• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

nofi

SmokyDave said:
Me too, any chance someone could re-post it? I'm thinking of using this thread to write a dissertation on mental health issues in the technological space.

No way. I read it - that sort of thing shouldn't be shared... =(

Interfectum

hc2 said:
It's going to be a long 6 months, isn't it?

Long 6 months for Turn 10 as their lies are unravelled? Yes.

The latest being that photomode looks nothing (visually or camera-wise) like the photomode screens that were banded around for 2 years.

It's pretty low when you have to bullshot photomode pics don't you think?

SmokyDave

Interfectum said:

The latest being that photomode looks nothing (visually or camera-wise) like the photomode screens that were banded around for 2 years.

Yeah! Just wait until the mainstream media get a hold of this! We'll blow the lid off this thing!

I'm contacting the BBC immediately.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AnIco said:
They're still darker than GT5P's gameplay mode.

qxw312.jpg[
A new challenger appears!!

bg07_640w.jpg

bg23_640w.jpg

Interfectum said:

I'm pretty sure the Forza fans are crying inside right now. The PR mogul that lied to them all these years. I can hear the pre-orders being cancelled as we speak.

They're also horrified by the photomode and ugliness of vehicles in Forza. How can they tolerate this madness? Where has all the fun gone?

Oh, how the Forza fan wishes they could rewind time and start all over again. Those poor, poor souls.

Yes, I do fall for the bait every time.

Dabanton

The thing i find must funny about Interfectum is his obviously reading the Forza 3 thread,why his reading a thread for game he hates is mind boggling, but i also like the deliciousness of him not being able to post in there because he would no doubt be banned.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Contradicting reviews or not, I'm glad FM3 is getting good marks. I still can't say T10 deserve to be on the same stage as PD though. Their lighting magic, general graphical prowess (all of this with so much on screen), the obsessive nature with silly things we'll probably never notice, plus the fact they they're highly regarded by auto manufacturers themselves (they developed the multifunction display for the GT-R and body kits for the 350z), puts PD in a different league.

belvedere said:
Contradicting reviews or not, I'm glad FM3 is getting good marks. I still can't say T10 deserve to be on the same stage as PD though. Their lighting magic, general graphical prowess (all of this with so much on screen), the obsessive nature with silly things we'll probably never notice, plus the fact they they're highly regarded by auto manufacturers themselves (they developed the multifunction display for the GT-R and body kits for the 350z), puts PD in a different league.
It's almost as though PD has five years extra experience.

Firewire

Banned
pixel monkey said:
You didn't like that he presented an argument that you disagreed with and you wanted him to stop disrespecting the old throne. In your world, if it's not Sony, it's not worth a damn. Instead of playing the games and judging them accordingly, you're simply blinded by your brand loyalty to the point that you can't even admit TO YOURSELF that Sony and Polyphony have milked that fucking GT cow to the point of emaciation.

Over the course of all these Gran Turismo titles...what innovation have we been given? And no, Firewire...prettier cars is not innovation.

Prologue (and the coming 5 to drop in the spring) play exactly the same as the first Gran Turismo and only offer the tiniest changes to fend off the barking dogs.

"Oh, we're finally going to give you some car damage. Now shut the fuck up about it and buy our game again. We have shinier cars this time. See?"

Have you even played GT PSP? Tell me it innovates in even the smallest goddamn way. I've bought every damned one of their titles and it's enough already.

Turn 10 is actually bringing something new to the table and it pisses you off. You see Forza III and you want Polyphony to steal some of their ideas. Just admit it. At least owning up to it would show some glimmer, some tiny hope that your lost inner fanboy could somehow be saved.

Dude you have some serious issues going on. I'm not even going to bother with you as you seem to be one of Nintex's lowly peasants or something.

GuessWho

can't wait to see this thread when forza 3 gets released, it's going to be a cesspool of GT fanboys - blasting a game they want to play but can't.

Melfice7

pixel monkey said:
Prologue (and the coming 5 to drop in the spring) play exactly the same as the first Gran Turismo and only offer the tiniest changes to fend off the barking dogs.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

that's just ignorance

skulpt

Here's a point that I'm surprised isn't brought up more...

2z8p1cn.jpg

Now tell me something. What's more challenging and more race like? Having the worst qualifying times and being 8th and trying to win a race? Or having the worst qualifying times and starting off 20th and trying to win a race ? Looking at that screen.... Do the number of cars affect how you would take corners, passes, and so on?

Forza 3 is a great game period. But the number of cars really kills the feel of an actual race in some regards. You bet it simplifies corners and makes it more forgiving to have bad qualifying lap times. Races are just plain crowded events most often. Playing the demo, I just don't get that feeling all that much except at the start of the race and maybe really sharp corners and chicanes.

m0dus

Banned
RSTEIN said:
I am now 100% convinved you're a joke character.

I think Bish is playing games with everyone :lol

And skulpt, I've rarely encountered a scenario when all the opponents are so spread out--you are literally fighting for 1st place from the get go, and the driver AI is practically devious at times, in terms of stealing corners and drafting (and, thankfully, it's nothing like the demolition derby cars of a game like GRID). It keeps you on your toes and it's a far more rewarding experience for it.

shpankey

not an idiot
user_nat said:
All this has me thinking, what was the first game to use a breaking line?

Cause I think that is the great feature ever in a racing sims.
I don't know if it was first, but NR03 (came out late 2002) for sure had it.

SmokyDave

shpankey said:
I don't know if it was first, but NR03 (came out late 2002) for sure had it.

I think the concensus is that F355 Challenge (1999) was the pioneer, same as cockpit view on a console sim. Go Dreamcast!

Chaplain

iceatcs said:
Not bad for GTHD, GT5:p, GTPSP and GT5 all within years. But they could done more quicker tho.

From my understanding Poly does everything in house. MS outsources allot of the car modeling for Turn 10 to India and that is why they are faster at making Forza.

Interfectum said:
Photomode screens of Forza 3

As bad as it looks at least they don't black out the interiors in photomode as well :lol
Terrible jpg compression.

I'm not saying F3 looks better than GT (the lighting is easily better in GT) but cmon folks, stop posting badly compressed pics.

Doc Evils

Game Analyst said:
From my understanding Poly does everything in house. MS outsources allot of the car modeling to India and that is why they are faster at making Forza.

Well it does show doesn't it?

Game Analyst said:
From my understanding Poly does everything in house. MS outsources allot of the car modeling for Turn 10 to India and that is why they are faster at making Forza.

I don't know, man. The dev I spoke to on the phone (after being on hold for like two hours!!) assured me his name "Pete Smith" and he was from "Detroit, Pennsylvania".

Firewire said:
Dude you have some serious issues going on. I'm not even going to bother with you as you seem to be one of Nintex's lowly peasants or something.

What a surprise. Firewire has no response when he's called out on the carpet for his nonsense. Don't worry, Fire. If you play Forza in a dark enough room...no one wil find out.

Melfice7 said:

that's just ignorance

Of course it is. Because no one could ever make a racing title to compare with Polyphony. What was I thinking? Thanks for setting me straight, Mel.

By the way, you may want to stay away from Metacritic and Gamerankings for the next few weeks...trust me on this one.

skulpt

m0dus said:
I think Bish is playing games with everyone :lol

And skulpt, I've rarely encountered a scenario when all the opponents are so spread out--you are literally fighting for 1st place from the get go, and the driver AI is practically devious at times, in terms of stealing corners and drafting (and, thankfully, it's nothing like the demolition derby cars of a game like GRID). It keeps you on your toes and it's a far more rewarding experience for it.
'

I could have done it the other way though as well, putting all of the 8 cars close together. That still doesn't reflect the longer "wall" of cars you have to get through if you start off say 18th or something.

I will say for the limited 8 cars that Forza 3 does have, they do space them well, with some pretty good AI (instead of predetermined lines), but I can manage to get from 8th to first way too easily. I guess I'm saying a bad qualifying lap doesn't hurt you as much in Forza 3 compared to a real race where you're most likely screwed. I like the risk and pressure of qualifying laps and having to weave through 19 other cars instead of 7.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
RE: photomode

Apparently the photo servers are offline or some technical mumbo jumbo so the pics we're seeing now are way worse than they'll be when the game is released. We'll have to wait and see.

Firewire

Banned
pixel monkey said:
What a surprise. Firewire has no response when he's called out on the carpet for his nonsense. Don't worry, Fire. If you play Forza in a dark enough room...no one wil find out.

Called out by you....:lol Your incoherent ranting about GT or Polyphony doesn't even make sense. I don't even think you know shit about sim racing because your posts are simply ignorant. Grow up, get an education it would do you some good...honestly.

Oh and welcome to my ignore list!

Doc Evils

RSTEIN said:
RE: photomode

Apparently the photo servers are offline or some technical mumbo jumbo so the pics we're seeing now are way worse than they'll be when the game is released. We'll have to wait and see.

Or is it because people post pictures showing what the game really looks like before release?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Doc Evils said:
Or is it because people post pictures showing what the game really looks like before release?

No, no. It has nothing to do with how the game looks. We know what the game looks like becuase we've played the demo. Not sure what you mean here.

There's horrible compression of photomode pics just like Forza 2. We assumed (always a dangerous thing) that F3 photomode pics would be exported in glorious detail and the compression would be a thing of the past. The F3 photomode pics released so far (by people who have the game early) have horrible compression. T10 said it has do to with the servers being offline or something and the real photomode pics won't have compression.

shpankey

not an idiot
Afrikan said:
So........ have you heard Yamauchi say GT5 will look better than Reality?

well..... *gets ready to run for safety after dropping link*

here you go...
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1461/yamauchi-gran-turismo-5-better-than-reality

have at it!
but wait, PD doesn't brag... remember? :lol that's what we've been told in this thread.

Melfice7 said:

that's just ignorance
jackson-778380.gif

"Yeah, ignoraaannt I tell you, you're just ignoraaaant.

Doc Evils said:

:lol

Jesus. They didn't turn off Photomode, Mr. Fantastic (get it? because of the reaching?)

So now all of a sudden Photomode is an accurate representation of the game? I thought it was all bullshots!

The actual story is that Photomode was currently exporting compressed-to-shit versions of photos from photomode to users' FM.net accounts. Sorry, FM3 The Actual Game does not play in Compressed-To-JPG levels on your TV so no, that's not "what the game really looks like before release".

:lol

There's plenty GT5 does legitimately better than FM3 and there's plenty that FM3 lacks that you can run with. No need to take these sorts of leaps.

GuessWho said:
can't wait to see this thread when forza 3 gets released, it's going to be a cesspool of GT fanboys - blasting a game they want to play but can't.

you sound like a fanboy!! GT lover are mostly car racing enthusiast meaning they probably buy both games.

Doc Evils

RSTEIN said:
No, no. It has nothing to do with how the game looks. We know what the game looks like becuase we've played the demo. Not sure what you mean here.

There's horrible compression of photomode pics just like Forza 2. We assumed (always a dangerous thing) that F3 photomode pics would be exported in glorious detail and the compression would be a thing of the past. The F3 photomode pics released so far (by people who have the game early) have horrible compression. T10 said it has do to with the servers being offline or something and the real photomode pics won't have compression.

Well we shall see when I get a copy on the 26th.

Interfectum

infinityBCRT said:
Terrible jpg compression.

I'm not saying F3 looks better than GT (the lighting is easily better in GT) but cmon folks, stop posting badly compressed pics.

It goes way beyond 'just the lighting'.

The in-game models in GT are vastly superior to the menu, replay and photomode models in Forza 3.

Not to mention you have double the amount of cars, fully modelled and viewable interiors and 4xAA.

Interfectum said:
It goes way beyond 'just the lighting'.

The in-game models in GT are vastly superior to the menu, replay and photomode models in Forza 3.

Not to mention you have double the amount of cars, fully modelled and viewable interiors and 4xAA.

With every release in the series, this is always the selling point. The lone selling point. What else is changed? Where and how is Polyphony innovating the genre?

Each time. Every time. This is what GT enthusiasts point to. You guys not only continue to drink Polyphony's Kool-Aid, you bought a fucking stand to try and sell it to the rest of us.

Firewire said:
Called out by you....:lol Your incoherent ranting about GT or Polyphony doesn't even make sense. I don't even think you know shit about sim racing because your posts are simply ignorant. Grow up, get an education it would do you some good...honestly.

Oh and welcome to my ignore list!

The last bastion of a petulant child...when you can't defend your assertions, lash out with personal attacks. Firewire, ladies and gentlemen! Firewire! :lol

Interfectum said:
Theres a trade off between the car detail vs. track detail in GT5 and F3. But I doubt 99% of people will really notice it in reality. You're not playing the game while zoomed into the headlights or trees. And hell you're not watching replays like that either.

Top Bottom