• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

skyfinch

Metalmurphy said:
Not that you'd care considering your past history on this very thread, and the near lack of one on the actual GT5 thread, but what happened was the lack of bullshots. Nothing new.

Searching through a person's post history? God, you have too much time on your hands.

skyfinch said:
Searching through a person's post history? God, you have too much time on your hands.

Doesn't exactly take a long time... And I only did it cause I never saw you post in the GT5 thread, hence my curiosity on the sudden interest. Didn't take long to figure out what the true purpose was.

Vast Inspiration said:
Shut the fuck up kids

It's 3AM, can't sleep and I'm bored so... no :p

jett

D-Member
user_nat said:
What's up with the jaggies in the second pic?

Resized?

edit: or shadows.

It's called a real, direct-feed screenshot. GT5 actually uses 4XMSAA, more than any other current-gen game I can think of. The shadows well...that's what self-shadows look like this generation. :p

adelante

Metalmurphy said:
Just as it was unnecessary for you?
Nah, your effort to downplay a buncha screenshots by digging up an agenda deserved my admiration thats all

Vast Inspiration said:
Shut the fuck up kids
no yoU!

To be fair, I very much prefer the overall lighting in GT5 than F3. Creating realistic environments are easier with bright daytime settings imho (posted in the GT5 thread):

15hgx2s.jpg

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
adelante said:
To be fair, I very much prefer the overall lighting in GT5 than F3. Creating realistic environments are easier with bright daytime settings imho (posted in the GT5 thread):

http://i48.tinypic.com/15hgx2s.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Is there a bigger version of this?

Doesn't really seem impressive in this size.

eso76

Still, GT uses much more realistic colours for scenery textures.
If you take cars and scenery apart in F3 and GT5 you'll see the photorealistic look is not as much about shaders and lighting on cars (i'd say while F3 is not quite there it did catch up) but overall colours fidelty in scenery. That's also why F3 will look almost photorealistic in some of the tracks (silverstone, nurburgring, catalunya) and like a Sega arcade in others (Amalfi coast).

daw840

I posted this in the one of the official threads and someone linked me to this one. So I will repost!

Back when the last Gran Turismo came out I actually went out and bought a PS2 specifically because of this game. I LOVED all of the GT games ever, and have put countless hours into them. I remember actually racing the endurance races for hours upon hours. My question is, will I be satisfied with Forza on the 360? I own Forza 2 and loved it, but GT will always have a place in my heart. I am a little wary about spending this much money for a system solely for one game and worried about getting into a fight with my wife for buying a PS3 strictly for one game, lol. Now that the demo is out, what do you guys think about GT5 in comparison to Forza 3? What things does one do better than the other, and vice versa?

SmokyDave

daw840 said:
I posted this in the one of the official threads and someone linked me to this one. So I will repost!

Back when the last Gran Turismo came out I actually went out and bought a PS2 specifically because of this game. I LOVED all of the GT games ever, and have put countless hours into them. I remember actually racing the endurance races for hours upon hours. My question is, will I be satisfied with Forza on the 360? I own Forza 2 and loved it, but GT will always have a place in my heart. I am a little wary about spending this much money for a system solely for one game and worried about getting into a fight with my wife for buying a PS3 strictly for one game, lol. Now that the demo is out, what do you guys think about GT5 in comparison to Forza 3? What things does one do better than the other, and vice versa?
What aspects of the Gran Turismo series were most important to you? Is it the racing? If so, online or offline? Is it the car collecting? The license tests?

daw840

SmokyDave said:
What aspects of the Gran Turismo series were most important to you? Is it the racing? If so, online or offline? Is it the car collecting? The license tests?

Hm, offline racing for sure. I have never really been able to get into online racing for some reason. Car collecting is a big one, love it. I am a car nut, so the customization (not stupid graphics on the side mind you, actual mechanical customization) is very important. The license tests always kind of pissed me off to be honest, but I did them just to do them.

Yoritomo

daw840 said:

Well, you have a little time until GT5 comes out anyway. The demo isn't technically out and I don't think we'll get a clear picture on the differences between the 2 titles until GT5 proper is released.

I bet by the time GT5 is released you'll be able to pick up a used PS3 Slim for 250 or so. As someone who really enjoys the Forza series I'll be first in line to pick up a PS3 and GT5 when it's released in the States. Not because I'm not "satisfied" with Forza but GT5 is the biggest sim like racing game in existence. More resources are poured into it than any other racing game period. Even if they take a few things in a direction you don't agree with, as a racing fan you'll feel the need to experience it.

I'd start working on your wife now.

SmokyDave

daw840 said:
Hm, offline racing for sure. I have never really been able to get into online racing for some reason. Car collecting is a big one, love it. I am a car nut, so the customization (not stupid graphics on the side mind you, actual mechanical customization) is very important. The license tests always kind of pissed me off to be honest, but I did them just to do them.
Ok, just my opinion, but given you're not bothered about online racing or the decal / livery side of things and particularly given your desire to collect cars (one which I absolutely share) I wouldn't recommend Forza 3. It is prohibitively expensive to collect all the cars and that is extremely frustrating for someone used to the GT style "Gotta Catch Em All". In addition the offline racing is uninspired and quickly becomes a repetitive grind. This may also be the case in GT5 though, it's too early to tell.

The only thing that I'd try to dig more info up on if I were you would be the mechanical customisation side. I'm not sure how much has been confirmed for GT but Forza allows for some awesome engine and transmission swaps.

Given your stated preferences, if you're only buying one of these two games, I'd advise waiting for GT5. The ideal thing to do would be to try and get a play on both before buying.

daw840

SmokyDave said:
Ok, just my opinion, but given you're not bothered about online racing or the decal / livery side of things and particularly given your desire to collect cars (one which I absolutely share) I wouldn't recommend Forza 3. It is prohibitively expensive to collect all the cars and that is extremely frustrating for someone used to the GT style "Gotta Catch Em All". In addition the offline racing is uninspired and quickly becomes a repetitive grind. This may also be the case in GT5 though, it's too early to tell.

The only thing that I'd try to dig more info up on if I were you would be the mechanical customisation side. I'm not sure how much has been confirmed for GT but Forza allows for some awesome engine and transmission swaps.

Given your stated preferences, if you're only buying one of these two games, I'd advise waiting for GT5. The ideal thing to do would be to try and get a play on both before buying.

Just because I know myself, I will most likely end up buying both.....:p

As for the wife thing, I always say "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

SmokyDave

daw840 said:
Just because I know myself, I will most likely end up buying both.....:p

As for the wife thing, I always say "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."
Honestly, in an ideal world I'd definitely say get both. They're excellent games that excel in different areas.

I've had a woman say "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" before but given the circumstances that was under, I'm sure it wasn't your wife ;)

eso76 said:
isn't 4XAA different from 4xmsaa ?
RE5, Grid, Dirt2 all use 4xaa for example

It's the same thing.

RE5 varies btw. From 2xMSAA to 4xMSAA on Xbox and from pure 720p to 720p with Quincunx on PS3. It's not constant 4xMSAA 720p like GT5 is.

Gek54

eso76 said:
Still, GT uses much more realistic colours for scenery textures.
If you take cars and scenery apart in F3 and GT5 you'll see the photorealistic look is not as much about shaders and lighting on cars (i'd say while F3 is not quite there it did catch up) but overall colours fidelty in scenery. That's also why F3 will look almost photorealistic in some of the tracks (silverstone, nurburgring, catalunya) and like a Sega arcade in others (Amalfi coast).

Ive noticed a lot FM3's tracks seem to have bad contrast issues, too many times things are either too washed out and shadows are way too dark. Real life location comparisons I would have a hard time saying one is better than the other over all, id probably give FM3 the edge but both still have a ways to go.

14cb71z.jpg

fnzax.jpg

AndyD

aka andydumi
Gek54 said:
Ive noticed a lot FM3's tracks seem to have bad contrast issues, too many times things are either too washed out and shadows are way too dark. Real life location comparisons I would have a hard time saying one is better than the other over all, id probably give FM3 the edge but both still have a ways to go.

The problem is the time of day and lighting and weather conditions. In the FM and Real pictures, its overcast, in GT it looks to be sunny with few clouds. It can make a huge difference in what it looks like even in real life from sunny to partly cloudy to overcast, let alont times of day.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Woh what happened to the environment in the above screenshots, sorry but the one of the track from GT5 looks less than impressive.

Where these cherry picked screenshots(benefiting FM3) because I was under the impression that the environments between FM3 and GT5 were pretty close, if thats truly representative of the game then count me out, I don't care how nice the cars look if the environments look like that, it's WAY WAY unbalanced.

tinfoilhatman said:
Woh what happened to the environment in the above screenshots, sorry but the one of the track from GT5 looks less than impressive.

Where these cherry picked screenshots(benefiting FM3) because I was under the impression that the environments between FM3 and GT5 were pretty close, if thats truly representative of the game then count me out, I don't care how nice the cars look if the environments look like that, it's WAY WAY unbalanced.

Bland track in game looks like bland track in real life. News at eleven!!

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9056/indyw.jpg

tinfoilhatman said:
Umm ok sure

Sorry but that GT5 screenshot of the track looks worse than a golf game from PS2, holy cheesy grass and water textures.
The entire shots are jagged to hell which leads me to believe those aren't very good captions. Probably taken at 1080p (less AA) then resized for further artifacting.

Not even Prologue looks that jaggied. Also the TGS build looked way better then this, which leads me to believe this is probably an old build that was split from regular development for the GT Academy contest.

But as far as "detail" goes on the track, there's nothing wrong with it.

bj00rn_

Banned
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2739/4185457457_a4c87d985d_o.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2707/4186215394_09aed1f331_o.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2558/4185555511_8291f734fd_o.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2775/4186313392_73b9f06b29_o.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2729/4185556973_f83681fd77_o.png[IMG]

But..But..That's unpossible!

alba

Little is the new Big
Those captures are shit. The game is super smooth ingame and of course the track is blend since it's supposed to be the same as real life T__T

ShogunX

alba said:
Those captures are shit. The game is super smooth ingame and of course the track is blend since it's supposed to be the same as real life T__T

:lol :lol :lol

Shit captures doesn't excuse the use of MMO style textures for the track.

Only MAJOR problem I see from GT5 screens are the trees, seriously they are slabs of paper in an X shape, look ok at a distance but still, rather low quality.

ShogunX

Metalmurphy said:
Jpeg compression does. (and a shitty capture does too btw...)

For the record, this is a PROPER, capture, of GT5P. In-game (not even replay)
http://pici.se/pictures/eSVFIYHHi.jpg

The thing is like many other people I expected GT5 to look leaps and bounds better than prologue and Forza 3 but looking at these screens there isnt too much difference between the three.

Obviously when it comes to the replays and photo modes then GT looks amazing. I guess my expectations were a little too high visually after playing games like Uncharted 2.

RankoSD

Shogun PaiN said:
The thing is like many other people I expected GT5 to look leaps and bounds better than prologue and Forza 3 but looking at these screens there isnt too much difference between the three.

Obviously when it comes to the replays and photo modes then GT looks amazing. I guess my expectations were a little too high visually after playing games like Uncharted 2.
I didn't know GT5 is out, oh, you're talking for the time trial application for the GT Academy, seriously, what would you expect for the 220mb "demo"?
You will be blown by GT5 release, trust me, this is just physics wise because of the Academy competition...

LCfiner

RankoSD said:
I didn't know GT5 is out, oh, you're talking for the time trial application for the GT Academy, seriously, what would you expect for the 220mb "demo"?
You will be blown by GT5 release, trust me, this is just physics wise because of the Academy competition...

I would expect the exact same scrutiny that took place over the F3 demo. Why would anyone expect anything less? (especially for this thread)

Pallaris

Hmm, well I reckon GT looks a little better - mostly down to more natural looking lighting and colour choices. Thing is if the final game has variable framerate/tearing like every version thus far it's going to be a major disappointment for me.

I have no idea about Forza - does it maintain rock solid 60fps with v-sync at all times? If it does and GT5 doesn't manage to then we'll have a clear 'graphics' winner imo.

BeeDog

Shogun PaiN said:

I guess GT5 will (hopefully) prove its graphical worth (I'm not taking sides in this topic so don't troll me :lol) in the city tracks, since the Indianapolis track is bland as fuck.

ShogunX

RankoSD said:

I certainly hope so.

Top Bottom