• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Keikoku said:
Why don't we wait the release to state that ? Same for everything else. A game is not just a bunch of features.

So you think they're going to take out the course maker 1 month from release?

Ploid 3.0

AndyD said:
Then why say this:

Because he has a split personality. He's still discussing GT5 tracks vs Forza tracks in his head. They are fighting over the keyboard to post.

Keikoku said:
Because I was answering to a guy assuming that GT5 had more environnements/tracks than GT5 ? It's not the case, at best it's a tie.
We need a source though.

I rest my case.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Keikoku said:
Because I was answering to a guy assuming that GT5 had more environnements/tracks than GT5 ? It's not the case, at best it's a tie.
We need a source though.

I beg to different. I bet the amount is exactly the same. ;)

BeeDog

Keikoku said:
We need a source though.

... Why yes, that would indeed be a tie, at best.

EDIT: beaten like Rihanna.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Keikoku said:
I never said that. But it all depends on the tools and how they'll be used ingame.

I'm sure GT5 will be able to generate a lot more tracks than Forza 3 will. T10 was pretty shady in that regard breaking down a bunch of tracks into tiny sections to up the track count. Not that PD is immune to shady tactics after boosting the car count in GTPSP/GT5 by cloning cars and renaming them.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Keikoku said:
We need a source though.

Well more environments for GT have been confirmed so far. And likely more tracks too.

The Forza "over 100" number includes reverse versions of all tracks, so its really only half of what is shown. Or double the confirmed layouts for GT then if you want to make a relatively fair pre release comparison and correct others.

The most important here will be the track generator, as if its sturdy enough, it will make counting irrelevant.

ShapeGSX

AndyD said:
Well more environments for GT have been confirmed so far. And likely more tracks too.

The Forza "over 100" number includes reverse versions of all tracks

No. Not all Forza 3 tracks have a reverse version. Almost none of the real world tracks have a reverse ribbon.

Keikoku

Banned
AndyD said:

The Forza "over 100" number includes reverse versions of all tracks, so its really only half of what is shown. Or double the confirmed layouts for GT then if you want to make a relatively fair pre release comparison and correct others.

The most important here will be the track generator, as if its sturdy enough, it will make counting irrelevant.

My memory is really terrible, I played Forza 3 until season 5 and still can't remember if it has reverse tracks or not :lol Definitely remember them on some of the fantasy tracks though.
Anyway, even if you divide the number by two, it's still something like 60/70 tracks I think.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ShapeGSX said:
No. Not all Forza 3 tracks have a reverse version. Almost none of the real world tracks have a reverse ribbon.

Right.

But the amount of real tracks with no reverse can be counted on your fingers probably compared to the amount of real location/fictitious tracks which do have reverse layouts. I mean you have stuff like High Speed Ring variants with reverses account for what I remember was nearly 20 "tracks". And they are all virtually circles or square or that really long one with 2 hairpins.

Firewire

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
GT sells more than 2m during first 4 months. :lol

2 Million in Europe alone in it's first month, easy.

It's not front loaded like most games but keeps selling months and years after release.

Lagspike_exe said:
Also, what are these "games like Forza" that tend to have huge legs you mentioned?

Forza 3 did have rather long legs, however, at least in some parts of Europe. Up until this July it was among the top 40 best selling games in UK, week after week. It's also still played by quite a few people, being a regular on Major Nelson's Live activity charts.

It certainly wasn't a blockbuster of epic proportions, but it seems it still did very well.

Iknos

Stink said:
Also, 18 variations of sidewinder don't count :lol

What a terrible circuit :lol

It is crap but you can't discount the rest of the tracks. T10's fantasy tracks are amazing.

Forza 3 has its flaws but the amount and the quality of the tracks shouldn't be one of them. The accuracy of some tracks that were made for FM2 are an issue...Suzuka's elevations feel off for example.

Just saying that if there is any reason to want to buy Forza it is because of the tracks in the game both real and fantasy. Tracks like Road America don't seem to be in many console racers and it was done very well in FM3. Perfect for LMPs.

We don't know GT5's tracklisting yet. The way PD has been so conservative with all of their details it would be safe to assume that they are lowballing it right now.

Angst

Yay, 90 minutes of US-edited Top Gear and 5 cars? What could go wrong?

Edit - fuck, I've told myself to stay the hell away from posting in this thread and then I did it nevertheless... :-/ :lol

jett

D-Member
Clearly Polyphony knew of this deal with Forza beforehand and their Top Gear deal is just a reaction to it, amirite.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just find it funny that the SLS-AMG (car in GT5's art box) is one of Forza's DLC cars.

Pepto

Banned
jett said:
Clearly Polyphony knew of this deal with Forza beforehand and their Top Gear deal is just a reaction to it, amirite.
Not possible. Companies like Polyphony and Turn 10 do not pay attention what the competition does or doesn't do. It is just a coincidence that Top Gear is featured in both games.

jett said:
You should understand that T10 had plans for Top Gear in their game since the start. They are in no way aping GT5's vision. They also had plans for Dr. Who and Mr. Bean. The fact that they couldn't get them in the game does not matter. Important thing is that they had plans.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Firewire said:
Why would they sign a Top Gear deal if they can't even get the track or challenges? Kind of seems pointless if you ask me.
It's a deal for the next Forza game.

The cars and video stuff is just a stop gap.

Jomjom

Banned
I'm confused... So this deal is NOT an exclusive deal and all they got out of it so far is a 90 minute video? If that is it, how is that at all a blow to GT5?

jling84 said:
I'm confused... So this deal is NOT an exclusive deal and all they got out of it so far is a 90 minute video? If that is it, how is that at all a blow to GT5?
They can put "Top Gear exclusive content" on their box, and people who have no idea how insignificant the content could possibly buy it thinking they are getting more from it.

Jomjom

Banned
phosphor112 said:
They can put "Top Gear exclusive content" on their box, and people who have no idea how insignificant the content could possibly buy it thinking they are getting more from it.

I think people who care about Top Gear and are looking to buy a racing game are going to be pretty knowledgeable about stuff like this. Unless there's more content, this deal is pretty insignificant.

A video that you will certainly be able to watch on the internet and some DLC cars just isn't going to cut it.

Firewire said:
Why would they sign a Top Gear deal if they can't even get the track or challenges? Kind of seems pointless if you ask me.
Why would they put all this in Forza 3, when they're already working on the next game? It would be a waste of time, money and human resources. It's just a "me too" reaction to let people know they also have some Top Gear content and you can buy it soon. It's not really interesting until the next Forza arrives.

ElNino

Firewire said:
Well, they say the deal involves other things going forward.

Keikoko what is this from:
dead-6.gif

ElNino

AndyD said:
Like a monthly DLC promise?
They never promised monthly DLC, but did come pretty close to delivering that. Some media outlets suggested that they might do monthly DLC, but Turn 10 officially said that it was speculation and that they would not be doing that, iirc.

ElNino said:
They never promised monthly DLC, but did come pretty close to delivering that. Some media outlets suggested that they might do monthly DLC, but Turn 10 officially said that it was speculation and that they would not be doing that, iirc.
I'm pretty sure they did at E3, when they revealed Forza 3 on stage.

e: Just watched the E3 09 presentation and I was wrong.

Top Bottom