• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Tiduz said:
308wcud.jpg

Awesome collision :lol :lol :lol

JWong

Banned
Iknos said:
You can substitute Kart with Nascar and WRC. It ends up being different cars.

No new physics...no new graphics engine.
You know how most F1 racers start their career?

Yeah, Kart racing is a part of the career.

Atomski

TylerD said:
Yeah, karting is not important at all in racing seeing how it is usually the first form of racing that guys like this start out doing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_PJqM-sRc

I don't know, seems pretty fitting to me.

NASCAR is huge in America too and it happens to be much much more than driving around in circles and turning left.

Meh cart racing is fun in real life but in a videogame? come on.. leave it to mario kart.

Also I live in the south I know about nascar. It sucks.. its just an excuse for rednecks to get together drink beer and sniff burned rubber. If you get a track that has turns the drivers bitch its no fun. I would not be suprised if Nascar was planed (scripted) like wrestling. :lol

Honestly if they should have just left it out and released the game earlier.

adelante

Metalmurphy said:
Give me a break, he did ask for 48, I even gave him 50. It's not like I listed "better shaders" "better textures" "better lighting" etc. Infact I don't think I listed any "subset" of better graphics at all.
I'm comparing like for like here, stuff that Forza already have but seems to have been improved or added upon in GT5. You really don't think, "insanely detailed cockpits", "detailed drivers" simply suggests more polygon count or higher texture detail? Lol please.

TylerD

BYE! :lol Pretty sure that is bannable there crap...

Atomski said:
Meh cart racing is fun in real life but in a videogame? come on.. leave it to mario kart.

Also I live in the south I know about nascar. It sucks.. its just an excuse for rednecks to get together drink beer and sniff burned rubber. If you get a track that has turns the drivers bitch its no fun. I would not be suprised if Nascar was planed (scripted) like wrestling. :lol

I take it you have never been to a race? I am going on record and saying that I am also not a redneck. When you witness what those guys are doing in person and how fast and close they are racing and feel 35000 horsepower... you would think about NASCAR differently. Some drivers lose 10-12 lbs during races too.

It is a more than welcome inclusion into Gran Turismo IMO.

Voyevoda007

Neo Member
Atomski said:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man

adelante said:
I'm comparing like for like here, stuff that Forza already have but seems to have been improved or added upon in GT5. You really don't think, "insanely detailed cockpits", "detailed drivers" simply suggests more polygon count or higher texture detail? Lol please.
Really, who is grasping for straws now?

Fine, remove those 2 from the list. :lol

But add this one,

- Fully modeled real world drivers.

Iknos

JWong said:
You know how most F1 racers start their career?

Yeah, Kart racing is a part of the career.

Yeah. It is also a GREAT way of getting GT newbies started.

Many people are turned off by the game's difficulty...and while Karts have their own challenges they are easier to learn than when trying to race different cars with different handling characteristics. They are very responsive and when racing on tracks like Tsukuba or Suzuka there is enough width in the track to correct mistakes like braking too late.

It's a great addition considering its much like adding a new car. The effort/payoff ratio is good and its a feature that players can actually use and learn from.

I'm just regurgitating stuff I've posted in previous threads...you don't need to tell me how great of a feature that is.

metalmurphy that is a great list...while a dozen of them were bunk or Forza has it already a good 30 are features GT does have over Forza. But someone can probably do the same for Forza as well. You doubled up some features and someone can do the same for Forza too. Some features that are in reality insignificant could be listed too. "Hoppers" is something Forza has over GT but it isn't a great feature.

I think when I do the comparison people can see the definite edge each game has over each other. I think modelling real world drivers is great personally but the reality is that having a racing livery on my car during a race is a more relevant and important feature in a racer.

adelante

Metalmurphy said:
Nah, I consider that to be a feature that Forza 3 doesn't have.
Might as well go ahead and list "better game" if you're gonna be that vague. For starters, I'd have "significantly better lighting model" in there since it's something immediately apparent based on screenshot comparisons alone :D

Trickster

Metalmurphy said:

Now, I'm not one to deny that GT5 has more stuff than FM3. Because it does, we know this. But listing things like weather, dynamic weather, snow, dynamic snow. Come on man, that's just silly :lol

adelante

Trickster said:
Now, I'm not one to deny that GT5 has more stuff than FM3. Because it does, we know this. But listing things like weather, dynamic weather, snow, dynamic snow. Come on man, that's just silly :lol
List wars never made any sense I guess, kinda hard to tell if people posting them are just being sarcastic

Iknos said:
That looks like Dan Greenawalt.

Btw I'm not necessarily defending Forza here I know GT5 will be the better game.

But there is a whole lot of hyperbole going on here and I have to point it out.

It's the responsible thing to do.

No you don't.

Iknos

adelante said:
List wars never made any sense I guess, kinda hard to tell if people posting them are just being sarcastic

Didn't take it seriously at first...until I saw him clarifying something after. Still I like a lot of that list and glad he took the time to make it even if it was a bit silly.

My comparison is going to be far more comprehensive. There is actually a team of GT and Forza fans helping me make it. It may be a video in the end...because it will get technical and we need illustrations and animations.

Stillmatic

Iknos said:
My comparison is going to be far more comprehensive. There is actually a team of GT and Forza fans helping me make it. It may be a video in the end...because it will get technical and we need illustrations and animations.
Is it going to be the same team of people that sent you back pats via PM for shitting up the other GT5 thread?

Shaneus

Trickster said:
:lol That's exactly what I thought... NASCAR, NASCAR school, WRC, WRC school, track editor, randomly generated rally tracks... yeah. Most of your arguments are quite valid, but when you post stuff like this it just makes you look like a one-eyed fanboy.

PS. You missed 3D support (and 3D rain, 3D snow, 3D car wash, 3D damage modelling...) ;)

Iknos said:
Didn't take it seriously at first...until I saw him clarifying something after. Still I like a lot of that list and glad he took the time to make it even if it was a bit silly.

Really :lol :lol
Your going to get technical how ??

crap1 said:
Shows what the 360 is really capable of. *shrugs*
:lol Are you insane? One car in a barren landscape and not only that, it was a video...I bet you even the Wii could render a high res model like that if it was tasked with only doing one freaking model with next to nothing else.

Edit: beaten

adelante

Iknos said:

Awesome...looking forward to that video if it gets produced. GT5 deserves high praise for sure but those that border on worship? I guess that's the point of this thread :lol Things don't even get this crazy this often over at GTPlanet

Stillmatic said:
Is it going to be the same team of people that sent you back pats via PM for shitting up the other GT5 thread?
:lol As if anyone will take him seriously.

adelante said:
Awesome...looking forward to that video if it gets produced. GT5 deserves high praise for sure but those that border on worship? I guess that's the point of this thread :lol Things don't even get this crazy this often over at GTPlanet
Some people need to stop. Think back to when the thread was created and try, real, real hard to recall the things they posted.

Shaneus said:
:lol That's exactly what I thought... NASCAR, NASCAR school, WRC, WRC school, track editor, randomly generated rally tracks... yeah. Most of your arguments are quite valid, but when you post stuff like this it just makes you look like a one-eyed fanboy.

PS. You missed 3D support (and 3D rain, 3D snow, 3D car wash, 3D damage modelling...) ;)

Don't see what funny both snow and rain are going to effect the car and tracks differently.
Same thing for the NASCAR \ NASCAR School your going to be able to drive NASCAR and NASCAR School is going to teach you the rules of the sport with one most well know drivers in the sport.

Yes you can make your own tacks but there's a mode where the game randomly makes tracks for you to race .
Where no one will know how the track is , giving the person with better driving skills the edge since you won't know the tracks before hand.

mintylurb

Iknos said:

I for one can't wait for your comprehensive comparison video. Only a true fz/gt fan like yourself can do a proper comparison. Keep up the good work. Che's former job will be yours in no time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
crap1 said:
Shows what the 360 is really capable of. *shrugs*

Yeah, bro. Bullshots.

Those are from the E3 Kinnect Demo for Forza 3/4. How about waiting and posting in-game screenshots for Forza 4 in a year or two?

Iknos

Stillmatic said:

:lol Talking about how the cameras work is "shitting up the thread" for only a few people...same people who like to talk about my posts rather than the game itself right?

gundamkyoukai said:
Really :lol :lol
Your going to get technical how ??

Graphics! :lol Physics!:lol

Funny!

CrushDance said:
:lol As if anyone will take him seriously.

I know you and your crew won't but I don't post with you guys in mind as my audience. Maybe I'll take a pic of my semen splattered all over the GT5 game disc to make you guys happy because I'm a nice guy but everyone who follows my posts here know I'm never like that for games I like. You should really stay away from the Sonic 4 thread in fact.

For the rest of us here was the info I was talking about:

Weather
Night/day
Active aero (again!)
Widebody kits with 12 inch wheels
Some really cool driver animations
Some digital gauge animations
Custom underbodies (with rollover comes undercarriage modeling - unfortunately, all the cars use a generic layouts, so sometimes they are wrong; like the Lamborghinis have the transmission rearward of the engine instead of infront, etc.)
Super high level of detail car models in replays (Currently the super high detailed models are used in the UI homespace/garage, thumbnails, livery editor, and photo mode).
No exposed suspension cars like Ariel Atoms, Lotus 340Rs or Caterhams, even though T10 owns PGR and they had the tech to model working suspensions.

Most of the cuts came about because there is immense pressure to hit the release date. There are careers on the line with this one, because FM1 and FM2 were so late. There WILL be a game called FM3 ready to go for October, the only question has been what kind of game it will be.

No WTCC cars,

There will Australian Supercars though, both Holdens and Fords. And NASCAR cars in all their asymetrical glory

The driver animations were patched in so you never know how close they were to some of these things.

Greenawalt claimed he was a low level employee who was wrong on a lot of things but in retrospect he was bang on...sounds like damage control from Greenawalt.

Shaneus

Hey Iknos, has there been word that most (if not all) the code from PGR has been handed to Turn 10? Any stipulation on whether the data has to be used for another PGR game or whether it can be incorporated into a future Forza game?

I remember thinking that the logical thing to happen would be that T10 would take over PGR and that the raw data, belonging to MS, would go to them, but never read anything concrete.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gek54 said:
Now you are just taking too many cues from Amirox.

Wait... Amir0x, actually... did this?

Holy fuck, I don't want to know what game made Ami do that. :|

Iknos said:
Graphics!

Do you know any thing about GFX engines ?
Does any body on your team know how PD can get 16 cars on the track.
The same for how they can do there weather effects and how it effect the game engine .
How about explaining how there damage model is dynamic and how is it work comapre to can damage.

If your going get technical i hope not to see stuff that any person can point out with ease.

Iknos

gundamkyoukai said:
Do you know any thing about GFX engines ?
Does any body on your team know how PD can get 16 cars on the track.
The same for how they can do there weather effects and how it effect the game engine .
How about explaining how there damage model is dynamic and how is it work comapre to can damage.

If your going get technical i hope not to see stuff that any person can point out with ease.

Yeah don't worry about that stuff :) Even down to how both games do the same sort of things differently and what it means for performance.

Iknos said:
Yeah don't worry about that stuff :) Even down to how both games do the same sort of things differently and what it means for performance.

Well i should look forward to it.
EDIT i have way to many post in thread now time to bail out .

Iknos

Shaneus said:
Hey Iknos, has there been word that most (if not all) the code from PGR has been handed to Turn 10? Any stipulation on whether the data has to be used for another PGR game or whether it can be incorporated into a future Forza game?

I remember thinking that the logical thing to happen would be that T10 would take over PGR and that the raw data, belonging to MS, would go to them, but never read anything concrete.

All I know about it is what that very post I quoted said.

Apart from that I know that PGR4 was not able to get any further patches when Activision bought BC...which maybe tells us that they didn't even keep some of the people to fix bugs or add content...if we try to read into it too much.

Likely any retained talent was distributed to work on future projects and MS decided that it didn't make sense to do more bug fixes for PGR4.

gundamkyoukai said:
Well i should look forward to it.
EDIT i have way to many post in thread now time to bail out .

Graphics wise it's going to be extremely one sided in favour of GT but it should still be interesting to a lot of people because its a work of art from a technical standpoint.

A lot of it relies on tricks and people will be interested to see that Forza does some graphical things better but the cost is too much for the reward.

For example they model grass in 3D in Forza but it's a front facing polygon in GT...almost like a sprite. The end result with PDs better artists is that GTs grass looks far superior to Forzas and it didn't cost them much so they could put more polys in their cars. And guess what the grass moves too...reacts to cars driving by.

PD's graphical and artistic abilities are almost incomparable in this industry let alone other racing game developers. The ability to make better looking grass that animates to boot with only 2 polygons than the competitor that uses 10 polygons really sums up their abilities.

Iknos said:
All I know about it is what that very post I quoted said.

Apart from that I know that PGR4 was not able to get any further patches when Activision bought BC...which maybe tells us that they didn't even keep some of the people to fix bugs or add content...if we try to read into it too much.

Likely any retained talent was distributed to work on future projects and MS decided that it didn't make sense to do more bug fixes for PGR4.

Graphics wise it's going to be extremely one sided in favour of GT but it should still be interesting to a lot of people because its a work of art from a technical standpoint.

A lot of it relies on tricks and people will be interested to see that Forza does some graphical things better but the cost is too much for the reward.

For example they model grass in 3D in Forza but it's a front facing polygon in GT...almost like a sprite. The end result with PDs better artists is that GTs grass looks far superior to Forzas and it didn't cost them much so they could put more polys in their cars. And guess what the grass moves too...reacts to cars driving by.

PD's graphical and artistic abilities are almost incomparable in this industry let alone other racing game developers. The ability to make better looking grass that animates to boot with only 2 polygons than the competitor that uses 10 polygons really sums up their abilities.

I hightly doubt anyone of you guys can make a proper "technical" comparison beyond what is already apparent. All you guys will do is quote what DF has said already. Talk about the differences in alpha to pass rendering, normal maps, lod models, lighting, etc.

PD's graphical edge isn't due to their "artistry." On the contrary, they are very bland in their recreations, and that's what they do correctly. They focus on the lighting engine that they use (which is licensed by Autodesk Illuminate Labs), their AA, and their graphical fidelity in terms of sheer polygonal data.

Their weather system is a basic sprite based system. Water drops and streaks are all sprites that are dynamically affected by the aerodynamics of the vehicle. Same for snow. The moisture in the track is basic normal mapping and specular mapping to get that wet affect. It's all simple things.

Both do 3D to 2D wheel swaps when the wheels start to move fast enough. There is nothing to talk about that no one already doesn't know about.

Also, regardless of what takes more of a performance hit, neither is relevant considering the hardware its on are different.

Gek54 said:
You all know you will come back to Forza once you realize you cant desecrate your 997 with Hello Kitty

snup4s.jpg
so now we're knocking the ability to customize your car's appearence to the Nth degree by using a singular example that you intentionally chose knowing it would not appeal to the demographics of GAF? what kind of embryonic shit is this? what the fuck is going on in this thread now? I'm seeing people getting banned, 20 laughing emoticons, and refusal to consider basic shit like, "portions of GT5 may have been influenced by competitors..."?

Why the fuck does it hurt anyone's feelings that GT5 may have said, "hey this is a good idea..." and incorporated it and made it their own? Why wouldn't we WANT them to take the best ideas out there and create a better package?

come the fuck on, GAF. you can all do better. None of your work for Polyphony or Turn10. Act like you can still be moderately objective.

some of you guys just suck.

Top Bottom