• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Lagspike_exe said:
It's the lighting. Forza has a cartoonish lighting engine, while GT5 has a really realistic lighting engine. It's even more pronounced in the photo mode. While some GT5 photos can easily pass as RL pictures, Forza 3 clearly shows it's still just a game.

It's not just that though. Some of the city tracks look way beyond any track in Forza 3 too (and yeah I also have both). And the car's paint / material shaders are still much better. But lighting is definitely a big part of it, as people have been showing by messing with Forza screenshots.

SmokyDave

Lagspike_exe said:
It's the lighting. Forza has a cartoonish lighting engine, while GT5 has an excellent one.
That could well be it. I know I've never been that fond of the lighting in cockpit view in Forza, it seems clinical and sterile, whereas the cockpit view in GT5 feels 'real'. I even caught a shadow travelling across my back seats last night, that made me very happy. I think the shaders might play a large part too, metal actually looks like metal and plastic actually looks plastic.

It looks phenomenal.

StuBurns

Banned
Based on the screens, I do think FZ3 looks better. However I've seen the games in motion and know that isn't actually the case.

skybaby

Lagspike_exe said:
So... change them? Takes 30 seconds. Is this really something worth pointing out?
I just think it's something that should have been changed, evolved, just like look-around in the cockpit, if that isn't in.

shinnn

hvp4bb.jpg

:lol

Shaneus

The Shift said:
This thread inspired me to load up PGR4 last night and I had a ball - such a great game. Bikes + full Michelin test track is fucking great times. I need to break out my DC and give MSR a rip one of these days for nostalgia's sake. Does GR still have Monday Night Racing going on?
We just had a PGR4 night last MNR in memoriam of Bizarre :lol (though I completely forgot and missed out)

Who are you again?

SmokyDave said:
I've never had my jaw dropped by Forza 3 (and I'm a level 50 driver with a nearly completed event list), whereas GT5 made me say 'Wow' several times last night. I don't know why it looks so much better to me (as Forza is a really good looking game) but it just does. It seems more 'organic' or some other nebulous concept that I can't put my finger on.

As for the actual driving, there is no comparison. GT5 wins hands down.

That's my take now I've played both.
Forza has always had superior environments, but the boring (and frequently ugly) lighting and car shaders have never done it any favours. Perhaps that will change in Forza 4. Che claims the bullshots and pre-rendered material from last E3 are a snapshot of what the new lighting system looks like.

According to this site, December 1st patch will, among other things, activate damage in Arcade and reduce framerate issue (thus reducing tearing issues as well). Thanks to Fersis and his Google translator. :lol

eso76

Random thoughts from my time with GT5:

presentation: Forza 3 copied GT minimalistic style and actually ended up being more minimal than gt5 itself. GT5 is a banner mess. Menus: Fm3 > GT5.
GT5 has rolling demos. Awesome rolling demos. Apex book is very well done.

graphics: GT5 can look VERY bad at times. My first race was a shock. Shadows flickering everywhere, disappearing, being rendered in stripes, in blocks..i honestly thought my ps3 gpu was frying. Rain. Nowhere near what i expected from the videos. Windshield becomes a pixelated mess, water being kicked up by cars in front of me turn everything into a 320x240 fest. Fog is ugly. My fist car was a Yaris (or whatever it's called in Japan). Thought Fm3 cockpits were flat and ugly ? wait till you see this. It's honestly a lot worse than the same car in fm3.
But it can also look incredibly good with the right cars and in the right conditions. I was hoping i wouldn't have to avoid certain cars and tracks like i did in fm3 to make the game look good, but there's an even bigger lack of consistency here.
Fm3 can look bad at times. GT5 can look much worse.
Fm3 can look pretty at times. GT5 can look much better.
But i don't care, the game can really shine at times. I just witnessed a demo showing a lap on the Ring starting at night, going on through dawn and ending in daylight. I was in awe.

Sound: i wasn't expecting this, but they sound pretty much identical. I did a few comparisons with the same cars and engine noise sounded pretty much the same to me.
I should mention that i had just replaced my Yamaha receiver with a brand new Marantz 6004 before booting GT5, but i don't know how much it affected engine noises, will have to check fm3 with the same setup today. Tires: better in fm3. Crashes: better in fm3.
Soundtrack; pretty much forgettable during races in both titles, but Gt5 has an awesome selection for menus and stuff.

Physics / Gameplay: Using a joypad Fm3 feels the better one, but with a wheel (Fanatec PWTS) Gt5 kicks all kinds of ass. Not that fm3 didn't, but FF communicates weight transfer, weight and power of cars much better in GT5. And rally ? damn the wheel started kicking my ass like it's never done before. I felt countersteering was a tad too easy on dirt/gravel, but it's awesome.
While GT5 provides a more accurate driving experience, though, driving a fiat 131 abarth down Fujimi Kaido with a good wheel is something that needs to be experienced.
Clutch doesn't feel nearly as accurate in GT5 as it does in fm3.
Collisions and damage...still much better in fm3. You can still bump your way to victory in Gt5. It has improved over its predecessors (hitting other cars will send them spinning etc) but it's still far too forgiving. Can't really comment on AI yet.

Features: Rain didn't feel that different to me, main difference being lack of visibility. B-Spec...am i supposed to sit through the race and tell the driver what to do all the time ? not going to bother (plus, driving is so much fun i don't see why i wouldn't want to).
Photo mode..not as immediate as fm3's (can't pause during a race and shoot, can't move back and forth when i enter shoot mode) but you are given more freedom (not to mention results are a lot better, if only for size and compression). You don't see how increasing exposure time affects your picture. Fm3 shows that in real time.
As far as car customization goes, Forza is the clear winner.

Buy and play both. While GT5 has more content, both games have their own set of features and pros and neither title can fully replace the other.

shinnn said:
and this make me cry :(

[]http://www.gamereactor.se/media/98/granturismo5_229830b.jpg[/IMG]
[]http://www.gamereactor.se/media/98/granturismo5_229829b.jpg[/IMG]

can't read the gauges!

Funny how you keep posting the same heavily compressed bad captures. You honestly think the game looks like that? :lol

Forsete posted some direct grabs. Continue to ignore them.

The Shift

Banned
Shaneus said:
We just had a PGR4 night last MNR in memoriam of Bizarre :lol (though I completely forgot and missed out)

Who are you again?

I used to lurk Playnow years back and check up on GR every now and again but am not a member there. MNR seems like a great idea, especially for Australian timezone - didn't that start back in the PGR2 days at Playnow?

Metalmurphy said:
Funny how you keep posting the same heavily compressed bad captures. You honestly think the game looks like that? :lol
Says the guy who posts compressed pics of FM3. Check the trees and geometry again.

shinnn

Metalmurphy said:
captures. You honestly think the game looks like that? :lol

Forsete posted some direct grabs. Continue to ignore them.
nah... Have you realized that I just picked up those screens to reply to others crap FM3 screen grabs, right? however I don't think that Forsete special screen grabs will be too much different in this track

acidspunk said:
Wat. It actually tells you to move away from the standard cars when you get too close to take a picture?
yeap :lol

SmokyDave

eso76 said:
driving a fiat 131 abarth down Fujimi Kaido with a good wheel is something that needs to be experienced.
High 5 man! Probably my favourite car in F3. Here's mine being ragged around....

r0rouo.jpg

Love that car.

a1m

Banned
ResidentDante said:
Says the guy who posts compressed pics of FM3. Check the trees and geometry again.
Sorry but I didn't post compressed pics of FM3.

shinnn said:
nah... Have you realized that I just picked up those screens to reply to others crap FM3 screen grabs, right? however I don't think that Forsete special screen grabs will be too much different in this track
Crap? Sorry but no.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
No, I'm not arguing anything. I'm evaluating the data as it comes out. All this talk about graphics, features (e.g. Karts vs. Livery Editor or whatever), 'feel', etc. is ALL subjective.

The only thing we can compare is the stuff that can be quantified. The aggregate opinion of the world is quantified through the review scores. This is far from perfect. But the world's critics have spoken: Forza 3 is better. I'm not arguing that. It's a data point. 92% vs. 88%.

Now that we have that established, we can move on. What are some of the interesting technical stuff we can quantify?

- framerate
- physics
- tearing
- polygons per car
- resolution
- etc.

This is starting to trickle in. Forza 3 has a better framerate and no tearing. I'm not arguing that. Again, it's an objective test that I'm pointing to.

Hopefully someone can do a comprehensive analysis of the physics. Given the impressions I suspect that GT5 will win that hands down. I'm going to celebrate that, not use it to kick Forza 3 in the teeth.

Next what we can do is post DIRECT SCREEN GRABS from the same points on the same tracks with nearly the same lighting conditions to evaluate the cars, backgrounds, etc. I've only seen this done with Laguna Seca and again the conclusion is that Forza 3 has a more impressive background. I'm not arguing it. It's a screen grab. It is what it is.

Huggers

I'm currently Xboxless having gone through 2, GT5 has reignited my passion for driving games, what's the deal with Forza 4? Because that could be a system seller for me.

RSTEIN said:
No, I'm not arguing anything. I'm evaluating the data as it comes out. All this talk about graphics, features (e.g. Karts vs. Livery Editor or whatever), 'feel', etc. is ALL subjective.

The only thing we can compare is the stuff that can be quantified. The aggregate opinion of the world is quantified through the review scores. This is far from perfect. But the world's critics have spoken: Forza 3 is better. I'm not arguing that. It's a data point. 92% vs. 88%.

Now that we have that established, we can move on. What are some of the interesting technical stuff we can quantify?

- framerate
- physics
- tearing
- polygons per car
- resolution
- etc.

This is starting to trickle in. Forza 3 has a better framerate and no tearing. I'm not arguing that. Again, it's an objective test that I'm pointing to.

Hopefully someone can do a comprehensive analysis of the physics. Given the impressions I suspect that GT5 will win that hands down. I'm going to celebrate that, not use it to kick Forza 3 in the teeth.

Next what we can do is post DIRECT SCREEN GRABS from the same points on the same tracks with nearly the same lighting conditions to evaluate the cars, backgrounds, etc. I've only seen this done with Laguna Seca and again the conclusion is that Forza 3 has a more impressive background. I'm not arguing it. It's a screen grab. It is what it is.

Pretty obvious that in 1 month we'll all agree that FM3 is the better game.

saladine1

The Hug Dog said:
I'm currently Xboxless having gone through 2, GT5 has reignited my passion for driving games, what's the deal with Forza 4? Because that could be a system seller for me.
Well apparentely, what you see in FM3 but 108769930000 times better!

jett

D-Member
That screen tearing percentage on GT5 is pretty disgusting...damn. What happened to Kaz's "a game that doesn't run at 60fps can barely be considered a game at all!" bullshit. :lol

eso76 said:
Random thoughts from my time with GT5:

presentation: Forza 3 copied GT minimalistic style and actually ended up being more minimal than gt5 itself. GT5 is a banner mess. Menus: Fm3 > GT5.
GT5 has rolling demos. Awesome rolling demos. Apex book is very well done.

graphics: GT5 can look VERY bad at times. My first race was a shock. Shadows flickering everywhere, disappearing, being rendered in stripes, in blocks..i honestly thought my ps3 gpu was frying. Rain. Nowhere near what i expected from the videos. Windshield becomes a pixelated mess, water being kicked up by cars in front of me turn everything into a 320x240 fest. Fog is ugly. My fist car was a Yaris (or whatever it's called in Japan). Thought Fm3 cockpits were flat and ugly ? wait till you see this. It's honestly a lot worse than the same car in fm3.
But it can also look incredibly good with the right cars and in the right conditions. I was hoping i wouldn't have to avoid certain cars and tracks like i did in fm3 to make the game look good, but there's an even bigger lack of consistency here.
Fm3 can look bad at times. GT5 can look much worse.
Fm3 can look pretty at times. GT5 can look much better.
But i don't care, the game can really shine at times. I just witnessed a demo showing a lap on the Ring starting at night, going on through dawn and ending in daylight. I was in awe.

Sound: i wasn't expecting this, but they sound pretty much identical. I did a few comparisons with the same cars and engine noise sounded pretty much the same to me.
I should mention that i had just replaced my Yamaha receiver with a brand new Marantz 6004 before booting GT5, but i don't know how much it affected engine noises, will have to check fm3 with the same setup today. Tires: better in fm3. Crashes: better in fm3.
Soundtrack; pretty much forgettable during races in both titles, but Gt5 has an awesome selection for menus and stuff.

Physics / Gameplay: Using a joypad Fm3 feels the better one, but with a wheel (Fanatec PWTS) Gt5 kicks all kinds of ass. Not that fm3 didn't, but FF communicates weight transfer, weight and power of cars much better in GT5. And rally ? damn the wheel started kicking my ass like it's never done before. I felt countersteering was a tad too easy on dirt/gravel, but it's awesome.
While GT5 provides a more accurate driving experience, though, driving a fiat 131 abarth down Fujimi Kaido with a good wheel is something that needs to be experienced.
Clutch doesn't feel nearly as accurate in GT5 as it does in fm3.
Collisions and damage...still much better in fm3. You can still bump your way to victory in Gt5. It has improved over its predecessors (hitting other cars will send them spinning etc) but it's still far too forgiving. Can't really comment on AI yet.

Features: Rain didn't feel that different to me, main difference being lack of visibility. B-Spec...am i supposed to sit through the race and tell the driver what to do all the time ? not going to bother (plus, driving is so much fun i don't see why i wouldn't want to).
Photo mode..not as immediate as fm3's (can't pause during a race and shoot, can't move back and forth when i enter shoot mode) but you are given more freedom (not to mention results are a lot better, if only for size and compression). You don't see how increasing exposure time affects your picture. Fm3 shows that in real time.
As far as car customization goes, Forza is the clear winner.

Buy and play both. While GT5 has more content, both games have their own set of features and pros and neither title can fully replace the other.

This all sounds like a reasonable post.

Lothars

LordPhoque said:

I don't think that's fair to say especially since GT has only been out for a day or so, I think it's more of what you prefer but I will be interested to see what is considered better by the end.

Pretty reasonable, I agree, certainly against the background of this thread ;).

The Photo-Mode I don't fully agree with though - when you pause the game, it's just one button away from Photo-Mode, and then you can walk all around the Nurburgring on foot to take a position, and then another button to bring the camera up.

From then on there are a lot of nice bits about Photo mode, like being able to save your shots, share them directly with your friends from within the game, export them to the XMB (and then upload them to facebook or picasa from there, copy to any USB device, etc.), and most important of all, not suffer the horrible compression and tiny sizes and such when you have to do it through Forza.net.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
here's an honest question for gt5 champions:

would you have preferred it if polyphony nuked the idea of crafting an extreme lod purely for photomode/showroom purposes, and redirected those resources into improving the inconsistent in-game experience?

SmokyDave

ghst said:
here's an honest question for gt5 champions:

would you have preferred it if polyphony nuked the idea of crafting an extreme lod purely for photomode/showroom purposes, and redirected those resources into improving the inconsistent in-game experience?
Personally speaking, no. Apart from the fact that I dream of someone ripping the models for use in PC mods, I think we'll really see where all the work went in the next generation GT when those models are on the track. Having models of that quality is a real asset when it comes to making future games.

a1m said:
Well I do think some of the standards do look awful but to go to such lengths as to compare GT5 standards and Forza 3 cars? Wow.

It's Lord Phoque. He went to ridiculous lengts to defend Alan Wake's sub hd resolution and tearing and now feels obliged to post as many bad shots of GT5 standard cars as possible! :lol

LordPhoque said:

Which you probably knew even before playing it. (Assuming you actually did)

RSTEIN said:
(e.g. Karts vs. Livery Editor or whatever)

More like livery editor vs. the world! :lol

SmokyDave

dark10x said:
Personally, in a few days, I'll be thinking that PGR4 is better than both.
I don't get why PGR4 keeps coming up. It's a great arcade racer but if you're into sims then it doesn't hold a candle to GT4 & Forza 2, let alone GT5 & Forza 3.

Test Drive Unlimited > *

Lothars

dark10x said:

Wrong, PGR4 is a great game but it's not a sim game and it can't hold a candle to either GT5 or Forza 3 and it's not even the best arcade racer.

dark10x said:

I've mostly driven motorcycles in that game last time round. I'll have to pop it back in to try some of the cars and see how that statement holds up.

Lothars said:
Wrong, PGR4 is a great game but it's not a sim game and it can't hold a candle to either GT5 or Forza 3 and it's not even the best arcade racer.

No, that title belongs to PGR2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lothars said:
I know, I know.

I've come to realize that I just prefer those arcade-sim hybrid games (which I believe PGR to be) over straight sims. Thus far, GT5 is pretty interesting and I'm getting more out of it this time due to my increased love of cars, but without a wheel, it's less fun. I simply don't know if I want to invest in a wheel (what are the best options anyways?).

If I had a wheel, I think I could probably get into it much more.

BeeDog

dark10x said:
I know, I know.

I've come to realize that I just prefer those arcade-sim hybrid games (which I believe PGR to be) over straight sims. Thus far, GT5 is pretty interesting and I'm getting more out of it this time due to my increased love of cars, but without a wheel, it's less fun. I simply don't know if I want to invest in a wheel (what are the best options anyways?).

Buy the DFGT if you don't wanna blow too much money on a wheel. GT5 supports it perfectly either way. :D

Lothars

dark10x said:
I know, I know.

Hey don't worry I don't have a wheel either and I still enjoy it, i've often thought about getting a wheel but can't fully justify it.

nib95

Banned
Admittedly a lot of the visuals are inconsistent. Both in track and cars, but overall I think the game looks glorious.

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-430.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-437.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-442.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-452.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-458.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-460.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-471.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-481.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-489.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-492.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-495.jpg

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-496.jpg