• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Haunted

Firewire said:
It really does.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Didn't stop people from comparing a game which wasn't out to a full game like Forza 3. It looked better then (GT5) and now.....well.......I say no more.
Metalmurphy said:
That didn't stop most people from comparing Forza 3 to GT5P. And that was 2 years apart.
chespace said:
Most video games?
Fuck yeah, everyone's back!

Get Rapping Granny and modus in here and let's get this party started again!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
theignoramus said:
That's what he said.
Not your falsification.:lol
You stood that one phrase on its head and even distorted it.
THANK YOU. I stand by my words.

And f yea Haunted, you true OG mother son of the B. Let's get it on you rat bastard :p

p3tran said:
one of us must have a reading problem :lol
he was answering a specific question about forza and features, many years ago.
The word "cheap" wasnt in there, you inserted it, then stood the three word phrase on its head to make it seem like a nasty dig, Greenawalt style.

skyfinch

Firewire said:
I'm being serious. Out of curiosity what would you gauge it on? Did it have to perform a certain percentage better than Forza 2 in sales (like a 30% increase or something)? Did it have to reach a certain level for the return on investment?

Anything can be called a success or failure, it depends on how one chooses to look at it.

From what I heard, Forza 2 doubled Forza 1 sales, and Forza 3 doubled Forza 2's.

It should be at 3 million by now. Leaderboards were just about 3 million, then was reset back to about 2.3 million not too long ago. I'm not sure why. People getting banned, maybe?

p3tran

Banned
all right Ignoramus, before I continue this conversation I would like to know how old are you please? you can even pm me if you dont want to answer in public.

Interfectum

p3tran said:
all right Ignoramus, before I continue this conversation I would like to know how old are you please? you can even pm me if you dont want to answer in public.

Utterly defeated, you resort to (potentially) attacking someone's age. :lol

Haunted said:
Man, just imagine Microsoft opts to not commission a fourth Forza game after Forza 3's lacklustre sales. We'd have seen the entire rise and fall of the Forza Motorsport series in the span between Gran Turismo 4 and Gran Turismo 5. :lol

lol now i really want this to happen.

Firewire

Banned
chespace said:
Yes, of course. This is a business. Forza 3 had to sell better than Forza 2, and it had to hit a certain level of ROI.

The game accomplished all of the above -- handily. It was a success for the franchise.

Hard to believe when you don't own an Xbox 360, I know.

All I wanted to know was how you gauged it, thanks for the response. I'm not sure how the last part plays into the question at all though?

p3tran said:
:lol :lol

More like "hey you meet me outside the school!"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
eso76 said:
Someone (not me, i'm lazy) should do a nice SERIOUS feature comparison at this point.

Number of cars
Number of Tracks
Different Locations
Point to point
Cars on track
Damage
Weather
Night Racing
Customization
etc etc etc

Everything considered Forza has probably been slightly ahead of GT for years but at this point GT5 probably beats Forza 64-11.
I have no idea how is Turn 10 going to respond to this
What impressed me the most about Forza 3 was the clutch modeling - with the right wheel setup, you could feel the difference between different cars as you shifted gears, particularly on slopes. I hope GT5 is equally impressive with my Fanatec setup. :D

eso76

XiaNaphryz said:
What impressed me the most about Forza 3 was the clutch modeling - with the right wheel setup, you could feel the difference between different cars as you shifted gears, particularly on slopes. I hope GT5 is equally impressive with my Fanatec setup. :D

like i said in a different thread i sure hope GT5 includes FULL support for my Fanatec.
Curious to see how clutch works in GT too.

eso76 said:
Someone (not me, i'm lazy) should do a nice SERIOUS feature comparison at this point.

Number of cars
Number of Tracks
Different Locations
Point to point
Cars on track
Damage
Weather
Night Racing
Customization
etc etc etc

Everything considered Forza has probably been slightly ahead of GT for years but at this point GT5 probably beats Forza 64-11.

I'm sure InsideSimRacing will do it. And then hopefully do it again several months later, when Forza 4 is out.

apana

EmCeeGramr said:
Redbeard blinks. It couldn't be. But it is. Staring at the other cars on the street, he can clearly tell. They are low-poly and jaggy. Terrible lighting. But this is real-life. Shaking, his hands grip the wheel as he notices the incredible lighting and texturing on his car's interior. So perfect. So beautiful.

The Forza cars drive by, inferior, ugly. They show no respect. Redbeard's knuckles are white as he grasps the wheel even harder, his teeth grinding together. How dare they. How dare they be so insolent. People are beginning to honk, for the light is green. Redbeard cares not. The fools have probably never seen more than 8 cars on a road at once. Idiots. Morons. Pieces of fucking shit. He knows what he must do.

Redbeard slams on the accelerator as his car barrels through the real world at 1080p. It's more beautiful than the old reality could ever be. But it is polluted and defiled. The pollutants must be eliminated. Redbeard slams his car into the Forzashits at high speed and watches as the crumple and roll over like the scum they are. His wheels grind up their cages and their drivers' bones. He turns his eyes towards the sidewalk. Horrified onlookers scream at the godly Car that can attack others and simply bounce off. But to Redbeard, they all have the laughing face of Evil Fucker Che Chou. He takes off towards them, too fast for Che's pathetic feet. Cheblood for the Dark Lord Kazunori. His car, no, HE, he and his car are one, absorbs the Cheblood and combusts the Cheblood and expels fumes of Cheblood and the smell of the burnt Cheblood reaches Kazunori in the high plain of Polyphony and He is most pleased at His servant. More and more blood.

The city is now a lake of blood and Redbeard is its pirate king, driving through the blood, taking in the offering to the master. Suddenly a bulge appears in the blood and what should burst from it in a sickening shower of crimson but a Chewhale, blowing lies and bullshots through its blowhole. Redbeard smiles. A worthy offering for the master. He glides through the blood now to strike down the abomination when it turns and opens its mouth. Inside is merely a massive tire with a perfect rim, with individually modeled lug nuts. Redbeard is frozen. No. No. No. His car disappears into the maw and the world and heavens are swallowed by the Chewhale.

He awakes with a scream. Redbeard looks around his room and the gleaming light of his PLAYSTATION 3 and PLAYSTATION 3 Slim assures him that it was just the dream again. It's becoming more and more frequent now. More real. Redbeard looks at the nightstand. His keys stare back at him.

"Soon, my master, soon."

I've been skimming through this thread and this is...well I have no words.

The only real question is how will Turn 10 take on GT5 feature wise. Making a game so complete certainly takes time and I don't think they have the negotiation margin with Microsoft to have a much longer development cycle. Not to mention budget. Nor I think they have as talented programmers and software engineers like they have at Polyphony (anybody can see they just dominate PS3 hardware). I dotn't think the target audience for these games cares much about kinect either...

I don't even think their relations with car makers can be compared. I enjoy every bit of Forza 3 but the bar has been raised almost sky high. What will you do Turn 10?

sechsterangriff said:
The only real question is how will Turn 10 take on GT5 feature wise. Making a game so complete certainly takes time and I don't think they have the negotiation margin with Microsoft to have a much longer development cycle. Not to mention budget. Nor I think they have as talented programmers and software engineers like they have at Polyphony (anybody can see they just dominate PS3 hardware). I dotn't think the target audience for these games cares much about kinect either...

I don't even think their relations with car makers can be compared. I enjoy every bit of Forza 3 but the bar has been raised almost sky high. What will you do Turn 10?

I'd say both developers are pretty even with how close they are to certain makes.
PD helped Nissan design the GTR's UI, T10 got to access Mclaren's(via Microsoft and Mclaren's partnership in making the spec ECU in Formula 1) CFD and Wind Tunnel Data. PD probably has easier Access to the Japanese Cars data from manufacturers and T10 worked pretty close with Audi for FM3.

G Rom

eso76 said:

Number of cars
Number of Tracks
Different Locations
Point to point
Cars on track
Damage
Weather
Night Racing
Customization
etc etc etc

Just finished this. I probably forgot some things or got things wrong. Feel free to correct me and I'll update. The number of cars from Forza isn't really representative because there is a lot of full body kits (bumpers, skirt, etc...) which could easily be counted as different cars. This comparison obviously doesn't take in account subjective things like the gameplay, look or sound which can't really be quantified.
You also have to remember that Forza 3 is a one year old game now and took "only" 2,5 years to be made when GT5 still isn't out and has been in the making for 5+ years. Turn 10 also didn't have any competition in the 5 years during which they put out 3 games (Prologue isn't a real full GT release so can't be considered as competition).

Honestly, now that GT5 is upon us (at last !:D ) and we know almost all its features, I also can't wait for the E3 2011 to arrive and see what Turn 10 will announce. I really hope that Microsoft will realize that they need to take them more seriously and allow them to make almost everything they want.
In the end, competition between developers/publishers is the best thing for us, gamers !:D

slgsb6.png

Edit : Just saw that I mixed up some dates in the table. Damn you English people, writing the wrong way !:lol

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
I'll be happy if GT5 can match or exceed the weather and night driving from Rallisport Challenge 2. Have they shown much (or any) of the rain and snow yet?

Shaneus

Len Dontree said:
I'll be happy if GT5 can match or exceed the weather and night driving from Rallisport Challenge 2. Have they shown much (or any) of the rain and snow yet?
Dude, weather and night driving from PGR4. By far the best weather effects I've seen in a racing game and a more appropriate comparison to GT5.

apana

chespace said:
That was at once disturbing and amazing.

Yeah it actually took a pretty disturbing turn towards the middle. I'm gonna have to go back and read the posts before that one. Also amazed at "Forzashits".:lol

“That said, as a fan of the series, he hasn’t done anything for me in years. So in many ways he’s handing the baton to me

"I play a lot of racing games, including PC racing games and I have not seen anything that is even within years of what we’re delivering here."

DanGreenawalt1.jpg

GT 5 feature list.
cars
• 1000 cars (800+ Standard, 200+ Premium)
- new brands include Ferrari, Maserati, Bugatti, Lamborghini, McLaren, Tesla, Red Bull Racing
- new series include NASCAR, WRC, Super GT, karting

tracks
• more than 40 tracks (more than 100 layouts)
- new real circuits include Top Gear Test Track, Daytona, Indianapolis, Spa-Francorchamps, Nürburgring, Monza
- new fictional circuits in London, Rome, Madrid, Tuscany, the Alps, the High Fens

offline:
• single race, split screen, time trial
• license tests, championships
• A-spec & B-spec
• car tuning
• 8 MP photo mode
• GTTV (compatible with PSP)

online:
• up to 16 players in a race
• private rooms, lobbies with up to 32 players
• spectator mode
• text & voice chat
• photo- en replay album
• YouTube replay upload
• time trial rankings

other features:
• cockpit view for Premium cars
• damage & roll overs (all cars)
• day-night cycle
• dynamic weather
• track creator / editor
• skidmarks & reverse lights

tech:
• up to 1080p 60fps
• up to Dolby 7.1
• custom soundtracks
• PlayStation Eye headtracking
• 3DTV support (gameplay & 3D photo mode)

also:
• all cars bought in GTPSP can be transferred to GT5 for use in Arcade Mode
• Adrian Newey was involved in a way
• Sebastian Vettel did voice WOrk

forza_motorsport_3-942224.jpg

Dan greenawalt: " How the f**k"

Kaz: "それに対処する、雌犬!"

Greenawalt: ?!?!??!

Translator San: "Deal With it, bitch!!"

a_med_IMG_2030.jpg

Jomjom

Banned
Wow to say Forza was years ahead of GT is one thing, but years ahead of anything on the PC? What the hell was he smoking?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do we know if GT5 is still using the RSX for AA? Figured they'd have moved to MLAA after Santa Monica got the ball rolling with God of War 3.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
G Rom said:
slgsb6.png

Edit : Just saw that I mixed up some dates in the table. Damn you English people, writing the wrong way !:lol

WHAT? GT5 has 30fps in replays now? Is this final?
After every single fucking GT game since the PS2 being at 60fps?

jling84 said:
Wow to say Forza was years ahead of GT is one thing, but years ahead of anything on the PC? What the hell was he smoking?
It's amazing how T10 and PD are so similar, yet so different. T10 had a lot to prove and did a great job with F3, but instead of letting the game speak for itself, all it came down to was chest beating and bravado. Alienated quite a few people who if they had instead been more humble, would have "jumped in". PD on the other hand stayed mute for most of development(to a fault) and have just let GT5 speak for itself without the silly comparisons or insults towards T10. Speaks volumes about where each team is at.

Noshino

G Rom said:
Just finished this. I probably forgot some things or got things wrong. Feel free to correct me and I'll update. The number of cars from Forza isn't really representative because there is a lot of full body kits (bumpers, skirt, etc...) which could easily be counted as different cars. This comparison obviously doesn't take in account subjective things like the gameplay, look or sound which can't really be quantified.
You also have to remember that Forza 3 is a one year old game now and took "only" 2,5 years to be made when GT5 still isn't out and has been in the making for 5+ years. Turn 10 also didn't have any competition in the 5 years during which they put out 3 games (Prologue isn't a real full GT release so can't be considered as competition).

Honestly, now that GT5 is upon us (at last !:D ) and we know almost all its features, I also can't wait for the E3 2011 to arrive and see what Turn 10 will announce. I really hope that Microsoft will realize that they need to take them more seriously and allow them to make almost everything they want.
In the end, competition between developers/publishers is the best thing for us, gamers !:D

http://i51.tinypic.com/slgsb6.png

People still bring this up? :lol

I guess GT PSP, Tourist Trophy, projects that were supposed to be released on their own but ended up being canned/implemented in GT5, and the rest of the collaborations with car manufacturers must not count eh? How many times does it have to be said?

Shurs

G Rom said:
You also have to remember that Forza 3 is a one year old game now and took "only" 2,5 years to be made when GT5 still isn't out and has been in the making for 5+ years.

Both games cost $60 at retail on day one.

Why should we give one extra credit because they had a shorter development cycle?

Noshino said:
People still bring this up? :lol

I guess GT PSP, Tourist Trophy, projects that were supposed to be released on their own but ended up being canned/implemented in GT5, and the rest of the collaborations with car manufacturers must not count eh? How many times does it have to be said?

Ya and T10 shift-deletes their game folder after each release and starts over from scratch...

Insertia

I just want to chime in after playing both Forza 3 and GT5:p.

GT5P is better looking and more fun to control. Driving the GT-R 07 in cockpit for the first time is a true holy shit moment if you're a fan of cars. GT5P is fun. AI is actually good which makes for some intense races.

Cockpits in Forza 3 suck; Turn 10 needs to go back to the drawing board. Forza 3 handles collisions a hell of a lot better than GT5P. AI sucks.

I'm more impressed with GT5P.

kaysee said:
DanGreenawalt1.jpg

GT 5 feature list.

forza_motorsport_3-942224.jpg

Dan greenawalt: " How the f**k"

Kaz: "それに対処する、雌犬!"

Greenawalt: ?!?!??!

Translator San: "Deal With it, bitch!!"

a_med_IMG_2030.jpg
:lol :lol :lol
Now add a pair of pixelated glasses descending upon smoking Kaz' face with text DEAL WITH IT underneath

Shaneus

Insertia said:
I just want to chime in after playing both Forza 3 and GT5:p.

GT5P is better looking and more fun to control. Driving the GT-R 07 in cockpit for the first time is a true holy shit moment if you're a fan of cars. GT5P is fun. AI is actually good which makes for some intense races.

Cockpits in Forza 3 suck; Turn 10 needs to go back to the drawing board. Forza 3 handles collisions a hell of a lot better than GT5P. AI sucks.

I'm more impressed with GT5P.
I only just started playing GT5P recently, too. I actually think that the car models are slightly better in Forza 3 (at least, most of them... some are hideous) but is let down massively by the lighting and self-shadowing, which Polyphony have nailed. The driving model also feels tighter in F3, but with GT5P being what it is (essentially a blown-out demo) I wasn't expecting it to be as good.

With the amount of assists in F3, it felt like it could be tailored a lot more to one's own personal driving style and skill level, whereas that doesn't seem to be available in GT5P. Collisions were also woeful in GT5P, but we've all seen how much of that has changed with TGS.

Overall, it's good to see that there's leapfrogging with the release of each of Turn 10's/Polyphony's games (well, with F2/GT5P/F3/GT5) but I just don't see how Turn 10 can possibly come close to what GT5 is offering now. Hopefully they can better it (get the guys who worked on weather for PGR4 on the case? Full lighting for each track?) but seriously doubt that there's much more they (or even anyone) can get out of the 360.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
bishoptl said:
this is my most successful thread EVER

:lol Just wait for the sequel: Forza 6 vs GT 6 Thread of Bigger, Badder, More Trolling. ;)

>>GT vs Forza actual discussion with no trolling<<

Wow.

That said: I like Forza's car customization and the physics in 1 was light years ahead of GT + Point-to-point/time trials and car damage made it my "car sim but I don't like to race, fuck that shit. Let me just drive" game on the X-box 1.

Forza 2 dropped point-to-point WHYYYY, and I didn't play anything beyond a cheap copy of GT3 when I picked up my PS2 years later.

Fast forward to now: Forza 3 still didn't have point-to-point (unless it's been added) the physics were better than 2's, but still didn't "drive right" on a controller like the X-box/Forza 1 did.

GT5 is coming out with a bunch of features (and a random generated point-to-point? THANK YOU GOD! Just let me turn it from being a race into a time-trial and let me fucking forget the timer exists and just DRIVE, patch this shit in Kaz), and the physics reworked. Damage is slowly coming in.

GT5's been a long time coming, but for the first time since GT1, I feel it's worth the wait and buying.

I really hope GT6 improves on these features, improves the physics/damage and starts to include a custom paint job stuff that Forza has had in spades since the first.

Quick edit: What I want from both is:

Controller being kept in mind for some people that don't want to drop $100-200+ on a driving wheel (I'll get one eventually, but I'm not that hardcore), and the physics on controllers acting accordingly to where it feels close to a driving wheel.

Paint customs in both.
Damage in both.

NO FUCKING LICENSE TESTS, or at least an option to skip them. Jesus they're the worst part of GT's simulation/career mode. Which dove tails into:

JUST LET ME FUCKING DRIVE. For those that love to race, good. They have career and online and blah blah blah. But give me an option to fuck about with default cars, tweak them, and just drive point-to-point or laps on tracks without a timer and without racing. Just a casual "test-drive" mode. The test-drive mode of Forza's tweaking options (IIRC) was close, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Yoboman

G Rom said:

slgsb6.png

Lots of misinformation there

Omiee

FTWer said:
WHAT? GT5 has 30fps in replays now? Is this final?
After every single fucking GT game since the PS2 being at 60fps?

thats bullshit gamersyde uploaded vids of replay with 60FPS i think.
and that list has a lot of mis information stuff.

Gek54

lunlunqq said:
sorta show the differences in the developer's attitudes.

My favorite is Greenawalt, in a podcast before FM3 hit, state that he was bored of racing and preferred drifting. Then we get Forza 3 with its drift happy permanent autosteering aid.

Shaneus

Omiee said:
thats bullshit gamersyde uploaded vids of replay with 60FPS i think.
and that list has a lot of mis information stuff.
The Gamersyde videos are in 60fps. You can clearly see (even though it's off screen) that the replays are 30 while the in-game is 60.

Top Bottom