• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
Shawsie64 said:
I mean do not one of you care about the physics? who gives a fucking shit about the graphics as long as the physics are realistic. We should do a poll of the average age of people posting in this thread.

physics YESSSSS!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
LordPhoque said:
So what ? Reviewers saying the AI is bad only played beginner's series, am I right ? They can't think that playing until level 40 or I don't know. Well guess what, I've read a lot of french reviews, watched video reviews of a guy who reached level 23 and he was still saying the same thing.
But eh, it's always player's fault, never the game's :lol
You're a lost cause. Just assume without ever digging into Gt5.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
LordPhoque said:
Well guess what, I've read a lot of french reviews,
:lol

I really can't do this anymore. Fine, believe whatever you want. Enjoy your respective racing game! I'm going to go enjoy mine.

Chrange said:
Too bad IGN and GamePro aren't as credible as gamerfitnation :lol

I love their "screenshots"
IGN is a cesspool realm of fucking idiots; it has to be in Gaf FAQ by now. I don't know about Gamepro, but I'd listen to gameshark.com over IGN.

Chrange

Banned
WretchedTruman said:
IGN is a cesspool realm of fucking idiots; it has to be in Gaf FAQ by now. I don't know about Gamepro, but I'd listen to gameshark.com over IGN.
Here's a gamerfitnation snippet:
it has taught me to when choosing a car every aspect matters, whether it’s the weight, spring, model, speed isn’t always what you should look for. Graphic developers have reached another visual achievement that will make you believe there are no limits to what they can do. Design and Feature wise everything is brilliantly put together and you can see why it took 5 years for this game to be release. Game-play comes together very well and sets a new learning curve for old and new drives of the series. Replay ability…If you can finished game which I believe to be impossible at the moment, then you’ll play it over and over again. Some people may disagree, but I honestly found nothing wrong with this game. So after you have had your thanksgiving meal with the family, I suggest you enjoy some GT5. Play standing up to burn more calories, and take breaks when need. Five years was a long time, but it was well worth the wait.

Now here's an awesome standard car! :lol

YrtxN.jpg

Chrange said:
Here's a gamerfitnation snippet:

sounds like dozens of other more professional gaming web sites that we refer to on a daily basis. Proper grammar and sentence structure are literally limited to a couple of places.
Is that what you were referring to?

For the record, I don't know anything about this site, say what you will about them. I just know - what we all should know, really- that IGN is a terrible scab mark on the internet that isn't credible in any sense of the word.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
schennmu said:
Now here's an awesome standard car! :lol

http://i.imgur.com/YrtxN.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That is why I am glad they ported over the standard cars. For the crazy stuff.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
user_nat said:
That is why I am glad they ported over the standard cars. For the crazy stuff.

C'mon man that car deserves to be a premium. Every car deserves to be a premium. Fuck PD for portin those fugly GT4 assets I really hated that idea.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
scandisk_ said:
C'mon man that car deserves to be a premium. Every car deserves to be a premium. Fuck PD for portin those fugly GT4 assets I really hated that idea.
You know what the MOST fucked up part is? Some people are okay for the quality of port PD displayed with some of their standard cars. Or just try to ignore it. It's quite sad. I wouldn't have a problem with ported over cars, if they did them right and actually were consistent across the board. 6 years of dev time and they didn't have 10 minutes to run through and check for the horrible technical errors on some of the cars. Sheesh.

Hell, until I read this thread I didn't know Forza 3 ported models from Forza 2. In Forza 3 they look much better. Less piss filter is an instant win by default, but still, the jobs done on the cars are pretty damn consistent.

As for AI, the AI in Forza 3 is fairly competent, but a bit on the aggressive side. The AI in prologue wasn't anything special at all. I wouldn't call it "abysmal," but I didn't see the AI do anything special that made me classify it as "intelligent." I don't know if any racing games have truly intelligent AI, from what I've played.

beast786

LordPhoque said:
So what ? Reviewers saying the AI is bad only played beginner's series, am I right ? They can't think that playing until level 40 or I don't know. Well guess what, I've read a lot of french reviews, watched video reviews of a guy who reached level 23 and he was still saying the same thing.
But eh, it's always player's fault, never the game's :lol

http://www.totalvideogames.com/Forza-Motorsport-3/review-14669.html

game's focus on attracting a more casual audience has detracted from the hardcore experience, with an inadvisably implemented time rewind feature and underwhelming opponent AI

http://www.cnet.com.au/forza-motorsport-3-339296770.htm

Bad: AI drivers occasionally fall asleep at the wheel • Career bug sometimes lets you use cars that far exceed event restrictions

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/driving/forzamotorsport3/review.html

it's not nearly as uncommon as it should be to see opponents accelerate toward the Seat hairpin and fly off into the gravel without ever appearing to touch the brake pedal or the steering wheel, and it's not unheard of to see different opponents making the exact same error on consecutive laps

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
enzo_gt said:
You know what the MOST fucked up part is? Some people are okay for the quality of port PD displayed with some of their standard cars. Or just try to ignore it. It's quite sad. I wouldn't have a problem with ported over cars, if they did them right and actually were consistent across the board. 6 years of dev time and they didn't have 10 minutes to run through and check for the horrible technical errors on some of the cars. Sheesh.

GT5'S A+ DRIVING PHYSICS is worth the 6 years though. I've been dissapointed with some of the game's inconsistencies but the driving physics really made me forget those. It's not perfect far from it but hell it's a perfect driving game at it's core.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
scandisk_ said:
GT5'S A+ DRIVING PHYSICS is worth the 6 years though. I've been dissapointed with some of the game's inconsistencies but the driving physics really made me forget those. It's not perfect far from it but hell it's a perfect driving game at it's core.
Are they better than Prologue's physics? Prologue felt like a game of bumper cars at times. Much more preferred Forza's driving model to that, there was a certain sense of inertia missing in the cars.

I cannot (and will not) judge the final product (I haven't played it).

That said, isn't it a bad design decision to make some of GT5's major improvements (damage, better AI) only reveal themselves hours into the experience? The game is improved. Show off. Strut that stuff.

jett

D-Member
enzo_gt said:
Are they better than Prologue's physics? Prologue felt like a game of bumper cars at times. Much more preferred Forza's driving model to that, there was a certain sense of inertia missing in the cars.

The collisions seem to be disappointingly the same as always, no matter what level you are or whatever. I wouldn't mind the weird damage effects if the cars stopped behaving like bumper cars. Arcade racers punish you harder for crashing into other cars FFS.

Brashnir

FunnyBunny said:
I cannot (and will not) judge the final product (I haven't played it).

That said, isn't it a bad design decision to make some of GT5's major improvements (damage, better AI) only reveal themselves hours into the experience? The game is improved. Show off. Strut that stuff.

This thread isn't really the ideal place for this sort of discussion, but I agree - It seems like they went out of their way to make a poor first impression with the way they held some features back in the beginning of the game.

I wonder if their thought process was to east GT fans into the game by starting the game out with a lot of the new stuff locked away, and slowly revealing it. Seems like a very odd way to go about things, even if that was their line of thought.

enzo_gt said:

Are you fucking serious? You haven't even played the game? And your shitting on the PS2 models? They look like horseshit in these caps that have been posted, but they look fine in motion, which is the only thing that counts imo. I'm sure this has been posted x 1000 already. Talk about ign being bad when this place is just as bad sometimes.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Terrordactyl said:
Are you fucking serious? You haven't even played the game? And your shitting on the PS2 models? They look like horseshit in these caps that have been posted, but they look fine in motion, which is the only thing that counts imo. I'm sure this has been posted x 1000 already. Talk about ign being bad when this place is just as bad sometimes.
Errr, are you quoting the right person? :lol

Jett's post seems to back him up a bit.

Brashnir said:
This thread isn't really the ideal place for this sort of discussion, but I agree - It seems like they went out of their way to make a poor first impression with the way they held some features back in the beginning of the game.

I won't continue the discussion here, I just was too worried about asking in the main thread and getting myself banned. Thank you, though for confirming I'm not the only person who thinks this.

XiaNaphryz

So anyone with extensive experience with rFactor or iRacing, how does GT5 compare so far in terms of the driving model/physics? Just curious what to expect when I eventually jump in.

LJ11

XiaNaphryz said:

Jett's post referred to collisions, the actual driving physics are leagues better than prologue. It rivals any other console racer released to date.

XiaNaphryz said:
So anyone with extensive experience with rFactor or iRacing, how does GT5 compare so far in terms of the driving model/physics? Just curious what to expect when I eventually jump in.

iam220 made a post in the official thread check it out, if you can actually find his post (made it yesterday).

XiaNaphryz

LJ11 said:
Jett's post referred to collisions, the actual driving physics are leagues better than prologue. It rivals any other console racer released to date.
I expect at least that, hence my other question above.

jett

D-Member
XiaNaphryz said:

Yeah I'm only talking about car collisions, not driving physics, because enzo was talking about bumper cars and whatnot. I haven't played GT5 yet btw :p but everything I've seen points to bumper-like collisions still being how cars affect each other. I would love to be proven wrong.

XiaNaphryz said:

I was assuming by the fact that he was questioning how the physics were in comparison to GT5P, which leads me to believe he hasn't played it. If he has sorry and your comments are more valid.

edit: sorry I quoted the wrong post from that guy I went on a small tirade against. I was speaking in regards to the PS2 models, when you actually play the game it's surprising how good they look, especially after being bombarded with these shitty looking pictures, I was almost dreading seeing it with my own eyes, I was really relieved to see them in game and looking nothing like the stills. The thing I hate the most about the GT4 models lack of cockpit cam, going from driving a premium car in cockpit all the time to a fullscreen bumper cam is jarring to say the least, it's even moreso going the opposite.

The physics are awesome, probably the best part of the game, but it still is a bit "bumper car-ish" It really doesn't bother me though, and I know someone is going so say some stupid shit about how it does matter, but I play this game for lap records and if I plan on setting any sort of record I shouldn't be hitting any corners at all. I usually grind out a course until I can do it flawlessly on a car that I'm comfortable with until I start bringing my tuned cars onto it. I know some people play this game for the competitive aspect and I can see how the collision can ruin that aspect of it because you can grind the walls and complete a turn at 100+ mph, which I agree sucks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Terrordactyl said:
Yes I am shitting on the PS2 models. And will continue to do so because I feel I am just. And I have seen some of the particular offenders in motion in videos, and hey, they look even worse than the PS2 models at times. Look back at my post history and see I haven't criticized anything you'd only know by playing GT5, and I've made that clear. You want to make excuses for the graphical irregularities and inconsistencies we've seen here? Go right ahead, I'll continue to criticize the models, along with you if you choose to do so.

Thats why I'm asking what's up with the physics and AI in GT5, because I'm comparing it all to my experience with Prologue (and Forza). My only gripe with GT5 are the inconsistencies that have been raised here. I still think the graphics, at their peak, absolutely shit on all the competition, and every single other video game out there bar none in terms of realism. That's why this little controversy of sorts is such a shame, and upsets me.

enzo_gt said:
Yes I am shitting on the PS2 models. And will continue to do so because I feel I am just. And I have seen some of the particular offenders in motion in videos, and hey, they look even worse than the PS2 models at times. Look back at my post history and see I haven't criticized anything you'd only know by playing GT5, and I've made that clear. You want to make excuses for the graphical irregularities and inconsistencies we've seen here? Go right ahead, I'll continue to criticize the models, along with you if you choose to do so.

Thats why I'm asking what's up with the physics and AI in GT5, because I'm comparing it all to my experience with Prologue (and Forza). My only gripe with GT5 are the inconsistencies that have been raised here. I still think the graphics, at their peak, absolutely shit on all the competition, and every single other video game out there bar none in terms of realism. That's why this little controversy of sorts is such a shame, and upsets me.

I'm not trying to make excuses, I just think the reaction is hyperbolic, they really don't look bad. I'm not trying to defend it because this hurts my feelings or some stupid shit, I think they genuinely look pretty decent, not up to the premium cars level obviously. There is no way for me to have seen all 800 models (I only have 14 cars after 10+ hrs of playtime, preorder car included) so perhaps I haven't seen the bad ones, but all of the ones I have seen do not look bad. I have not taken it into replay mode to scan around the cars to count jaggies, I suppose if I did that they would look bad.

Anyways rent the game or something, play it at a friends, I think you will be surprised.

Terrordactyl said:
I was assuming by the fact that he was questioning how the physics were in comparison to GT5P, which leads me to believe he hasn't played it. If he has sorry and your comments are more valid.

edit: sorry I quoted the wrong post from that guy I went on a small tirade against. I was speaking in regards to the PS2 models, when you actually play the game it's surprising how good they look, especially after being bombarded with these shitty looking pictures, I was almost dreading seeing it with my own eyes, I was really relieved to see them in game and looking nothing like the stills. The thing I hate the most about the GT4 models lack of cockpit cam, going from driving a premium car in cockpit all the time to a fullscreen bumper cam is jarring to say the least, it's even moreso going the opposite.

The physics are awesome, probably the best part of the game, but it still is a bit "bumper car-ish" It really doesn't bother me though, and I know someone is going so say some stupid shit about how it does matter, but I play this game for lap records and if I plan on setting any sort of record I shouldn't be hitting any corners at all. I usually grind out a course until I can do it flawlessly on a car that I'm comfortable with until I start bringing my tuned cars onto it. I know some people play this game for the competitive aspect and I can see how the collision can ruin that aspect of it because you can grind the walls and complete a turn at 100+ mph, which I agree sucks.
So basically no criticism against the game matters as you have personally rationalized them away. Lock this bitch up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Terrordactyl said:
I'm not trying to make excuses, I just think the reaction is hyperbolic, they really don't look bad. I'm not trying to defend it because this hurts my feelings or some stupid shit, I think they genuinely look pretty decent, not up to the premium cars level obviously. There is no way for me to have seen all 800 models (I only have 14 cars after 10+ hrs of playtime, preorder car included) so perhaps I haven't seen the bad ones, but all of the ones I have seen do not look bad. I have not taken it into replay mode to scan around the cars to count jaggies, I suppose if I did that they would look bad.

Anyways rent the game or something, play it at a friends, I think you will be surprised.
I haven't seen all 800 models either. But you must understand my point that I've been making in this thread since I started posting all of my angry replies. It's the inconsistency I see that infuriates me from a game design level. I'm used to Forza with 400 pretty good IMO looking cars are there. I've got the Photo and Video thread open at all times looking at all the crazy pictures, many of which are beautifully transferred over PS2 models that jive with the level of detail GT5 aims for.

But this isn't the case the entire time. Stills of some of these cars appear worse than in GT4, which is absurd and I don't know what the reason is for this happening, but it happened. And thus, the strength of the game and the OVERALL quality of the game is compromised. This terrible decision by PD upsets me, and it upsets me more knowing some people are willing to go to umpteenth lengths to defend a bad decision instead of just accepting the flaw and moving on with this, and everyone being happy. I'm sure a bunch of the hardcore GT folks in here hate me for criticizing this, but what can you do.

I assure you, as soon as I have access to this game, I will play it tirelessly. GT5 is the only game that makes me regret the choice of buying a 360 many, many years ago. I'm as disappointed as others, just voicing my opinion a bit more. And hey, now that I've announced that I haven't played GT5 maybe everyone else can go ahead and admit they haven't played Forza 3 and we can party together!

The PS2 models look like shit, but the lighting system is good enough to hide most of the ugliness when racing. Some standards are aggressively ugly, others look fine from a few feet away. They look more obnoxious in stills than they do in motion. That's all there is to it.

BamYouHaveAids said:
So basically no criticism against the game matters as you have personally rationalized them away. Lock this bitch up.

Wat?

terrordactyl said:
I can see how the collision can ruin that aspect of it because you can grind the walls and complete a turn at 100+ mph, which I agree sucks.

read

I'll comment on the AI, it's pretty shitty to start, you can basically "buy" a victory. For example, I played the Yaris race a couple of times managing only to place 3rd, I went and put 30k into tuning the car, played it again and spun out losing at least 10 seconds on my lap time and got passed by the 3 cars behind me, I came back and won because my car was superior to the other ones. As you get on in the A-spec career it does get more aggressive, I'm on the 3rd tier now, intermediate or whatever, it's ramped up significantly in terms of challenge. I have the Masarati Gran Turismo with about 200k in tuning mods (it has about 650 hp) and I'm finding some races to be more challenging, even the tracks that were in prologue which I know well force me to try a lot harder to place first.

I will say my experience with Forza 3 is limited, I've played a lot of 2, but skipped the 3rd for a rental. I will agree that it's shitty that they are using the 1000 cars tagline as a selling point. I kinda think they could have marketed it better, or offered the PS2 models up as a free download with a sticker on the case. The only irregular thing that realllly caught my eye was a taillight texture, the AI was breaking and the texture went to an ugly flat red color. I will agree x1000 that the inconsistencies ruin what could have been a near flawless presentation. At least there is a lot of content outside of the cars alone./rationalization

I think what taken me back a bit is i expected gt5 to come out and blow forza 3 out of the water in every aspect. Its looking clearly that this isnt the case which is either down to the hype people have around the game or a bit of a cluster bomb from kaz.

Shawsie64

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:

I think GT5 compares very well, sense of speed and feel of the cars is pretty spot on.

nib95

Banned
LordPhoque said:
First of all the AI is scripted, which is terrible game design-wise.
Also, the opponents are on rails, it's been that way since the first GT, and even prologue had the same problem. Races against the AI were boring in prologue because the opponents weren't trying anything, if you bump into them they'll just regain their rail just after the "crash". Seriously, can you honestly name a decent current gen racer that has a worse AI ?
I'm not even comparing it to Forza 3 because it's miles ahead. Forza 3's AI is actually good not just better than GT's, and one of the best on the market along with MSPR.
@Redbeard : not yet. But played it today, didn't see any difference with prologue's AI. It's still scripted BTW.
@Chubigans : you seem mad 'cause your comic didn't turn out to be true :( maybe GT6.

You're talking out of your ass mate. AI is not only massively improved, but often absolutely sublime. Just keep playing. Chances are you're either not far enough yet (game progressively ups the ante) or just haven't been paying attention. AI is brilliant. Cars make mistakes, block, avoid collisions, change driving lines and approaches, play aggressive, try overtaking manoeuvres and all.

Admittedly early on the AI was pants at times (cars not avoiding crashing in to me etc), but whilst testing damage earlier today (and in races generally speaking), I noticed the AI behaved completely different. It was actually difficult for me to hit them or get them to hit me. They just kept avoiding me.

Anyway, posts like the above one are why you can't take forum opinions or even reviews to an extent seriously. Many journalists (my friends included), had just two days to review GT5. Makes sense that many didin't get far enough to actually properly access the AI and advanced developments (tire temp/wear/changes, damage etc).

nib95

Banned
supermackem said:
I think what taken me back a bit is i expected gt5 to come out and blow forza 3 out of the water in every aspect. Its looking clearly that this isnt the case which is either down to the hype people have around the game or a bit of a cluster bomb from kaz.

If Polyphony had just removed the bad looking standard cars and some of the old asset tracks I guarantee things would be very different.

Shawsie64 said:
I think GT5 compares very well, sense of speed and feel of the cars is pretty spot on.

I think the sense of speed has been greatly improved, especially on Nurburgring, that track is so damn intense, it feels like I'm flying when I'm going 70. I always thought it was lacking a bit in that department, not anymore though.

adelante

nib95 said:
If Polyphony had just removed the bad looking standard cars and some of the old asset tracks I guarantee things would be very different.
Yeah..nobody (or at least those in the right mind) is arguing that Forza has its share of ugly lows. But people are surprised that a franchise that's been held in such high regard is able to produce visuals that are worse in quality compared to Forza's atrocity. More to the point, people's expectations of graphics were already maintained at a high level after GT5:p was released so it became a matter of PD doing no wrong from then on for many fans.

nib95

Banned
Terrordactyl said:
I think the sense of speed has been greatly improved, especially on Nurburgring, that track is so damn intense, it feels like I'm flying when I'm going 70. I always thought it was lacking a bit in that department, not anymore though.

The Nascar races and vehicles actually scare me, more from the sense of appreciation for the power that lies beneath the bonnet. They are so unwieldily and aggressive. I feel like my G25 is going to tear my hands off lol. I also did an intermediate level Go-kart race earlier which felt so fast and manic (despite not going above 90mph) it felt like I was in warp drive lol.

Yeah I was floored by the first Nascar challenge, I love how touchy they are, you can really appreciate owning a wheel in those cars. The karts are waaaaaaaaaay faster than I expected them to be, (I really didn't watch any media on this game outside of the e3 trailers because I knew I'd buy it day 1 anyways) karting is really pick up and play too, it takes little to no adjustment, but I sat there thinking "these dudes are crazy" while I was taking a turn at 70 mph :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
adelante said:
Yeah..nobody (or at least those in the right mind) is arguing that Forza has its share of ugly lows. But people are surprised that a franchise that's been held in such high regard is able to produce visuals that are worse in quality compared to Forza's atrocity. More to the point, people's expectations of graphics were already maintained at a high level after GT5:p was released so it became a matter of PD doing no wrong from then on for many fans.
Oh9It.gif

You can't seriously be arguing that Forza's lows are as bad as the pixellated abominations posted in this thread. Forza has lows, but they are not that low. This is ofcourse, if you are in your right mind.

adelante

enzo_gt said:
http://imgur.com/Oh9It.gif[//IMG]

You can't seriously be arguing that Forza's lows are as bad as the pixellated abominations posted in this thread. Forza has lows, but they are not that low. This is ofcourse, if you are in your right mind.[/QUOTE]
Um, that's what I meant? I guess I should clarify: "the franchise that's been held in such high regard" was in reference to GT, and that some of those standard car shots turned out to be worse "compared to Forza's atrocity"....

...which is something not many people expect considering how GT5:P's visuals were consistently of high-quality.

Top Bottom