• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Brashnir

adelante said:
Um, that's what I meant? I guess I should clarify: "the franchise that's been held in such high regard" was in reference to GT, and that some of those standard car shots are worse "compared to Forza's atrocity".

I don't think you know what that word means.

adelante

Brashnir said:
I don't think you know what that word means.
Ok fine it's an exaggeration...but it seemed like it wasn't for those who used screenshots of low LOD models as an opportunity to bash the game. Tables have kinda turned now that we've seen the pixellated mess in GT5

~Kinggi~ said:
Id say at current pace, the next Forza game should secure it as the top sim racer in the market. I mean when a game released over a year ago and a 2-3 year dev cycle has qualities better than a new release with 5 years dev time, i think that says something.

Polyphony needs to seriously step it up for the next release. Wonder if it was a troubled development.

keep dreaming pal

CozMick

Banned
Ok let's be honest here, when reviewing GT5 it was compared to real life, visuals, physics and handling model.

When reviewing Forza 3 they had nothing to compare it to except GT4.

GT5 may not be in the same league as the hype but it's damn sure a good league or 2 better than Forza 3.

CozMick said:
Ok let's be honest here, when reviewing GT5 it was compared to real life, visuals, physics and handling model.

GT5 may not be in the same league as the hype but it's damn sure a good league or 2 better than Forza 3.
Are you high on something?

Brashnir

ResidentDante said:
Are you high on something?

Hey man, cut him some slack. Real Life wasn't around back when Forza 3 came out. The only thing they could compare it to back in those days was Gran Turismo 4.

I think if PD used some serious focus testing and had community managers and an official community presence, then a lot of the apparent problems would be eventually solved. The UI might be more streamlined, some obvious features (like looking around with the right stick) would be present, the online might be stronger, the game might be not be so impenetrably based on slow progression, etc.

I think the whole "closed off bubble + visionary auteur" thing has worked for them for years, but this is about where it should end and become something resembling a normal development studio.

It just seems like Kaz Yamauchi went, "This is what GT is," and then they closed themselves off from the outside world and went to work on that, and that was that. A lot has changed since then; there's a competitor around that saw that there was room for improvement there. Sure, GT is still a huge brand name, and it's still going to outsell everything, but they can do better. It can retain that GT "feel" that people love so much and yet stop being so clunky.

CozMick

Banned
Brashnir said:
Hey man, cut him some slack. Real Life wasn't around back when Forza 3 came out. The only thing they could compare it to back in those days was Gran Turismo 4.

But that cartoon lighting mang!

You can't take a game that looks like Springfield seriously, so why compare it to real life? :lol

Brashnir said:
:lol

That's true!

CozMick said:
But that cartoon lighting mang!

You can't take a game that looks like Springfield seriously, so why compare it to real life? :lol
That's the drugs man, try it sober.

wotter

RedRedSuit said:
...some obvious features (like looking around with the right stick) would be present..
*sigh* this has been explained 1000 times already, you can map looking left/right in cockpit view to the right analog stick in the options menu.

wotter said:
*sigh* this has been explained 1000 times already, you can map looking left/right in cockpit view to the right analog stick in the options menu.

Okay, fine. Probably should have been default... but whatever. Surely you get my overall point?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
RedRedSuit said:
Okay, fine. Probably should have been default... but whatever. Surely you get my overall point?

I don't think many of the posters here are looking for points. You silly irrational fanboys and your video games.

duk

Banned
CozMick said:

we all know GT5 > Life

FStop7

Banned
If the next Forza game is going to have Kinect support then T10 has their work cut out for them, considering that Kinect monopolizes an entire CPU core.

Zinga

Banned
To me this all seems to be people arguing over nothing, aren't both great games?? and they are pretty good simulations as well considering that they are designed primarily for entertainment, though they don't compare to what's on PC by any means.

Brashnir

Zinga said:
To me this all seems to be people arguing over nothing

This isn't nothing man, these are console exclusives we're talking about here.

of course it's people arguing about nothing. Welcome to GAF

CozMick

Banned
Zinga said:
To me this all seems to be people arguing over nothing, aren't both great games?? and they are pretty good simulations as well considering that they are designed primarily for entertainment, though they don't compare to what's on PC by any means.

One has great driving physics, the other has a great "look ma, I drew Hello Kitty on my Ferrari" livery editor.

:D

Gowans

wotter said:
Can you explain it to me then as I've looked everywhere and this is not an option available to me.

Ploid 3.0

Gowans007 said:
Can you explain it to me then as I've looked everywhere and this is not an option available to me.

Go to options, select the controller, move through the button config. You can map whatever button you want with what you want. For look left and right it might be called something like "Left View, Right View, Rear View". Map those to the analog how you see fit. To find the options menu it's to the left of the My Home page, or you can find it at the main menu where arcade GT TV, and the other stuff is located (select options).

Hanmik

Dreams-Visions said:
wow. that's the most simple-minded shit I've read yet.

When it comes to physics and realism, Forza has been a respected franchise since the very beginning. whether your simple ass can manage to deal with graphics that aren't PC-grade or not.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2005-03/race-against-reality

ha ha saw this post to that article:

Our kids adore these games and although I personally do not take issue. I have knowledge of some young people who actually believed they are skilled to drive on our roads. One instant, this young offender, killed a mother and her two children. All because he thought he could drive Now this is extreme, however quite possibly something parents should be mindful when permitting impressionable youths to play these games

Nafai1123

Banned
duk said:
we all know GT5 > Life
14doym1.jpg

Gowans

Ploid 3.0 said:
Go to options, select the controller, move through the button config. You can map whatever button you want with what you want. For look left and right it might be called something like "Left View, Right View, Rear View". Map those to the analog how you see fit. To find the options menu it's to the left of the My Home page, or you can find it at the main menu where arcade GT TV, and the other stuff is located (select options).
I'm sure the options didn't show last time but I'll try again.

SmokyDave

Gowans007 said:
It's definitely in there. Make sure the red dot is over the Right Analog stick (left or right side) and then choose 'Left / Right View' from the commands list, it's towards the bottom. It'll automatically fill in both sides of the stick as 'Left / Right View'. It's analogue as well so you can look a little or look a lot.

zoukka

SmokyDave said:
I love the fact that the most vocal critics of GT5 haven't played it.

What's the probability that GT defenders have played Forza?

Let me quickly re-cap the things that aren't there in GT5.

Good UI
Good damage
Good audio
Good challenge

Otherwise it's golden.

Ploid 3.0

Gowans007 said:

From my home there's a little gear symbol to the left called My Home Settings. Click on it and you'll see Options. From options press down then right and you'll be on button assignments. Go to the left side of the buttons list then all the way down. You'll stop on the right analog's right direction input. Select the N/A tab that you're onand press up one time. You'll be on Left/Right View. Click on it and you're pretty much done. You can go up 2 spots to stop on the down input and select rear view for it if you want.

---
I'm able to gaf and gt5 at the same time. B-spec, he's a noob right now, spinning out a bit but free credits. I know a lot of gaf probably won't touch this mode yet, but it's perfect for night when you're fighting sleep. Maintain the mental strength, and such as your AI try to win you races. Bark orders (not sure how well I'm doing on the orders yet. Still beginners class).

zoukka said:
Good UI
Good damage
Good audio
Good challenge

I love the UI

The Audio is crystal clean to me, for the car sounds I'm not to sensitive to the qualities or authenticity. I have a few cars, and use one right now.

Challenge, I really suck then. These challenges are killing me. And hanging with Gaf Nascar fest is intimidating. I'm still on A and B rank cups, both easy levels. Spend most of my time in the challenges, online, and license.

m0dus

Banned
I won't comment on the actual comparisons, because I haven't picked up my copy of gt yet. However, it has been amusing watching this thread evolve over the last 72 hours along almost almost exactly these lines:

luYOh.png

Seriously, they are games. if some of you do not lighten up, you will need counseling.

zoukka said:

Good UI
Good damage
Good audio
Good challenge

Otherwise it's golden.

The other points are definately arguable, and I'm sure other people will argue with you, but this last one is laughable!

SmokyDave

zoukka said:
Well, I'd say it was pretty damned high. The game's been out forever and until now, it was the best sim available on a console.

I certainly have, marvel at my level 50 driver: SmokiestDave.

Good UI - Subjective and I disagree.
Good damage - It's ok, nothing more, nothing less. Much like the damage in Forza.
Good audio - It's fine, if a little weedy through TV speakers. Sounds great on my 7.1.
Good challenge - Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Otherwise it's golden.
It sure is golden.

Mael

Just a silly question that will send people at my throat....

When in manual gear, there's still no control over the clutch pedal?

I mean I'm not arguing that all cars have one, but seriously if I'm chosing some cars that are supposedly depicted realisticly there should be the pedal that is in pretty much every car I can find here....

NinjaBoiX

RedRedSuit said:
I think if PD used some serious focus testing and had community managers and an official community presence, then a lot of the apparent problems would be eventually solved. The UI might be more streamlined, some obvious features (like looking around with the right stick) would be present, the online might be stronger, the game might be not be so impenetrably based on slow progression, etc.

I think the whole "closed off bubble + visionary auteur" thing has worked for them for years, but this is about where it should end and become something resembling a normal development studio.

It just seems like Kaz Yamauchi went, "This is what GT is," and then they closed themselves off from the outside world and went to work on that, and that was that. A lot has changed since then; there's a competitor around that saw that there was room for improvement there. Sure, GT is still a huge brand name, and it's still going to outsell everything, but they can do better. It can retain that GT "feel" that people love so much and yet stop being so clunky.
I agree wholeheartedly. I bought it, played a few hours then took it back to the shop for Forza 3 Ultimate. That horrible frontend, interminable loading, restrictive controller tweaking (seriously, no right stick freelook, and I can't engage reverse in manual without pressing a dedicated button?) Add in no custom soundtracks, tearing and a less than stable framerate, WTF PD? As it stands, slightly improved handling and car models aside, Forza 3 has it beat in every aspect.

-NinjaBoiX- said:
I agree wholeheartedly. I bought it, played a few hours then took it back to the shop for Forza 3 Ultimate. That horrible frontend, interminable loading, restrictive controller tweaking (seriously, no right stick freelook, and I can't engage reverse in manual without pressing a dedicated button?) Add in no custom soundtracks, tearing and a less than stable framerate, WTF PD? As it stands, slightly improved handling and car models aside, Forza 3 has it beat in every aspect.

Wait what theres no custom soundtracks?.

zoukka

SmokyDave said:
It sure is golden.

UI can be analyzed and broken down objectively. Liking the crazy loading times sure is subjective though... some people seem to not notice it, good for them. I have a decent sound system and the car audio is very much like in the previous games. Lawnmowerish. Subjective? Sure, whatever works for you. I would like the audio to blow my balls off when I get inside a supercar. Vacuum cleaner I already own...

And it's really good to hear there's challenge in the later parts of the game.

Domstercool

Loading is not a problem when you install, it really does speed it up (First day I just played and then let it install after I had a 2 hour sleep session :D) Forza also never had the fastest loading neither.

Lucius86

Banned
Domstercool said:
Loading is not a problem when you install, it really does speed it up (First day I just played and then let it install after I had a 2 hour sleep session :D) Forza also never had the fastest loading neither.

That it didn't - the loads in Forza 3 really pissed me off.

I'm surprised GAF allows threads like these - it really does hurt my brain reading some of these responses.

zoukka

Lucius86 said:

I'm surprised GAF allows threads like these - it really does hurt my brain reading some of these responses.

Keeps the shit off from the official threads. More or less.

NHale

Lucius86 said:

But it's fun to read. Console warriors fighting to the end. :lol

Kabouter

Domstercool said:
No kidding, goddamn Forza's load times annoyed me.

Domstercool said:

Also if you were online the first day it just made the loading even longer .
PD try to do to much and the poor PS3 could not take it still they thinking ahead which should be great for other GT games.

NinjaBoiX

SmokyDave said:
Yup, there is. There's free look on the right stick too.
My bad with the soundtrack thing, mustn't have looked hard enough. But how on earth do you map look to right stick. Also, is there a way to find neutral and reverse in manual?

Top Bottom