• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

I'm very surprised by how bad Laguna Seca looks in GT5, I'm assuming that's one of the "standard" tracks. I initially wondered if it had been faked, but it looks the same on the gamespot vid where they do a short segment on the track.

Edit - Bah, stupid new page. Image is on the last page.

duk

Banned
Psychotext said:
I'm very surprised by how bad Laguna Seca looks in GT5, I'm assuming that's one of the "standard" tracks. I initially wondered if it had been faked, but it looks the same on the gamespot vid where they do a short segment on the track.

Edit - Bah, stupid new page. Image is on the last page.

Why is LS green in GT5? It's never green.

duk said:
Interesting in regards to framerates and screen tearing.
That's not interesting, it's depressing.

Ahh well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow if I can deal with it or not. I f*ck*ng hate tearing though. :(

theignoramus said:
Fair enough.
But I still havnt found the cars built with 10x the number of polygons as Forza 2 models.
They're in the menus and such. Those cars really are extremely detailed. They're not used during races, though.

Shaneus

Synless said:
This is a shitty comparison though. GT5 has more cars on the track and dynamic weather and day/night cycles. Of course it going to have drops.
Such a shit excuse. Was it the last page which mentioned "we have more going on so we can allow for screen tearing and framerate drops"? The whole argument is there. If you can't put shit in and maintain a smooth gaming experience, don't fucking do it.

golem

Sometimes it sounds like GT5 was just made to hit marketing targets..

1080P! Not really
More cars on track! Screen tearing
1000+ Cars! Mostly from GT4

Next time hopefully they can put out a more focused experience.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Given the framerate issues and tearing + the standard/premium car fiasco I wonder what GT5 would have looked like if they released it last year :lol

kevm3

It's funny how 'awesome' PGR 4 is at 30 fps, but somehow GT5 with 16 cars on screen, dynamic day and night, dynamic weather, and 1080p needs to be "more focused".

Synless said:
This is a shitty comparison though. GT5 has more cars on the track and dynamic weather and day/night cycles. Of course it going to have drops.

They also have a lot more time to polish the game if you want to go excuse route ... screen tearing is going to be annoying for me but I will live. It's suck Amazon doesn't ship this particular game on released date. I was so tempted to buy a regular edition when I was at Best Buy today.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kevm3 said:
It's funny how 'awesome' PGR 4 is at 30 fps, but somehow GT5 with 16 cars on screen, dynamic day and night, dynamic weather, and 1080p needs to be "more focused".
Yes, it really does. Ambition is one thing, stability is another. I value stability and consistency over a flabbergast of features and numbers.

Also, I didn't know that this became Forza vs. PGR4 vs. GT5.
PGR4 has dynamic weather in single player too.

WHOAguitarninja said:
They're in the menus and such. Those cars really are extremely detailed. They're not used during races, though.
These are the extracted meshes from FM3
LOD0: 172753 polys (car selection)
LOD1: 45074 polys
LOD2: 21802 polys
LOD3: 13134 polys
LOD4: 6360 polys
LOD5: 2556 polys
Hi-res cockpit: 79,845 polys

I'm not sure how you can spin these numbers to give that marketing PR a small measure of truth, but I'd be happy to see someone try.

kevm3 said:

I am sorry but that's bullshit excuse consider this game is many years in the making and from producer who touted perfection. I am more shock (well may be not) that the lot of you GT5 zealots are so willingly overlook all the shortcoming and bring up all kind of excuse.

I am sorry but after so many delays and years in production, I don't understand why I am going to be treated with screen tearing in racing game... oh well my collector's edition will be here Friday I am hoping the report of tearing is overblown.

Synless

Gold Member
Shaneus said:
Let's see GT6 put 50 cars on screen at 10 million polys @ 1080p, run at 2fps. Doesn't matter, it's got more shit on the screen!
It's not running at 2 fps, 25 fps or even 35fps, the lowest it hit was 40 fps and it was probably running at a higher resolution then 720p. I'll take more cars, better lighting, and everything else GT offers with some fps issues. This isn't like Castlevania where the game was almost a mess because it it.

shinnn

Synless said:
Shame the video analysis only show 12 cars and no dynamic weather in GT5. So the drop could be even worse?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
shinnn said:
Shame the video analysis only show 12 cars and no dynamic weather in GT5. So the drop could be even worse?
Seriously, some of the magnitudes of these numbers are getting to people's heads and outweighing all observable differences that have been documented in this thread..
Shaneus said:

RSTEIN said:
Given the framerate issues and tearing + the standard/premium car fiasco I wonder what GT5 would have looked like if they released it last year :lol
antiquegamer said:
They also have a lot more time to polish the game if you want to go excuse route ... screen tearing is going to be annoying for me but I will live.
So the cliff notes is that GT5 doesn't blow Forza out of the water like many are/were claiming or expecting?

AZ Greg

kevm3 said:

Never thought I'd see this sort of excuse/justification for a GT game.

Then again, this generation...

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
CadetMahoney said:
So the cliff notes is that GT5 doesn't blow Forza out of the water like many are/were claiming or expecting?

Forza 3's Metacritic/Game Ranking is higher than GT5. The analysis of frame rate/screen tearing says FM3 is better (both done with no weather and same number of cars).

Other than that it's all subjective.

CadetMahoney said:

There will never be a consensus and definitely not in this thread! :lol
Especially when the most vocal people don't have the chance to play both games.

Broman1978

Bebpo said:
-Forza has better photomode because you can pause out

Wait...
You cant pause and enter "Photomode" in GT5? (like Forza3, PGR4...etc)?
You have to watch a replay to to photomode? (Like Halo reach)

Or have I misunderstood that?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Not to be a non-troll, but genuine question.

How do people play in the first person perspective? It definitely looks cooler, but it cant be practical for actual races, can it? I mean sure you could still pull off the wins when you memorize the tracks, but it has to be way harder.

Am I way off? I ask because if I'm wrong I'd love to try out the first person way.

Shaneus

schennmu said:
There will never be a consensus and definitely not in this thread! :lol
Especially when the most vocal people don't have the chance to play both games.
I'll be playing both! Going by what I've read, I'll play GT for 10 minutes, stop, apply some Visine from the screen tearing then go play some Forza 3 ;)

(obviously kidding, doubt I'll be able to stop playing it TBH)

Edit:

Broman1978 said:
Wait...

Understood perfectly.
Edit #2: Having said that, it's probably something they could patch in easily enough.

shinnn

Broman1978 said:
Wait...

yes you're right... looks like you can't control the replay too (rewind, fast forward, etc.)

Bebpo

Banned
Broman1978 said:
Wait...

you understand correctly :(

FootNinja said:

How do people play in the first person perspective? It definitely looks cooler, but it cant be practical for actual races, can it? I mean sure you could still pull off the wins when you memorize the tracks, but it has to be way harder.

Am I way off? I ask because if I'm wrong I'd love to try out the first person way.

Judging corners is easier for me in first person. I have a better feel for the front of my car.

shinnn

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
WHOAguitarninja said:
Judging corners is easier for me in first person. I have a better feel for the front of my car.
It didn't start out that way though did it? Not to mention with weather, it will be even harder to see anything.

Shaneus said:
I'll be playing both! Going by what I've read, I'll play GT for 10 minutes, stop, apply some Visine from the screen tearing then go play some Forza 3 ;)

(obviously kidding, doubt I'll be able to stop playing it TBH)

You won't, I promise. Game is worth the purchase for a lap with the Mercedes SLS on the Ring alone. Fucking ridiculous! Gran Turismo Nürburgring is so superior to all other sims.

FootNinja said:

Tracks arent that hard to memorize in racing games(Even Nurburgring is somewhat easy to memorize).

First person/cockpit/bumper is easier for me because I can get a better idea where the front of the car is and aim for the apexes.

Not impressed at all so far, I expected some tearing but not when I'm leading a race and using bumper cam, there's fuck all else on the screen but the track.

That's not all though, GT5 honestly has the poorest image quality I've seen this gen (I don't own many PS3 games to compare) GT5P had a clean look, small details, like dials were a little blurred, probably due to the horizontal scaling but overall it was decent. GT5 blurs the whole screen on top of this.

Cars handle well though :lol

Top Bottom