• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

crap1 said:
FM_1_1.jpg

FM_2_1.jpg

FM_3_1.jpg

Shows what the 360 is really capable of. *shrugs*
Che..."Here at Turn 10 we dont do bullshot".....:lol

LiquidMetal14 said:
This thread reeks of desperation now. It's getting sad now.

- Forza forced the GT5 delay
- Forza forced Kaz to put more features into GT5
- GT "cheats" by having a long dev time and not being rushed
- Delays and E3 advertising are shady and trick poor gamers into not buying Forza (Did not work for me for some reason)
- Kart, Rally and Nascar are basically "free" and don't require much effort compared to premium features like livery editor or auction house.

Anything I missed?

J-Rzez

Amir0x said:
heh. That's actually the only real feature besides the auction house I wish would be adopted properly into Gran Turismo 5 from Forza.

Oh yeah, the auction house is a great idea that should have been adopted. It is cool that you can "Gift" cars to others of course, but it's not the same. I think they should have a "real" auction though were you bid online, live, at certain times for say "special" cars created by like PD, T10, sponsored cars, etc. That would be fun, and have them at various times so not everyone missed out.

The Livery thing, I'm not sure about. I always wondered if that was made suspect of what overall caused FM's cars to look "off" or "cartoonish". I mean, lighting isn't close to matched to whatever PD does, but also the color of the paints in the game just looked once again, cartoonish. They lacked a realistic hue most of the time.

It'll be a sad day when Kaz is done with this career. He'll probably stick around for a while though considering he said he gets to do what he loves and get paid for it. Not to mention actually gaining some swagger in the real life automotive world, designing cars and UI, and also getting to race some of the greatest tracks out there in the name of "research". Talk about your dream jobs.

PD is the one of the few JP devs to pull their weight this gen though. It took them a while, but it's paying off in the end. In fact, they'll be the first JP dev to actually set a "benchmark" technically this gen it seems as far as tech goes. It's odd after seeing so many people down on that side of the worlds efforts for years compared to western devs, and then one dev comes out and shuts people up.

markao

theignoramus said:
Che..."Here at Turn 10 we dont do bullshot".....:lol
To be fair to Che, both games are so $##@#@ awesome, neither of the two companies can release ingame game play screenshots/videos because our monitors would explode,

I assume that's the logical reason we don't see any of them ;)

schennmu said:
I can't fucking wait for the unbiased™ Iknos comparison. It will be glorious.
Me to :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yoboman said:
It's not nonsense, I'm not saying it's all bad and some people would like it, but for me lining up against joke cars every race gets old. It just doesn't fit with GT imo

If there was a way to keep it limited to team logos and real looking liveries then sure, but I don't see how that would work

GT5 Main Menu->Options->"Show Liveries?: ->NO, Yes, Only on-disc ones/not custom"->SAVE!

Pick the first or last option. Race with people that don't know you can't see their creations. Stop QQing while the series gets better and better and adds features that a majority of people want and you don't because it "looks tacky."

Or whenever they implement it to GT. 6?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Wow, things have really perked up here.

Does GT5 look better? Yes. More features, cars, etc.? Yes. It is shaping up to be a truly phenomenal game.

Both MS and Sony have one goal: sell games to men between the ages of 15 and 35. That's it. It's a cut throat world that is changing dramatically. Both have a lot at stake and a lot to lose. Sony is up the creek right now. Their entire games division went up in flames this generation. Microsoft is hanging on by a thread. Shit gets personal from time to time.

So these guys are going to say whatever they need to say to get attention. They have to stand out. Dan Greendwald HAS to say stuff that gets people to buy his game. Millions of dollars and jobs are on the line. If he's not out pitching his shit then he's not doing his job. Microsoft's arrogance is now being attacked... but just a while ago Sony said "next gen doesn't start until we say so." That of course was the beginning of the end. But Sony talked their message of superiority only in attempt to sell shit. Buy our shit because it's better than other shit. That's what it's all about.

Only among the hardcore is time and energy devoted to analyzing the words beind the games. Joe Gamer reads Gamepro and sees Forza 3 get 85% or whatever and buys the game. He sees the trailer and says "that looks cool." Or he skims Joystiq and sees Dan screaming about Forza 3. The game is forgotten about by about 3 months by the majority. They're on to Halo or Killzone.

I think that the livery editor was partly responsible for attracting a different kind of people to F2 and F3. I hated it. I didn't hate the fact that non-racers could possibly be made enthusiastic about the genre. I hated that it wasn't all about the cars anymore.

Ashes

Banned
I can't even follow what we're supposed to be talking about anymore. :lol
Forza 3 is on x360.
GT5 is on ps3.

Is there anything else, that is not being debated by either side?

Firewire

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
I think that the livery editor was partly responsible for attracting a different kind of people to F2 and F3. I hated it. I didn't hate the fact that non-racers could possibly be made enthusiastic about the genre. I hated that it wasn't all about the cars anymore.

It was kind of sad seeing the official F3 thread turn from racing to nothing but screen shots. It makes me happy to know GT5 won't have a livery now.

RavenFox

Banned
Xun said:
This thread has made me realise the large majority of Gaming on GAF is full of Sony fanboys.

Why can't everyone just get along?

I used to care back when I was younger, always saying how crappy the N64 was compared to the PlayStation, but it's honestly pointless. After time my young fanboyism completely faded, eventually to the extent of not having any preference to any system.

Both games are good and excel more than the other in certain areas. The end.
No. Only one game excels more than the other and that's GT5. Also no one is forcing you to turn on your PC and post here.
szaromir said:
You see where this is going? Of course all developers would say that their next game would be better than the last one, so one should read 'The definitive racing game of the entire generation' as 'The definitive racing game of the entire generation up to this point of time'. I don't even understand why are we discussing PR slogans, it's not like GT4 was "the real driving simulation" or "the drive of my life".
Your damage control is noted.

spwolf

RSTEIN said:
Wow, things have really perked up here.

Does GT5 look better? Yes. More features, cars, etc.? Yes. It is shaping up to be a truly phenomenal game.

Both MS and Sony have one goal: sell games to men between the ages of 15 and 35. That's it. It's a cut throat world that is changing dramatically. Both have a lot at stake and a lot to lose. Sony is up the creek right now. Their entire games division went up in flames this generation. Microsoft is hanging on by a thread. Shit gets personal from time to time.

So these guys are going to say whatever they need to say to get attention. They have to stand out. Dan Greendwald HAS to say stuff that gets people to buy his game. Millions of dollars and jobs are on the line. If he's not out pitching his shit then he's not doing his job. Microsoft's arrogance is now being attacked... but just a while ago Sony said "next gen doesn't start until we say so." That of course was the beginning of the end. But Sony talked their message of superiority only in attempt to sell shit. Buy our shit because it's better than other shit. That's what it's all about.

Only among the hardcore is time and energy devoted to analyzing the words beind the games. Joe Gamer reads Gamepro and sees Forza 3 get 85% or whatever and buys the game. He sees the trailer and says "that looks cool." Or he skims Joystiq and sees Dan screaming about Forza 3. The game is forgotten about by about 3 months by the majority. They're on to Halo or Killzone.

there is good and bad advertising... slapping the emperor was bad advertising. F3 didnt sell anywhere close to GT5P.

spwolf

Firewire said:
It was kind of sad seeing the official F3 thread turn from racing to nothing but screen shots. It makes me happy to know GT5 won't have a livery now.

i would have liked livery in GT, why not? You can have fun in various ways.

spwolf said:
there is good and bad advertising... slapping the emperor was bad advertising. F3 didnt sell anywhere close to GT5P.
to be fair, what were GT5p's sales at 11 months versus FM3s sales to date? thats the only honest way to compare the two.

Xun

RavenFox said:
No. Only one game excels more than the other and that's GT5. Also no one is forcing you to turn on your PC and post here.
You're exactly the person I was referring to.

One trip to your profile and you can tell where you pledge your allegiance to.

RavenFox

Banned
Xun said:
You're exactly the person I was referring to.

One trip to your profile and you can tell where you pledge your allegiance to.
And? I'm not here to butter my feelings on things you want to hear. GT5 is beyond FM3 in every way.
I have to laugh also at the visit to profile bit. You have nothing to say so you put all your hopes on a profile click lol

Plippy

Neo Member
keyrat said:
They both look pretty good; inside FOV looks better in GT5 imo.

White balance is off on the camera recording GT5; it's too cool.

Does it look like the Field Of View was changed in the FM3 screen? I left mine as default and don't recall seeing so much arm on most cars…

Interesting to see how much more the cars react to the road in GT5. It looks more realistic in cockpit but the chasecam looks kinda goofy if you ask me… like a toy car bouncing along.

Maybe it's more of how the track was modeled than it is a matter of physics. The DLC Nurburgring GP track for FM3, for instance, had a lot of unevenness.

LCfiner

Was the forza 3 interior FoV set to something non-standard? it looked messed up and really far back.

anyway, no surprise that GT5 had much higher contrast lighting that looks more realistic off screen.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PjotrStroganov said:

*PicardWTFisthisBS.jpg*

Yes, because everyone racing the same stale stock/painted Lamborghini makes GT "all about the cars."

Give me a break.

You and Yobo may not like the artistic license given to the end users to customize their cars but it is a demanded feature and a cornerstone between Forza's tweak-ability and GT's "Pretty to look at, not to customize" stale formula after five games.

Kaz is looking to implement it because people want it. You don't like it? Ask Kaz to put in an option to turn off the customization and give you the stale stock-painted textures you're looking for and quit whining.

Firewire said:

Or maybe it's because they're tired of races and wanting to talk about what paint-job they did?

Playing a racing game and customizing the cars paint job and performance and not giving a shit about the races can be possible, duders. Shock and Horror, but not everyone is you guys and gives a shit about doing sixty laps on Suzuka everyday.

(And like I said in this thread before, I buy these games to play around with the physics and cars, I can't give a shit about the races)

charsace

I never understood this comparison. GT5 has been in development for a long time and has had tons of money pumped into it. While Forza had like 3 years of development?

McLovin

Wow the comments on that youtube video... Looks like someone was comparing GT series to the Halo series.. see guys it could be worse.

Ashes1396 said:
Gran Turismo 5 vs Forza Motorsport 3 - Circuit de la Sarthe HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo4mJCJ0Q3k&feature=player_embedded
without knowing which was which, I like the one on the left a bit more.

I think the greens (grass, trees) are a bit too intense, but I prefer its hue of light (appears to be a more natural shade if white light) and car views. I liked the reflections better as well. car had a very waxed and wet look. maybe too reflective? idk. I like it.

the game on the right seemed like the sun was a 3000K light bulb instead of 6500K sunlight. also, things appeared to be a bit too muted for my tastes. Greens were a bit too dark and grass trended to brown. it's in-car view provided too little of the road for me to ever want to use it, and the chase cam should have had a closer option.

if those seem like nit-picks, they probably are. there is very little separating the 2 on that video. then again, it's a low-res YouTube video.

Question: have the improved the engine sounds in this iteration of GT? I vaguely remember playing the demo of Forza 3 and loving the engine roar in my surround sound system...and being underwhelmed when I switched back to the GT demo that was on my PS3. lacked a little oomph at the time, but that was awhile ago.

Ashes

Banned
charsace said:
I never understood this comparison. GT5 has been in development for a long time and has had tons of money pumped into it. While Forza had like 3 years of development?

What you mean how forza 3 developers compared their game to Gt5: prologue?
Yeah, it's pretty damn silly.
edit@Dreams: Gt5 is clearly the one on the left.

TheSeks said:
*PicardWTFisthisBS.jpg*

Yes, because everyone racing the same stale stock/painted Lamborghini makes GT "all about the cars."

Give me a break.

You and Yobo may not like the artistic license given to the end users to customize their cars but it is a demanded feature and a cornerstone between Forza's tweak-ability and GT's "Pretty to look at, not to customize" stale formula after five games.

Kaz is looking to implement it because people want it. You don't like it? Ask Kaz to put in an option to turn off the customization and give you the stale stock-painted textures you're looking for and quit whining.

Or maybe it's because they're tired of races and wanting to talk about what paint-job they did?

Playing a racing game and customizing the cars paint job and performance and not giving a shit about the races can be possible, duders. Shock and Horror, but not everyone is you guys and gives a shit about doing sixty laps on Suzuka everyday.

(And like I said in this thread before, I buy these games to play around with the physics and cars, I can't give a shit about the races)

Wow, struck a nerve I guess:p

Dreams-Visions said:
Question: have the improved the engine sounds in this iteration of GT? I vaguely remember playing the demo of Forza 3 and loving the engine roar in my surround sound system...and being underwhelmed when I switched back to the GT demo that was on my PS3. lacked a little oomph at the time, but that was awhile ago.

Kaz mentioned at TGS that the game will have reworked engine sounds when it ships.

eso76

Ashes1396 said:
Gran Turismo 5 vs Forza Motorsport 3 - Circuit de la Sarthe HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo4mJCJ0Q3k&feature=player_embedded

very good comparison video, the driver even goes as far as switching views at the same time (almost) and even makes the exact same mistake in one of the later corners :)

Regardless of the technical quality of lighting in GT5 and better models (which we can't really appreciate from the video) PD's game looks a lot better because of a much more pleasant and attractive choice of colours already.

Fm3 sometimes looks much worse than it could for a terrible choice of colours, which succeed in the difficult task of appearing both ugly and unrealistic; the shades of green and yellow used in le mans and amalfi coast and several other circuits are awful.
T10 definitely need an art director, and they need to take more pictures to use as textures.

Also, yes, they changed Fov in forza with the old multiscreen trick for that video and for some reason GT5 half of the screen looks smoother, but we know both games are 60fps.

AndyD

aka andydumi
308wcud.jpg

les papillons sexuels said:
The model is clipping with the wall, but the actual position of the R8 is correct and would account for the collision. Visual glitch, but it's still the right way to go about it.

I think the point is the texture swap across the whole car rather than location impact/damage, not so much the distance between them. At least that's what I noticed first.

And the thread has gone crazy, mainly due to the same 1-2 posters. Thankfully the ignore list works well.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sirolf said:
Huh ho...
It's like when there's an orgy-party going on and the parents come home early

:lol :lol
Hey Bish. I can never look at your avatar and not immediately be on guard. I went to a friend's house who has a poster of him on the wall, and i was freaked out the whole time... :lol

Firewire said:

I hope you are just saying this in jest, because that's what GT5 "hype" thread is all about. I am sure by the time GT5 is out we will have so many pics and gif in every gaming thread that bring up graphics just like last year Killzone.

I just can't understand why people can't just enjoy both system for its own merits and faults. F3 is great because of its livery and auction house system and GT5 will have awesome photo mode. They are both great and cater to the niche creative outlet for people who enjoying cars. Not everyone who like cars just like them for racing (though that is the big part, but some people enjoy cars because well they like the designs and "artistic" aspect.

Firewire

Banned
TheSeks said:
*PicardWTFisthisBS.jpg*

Give me a break.

Excuse me, personally I don't give a flying fuck about liveries at all. You want it I don't care, have it. But these games are driving/racing simulators, guess what that means you race in them! The official thread should be about the cars and racing them.

In fact Forza 3 had an official livery thread and guess what, the last post in it was in Feb.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377835&page=30

People just started posting their creations in the OT of Forza 3 because I guess they thought they would get more attention. It ruined the thread, because any talk of of actual racing was drowned out by walls of pics from every person who figured out they could paint up their car.

I sincerely hope Iknos is getting paid to do this. Also, nobody here should pretend to be unbiased, because it´s impossible to be neutral, specially in a subject like videogames.

If you´re going to defend a product, go ahead and say it´s your favorite. Telling people you´re neutral and "own all three consoles" just not gonna make anyone believe you more.

There are facts and whatnots, but even graphics can be analised subjectively, so it´s pretty hard to compare.

On the physics novel, there´s a huge difference going from Prologue to spec II, spec III and the Time Trial. People who played at recent trade shows say it´s also a different physics model.

In the end of the day, Turn 10 deserves because of the amount of bullshit they said leading up to the release. It´s funny to see the desperation. I´m glad this thread exists so the game related ones can stay "clear".

Firewire

Banned
antiquegamer said:
I hope you are just saying this in jest, because that's what GT5 "hype" thread is all about. I am sure by the time GT5 is out we will have so many pics and gif in every gaming thread that bring up graphics just like last year Killzone.

I just can't understand why people can't just enjoy both system for its own merits and faults. F3 is great because of its livery and auction house system and GT5 will have awesome photo mode. They are both great and cater to the niche creative outlet for people who enjoying cars. Not everyone who like cars just like them for racing (though that is the big part, but some people enjoy cars because well they like the designs and "artistic" aspect.

I don't have a problem with Liveries at all. If you like it that's great! Those pics that you mentioned where pics released by Polyphony Digital, before the game is even released sure they should be shown exactly like pics from Forza 3 should be shown before its release.

Like I stated above, there was an official livery thread for Forza 3, but it turned out that the official game thread got ruined by those wanting to show their painting skills with walls and walls of pics.

Firewire said:
I don't have a problem with Liveries at all. If you like it that's great! Those pics that you mentioned where pics released by Polyphony Digital, before the game is even released sure they should be shown exactly like pics from Forza 3 should be shown before its release.

Like I stated above, there was an official livery thread for Forza 3, but it turned out that the official game thread got ruined by those wanting to show their painting skills with walls and walls of pics.

Um, the livery/photo thread kinda got merge with the official thread because most people just got to OT thread to read about Forza 3. I don't see why there would be a problem with seeing those pictures in official thread. I am still don't understand how that it is "ruined".

antiquegamer said:

Personally, it wasn't because of the photo's. I love photomode. Really really love it. I just don't care about game themed liveries. I like tasteful shots focusing on the beauty of the car/ the racing aspect/ the action, not a (though impressive) Halo Reach promo livery.

Top Bottom