• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

MGR

Iknos said:
I was only comparing physics not assists.

Assists are applied onto physics.

An assist which cannot be disabled is no longer an assist, but part of the overall physics of the game.

SolidSnakex said:
GT5's replays don't run at a higher resolution. The only part of the game that runs at a higher resolution is the menu screens, which are native 1080p. Once you're in game the resolution never changes.
I was talking about Prologue. I dont know about GT5 proper, but Digital Foundry says that Prologue's replays run at 1440x1080p or something similar, which is higher than the 60 fps/1280x1080 resolution.

Anyway look here everyone....a trip back in time
Neogaf:Masterbit Theater: GT4 vs. Forza Motorsport 1

theignoramus said:
I was talking about Prologue. I dont know about GT5 proper, but Digital Foundry says that Prologue's replays run at 1440x1080p or something similar, which is higher than the 60 fps/1280x1080 resolution.

I've never heard of that before. But I don't really see there being a big deal with replays running at 30fps. Replays are nothing but eye candy anyway so you might as well make them look as good as possible.

Gek54

Iknos said:
You do realize the aid only assists when you are messing up?

To have a 'sim' step in and drive for you because you are not driving the way it thinks you want to be driving is TOTAL BS.

watership

Reading that 2005 thread, it's sinking how long ago the last 'true' GT was. Forza seems to have a major release every 2 years, so I guess we can expect Forza 4 Fall 2011?

Voyevoda007 said:
Dude, do you work for turn 10 or something?.
Its hard to tell, really. He has the same sneering attitude of Dan Greenawalt and says implementing NASCAR, WRC and Karting is peanuts because all the cars and physics are already there, without even explaining why F3 doesn't incorporate them. Its downplaying competition, pure and simple. There are fully fledged, stand alone NASCAR and Rally games out there, yet PD is essentially giving them for free here. Those licenses alone must have cost fortune, but don't fret. Its easy stuff. I mean, all you need to do is write 3 lines of code to implement those crazy NASCAR rules. Dan G could write those with his eyes closed.

He's literally dancing in waters of blindness.

theignoramus said:
Anyway look here everyone....a trip back in time
Neogaf:Masterbit Theater: GT4 vs. Forza Motorsport 1
It's fantastic to see that some of the same GT fanboys still bitching about Forza were in that thread too :lol

The amazing thing is, they have never stepped down from their high horses and bothered even playing a Forza game since. Simply putting more flowers on their GT shrine at home waiting for the next Polyphony game and bitching on forums in the candlelight from their Yamauchi picture on their GT alters, when they could actually be playing other fantastic racing games like Forza.

Racing fans my ass :lol Anyways post endeless ZOMG kitties that stare at GT pics and vids and bitch forever that Forza 3 "looks like shit", I'm off to play that game now and I can't wait to play GT5 when it actually is in my console drive and not on youtube :lol

watership said:
Reading that 2005 thread, it's sinking how long ago the last 'true' GT was. Forza seems to have a major release every 2 years, so I guess we can expect Forza 4 Fall 2011?

It's taken so long because Kaz wanted to create a racing game that influences the genre in the same way that the original did.

Firewire said:
It was kind of sad seeing the official F3 thread turn from racing to nothing but screen shots. It makes me happy to know GT5 won't have a livery now.

that's kinda ironic considering that most places like car forums, tend to discuss the actual look and modifications of their cars (emphasis on their). If anything the forza thread seems to be right on the money in that regard, it's a discussion of people and their cars, their custom paint jobs, etc.

ResidentDante said:
It's fantastic to see that some of the same GT fanboys still bitching about Forza were in that thread too :lol

The amazing thing is, they have never stepped down from their high horses and bothered even playing a Forza game since. Simply putting more flowers on their GT shrine at home waiting for the next Polyphony game and bitching on forums in the candlelight from their Yamauchi picture on their GT alters, when they could actually be playing other fantastic racing games like Forza.

Racing fans my ass :lol Anyways post endeless ZOMG kitties that stare at GT pics and vids and bitch forever that Forza 3 "looks like shit", I'm off to play that game now and I can't wait to play GT5 when it actually is in my console drive and not on youtube :lol
Go back 154 pages and reread your posts before calling others fanboys.

SolidSnakex said:
It's taken so long because Kaz wanted to create a racing game that influences the genre in the same way that the original did.

There is no genre to influence anymore. All he is going to do is influence Turn 10. Meanwhile games like Burnout Paradise, NFS, and Test Drive Unlimited are pushing the driving barriers. There is only so much simulation of driving you can do before diminishing returns set it and while GT5 is incredibly cool it is still very much a circuit based racing game.

Insertia

Playing GT5:p now and I'm having a blast. The physics are amazing. I've never experienced the feel of a car like this game portrays. I'm taking a stab at the B-Event having to overtake 11 cars in my FF Integra. The feel of the car is so smooth and the difference from my 4WD GT-R 07 is stark.

After all the hoopla about the physics of Forza 3, I never actually got a feel for the cars. It was was never a thrill of driving.

p3tran

Banned
Gek54 said:
To have a 'sim' step in and drive for you because you are not driving the way it thinks you want to be driving is TOTAL BS.
how's brake lock steering on the latest builds of gt5 gek?

evolution

Warm Machine said:
There is no genre to influence anymore. All he is going to do is influence Turn 10. Meanwhile games like Burnout Paradise, NFS, and Test Drive Unlimited are pushing the driving barriers. There is only so much simulation of driving you can do before diminishing returns set it and while GT5 is incredibly cool it is still very much a circuit based racing game.
I think theres still along ways to go.

Ashes

Banned
RustyNails said:
Its hard to tell, really. He has the same sneering attitude of Dan Greenawalt and says implementing NASCAR, WRC and Karting is peanuts because all the cars and physics are already there, without even explaining why F3 doesn't incorporate them. Its downplaying competition, pure and simple. There are fully fledged, stand alone NASCAR and Rally games out there, yet PD is essentially giving them for free here. Those licenses alone must have cost fortune, but don't fret. Its easy stuff. I mean, all you need to do is write 3 lines of code to implement those crazy NASCAR rules. Dan G could write those with his eyes closed.

He's literally dancing in waters of blindness.

o.0

Ashes

Banned
Insertia said:
Playing GT5:p now and I'm having a blast. The physics are amazing. I've never experienced the feel of a car like this game portrays. I'm taking a stab at the B-Event having to overtake 11 cars in my FF Integra. The feel of the car is so smooth and the difference from my 4WD GT-R 07 is stark.

After all the hoopla about the physics of Forza 3, I never actually got a feel for the cars. It was was never a thrill of driving.

what? you are in for some awakening when gt5 hits. They redid the entire physics engine.

Warm Machine said:

The majority of racing games made these days are still circuit based. So just because GT is a sim doesn't mean it can't influence those other games even if they're arcade slanted. The original GT did a good job of showing that.

shinnn said:
GT5 looks the oposite in the demo builds

http://i56.tinypic.com/2i0q58o.gif[IMG]

ps: don't need to watch replays in super slow-mo to see this ;)[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Ze_Pershing]damn that's ugly lol[/QUOTE]

You two need to be best friends forever. Joined in the same timeframe, similar posts and similar status.

CrushDance said:
Go back 154 pages and reread your posts before calling others fanboys.
I'm either blind or I really need the search function back, cause I can't find myself on the first 10 pages in this thread. I know I have written in it before though, but mainly pointing out why the hell people aren't just playing both the game series like I have done since GT1 and Forza 1.

evolution

ResidentDante said:
I'm either blind or I really need the search function back, cause I can't find myself on the first 10 pages in this thread. I know I have written in it before though, but mainly pointing out why the hell people aren't just playing both the game series like I have done since GT and Forza 1.
I don't really think there the same at all. I can understand why someone might like Forza and not GT5 and vice-versa.

Loudninja

ResidentDante said:

You really think posting garbage like this will help anything?

ResidentDante said:
I'm either blind or I really need the search function back, cause I can't find myself on the first 10 pages in this thread. I know I have written in it before though, but mainly pointing out why the hell people aren't just playing both the game series like I have done since GT1 and Forza 1.

Because the games don't play alike. They have different physics engines along with numerous other different things that set them apart.

derFeef

SolidSnakex said:
Because the games don't play alike. They have different physics engines along with numerous other different things that set them apart.
So I have two games that don´t play alike and that is the reason I don´t play both? Makes totally sense.

derFeef said:
So I have two games that don´t play alike and that is the reason I don´t play both? Makes totally sense.

Did I say you couldn't play both? ResidentDante is acting like the games play the same and that if you don't like both then it means that you're a fanboy. Of course this completely ignores the fact that they don't play alike so it shouldn't be surprising that some people only like one or the other and then there are some people that enjoy both.

scandisk_ said:
from a different build

24q2yc1.gif
good. but i won't see much of them anyway.
damn, sometimes GT5 looks real(ish)

Gek54

p3tran said:
how's brake lock steering on the latest builds of gt5 gek?

GT5P's Jesus Tire physics? I would really like to know. Do any of the latest GT5 demos let you completely turn off ABS?

SSX, Amar, please stay out of this thread. I dont want some idiot trying an account suicide with the intention of taking either of you with him. please stay out of trouble now that its just over a month to go. :)

ResidentDante said:

He meant gems like these

ResidentDante said:
Do you enjoy the minimal smoke and marks from the tires, and not to mention the totally missing damage and the PS1-like crash physics too? :D

Well, I do.....cause it's hilarious :lol
ResidentDante said:
If you want to just have a racing game as a showpiece for your console, simply just invite friends over and show them the rotating car selection :lol
ResidentDante said:
Am I totally off when I say that if Polyphony simply released a version of GT where all the PS3 polygons and effects were used to render one single car, on a grey, empty road and the physics were set down to a Ridge Racer equivalent most of the people buying it would be really happy. So they simple could boast that the PS3 has the most advanced car rendering ability in the world and is "tha best!!!!!!!!!!!!!1"

I simply feel that there are a hell of a lot more randoms in the GT thread on Neogaf that simply don't know nothing about cars and racing and just want a tech-spec game to boast about. (There are of course die hard car enthusiasts there too, but you get my drift).
ResidentDante said:
Ahhh, the fond memories of Gran Turismo 1's crash physics.

Lets crash like it's 1998! :D
ResidentDante said:
:lol
Yeah, it's same technology as the spaceships in Wipeout use....airbrakes :lol
quote you edited said:
Sony released a demo of a racing game, which they didn't know when would be released or if it actually did anything new. the worst part is that some people actually buy into it
ResidentDante said:
Clearly the car knowledge is really high with GT fans, seem to remember somebody saying how fantastic the airbrakes on a Ferrari looked and moved :lol
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18028976&postcount=6007

Stink

Warm Machine said:

those games are just snacks between the main courses of GT, Forza, and the PC sims.

Metalmurphy said:
He meant gems like these
Ahh, there they are! I can always rely on Metalmurphy to dig my past up :D

Well the first quote is no longer valid I guess, not that either GT5 og FM3 really are the best racers in the smoke and tire mark world.

The other quotes were refering to randoms who don't give a shit about nothing but graphics in a racing game and troll thereafter.

Edit: You dug up even more! God I love you sweetheart!

Double edit:

Originally Posted by ResidentDante:

Yeah, it's same technology as the spaceships in Wipeout use....airbrakes
This was something you would have said if you heard the orginal poster, he thought the spoilers retracting from a Ferrari were airbrakes! This was sarcasm towards the poster, not the game. The game which was GT psp by the way, which I own.

ResidentDante said:
Ahh, there they are! I can always rely on Metalmurphy to dig my past up :D

Well the first quote is no longer valid I guess, not that either GT5 og FM3 really are the best racers in the smoke and tire mark world.

The other quotes were refering to randoms who don't give a shit about nothing but graphics in a racing game and troll thereafter.

Edit: You dug up even more! God I love you sweetheart!
Hey... they just keep on appearing.

The fact that you claim to be a "racing fan" and enjoy all games equally, yet in this thread your only seen trolling GT and defending Forza, is quite hilarious as well.

Have you learned what an air brake is yet?

SmokyDave

This thread is just ugly. Any genuine car lover ought to be frothing with anticipation for GT5 and should have already put enough hours into Forza 3 to know it's a damned good game.

All this nit-picking and niggling must impact your enjoyment of (racing) gaming, surely? If you're going to knock these two games then presumably you'd be utterly unable to enjoy 99.99% of all racing games? These are the cream of the crop for consoles, like it or not.

Does this sort of childish rivalry exist in the PC Sim space? Somehow I can't see it.

Kabouter

SmokyDave said:
This thread is just ugly. Any genuine car lover ought to be frothing with anticipation for GT5 and should have already put enough hours into Forza 3 to know it's a damned good game.
Thank you.

Does this sort of childish rivalry exist in the PC Sim space? Somehow I can't see it.
As far as I know, it does not.

Xun

SmokyDave said:

All this nit-picking and niggling must impact your enjoyment of (racing) gaming, surely? If you're going to knock these two games then presumably you'd be utterly unable to enjoy 99.99% of all racing games? These are the cream of the crop for consoles, like it or not.

Post of the thread right here.

Metalmurphy said:
Hey... they just keep on appearing.

The fact that you claim to be a "racing fan" and enjoy all games equally, yet in this thread your only seen trolling GT and defending Forza, is quite hilarious as well.
I've seen you in Forza threads dude, calm down. The things I've defended have been quotes of people who clearly never have touched the Forza games. I've played both the series all the way from the first installments and love them. You must see that the amount of shit thrown towards the Forza series is fanboy hate and not serious testing done by the people saying it?

Metalmurphy said:
Have you learned what an air brake is yet?
You didn't read the post that that was refering to did you? Do back, and read again :) I'm not the one not knowing that retractable spoilers on cars isn't airbrakes ;)

ResidentDante said:
This was something you would have said if you heard the orginal poster, he thought the spoilers retracting from a Ferrari were airbrakes! This was sarcasm towards the poster, not the game. The game which was GT psp by the way, which I own.
They are air brakes. Meant to reduce airflow therefore reduce speed. And it's not just Ferraris

Top Bottom