• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Gek54

Xun said:
Hence why I said "first" instead of first.

What GT included it?

Edit: Just noticed your edit, I knew Forza had the coloured line thing before GT, that's what I was referring to.

GT4 Prologue had the driving line back in 2003

schennmu said:
So this is Forza?

2vt64c8.jpg

Which is GT then?

2ynoxzs.jpg

OR

Sara_Carbonero_verfamosos_com.jpg

Gafapastismo said:
Which is GT then?

http://i55.tinypic.com/e6ulx0.jpg[img]

OR

[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MbAypyQ0Mxw/TITHgUjjQMI/AAAAAAAABYE/_OixCoHoRQI/s640/Sara_Carbonero_verfamosos_com.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Not enough substance

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2ijqa13.jpg

sorry

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
amar212 said:
I really do not know what T10 - or any other developer/franchise to be honest - have in their sleeves to compete with such a overall-bahamuth as GT5 undoubtfully is.

kaz casts megaflare on che

Shaneus

Did we hear much about tyre physics implementation in GT5 before it was championed in Forza 3? I seem to remember not hearing anything about PD seriously focusing on it until Turn 10 spoke about how much they put into modelling it, but I could be wrong.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Shaneus said:
Did we hear much about tyre physics implementation in GT5 before it was championed in Forza 3? I seem to remember not hearing anything about PD seriously focusing on it until Turn 10 spoke about how much they put into modelling it, but I could be wrong.

We just did not hear much about anything GT5 really. They always play their cards close to their vest rather than talk about a game before it comes out. I mean they held back so much stuff until so close before release. And it was the same with their other games too, including stuff that was not even mentioned before release that was only discovered upon buying it.

Flavius said:
I'm enjoying your posting.

Better game over the last few iterations? I suppose if you want to count Prologue, you can at least say Forza was around for one of them. ;)
yes, I'd include the various GT5 micro-releases, along with GT4. Forza has owned the last 6 years. not sure there's a debate there. it's been a good run for Turn10, but that party is likely to end in a couple of months. only remaining question for GT is how robust and powerful its physics engine is and how it compares to Forza 3.

schennmu said:
So this is Forza?

2vt64c8.jpg
I don't know that Forza was that ugly :lol

gimmie an 7.5 chick in looks with a 10 in talent and a lot of creative style of her own and we'll have Forza.

Quincey

Banned
I am getting pretty damn hyped for this game. Its really the only PS3 game on my radar besides Uncharted 3. November can't come soon enough. It is still coming out in November, right?

StuBurns

Banned
Quincey said:
I am getting pretty damn hyped for this game. Its really the only PS3 game on my radar besides Uncharted 3. November can't come soon enough. It is still coming out in November, right?
Yeah.

KHarvey16

amar212 said:
Rewind existed long before Forza.

Although mainstream think it was introduced with Grid, it was executed many years ago in SCAR Alfa Romeo game by Milestone.

So not a real "influence" there, if rewind is even in GT5, which we do not know.

I get the feeling you're being serious :lol.

This is what I'm talking about now with the straight up delusional quality of some of these posts. If rewind is in GT5 or is even being discussed by the GT team, it's because it was in Forza. That's not a bad thing!

Metalmurphy said:
GT5 suffered ONE delay.

One official delay if you ask me.

Polyphony Digital was distributing these at GamesCom 2009.
gam_gt5brochure_580.jpg

What this says to me is that internally they had more than one target release date, which is perfectly normal. Or do you really believe they started with the Japan March 2010 from the get-go?

Amir0x

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Except there is absolutely no comparison now. GT5 is high on its own mountain. Read up on the crazy work PD has done to make sure this is the best handling driver around. The rest of the game speaks for itself. The content is second to none.

Yeah I mean listen guys I liked the Forza games. I still do, really. They were a good stop gap while they were figuring out where to go after GT4.

But at this point this thread is more like a funeral for the Forza titles than a comparison thread. What is there to compare on anymore? It's like on every point, GT5 is so far beyond that it's like a different generation of games.

Iknos said:
You do realize that things like night/day and weather were planned for Forza 3 right?

Those features are expected for FM4.

Its like we couldn't compare GT5P to FM3...and now we can't compare FM3 to GT5.

So it might be unfair to compare GT5 to FM4.

I have no doubt that many of the things GT5 is doing will be included in FM4. I do however have very much doubt that Forza 4 will provide the complete package that GT5 does. I don't even think it's possible for a developer like Turn 10, unless Microsoft decides to be very fucking generous for a very fucking long period of time. The amount of content and modes and online features and general assload of options is just unparalleled. Forza 3 was not even close. Forza 4 might get closer still, but I doubt they'll be allowed the development time they'd need to match it (or even get close).

It's not really a comparison anymore. You may indeed do your little comparison and I'll amuse myself by reading it, but it's a lost fucking battle. GT5 slaughters it in its sleep

mil6es

but but but they have a auction house and livery editor!!!!!

only thing I truely loved about Forza was the multilayer in F2, yeah it had its faults but it was truly great and had me playing up until F3 came out and then they destroyed it.......not saying the rest was crap or anything but that was the stand out feature for me, Its a shame really....... i truly think F2 is better than F3

.......used truly way to much in that sentence, back to English lessons for me :D

Niks

amar212 said:
And all of those options/features in-game structure-wise have clearly been made as new foundation, in order to being expanded in the next game (GT6 will obviusly come on PS3 in next 2-3 years). So, everything that GT5 is lacking will probably be executioned oin GT6, in the similar way GT4 delivered 3X more content features than GT3 for example. Having foundations like those just shows what monumental work have they done in previous years, managing the frame they can now expand flawlessly for probably almost a decade. When I see GT5, I see GT6. I see all cars being Premium, I see weather/time of day on every track, I see revamped 3D support (when even more people will actually have 3D sets), expanded Course Maker feature, expanded GT Anywhere feature, expanded online and community features and futher improvements in all fields we probably do not think about. They have knowledge, tech, money and crazy amount of ideas to do it.

My thoughts exactly.
Though I think GT6 will come out for the PS4, of course it depends on how much juice this gen can still squeeze out of the current consoles.

mil6es

Amir0x said:
I have no doubt that many of the things GT5 is doing will be included in FM4. I do however have very much doubt that Forza 4 will provide the complete package that GT5 does. I don't even think it's possible for a developer like Turn 10, unless Microsoft decides to be very fucking generous for a very fucking long period of time. The amount of content and modes and online features and general assload of options is just unparalleled. Forza 3 was not even close. Forza 4 might get closer still, but I doubt they'll be allowed the development time they'd need to match it (or even get close).

You gotta thing as well, where are they gonna store all of these new features and content, they already have to use to dvds for 400 cars and 50 tracks......cue the forza 4 version of the FF13 dvd case pic

Senua

Gold Member
mil6es said:
but but but they have a auction house and livery editor!!!!!

only thing I truely loved about Forza was the multilayer in F2, yeah it had its faults but it was truly great and had me playing up until F3 came out and then they destroyed it.......not saying the rest was crap or anything but that was the stand out feature for me, Its a shame really....... i truly think F2 is better than F3

.......used truly way to much in that sentence, back to English lessons for me :D
forza 2 online was awesome when you found proper racers, but most of the time it was kids just playing destruction derby and fighting over the mics

Amir0x

Banned
mil6es said:
You gotta thing as well, where are they gonna store all of these new features and content, they already have to use to dvds for 400 cars and 50 tracks......cue the forza 4 version of the FF13 dvd case pic

heh. Well, Forza 4 is not coming out for 360...is it?

mil6es

haha true but I only used to race the Nurb Ring A class with either my z06 corvette or 911 turbo, oh those where the days :lol Racers were clean on that track, well accept for those damn missile cars

Amir0x said:

touche I didnt really thing of that....

Amir0x

Banned
sechsterangriff said:
Well they were careful not to call the game on E3 2010 Forza 4...

i would hardly call playing with Kinect a step in the right direction for a simulation racing series anyway :lol

if they want to go down that road they'll really never compete with Gran Turismo again!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Amir0x said:
I don't know if Turn 10 even knows that. All the Kinect stuff they showed at E3 was stuff that they're not sure how it will be released if I remember the interviews.

lunlunqq

How about we compare the TGS10 Sony ladies to MS girls? It's a much more interesting comparison anyways. :D

Sony... Mmmm~~~~~~
25phbuv.jpg

33pbl2s.jpg

MS... Wowww~~~~
eio74y.jpg

inyflj.jpg

Which side wins?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
edit- oh, here we go:

After seeing Forza Motorsport's implementation of Kinect during the Microsoft press conference this morning, tonight we had a chance to play it for ourselves as well as chat with Turn 10 creative director Dan Greenawalt. First thing's first: Greenawalt made it clear that we saw today was not a downloadable update or patch for the copy of Forza Motorsport 3 you have sitting on your shelf at home. This is a stand-alone package, complete with visual improvements that you wouldn't see without significant updates to the core game engine. However, what that package entails is still a big question mark: Turn 10 and Microsoft wouldn't say whether this was a sneak peak at Forza 4, Forza 3: Connect Edition, or what have you. Time will tell on that one.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6265421/forza-3-kinect-impressions

So the next Forza release is a Kinect edition, or something I guess.

RavenFox

Banned
DMPrince said:
it's like being arrogant is a new thing with microsoft. they've been acting like that way too much lately.
You must have just discovered this company called Microsoft. Please start at the beginning of the book.
travisbickle said:
The best looking exclusive games are all on the PS3.

Microsoft (and all of us) knew what level of visual quality Sony was aspiring to when the pre-rendered video for KZ2 came out all those years ago.

Microsoft have had very-talented developers working exclusively on the system. Now, after all these years, with the 360 console being in developers hands for longer and supposedly easier to work with we haven't seen a game that matches the visual quality of KZ2, Uncharted 2, GOW3, GT5 .... it is obvious the 360 can't be exploited in the same way as the PS3.
Pretty much what I said a few post back. Even with disc space it wouldn't matter.

Flavius said:
I'm enjoying your posting.

Better game over the last few iterations? I suppose if you want to count Prologue, you can at least say Forza was around for one of them. ;)
I'd argue the only time Forza could have really been called the better franchise was Forza 1 vs GT4 (better graphics, physics, and online vs more cars), but even then Turn 10 had the advantage of working on the Xbox, which had a better CPU/GPU and Xbox Live. Had Polyphony Digital had an Xbox-caliber platform to work with at the time, I don't think they would've ever "lost" the crown. People would just be saying, "Well let's play Forza 2/3 while we wait for GT5."

I think the guys at Turn 10 have the potential to create games on the level of Gran Turismo, but MS keeps them on too tight of a leash to get the job done. They just don't have the time or money to invest in that amount of content, nor the numerous licensing deals that come with the success a franchise like GT enjoys.

sechsterangriff said:
One official delay if you ask me.

Polyphony Digital was distributing these at GamesCom 2009.
gam_gt5brochure_580.jpg

What this says to me is that internally they had more than one target release date, which is perfectly normal. Or do you really believe they started with the Japan March 2010 from the get-go?

That specifically says "estimated release" for a reason.

Flavius

makingmusic476 said:
I'd argue the only time Forza could have really been called the better franchise was Forza 1 vs GT4 (better graphics, physics, and online vs more cars), but even then Turn 10 had the advantage of working on the Xbox, which had a better CPU/GPU and Xbox Live. Had Polyphony Digital had an Xbox-caliber platform to work with at the time, I don't think they would've ever "lost" the crown. People would just be saying, "Well let's play Forza 2/3 while we wait for GT5."

I think the guys at Turn 10 have the potential to create games on the level of Gran Turismo, but MS keeps them on too tight of a leash to get the job done. They just don't have the time or money to invest in that amount of content, nor the numerous licensing deals that come with the success a franchise like GT enjoys.

I like the cut of your jib.

Of course, I'd also say Turn10 is also short someone of Yamauchi's vision/humility/talent/dedication to the craft. He isn't someone merely thrust into the proverbial limelight by the suits as a marketing stunt. The games are, while obviously a team effort, very much a reflection of the man.

Flavius said:
I like the cut of your jib.

Of course, I'd also say Turn10 is also short someone of Yamauchi's vision/humility/talent/dedication to the craft. He isn't someone merely thrust into the proverbial limelight by the suits as a marketing stunt. The games are, while obviously a team effort, very much a reflection of the man.

The fact that one person has a Major in physics and the other one in religion also says alot.

spwolf

makingmusic476 said:

well look at what happened here... with FM, T10 tries to create better GT... and now check GT5 - these guys go beyond anything ever seen.

So it is definitely not wrong to say that Forza competes with GT but GT competes only with itself.

As to the money, I said it before and I will say it again. Only reason GT gets so much development money, is because it sells so well. If Forza sold the same, it would have same budget. Besides, I doubt Turn10 has small budget anyway.

spwolf said:
well look at what happened here... with FM, T10 tries to create better GT... and now check GT5 - these guys go beyond anything ever seen.

So it is definitely not wrong to say that Forza competes with GT but GT competes only with itself.

As to the money, I said it before and I will say it again. Only reason GT gets so much development money, is because it sells so well. If Forza sold the same, it would have same budget. Besides, I doubt Turn10 has small budget anyway.

forza since it's inception has been above what's been produced by PD, only now, with GT5 has PD produced a title that once again goes above what forza has provided.

So yes, GT does directly compete with forza, and without forza, PD wouldn't be pushed to go above and beyond.

Top Bottom