• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

eso76 said:
Or if it is worse...they might have had to scale things back a little in order to keep a steady framerate, one thing Prologue lacked.

Have we ever seen direct feed grabs of that TGS GT5 demo btw,or just offscreen ?
this has happened before.. but let's hop that the game improved in every way from prologue.

eso76

Valkyr Junkie said:
London looking incredible is hopefully a good indicator.

Pics of that Tokyo track from PD are also hopefully a good indicator. While they're from photomode, assets are still the same as ingame, and those didn't seem to lack detail in geometry or textures.

eso76 said:
Pics of that Tokyo track from PD are also hopefully a good indicator. While they're from photomode, assets are still the same as ingame, and those didn't seem to lack detail in geometry or textures.

Indeed

14bn8tw.jpg

gttgs.jpg

gttgs-1.jpg

gttgs-6.jpg

gttgs-10.jpg

n6swp2.jpg

Minus all the AA and motion blur.

Seriously, everyone thinking GT5 will end up looking like those shots are just wishfulthinking, and for all the wrong reasons.

cakefoo

eso76 said:
Apparently, mountains are not the only thing GT5P forgot to add. Looking at that pic i am actually surprised they remembered to add the actual track for you to race on.

Like, seriously...you guys see those 3 comparison pics and first thing you notice and believe is worth arguing about is..whether those mountains you see in Forza should or shouldn't be there ?
honest ?
Us guys? As in who? It's just me. And yes, it's painfully obvious that GT5P is lacking a ton of detail on that particular section of the track, and this has already been discussed. I thought I'd add a little to the discussion instead of just rehashing the same thing. It was all tongue in cheek, to be honest.

mujun

No getting around it, if you go only on these screenshots, GT5 or whatever this "demo" is looks pretty shitty. Maybe some of the people who tried so hard to widen the proverbial graphics gap between GT5 and Forza 3 should eat some crow.

mujun said:
No getting around it, if you go only on these screenshots, GT5 or whatever this "demo" is looks pretty shitty. Maybe some of the people who tried so hard to widen the proverbial graphics gap between GT5 and Forza 3 should eat some crow.

Why? It's not like GT5P ceased to exist...

mujun

Metalmurphy said:
Why? It's not like GT5P seized to exist...

mujun said:

Impressions are bound to change all the way up to the point that I actually lay my own hands on the full game.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Seems kinda odd to release such a crappy looking demo for a game that prides itself on looking so damn pretty.

Why 200mb.. why.

user_nat said:
Seems kinda odd to release such a crappy looking demo for a game that prides itself on looking so damn pretty.

Why 200mb.. why.

Hate to sound like a broken record but... cause it's not supposed to be a demo. It's a way to apply to 2009 GT Academy, while giving you a taste of the new physics Kaz has been talking about.

Pretty sure we'll get another "proper" demo eventually.

Shogun PaiN said:
Thats more like it. When I think of GT5 I expect to see those kind of visuals if the game releases looking like that then I cant wait.

Oh and Metalmurphy every shot you posted above is a bullshot.
It's a photomode shot. I did mention that, twice if you count the "minus all the AA and motion blur". All assets are the same. There's not even model switching going on *wink*wink*

adelante said:
it's "ceased"

Anyway, does GT5P have the same track as this "demo"? Don't have either so I'm curious
oops :p

No it doesn't. It has susuka, fugi, daytona, eiger and the high speed ring.

Jube3

Gek54 said:
I am oddly impressed by the PD banners.

Dunno if you're serious but since you pointed it out I am too lol, usually those banners are all flat but they put some detail into making it look pretty real.

ShapeGSX said:
That's a replay, not game play.
So were the photomode shots.

What was being said, and what -viper- meant by that video, is that there is no model switching between replay and photomode. But if you want to know regarding gameplay, no there's no model switching there as well. There's some LOD applied though, but if you get close enough to a car you can see all the detail is there.

eso76

-viper- said:

actually, it would be hard to tell if there's any difference from regular replay angles.
Even in Fm3 you don't notice the difference is so huge until you get much closer to the cars.

But Prologue would let you zoom in as much as you wanted, and the only difference is CPU controlled cars' interiors are probably simplified, since the game won't let you choose cockpit view while following cpu cars during a replay.

Gek54

So yeah, if anyone wants to have a better taste of what its like to have full control of your car with a 900 degree wheel instead of being babied by Forza 3's permanent Active steering driving aid, the new GT5 demo does a pretty damn good job.

Gek54 said:
So yeah, if anyone wants to have a better taste of what its like to have full control of your car with a 900 degree wheel instead of being babied by Forza 3's permanent Active steering driving aid, the new GT5 demo does a pretty damn good job.

My dead PS3 says "FUCK YOU, FIX ME ALREADY!!!"

nib95

Banned
Have to say, based on the GT5 Academy demo, the new physics are shit hot. The sense of feedback is unreal. Especially in cockpit view. You can literally feel and see every nuisance and bump of the track. I'd almost be comfortable driving without any sound. I think the visual cues (minus the relevant smoke and dust effects) are that good.

The file size is only a measly 200mb, which might account for some of the crappy textures and compression (even more than Prologue with the grass etc). So can't wait to see the finished product. But the new physics engine is certainly impressive, if a little hardcore.

BeeDog

The Indy GP track is such a bad choice for a demo; they really should have picked a more striking one. But still, those that have followed the game shouldn't be too worried since we've already seen the Tokyo track, and it looks brilliant.

nib95

Banned
saladine1 said:
So how do the new GT5 physics compare to FM3's?
Anyone have a detailed comparison?

No detailed analysis, but I actually think F3's driving physics are a downgrade from F2's. It for some reason went n00b friendly. Even with all assists off, driving with certain/most supercars is a cake walk. I mean...you literally have to fight to spin the car off. Which imo is just plain wrong. All I can say about GT5 thus far is that it will punish you lol. It's not very forgiving. Off the bat I know two things I prefer about GT5's handling physics. The simulation of traction imo is more sophisticated (you get a feel for over steer and snap back lock correct steer more satisfyingly) and suspension feedback (in cockpit view, like I said above, you can pretty much feel the roads out by seeing the vibrations and jolts in the car).

Beyond that I'll have to do far more testing. I haven't played nearly as much of F3 as I should have. Uncharted 2 and MW2 just took over.

Iknos

Despite having less geometry the tracks in GT5 look more photoreal because of the colors.

The ideal game would have the detail of Forza and the colors of GT.

saladine1 said:

Can't really say at this point because I haven't pushed the car very hard but it feels very comparable at this point. I'm not using one consistent wheel between both games either...my Fanatec should be here...or should I say should have been here 2 days ago.

Like in Forza you can now get a better feel of when you are losing traction. As a result you can get a better idea of when to counter steer and to save your car like in Forza.

To me it seems very similar in how you can throw your chassis weight around.

The most ideal comparison scenario is the same car and the same track. Or the same car on a flat autocross like track.

All I can say is that I'm loving the Forza-esque physics on a 900 degree wheel.

nib95 said:
No detailed analysis, but I actually think F3's driving physics are a downgrade from F2's.

I don't think you'll find anyone who will agree with you. I do think there are some flaws but the amount of upgrades in the physics makes it far superior to FM2. From the feel of the tire deformation to how different drivetrains feel like how they should this time to the lower center of gravity and the feel of the weight transfer it outclasses FM2.

I agree that stock tires feel too grippy...but that alone doesn't make it worse than FM2 when so many critical enhancements have been made. When you start racing in cars in higher classes you will realize that all it was is the stock tires having a little too much grip.

I think you should go back and play both games again. At least go through all the car classes and at least a handful of seasons in each.

alba

Little is the new Big
BeeDog said:
The Indy GP track is such a bad choice for a demo; they really should have picked a more striking one. But still, those that have followed the game shouldn't be too worried since we've already seen the Tokyo track, and it looks brilliant.

The "finals" part of GT Academy should have Spa so, don't worry too much about it :D (Yes, I'm burning in anticipation to see it in GT!).

TTG

saladine1 said:

We don't really have a direct comparison as the stock car in GT5 is nerfed via traction control that can not be turned off. ABS can't be switched off in the tuned car, but that's not as big a problem.

The first thing that jumps out is how ridiculously forgiving the GT5 demo is with the tuned car. You will not spin that car, ever, unless you're hitting grass or doing it on purpose. You can apply the hand brake, steer INTO the spin until a yaw angle only 4wd cars can come back from and then calmly apply opposite lock. Similarly, burnouts and subsequent fishtailing are impossible. Mash the gas and brake until your car hits the rev limiter, let the brake out and the tuned car, with no traction control, will stay perfectly straight and gain traction at WOT. Actually, too much throttle at low speeds is so arbitrary you can't even get a proper donut going, it's weird. All of this is less noticable when going for a fast time(I'm stuck at 1.37s which puts me at 50something in US) but it's kinda hard to dismiss. I'm hoping this is just a case of a very good chassis/tires and an underpowered engine. Over all GT5 time trial really stresses smooth driving. FM3 demands a very careful throttle application and really punishes any kind of sideways action. Also, you can sit on the driving line and adjust your throttle/brake mid corner all day with GT5, again much less room for that in FM3(which is a good thing). Car control should not be as easy as the GT5 time trial makes it out to be.

If FM3 is a 10/10, I would put GT5 at an 8. Granted I only have one car and a single track with this demo, but the difference is obvious.

TTG

Iknos said:
I agree that stock tires feel too grippy...but that alone doesn't make it worse than FM2 when so many critical enhancements have been made. When you start racing in cars in higher classes you will realize that all it was is the stock tires having a little too much grip.

R3/R2 classes is where Forza 3 really shines. Going through the single player, the f50gt, viper ACR, race spec koenig... all amazing to drive. It's amazing how each car, even with the same engine and drivetrain layout and in the same class can feel vastly different to another car.

Gek54

nib95 said:
No detailed analysis, but I actually think F3's driving physics are a downgrade from F2's. It for some reason went n00b friendly. Even with all assists off, driving with certain/most supercars is a cake walk. I mean...you literally have to fight to spin the car off. Which imo is just plain wrong. All I can say about GT5 thus far is that it will punish you lol. It's not very forgiving. Off the bat I know two things I prefer about GT5's handling physics. The simulation of traction imo is more sophisticated (you get a feel for over steer and snap back lock correct steer more satisfyingly) and suspension feedback (in cockpit view, like I said above, you can pretty much feel the roads out by seeing the vibrations and jolts in the car).

Beyond that I'll have to do far more testing. I haven't played nearly as much of F3 as I should have. Uncharted 2 and MW2 just took over.

It seems Forza 3 uses a permanent Active Steering driving aid that you cannot turn off which ruins the simulation. I posted a video of it earlier...VIDEO Try steering like that in a real car or GT5.

Gek54 said:
It seems Forza 3 uses a permanent Active Steering driving aid that you cannot turn off which ruins the simulation. I posted a video of it earlier...VIDEO Try steering like that in a real car or GT5.

You're the only one saying this...over and over and over and over again. That, by no means, makes it a fact.

Yoritomo

D'ultimate said:
You're the only one saying this...over and over and over and over again. That, by no means, makes it a fact.

It does exist. I can confirm it. It's not obtrusive in a 270 degree wheel. When using the fanatec in 900 degrees it's a little disconcerting. The steering assist only happens when you're correcting a slide. It makes the game easier to play but robs you of a bit of realism.

Zaptruder

Banned
TTG said:
We don't really have a direct comparison as the stock car in GT5 is nerfed via traction control that can not be turned off. ABS can't be switched off in the tuned car, but that's not as big a problem.

The first thing that jumps out is how ridiculously forgiving the GT5 demo is with the tuned car. You will not spin that car, ever, unless you're hitting grass or doing it on purpose. You can apply the hand brake, steer INTO the spin until a yaw angle only 4wd cars can come back from and then calmly apply opposite lock. Similarly, burnouts and subsequent fishtailing are impossible. Mash the gas and brake until your car hits the rev limiter, let the brake out and the tuned car, with no traction control, will stay perfectly straight and gain traction at WOT. Actually, too much throttle at low speeds is so arbitrary you can't even get a proper donut going, it's weird. All of this is less noticable when going for a fast time(I'm stuck at 1.37s which puts me at 50something in US) but it's kinda hard to dismiss. I'm hoping this is just a case of a very good chassis/tires and an underpowered engine. Over all GT5 time trial really stresses smooth driving. FM3 demands a very careful throttle application and really punishes any kind of sideways action. Also, you can sit on the driving line and adjust your throttle/brake mid corner all day with GT5, again much less room for that in FM3(which is a good thing). Car control should not be as easy as the GT5 time trial makes it out to be.

If FM3 is a 10/10, I would put GT5 at an 8. Granted I only have one car and a single track with this demo, but the difference is obvious.

It's weird, my experience differs significantly from yours...

I'm not the best driver, but I'm ok. But at the same time, I found GT5 considerably more difficult to control than Forza cars. Much cleaner application of breaking, acceleration, and controlling the wheel as well as consideration for weight shifting are required. Even with the tuned car. Otherwise I find myself spinning out a lot.

In Forza... well, it's like that video posted; I can't even spin out if I wanted to.

But for disclosure's sake; I'm playing F3 with a gamepad, and GT5 with a G25. Even with the Dual Shock for GT5, it's not where near as forgiving as F3 though... and that's with configuring accelerate and brake on the triggers.

I'm not an experienced driver, so I can't exactly say which driving model is more accurate... but GT5 doesn't artificially control your car, nor does it change your driving perspective by making tracks narrower than they are.

I also prefer GT5's model, because despite the difficulty... it is significantly more satisfying to achieve with it than in F3.

SmokyDave

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. It's much easier to push the limits in F3, GT5 keeps me on my toes all the way around the lap. This bit in particular...

TTG said:
FM3 demands a very careful throttle application and really punishes any kind of sideways action. Also, you can sit on the driving line and adjust your throttle/brake mid corner all day with GT5...

Is diametrically opposite to my experiences with both games. Still, different driving styles maybe?

Or may be just console preference coloring the judgement. You can always tell who champion what console by what they post.

To me they both drive great and there's a fault in both but overall they both do give a really good feel of driving the car and not sliding around in a sled like some other driving games. But then agaiin that's not what this thread is for, we just want to overexagerate the fault of one or the other.

Racer30

TTG said:

What?? This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever..and yes I`ve tried them both. TTG can I ask you, do you have any real experience with track racing?

You say you can adjust the throttle/braking mid corner on the driving line in GT5, yes you can, but not without getting the car unbalanced and loose a lot of time. I dont know if you`re playing with the wheel or controller, but with a controller its easy to regain control because side to side steering is so fast...

ShapeGSX

SmokyDave said:
Yup, I was thinking the same thing. It's much easier to push the limits in F3, GT5 keeps me on my toes all the way around the lap. This bit in particular...

Is diametrically opposite to my experiences with both games. Still, different driving styles maybe?

I've been doing the R2 championship in Forza 3, and I have to be so damn careful with the gas to keep the car from spinning. If you try to apply any more than a tiny bit of gas, the back end will just come right around, even in 3rd gear, and there is no counter steer that will stop it.

And I think that is probably quite realistic for that sort of car.

That's kind of how I felt in the 370z in the GT5 demo, though, which really doesn't feel all that realistic for a car with that kind of power. I haven't yet brought out the wheel for GT5, yet, though. I was using the controller, which is admittedly awful.

SmokyDave

ShapeGSX said:
I've been doing the R2 championship in Forza 3, and I have to be so damn careful with the gas to keep the car from spinning. If you try to apply any more than a tiny bit of gas, the back end will just come right around, even in 3rd gear, and there is no counter steer that will stop it.

And I think that is probably quite realistic for that sort of car.

That's kind of how I felt in the 370z in the GT5 demo, though, which really doesn't feel all that realistic for a car with that kind of power. I haven't yet brought out the wheel for GT5, yet, though. I was using the controller, which is admittedly awful.
Oh yeah, up the top end of R2 / R1 things get a bit hairy but I was trying to compare the tuned 370z with a high B / mid A class F3 car. It seems to me that it's easier to mess about with braking and acceleration through the corners on F3. Having said that, I do 'drive it like I stole it' so maybe that explains why I find F3 more forgiving?

antiquegamer said:
Or may be just console preference coloring the judgement. You can always tell who champion what console by what they post.

To me they both drive great and there's a fault in both but overall they both do give a really good feel of driving the car and not sliding around in a sled like some other driving games. But then agaiin that's not what this thread is for, we just want to overexagerate the fault of one or the other.
It really is like that for some of you isn't it? You don't see a comment, you see the system that runs the game that the comment is about.

KHarvey16

SmokyDave said:
It really is like that for some of you isn't it? You don't see a comment, you see the system that runs the game that the comment is about.

It's a little like playing a game online that has things like aimbots and wallhacks. It taints success, and in this case system wars taint criticism. It sucks. It sucks because it actually happens occasionally but it sucks more because accusations are thrown around at every opportunity.

SmokyDave

KHarvey16 said:
It's a little like playing a game online that has things like aimbots and wallhacks. It taints success, and in this case system wars taint criticism. It sucks. It sucks because it actually happens occasionally but it sucks more because accusations are thrown around at every opportunity.
I find it more like being in the lobby before the game listening to the white noise of 1000 chattering rhesus monkeys. I dunno, I do see system warrior posts around but the notion that you'd only endorse or criticise a game because of the platform it's on is generally ridiculous. It's similar to the idea that the only people that can think Uncharted 2 is GoTY are drooling PS3 nutters. As long as the criticism is founded and accurate I don't see how systems come into it.

KHarvey16

SmokyDave said:
I find it more like being in the lobby before the game listening to the white noise of 1000 chattering rhesus monkeys. I dunno, I do see system warrior posts around but the notion that you'd only endorse or criticise a game because of the platform it's on is generally ridiculous. It's similar to the idea that the only people that can think Uncharted 2 is GoTY are drooling PS3 nutters. As long as the criticism is founded and accurate I don't see how systems come into it.

But that's just it, it doesn't really. It's the mindless hysteria created by the mere existence of the phenomena, no matter how uncommon it might be. Makes real discussion difficult.

Top Bottom