• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
KCOCw.jpg

1z1sh0g.jpg

Is the GT5 shot even real time or captured off of a video ? I'm having a hard time believing this :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well that ain't right is it ? I'm sure the direct-feed versions will show off the GT5 shots a little better at least.

KillerAJD

Well shit. The thing I thought was most ugly about the GT5 version of the car is the funky ass geometry down the middle. Seems like that's how the car actually looks. The GT5 model is a bit less rounded, but I'm surprised at how close they are. Obviously minor details are much better (and in some cases, only) presented in the F3 version. That relieves some of my disappointment.

Chrange said:
Weren't you one of fhe guys trying to downplay the Forza demo at E3? I'm pretty sure GT came up in that thread lol

You have a very inconsistent sense of anger about the cross-pollination in threads.
Yeah that's him, Metalmurphy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
KillerAJD said:
Well shit. The thing I thought was most ugly about the GT5 version of the car is the funky ass geometry down the middle. Seems like that's how the car actually looks. The GT5 model is a bit less rounded, but I'm surprised at how close they are. Obviously minor details are much better (and in some cases, only) presented in the F3 version. That relieves some of my disappointment.

exactly what I was thinking :)

The glossy look and the odd lighting doesn't help - make it look like a PS2 game a little which is odd because lighting/reflections is a strength of GT5. Will put that down to a bad grab

Zaptruder

Banned
Even with the lower polygons, the GT std version looks better than the F3 version.

Yeah, you can see more details in photomode for the F3 one... but when you're racing against them, I don't think most people would care.

Goldrusher

KillerAJD said:
Obviously minor details are much better (and in some cases, only) presented in the F3 version. That relieves some of my disappointment.
And before another wise-guy complains about them, those little wings on the corners and the ventilation thingies above the wheels on the Forza model didn't exist on the real car recreated in GT4 / GT5.

I thought the Forza 3 cars have a higher LOD when in a replay and/or in photo mode. Does GT5 do the same thing or is their LOD the same when being played or in a replay/photo?

Goldrusher

Slackbladder said:
I thought the Forza 3 cars have a higher LOD when in a replay and/or in photo mode. Does GT5 do the same thing or is their LOD the same when being played or in a replay/photo?
Screens / photos will be at least 18 megapixel, which helps.
But in replays, same models / textures as in actual driving I think.

KillerAJD

Goldrusher said:
And before another wise-guy complains about them, those little wings on the corners and the ventilation thingies above the wheels on the Forza model didn't exist on the real car recreated in GT4 / GT5.
Ah, really? I didn't know that. That gets rid of the missing detail I was talking about in my previous post, lol.

Goldrusher said:

Sure they did. If you watch the races you will see teams swapping out aero packages on the cars. Sony may not have put the dive planes or vents on the car but they sure as hell did exist on Audi's car all the way back to prior the release of Gran Turismo 2. It's more likely you will see the car on a track with the dive planes and vents than without.

KillerAJD

Goldrusher said:
Well shit, I mean, it still sucks that it has a lower poly count and some iffy texturing, but it still doesn't look bad. I mean, it's blatantly behind anything in F3, and even farther from the premium cars in GT5, but I'd get used to it quickly. My biggest annoyance is still no cockpits on the standard cars though. Like I've said previously, it fucks me up when I can't "sit" in the drivers seat. I takes me some time to get used to cornering, and I really dislike the other cameras in GT5 (well, based on GT5:p anyways). Then again, there's what MikeOfTheLivingDead just said :lol

Hold on guys, photomode in forza 3 uses a super high poly car model, aka the gt5 car might be the in-game playing one and the forza 3 one is from photomode.

Best comparison would be for someone like jube with a HD capture card to grab the car from forza 3 in a replay, where it does not use the high poly model.

Both those images are void atm.

Anybody in this thread who loves cars and racing, that simply ignores either GT5/FM3 because it's on "the other scary console that I hate" simply don't deserve racing anything else but Ridge Racers and Burnouts forever! :lol

Iknos

Diablohead said:
Hold on guys, photomode in forza 3 uses a super high poly car model, aka the gt5 car might be the in-game playing one and the forza 3 one is from photomode.

Best comparison would be for someone like jube with a HD capture card to grab the car from forza 3 in a replay, where it does not use the high poly model.

Yeah.

Still though its all about what you do with the polys and PD has made games like GT3/4 look more realistic than Xbox/360/PC games because of this. So even with lower res models it can still look better.

I hope this isn't locked until GT5 is out so we can do a real comparison. The tracks will look better by that time and we will know about all its features.

Kaz said on G4TV that they have been working on their tire physics model so it seems to me that he recognizes the strengths of Forza and PC sims and wants to incorporate it in GT5. After playing more FM3 and comparing it to the TT it feels like the tire physics in Forza is superior but the weight transfer and how the car balances feels better in GT. The center of gravity feels too low in Forza 3. Ironically it felt too high in FM2.

Noshino

PumpkinPie said:
I think F3 should win by default for having a development time that is actually within the average lifespan of a human.

Well, of course they can accomplish that, given that they don't do nearly as much as PD :lol

Between GT4 and GT5, they have worked on these projects

GT Portable
GT4 Online (beta release)
GT for Boys (was in development, ended up implemented in GT5)
GT HD (demo released)
GT5 Prologue
Tourist Trophy

On top of collaborations within the automotive industry...

Remind me again, what projects have Turn 10 worked on since 2005? :p

Alex

While I have no love for either franchise, I feel compelled to offer my opinion that demos and R&D projects for GT5 that had working titles applied to them don't really count as anything.

Also, as one title I did spend time with beyond demo play, Gran Turismo PSP is so bad that it should cost you entries off of your list. It's a fair form of erosion, in my opinion.

Noshino

Alex said:
While I have no love for either franchise, I feel compelled to offer my opinion that demos and R&D projects for GT5 that had working titles applied to them don't really count as anything.

Uh, why not? it still time spent working, and its not like the work was wasted.

Also, as one title I did spend time with beyond demo play, Gran Turismo PSP is so bad that it should cost you entries off of your list. It's a fair form of erosion, in my opinion.

:lol

Anyway, even if we are to not count some of them, what about these

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/collaboration.html
(its missing the GT Data Logger Visualization with Toyota)

Im sorry, but they still have accomplished more...

Wazzim

Banned
Diablohead said:

Like what I said earlier, why the hell would the GT5 trailer be 100% ingame? They also used a higher detail/resolution trailer with GTPSP, GT1/4 so GT5 may sure be the same. We really have to wait for some direct feed screens of GT5.
Now F3 may be more impressive because that's 100% running on a 360 for sure (even if it's photomode) while the GT5 trailer may be from the PC.

Didn't GT4 have higher res photomode models? Maybe they are using those. Maybe there are even higher res versions from the PD vault. They could just as well be using those to 'upscale' the non-premium vehicles.

NinjaBoiX

PumpkinPie said:
I wouldn't know, I don't buy games with epic screen tearing.
That's a shame for you dude, some of the best games this gen tear like a mofo. I say get over yourself, you are missing some awesome games!

-viper-

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
Didn't GT4 have higher res photomode models? Maybe they are using those. Maybe there are even higher res versions from the PD vault. They could just as well be using those to 'upscale' the non-premium vehicles.
GT4 Photomode

260766e.jpg

GT5

30u8dx3.jpg

Mush said:
The best of both worlds?

What's that from?

-viper- said:
GT4 Photomode

GT5

These look like the same models to me, I know people have argued the opposite, but I can't see any extra detail on the GT5 model.

Trickster said:
I think it's clear to anyone that the reason the GT5 version looks better, is thanks to the lighting being much better in GT5 than GT4

That's clear to most, but some insist they must have upped the geometry, on the basis that... they must have!

Trickster

Graphics Horse said:
These look like the same models to me, I know people have argued the opposite, but I can't see any extra detail on the GT5 model.

I think it's clear to anyone that the reason the GT5 version looks better, is thanks to the lighting being much better in GT5 than GT4

Haunted

Chrange said:
So sad, people who used to be able to tell if a distant car in a Forza shot had 10 less polys are now nearly blind. Mom always said that too much would make you blind :lol
:lol

KaYotiX

Banned
ResidentDante said:
Anybody in this thread who loves cars and racing, that simply ignores either GT5/FM3 because it's on "the other scary console that I hate" simply don't deserve racing anything else but Ridge Racers and Burnouts forever! :lol

this x's 100000000

Noshino said:
Well, of course they can accomplish that, given that they don't do nearly as much as PD :lol

Between GT4 and GT5, they have worked on these projects

GT Portable
GT4 Online (beta release)
GT for Boys (was in development, ended up implemented in GT5)

GT HD (demo released)
GT5 Prologue
Tourist Trophy

On top of collaborations within the automotive industry...

Remind me again, what projects have Turn 10 worked on since 2005? :p

Because Turn 10 didn't waste a lot of their time on projects that they end up canning/putting on hold indefinately/releasing eventually in no set time frame/still haven't released....? They don't do nearly as much faffing about with shit that's not important as PD do. But shame on Turn 10 for releasing well reviewed full games.

Top Bottom