• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

StuBurns

Banned
les papillons sexuels said:
forza since it's inception has been above what's been produced by PD, only now, with GT5 has PD produced a title that once again goes above what forza has provided.

So yes, GT does directly compete with forza, and without forza, PD wouldn't be pushed to go above and beyond.
What makes people think this? They aren't even literally in competition, they're not on the same platforms, they're not in the same release windows. They don't compete at all.

les papillons sexuels said:
forza since it's inception has been above what's been produced by PD, only now, with GT5 has PD produced a title that once again goes above what forza has provided.

So yes, GT does directly compete with forza, and without forza, PD wouldn't be pushed to go above and beyond.

Keep in mind, most of the additions have been announced, but not shown, since 2007 when Kaz gave his presentation.

user_nat said:
Kaz has the one in physics.

Ok, thanks.

Iknos

Amir0x said:
I have no doubt that many of the things GT5 is doing will be included in FM4. I do however have very much doubt that Forza 4 will provide the complete package that GT5 does.

Adding something like Kart racing doesn't take a lot of time.

It's not really a comparison anymore. You may indeed do your little comparison and I'll amuse myself by reading it, but it's a lost fucking battle. GT5 slaughters it in its sleep

It won't be written for people like yourself. Just saying you should leave this thread open for it. Unless I should make a new thread for that when the time comes.

brotkasten said:
Are the concepts at the bottom from Forza 3? You know, the pictures with the rain and headlights and wet tracks.

Yes but I was referring to the massive info leak from the disgruntled T10 employee not too long after E3 09.

Talked about weather being cut. About how cockpit driver animations were cut...which was patched in a month after release. Had an accurate list of cars and also talked about the driver assists that will make it more casual and affect the simulation.

Anyone able to find it? T10 downplayed that leak but everything about it was true.

Metalmurphy said:
The fact that one person has a Major in physics and the other one in religion also says alot.

Keep in mind Greenawalt is a mechanic and so that is definitely reflected in Forza...upgrading and tuning cars is a large aspect of Forza. Education is one thing but what they did after is another.

"Major in Physics" doesn't tell you how much passion Kaz has for cars...so I don't think it says as much as you think it does.

makingmusic476 said:
The fact that one of the two is constantly in the driver's seat also says a lot.

If I had millions of dollars I'd be doing that too. Didn't Kaz only start after he started working on GT2?

I agree with the overall point as a producer his experience will lend itself into the game but you have to ask yourselves...did Papyrus or Warthog have producers with track experience? Probably not...and yet those games are well beyond the Gran Turismo series.

X26

Banned
:lol :lol :lol

again, these posts trying to give t10 any sort of credit in regards to gt5's quality are beyond ridiculous

Iknos said:
Keep in mind Greenawalt is a mechanic and so that is definitely reflected in Forza...upgrading and tuning cars is a large aspect of Forza. Education is one thing but what they did after is another.

"Major in Physics" doesn't tell you how much passion Kaz has for cars...so I don't think it says as much as you think it does.
It tells me I'd choose one to change my car's oil and another one to actually build me one.

Iknos

Metalmurphy said:
It tells me I'd choose one to change my car's oil and another one to actually build me one.

Considering Greenwalt has rebuilt cars are you saying Kaz should change your car's oil?

Amir0x

Banned
Iknos said:
Adding something like Kart racing doesn't take a lot of time.

Do you think it's that simple? I wish I were you. Anyway, this comment reveals a lot about the potential nature of your so-called "comparison." Gran Turismo 5 adds pretty much five trillion features to the list of things Forza does not do, on top of all the technical superiority and vehicular physics superiority, so I mean focusing on one mode which is in of itself pretty amazing that it was included just says you've got a bone to pick.

Iknos said:
It won't be written for people like yourself. Just saying you should leave this thread open for it. Unless I should make a new thread for that when the time comes.

I have no intention of closing this thread. I just think the thread has no purpose. Gran Turismo 5 won. Case closed. I mean, I know there are like a few basic features that GT5 doesn't have that Forza 3 does, but that's like compared to like four dozen features GT5 has that Forza 3 doesn't (and no other racing game has in a single package).

Iknos said:

If I had millions of dollars I'd be doing that too. Didn't Kaz only start after he started working on GT2?

I agree with the overall point as a producer his experience will lend itself into the game but you have to ask yourselves...did Papyrus or Warthog have producers with track experience? Probably not...and yet those games are well beyond the Gran Turismo series.

Of course that doesn't tell you how much passion he has, but his love for cars at a young age does.

I haven't caught up with the thread, but it doesn't surprise me that when the "competition" can't find fault with the facts, they resort to subject impression, like saying the physics are horrible.

That's pretty sad. I feel like some trolling tools are fighting a lost battle.

Iknos

Amir0x said:
Do you think it's that simple? I wish I were you.

They've already added 40+ cars to the game after launch.

Anyway, this comment reveals a lot about the potential nature of your so-called "comparison." Gran Turismo 5 adds pretty much five trillion features to the list of things Forza does not do, on top of all the technical superiority and vehicular physics superiority, so I mean focusing on one mode which is in of itself pretty amazing that it was included just says you've got a bone to pick.

It was just one example and secondly we don't know if the physics are better yet. The Time Trial was pretty close to Forza's physics but we can't fully tell until we have GT5 in our hands.

There are some modes that will be hard for T10 to emulate...like the video editor and replay editor. But something like Track Days is just a multiplayer mode with relaxed rules. Same with qualifying lap.

You are overstating the differences between both games is what I'm getting at.

Adding new cars or modes isn't the hard part. Like I said earlier the hard parts is trying to get a field of 16 or doing real time day/night cycles...stuff that hardware is going to limit.

But adding Nascar/WRC/Kart racing isn't like making a whole new game.

I have no intention of closing this thread. I just think the thread has no purpose. Gran Turismo 5 won. Case closed. I mean, I know there are like a few basic features that GT5 doesn't have that Forza 3 does, but that's like compared to like four dozen features GT5 has that Forza 3 doesn't (and no other racing game has in a single package).

Yeah...this is just hyperbole. Can you list these 48 features?

Metalmurphy said:
Yeah... sure.

Kaz would probably get his own personal pit crew to do it instead.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Iknos said:

There are some modes that will be hard for T10 to emulate...like the video editor and replay editor. But something like Track Days is just a multiplayer mode with relaxed rules. Same with qualifying lap.

You are overstating the differences between both games is what I'm getting at.

Adding new cars or modes isn't the hard part. Like I said earlier the hard parts is trying to get a field of 16 or doing real time day/night cycles...stuff that hardware is going to limit.

:lol :lol

Iknos

evolution said:
Keep up the fight iknos, out of all the things he brings up kart racing :lol

You can substitute Kart with Nascar and WRC. It ends up being different cars.

No new physics...no new graphics engine.

scandisk_ said:
prove it :lol

We already covered this in this very thread read it up. Compares very well...very very well. Some aspects I liked the TT better. Just read it.

Iknos if that easy to add cars why does Forza not have any cars at GT level .
GT also have twice the amount of cars on the track plus weather .

If that easy why don't Forza have half the stuff that GT has and they had 2 games to do it .

Where's the weather , day\night cycle , 16 cars , making random tacks , b spec mode, control your own AI team from the web , 8MP photo mode also 3D pics , 3D game play, Karts , NASCAR plus other stuff.

Hell Kaz when out of his to add GT TV for fans to see racing, he also add top gear tack which huge for car racing fans .

Piggus

Iknos said:

Who cares? Anyone who knows anything about the guy knows he has a HUGE passion for cars. Car culture is his life.

Iknos said:

Yeah... this is just you being pedantic. Can you give a reason why he needs to? :p

Iknos said:

I'm not going to get into the comparison battle. But you're being extremely misleading here. In the case of NASCAR they didn't just model some cars and say "Hey, that's NASCAR". They've implemented NASCAR rules, which is why (as of gamescom) you can't race those cars against other cars.

crap1

Banned
FM_1_1.jpg

FM_2_1.jpg

FM_3_1.jpg

Shows what the 360 is really capable of. *shrugs*

evolution

Iknos said:
You can substitute Kart with Nascar and WRC. It ends up being different cars.

No new physics...no new graphics engine.
It doesn't matter really. I thought it was funny how out af all the features GT5 has that forza doesn't you bring up kart racing. If WRC and nascar are not in the next forza im really going wonder why not, because according to you creating the cars and proper tracks to drive them is super easy.

adelante

Oh cmon, I find this thread hilarious, especially when people are dismissing (or implying) that Forza 3 is suddenly irrelevant with GT5's impending release but I don't believe for a second those shots are rendered in realtime on the 360 hardware. I mean really...side mirror being reflected onto the car's body?!?

Iknos said:

-16 cars
-karting
-wrc
-nascar
-weather
-dynamic weather
-night racing
-day/night cycles
-dynamic tracks
-low beams and high beams
-32 user lobbies
-16 player online races
-online track days
-stig challenges
-amg driving school
-jeff gordon nascar school
-sebastian loeb rally challenge
-insanely detailed cockpits
-licenses
-pit crews
-b-spec
-gt anywhere
-photo travel
-connectivity with the gtpsp
-functional lights on cockpit
-better graphics
-more cars
-18MB photos
-exporting photos to HDD
-youtube uploads
-head tracking
-car wash with animated "washers" and soap shaders lol
-detailed drivers
-drivers with proper animations (looking at corners, shifting, gforces, etc)
-non prebaked deformation damage
-sparks
-grass/flowers/etc that move with air flow
-wind sound that changes with speed and slipstreaming
-snow
-dynamic snow
-manually activated windshield wipers
-track editor
-randomly generated rally tracks
-fully rendered team garages
-team uniforms for pilots and crew
-full HD live action intro videos for the real circuits
-remote races
-My home page
-fully fledged Spectator mode
-GTTV

adelante said:
Oh cmon, I find this thread hilarious, especially when people are dismissing (or implying) that Forza 3 is suddenly irrelevant with GT5's impending release but I don't believe for a second those shots are rendered in realtime on the 360 hardware. I mean really...side mirror being reflected onto the car's body?!?
They aren't real. =P The demo looked very different. Though it did contain pre-rendered custscenes that looked like that. I'm not exactly sure if they modeled all that or not... I'm assuming not. It looks like AutoCAD data.

Atomski

Does anyone actually care about Nascar and Kart racing? Gotta be the worst 2 modes in a racing game. WRC on the other hand at least can be a bit fun.

Anyways can't wait for this game to be released so we can finally see how over hyped it was.

crap1 said:
[]http://forzamotorsport.net/uploadedImages/Media/Images/Forza_Motorsport_E3_2010/FM_1_1.jpg[/img]
[]http://forzamotorsport.net/uploadedImages/Media/Images/Forza_Motorsport_E3_2010/FM_2_1.jpg[/img]
[]http://forzamotorsport.net/uploadedImages/Media/Images/Forza_Motorsport_E3_2010/FM_3_1.jpg[/IMG]

vr96rm.png

adelante

Metalmurphy said:
I love how have "better graphics" listed as a separate feature from everything else that's a subset of it. As if this thread needs more proof of people grasping at straws :lol

Metalmurphy said:
-16 cars
-karting
-wrc
-nascar
-weather
-dynamic weather
-night racing
-day/night cycles
-dynamic tracks
-low beams and high beams
-32 user lobbies
-16 player online races
-online track days
-stig challenges
-amg driving school
-jeff gordon nascar school
-sebastian loeb rally challenge
-insanely detailed cockpits
-licenses
-pit crews
-b-spec
-gt anywhere
-photo travel
-connectivity with the gtpsp
-functional lights on cockpit
-better graphics
-more cars
-18MB photos
-exporting photos to HDD
-youtube uploads
-head tracking
-car wash with animated "washers" and soap shaders lol
-detailed drivers
-drivers with proper animations (looking at corners, shifting, gforces, etc)
-non prebaked deformation damage
-sparks
-grass/flowers/etc that move with air flow
-wind sound that changes with speed and slipstreaming
-snow
-dynamic snow
-manually activated windshield wipers
-track editor
-randomly generated rally tracks
-fully rendered team garages
-team uniforms for pilots and crew
-full HD live action intro videos for the real circuits
-remote races
-My home page

:lol :lol

crap1

Banned
http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/Future_of_Forza/

“Forza Motorsport Preview” is a select peek at one aspect of the future of the Forza Motorsport franchise, both in terms of the way Kinect has empowered Turn 10 to create a revolutionary way to interact with virtual cars, as well as the breathtaking foundation of a new graphics engine capable of producing the images seen in our E3 gallery. The next full Forza Motorsport experience, which utilizes some of the ideas presented in this demo, will ship in 2011

Iknos

SolidSnakex said:
I'm not going to get into the comparison battle. But you're being extremely misleading here. In the case of NASCAR they didn't just model some cars and say "Hey, that's NASCAR". They've implemented NASCAR rules, which is why (as of gamescom) you can't race those cars against other cars.

Of course...never said that it is all you need.

Already clarified a couple of posts ago...no new physics or graphics engine.

crap1 said:

But there is no way they can have that in real time with 15 other cars let alone 7 other cars.

Plus I think those shots are bullshots the E3 vids didn't look as good.

adelante said:
I love how have "better graphics" listed as a separate feature from everything else that's a subset of it. As if this thread needs more proof of people grasping at straws :lol

Give me a break, he did ask for 48, I even gave him 50. It's not like I listed "better shaders" "better textures" "better lighting" etc. Infact I don't think I listed any "subset" of better graphics at all.

crap1 said:

And you're gonna believe that? :lol

Well, if it's a Xbox 720 title then I'll believe it.

crap1 said:
FM_1_1.jpg

FM_2_1.jpg

FM_3_1.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

No way you can be serious. After putting people like Iknos on my ignore list, definitely don't want to read his comments when the official thread is up, you come along and make me laugh until I cry.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Atomski said:
Does anyone actually care about Nascar and Kart racing? Gotta be the worst 2 modes in a racing game. WRC on the other hand at least can be a bit fun.

Anyways can't wait for this game to be released so we can finally see how over hyped it was.
=S... erm... I've played Nascar games since 94 on DOS....

Also, kart racing IRL is just pure fun.

adelante said:

Grasping at straws is discrediting the 40 other "features" listed. Sure some of them shouldn't be counted, but that's why I said "40" and not "47."

Flavius said:
It'll be capable in the same way Forza 3 is "capable" of producing some nifty looking shots in photo-mode.

Errmm... no... that HAS to be CAD data... not to mention that ray tracing with high amounts of AA takes several hours on a 720p on my computer with an i7 and an hd 5870. There is no way that the 360 can render a ray traced image with MILLIONS of polygons.

adelante

phosphor112 said:
Grasping at straws is discrediting the 40 other "features" listed. Sure some of them shouldn't be counted, but that's why I said "40" and not "47."
Um, ok? Like I said, as if this thread needs more proof of people grasping at straws, which is to say there've been tons of posts in here that already reflect that. Oh GAF...

TylerD

Atomski said:

Yeah, karting is not important at all in racing seeing how it is usually the first form of racing that guys like this start out doing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_PJqM-sRc

I don't know, seems pretty fitting to me.

NASCAR is huge in America too and it happens to be much much more than driving around in circles and turning left.

Top Bottom