things anyone knows about GT5. But I see that's not stopping you from deciding here and now that FM3>GT5's community features.

We don't know the specific details about the tracks, online features, Nascar and WRC licensing, damage, upgrades, physics, gameplay, etc.

But by all means, continue comparing FM3 to GT4. PD didn't make any advancements since that game, afterall.

Does anyone know if the gran turismo bundle coming out in december will offer some kind of discount as opposed to just the $300 ps3 plus normal game price.

ShapeGSX

cakefoo said:
Graphics are the "only" thing being compared because that's one of the only things anyone knows about GT5. But I see that's not stopping you from deciding here and now that FM3>GT5's community features.

True, we don't know what is going to be in GT5.

But given the feature lists we have seen, and the numerous PD interviews, I don't hold a lot of hope that they are implementing a ton of community features.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-game-features-announced/
■ Online
Open Lobby
Text / Voice Chat
Private rooms
Online Photo Album
Online Replay Album
YouTube replay output

I mean, the fact that they feel that they have to list chat at all as a feature doesn't really instill a lot of confidence.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
jakonovski said:
GiantBomb has an awesome Forza3 Quick Look, and I dare anyone to hate the game after watching it: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-forza-motorsport-3/17-1475/
those were the most annoying first 10 minutes of any view review i've seen lately. particularly one which is supposedly targeted at car enthusiasts. nurburg-what?

Also, regarding the GT4 5sec penalty, you could easily (well not that easily, but after a bit of practice) avoid it by drifting ass first into AI cars, because then it counted it as their fault and not yours.
i'd like to see you drifinting your ass into an AI on cita d'aria.

DarkJC

PowersOfTen said:
Does anyone know if the gran turismo bundle coming out in december will offer some kind of discount as opposed to just the $300 ps3 plus normal game price.

What bundle is this

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
ShapeGSX said:
True, we don't know what is going to be in GT5.

But given the feature lists we have seen, and the numerous PD interviews, I don't hold a lot of hope that they are implementing a ton of community features.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-game-features-announced/
■ Online
Open Lobby
Text / Voice Chat
Private rooms
Online Photo Album
Online Replay Album
YouTube replay output

I mean, the fact that they feel that they have to list chat at all as a feature doesn't really instill a lot of confidence.
I think Forza 2 has "Voice" listed on it's box.

user_nat said:
You're now quoting negative things for an otherwise overwhelmingly positive review. Nice.

"A terrific racing sim that can proudly proclaim itself as the best and most polished currently available."
Definitive?

Definitive by its nature, implies "final authoritative example". So far, is not definitive.

F3 cannot be the definitive console racer of the generation. You can't logically answer the question of what is the definitive console racer of this generation until it's nearing the end of its life span. I think we have at least another 3 years to go. Plenty of time for a Forza 4.

ShapeGSX

user_nat said:
I think Forza 2 has "Voice" listed on it's box.

Yeah, it is a standard thing to list on Xbox game boxes. Not so much in game convention powerpoint slides where you are showing off your great features.

But does anyone think that GT5 is going to match or beat Forza 3's community features? Maybe they will. But I'm not going to be particularly surprised if they don't.

blu said:
those were the most annoying first 10 minutes of any view review i've seen lately. particularly one which is supposedly targeted at car enthusiasts. nurburg-what?

i'd like to see you drifinting your ass into an AI on cita d'aria.

It's not a video review. It's a quick look, it's to give you an idea of what the game is actually like rather than a bunch of spliced up trailers and montages.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
DancingJesus said:
It's not a video review dumbass.
two dudes with a grabber equipment, playing a game, commenting on its worth. must be a wedding video, smartpants!

blu said:
two dudes with a grabber equipment, playing a game, commenting on its worth. must be a wedding video, smartpants!

Also, to this point.

"particularly one which is supposedly targeted at car enthusiasts. nurburg-what?"

It isn't targeted towards car enthusiasts. These are honest quick impressions from people who aren't hardcore gearheads.

The site also does proper video reviews in which you expect rundown of all the features and such.

Justin

DancingJesus said:
Also, to this point.

"particularly one which is supposedly targeted at car enthusiasts. nurburg-what?"

It isn't targeted towards car enthusiasts. These are honest quick impressions from people who aren't hardcore gearheads.

The site also does proper video reviews in which you expect rundown of all the features and such.

Yeah, I am not sure where he was getting the "targeted at car enthusiasts" part. On the Giantbomb podcast Jeff (the guy playing) has said multiple times that he hates sim racing games except for Forza 2. Also the "nurburg-what" thing was obviously a joke.

It's hilarious watching the Polyphony bots heads explode over all the superlatives being hurled at Turn 10 and their brilliant racer.

Maybe if your GT heroes hadn't grown so stale and tired, shoveling the same lifeless driving game out the door time after time, only improving the graphics along the way, they would'nt now be behind the eight ball trying to hold onto the crown.

Can Polyphony now shoe horn a rewind feature into the game to try match Turn 10 on that front? Can they really ask their fanbase to tolerate another delay while they try to step up their backgrounds to come close to what Turn 10 has done? Or will paper cut-out trees and generic, lifeless tracks again rule the day?

it looks like there's a new sheriff in town. Now lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way, Polyphony.

Interfectum

pixel monkey said:
It's hilarious watching the Polyphony bots heads explode over all the superlatives being hurled at Turn 10 and their brilliant racer.

Maybe if your GT heroes hadn't grown so stale and tired, shoveling the same lifeless driving game out the door time after time, only improving the graphics along the way, they would'nt now be behind the eight ball trying to hold onto the crown.

Can Polyphony now shoe horn a rewind feature into the game to try match Turn 10 on that front? Can they really ask their fanbase to tolerate another delay while they try to step up their backgrounds to come close to what Turn 10 has done? Or will paper cut-out trees and generic, lifeless tracks again rule the day?

it looks like there's a new sheriff in town. Now lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way, Polyphony.

Dan? :lol

commedieu

Banned
pixel monkey said:

Forza2 allegedly already did this. Remember? So is F3 the newer sheriff? And out of all the features Forza has, rewind is the paramount feature GT needs to add? :lol Grids rewind feature right?

Forza2 tried to lead... and a few years later managed to sell 5 million copies to GT5's demo selling 4.5 in less time.

It boils down to this...

What do F3's reviews/Scores do to GT fanboys that F1 & 2 didn't already do? What innovation is F3 bringing to the table? What did it X2 improve upon for its third version? 8 cars and 720p? Livery editor.. oh wait.. an updated lighting model maybe?

Duelist

commedieu said:
Forza2 allegedly already did this. Remember? So is F3 the newer sheriff? And out of all the features Forza has, rewind is the paramount feature GT needs to add? :lol Grids rewind feature right?

Forza2 tried to lead... and a few years later managed to sell 5 million copies to GT5's demo selling 4.5 in less time.

It boils down to this...

What do F3's reviews/Scores do to GT fanboys that F1 & 2 didn't already do? What innovation is F3 bringing to the table? What did it X2 improve upon for its third version? 8 cars and 720p? Livery editor.. oh wait.. an updated lighting model maybe?

Don't forget tire flex and deformation.

user_nat

commedieu said:

Neither game sold anywhere near that much.

Forza2 was bundled everywhere for Holiday 2007 and GT5P was bundled all throughout Europe (and maybe Japan?), for a longer period than Forza.

Duelist

commedieu said:
Shift has that, and GT5 allegedly has it..

so... again.

What you're really shortchanging Forza on is the fact that while Grid has rewind and NFS:Shift has tire flex, no game out there combines all of these features and has its own.

commedieu

Banned
ShapeGSX said:
A wide array of user customizable rules for online races.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/103/1033032p1.html

Right.. so the Simulation that judges the bar that all simulations should be judged on is...

online configuration rules.

And no, im not shortchanging Forza. It has great features, but how on earth can you say that because t hey are in one package, that it defines what forza is as a franchise? When the features literally exist in other games that directly compete with it?

Again, F3 vs F2 feature to feature is not much of a difference when it comes to the affect the game has on the simulation/arcade world. Especially since the only features its boasting this time around...

are from the Arcade world.

user_nat

commedieu said:
Right.. so the Simulation that judges the bar that all simulations should be judged on is...

And no, im not shortchanging Forza. It has great features, but how on earth can you say that because t hey are in one package, that it defines what forza is as a franchise? When the features literally exist in other games that directly compete with it?

Again, F3 vs F2 feature to feature is not much of a difference when it comes to the affect the game has on the simulation/arcade world. Especially since the only features its boasting this time around...

are from the Arcade world.
What amazing new features is GT5 offering? I'm confused.

blu said:

What the hell?!?

People are slamming a Quick Look with a goddamned THE STATE reference in it?!?!?!

New low, thread.

New.

Low.

Duelist

commedieu said:

In Forza 2, it was defined by its damage model (being the only console sim racer to have one), 60 fps, physics running at 360hz and livery editor. No other driving sim had these at the time. Forza 3 extends that, adds things like rollover and tire flex.

What you don't understand is that other games are playing catch up at this point. While GT5 looks better, there isn't much more than that. A recent admission of this point was when they decided to put in damage modeling into the game when GT fans were clamouring that no one needed it because you're not supposed to crash.

If anything, other than GT being an older franchise, what really defines GT5 other than its graphics?

evolution

Duelist said:
In Forza 2, it was defined by its damage model (being the only console sim racer to have one), 60 fps, physics running at 360hz and livery editor. No other driving sim had these at the time. Forza 3 extends that, adds things like rollover and tire flex.

What you don't understand is that other games are playing catch up at this point. While GT5 looks better, there isn't much more than that. A recent admission of this point was when they decided to put in damage modeling into the game when GT fans were clamouring that no one needed it because you're not supposed to crash.

If anything, other than GT being an older franchise, what really defines GT5 other than its graphics?
What?? Your saying forza 2 was the first console sim racer to have damge? The car have always defined the GT series and GT5 will be no different. T10 didn't introduce anything new to the genre, lets hope PD does.

ShapeGSX

commedieu said:

It's a simulator. They simulate driving. This time they are doing it better than the last time (which was better than the time before that).

Oh, they also include:
A much better livery editor
In-game online sharing tools for video, photos, vinyl, tunes, and entire cars (used to be just car auctions on the Forza web site)
Leaderboards for drifting, artwork, and even tuners.
HD video export
The ability to rewind
Rollover in a game with production vehicles in it (a first)
More extensive online customizable multiplayer rules than any console racing game has ever seen
A party system similar to that of Halo 3.

What kind of innovative features are you looking for, exactly? Give examples.

And are you still saying that there isn't much difference between Forza 2 and Forza 3?

Duelist

evolution said:
What?? Your saying forza 2 was the first console sim racer to have damge? The car have always defined the GT series and GT5 will be no different. T10 didn't introduce anything new to the genre, lets hope PD does.

I honestly can't tell if you're serious or if you're trolling me. If the latter, you are not doing a very good job of it.

Guy Legend

pixel monkey said:

double-facepalm.jpg

Duelist

evolution said:
Im confused by your damage comment. thats all

By all means refute it, if you can name another console sim that did it before Forza 2. My earlier statement was referring to when Forza 2 was released.

pixel monkey said:

I... uh... wow...

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
So... I just watched the Giantbomb quick look of Forza 3 and it looked really cool. I've never been big on this type of racers, but I think I might want to get into it.

But I only have a PS3, so do we know enough about GT5 to compare it in terms of car selection and customization (Assists mostly)? That's the two things I care about really. I know it'll look good enough, I know it will feel right, etc. so having the cars I like in and having a broad spectrum of customization is what's on my mind right now.

commedieu

Banned
ShapeGSX said:
It's a simulator. They simulate driving. This time they are doing it better than the last time (which was better than the time before that).

Oh, they also include:
A much better livery editor
In-game online sharing tools for video, photos, vinyl, tunes, and entire cars (used to be just car auctions on the Forza web site)
Leaderboards for drifting, artwork, and even tuners.
HD video export
The ability to rewind
Rollover in a game with production vehicles in it (a first)
More extensive online customizable multiplayer rules than any console racing game has ever seen
A party system similar to that of Halo 3.

What kind of innovative features are you looking for, exactly? Give examples.

And are you still saying that there isn't much difference between Forza 2 and Forza 3?

While you named things that are improvements of features that were already there. Those aren't new innovations. Sorry.

Correct, Im saying forza2's gameplay vs Forza3's gameplay & features isn't different when you compare Forza2 to GT's shortcomings or Forza3. Its the same "painting and online community!" Which was there for F2.

What kind of features for Simulations? Things like Headtracking come to mind. Day Cycles for 24 hour races. Accurate mesh deformation damage models. More cars on the road, Things like that.

commedieu

Banned
Duelist said:
I honestly can't tell if you're serious or if you're trolling me. If the latter, you are not doing a very good job of it.

Hes saying that there was damage with production vehicles before Forza. Hes pointing out yet another thing that Forza can't claim as something thats unique to itself. Much like rewind.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Duelist said:
By all means refute it, if you can name another console sim that did it before Forza 2. My earlier statement was referring to when Forza 2 was released.
The only game that comes to mind right now is Test Drive Le Mans, did that one have a really basic damage model? It wasn't very good if I remember right.

Duelist

commedieu said:
Hes saying that there was damage with production vehicles before Forza. Hes pointing out yet another thing that Forza can't claim as something thats unique to itself. Much like rewind.

In a console simulation racer? Which one? I'd like to know for my own information.

Duelist said:
What you're really shortchanging Forza on is the fact that while Grid has rewind and NFS:Shift has tire flex, no game out there combines all of these features and has its own.
its the halo complex, one game has to battle all fps games. like someone else said I would like to see what GT5 is going to bring, thats not in ANY other game.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
GT5 has the same model for the showroom, gameplay and replay/photomode:

Yes, GT has beautiful cars. That's great. Polyphony has always given us beautiful cars.

But the game never changes...GT 5 Prologue has already shown their hand. More of the same.

It's a tired formula, and after buying every GT game, including not only Prologue, but also GT PSP...I'm ready for some goddamned innovation.

Turn 10 is taking the genre to the next level. Fucking deal with it.

Duelist

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I think TOCA 2 on the original Xbox had damage.

Okay, fair enough. Regardless, Forza 2 was also defined on having a good damage model. I think it's still quite a feat considering the other calculations going on like the physics and maintaining a solid 60 fps.

ShapeGSX

commedieu said:
While you named things that are improvements of features that were already there. Those aren't new innovations. Sorry.

Correct, Im saying forza2's gameplay vs Forza3's gameplay & features isn't different when you compare Forza2 to GT's shortcomings or Forza3. Its the same "painting and online community!" Which was there for F2.

What kind of features for Simulations? Things like Headtracking come to mind. Day Cycles for 24 hour races. Accurate mesh deformation damage models. More cars on the road, Things like that.

By your measure, none of those things are innovations, either. Other simulations have done all of that.

commedieu

Banned
Scottlarock said:
its the halo complex, one game has to battle all fps games. like someone else said I would like to see what GT5 is going to bring, thats not in ANY other game.

You're right it is the Halo Complex. Its people who know what they are talking about, telling others that the features in it aren't unique to the series. The people that dont know this put it all forward as if to say its what defines the game -above and beyond- other games.

Sure, Headtracking is in GT5. Do I get a prize? going by halo rules, theres no console game that headtracks. So that means its Innovative!

And again, proving that GT doesn't innovate highlights the fact that F3 sure as hell doesnt. The problem is trying to say Forza is better than GT because of its unique features. And none are unique. Then when you prove they aren't.. it goes "SO WHATS INNOVATIVE ABOUT GT?!?!?" Well.. we weren't saying GT was. So stop trying to pretend rewind just ran out the gates and is now a definitive feature for a series.

commedieu

Banned
ShapeGSX said:
By your measure, none of those things are innovations, either. Other simulations have done all of that.

I think you're finally getting it.

Which is why gloating about rewind is just about the dumbest thing i've seen all day.

Top Bottom