• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Gowans

-NinjaBoiX- said:
My bad with the soundtrack thing, mustn't have looked hard enough. But how on earth do you map look to right stick. Also, is there a way to find neutral and reverse in manual?
Itdaft you only get the option on left & right, that's how I missed it. No looking up n down.

Also no rotating round your lovley car too :(

test_account

XP-39C²
les papillons sexuels said:
Jeez turn 10, you've barely managed to do in 1.5 years what took PD 5...
Seeing that Forza 2 also excist for Xbox 360, i dont think that Forza 3 was made from scratch like GT5 was. If Turn10 managed to make Forza 3 from scratch in 1.5 years, then they are amazing developers and probably has a much bigger team than PD has :) We can always speculate how much time it would have taken to develope Forza 3 from scratch.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Brashnir said:
Hey man, cut him some slack. Real Life wasn't around back when Forza 3 came out. The only thing they could compare it to back in those days was Gran Turismo 4.
:lol :lol :lol

Brashnir

Kabouter said:
No kidding, goddamn Forza's load times annoyed me.

yeah, they were pretty brutal at times. A lot of it, I think, is just inherent in the genre. When you have a large list of tracks and events available to the player at any time, it's almost impossible to pre-cache much of the necessary data, so you have to load it all once the player makes their choice.

SmokyDave

Gowans007 said:
Itdaft you only get the option on left & right, that's how I missed it. No looking up n down.

Also no rotating round your lovley car too :(
Why is this disappointing?

Don't get me wrong, it is disappointing, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. I don't need to see the roof or floormats, at all, for any reason, yet after having the option in Forza and rFactor, I'm missing it here.

Why are we obsessed with floor mats?

test_account said:
Seeing that Forza 2 also excist for Xbox 360, i dont think that Forza 3 was made from scratch like GT5 was. If Turn10 managed to make Forza 3 from scratch in 1.5 years, then they are amazing developers and probably has a much bigger team than PD has :) We can always speculate how much time it would have taken to develope Forza 3 from scratch.
GT4 cars and tracks in GT5 say hello!

I'm interested in how much more GT5 cost to develop than Forza 3. Anyone have that information as the team for GT's are always pretty monstrous in size. It's not a fair comparison between the two unless you see some budgets. If they cost the same to make then I'd be shocked.

test_account

XP-39C²
ResidentDante said:
GT4 cars and tracks in GT5 say hello!
That is a good point, i didnt mean absolutely everything in GT5, i was mostly thinking about the whole graphical engine and physics engine etc. :) I dont think that Turn10 would be able to all this from scratch in 1.5 years (or maybe if they had a huge team of maybe 300-400 people?).

HocusPocus said:
I'm interested in how much more GT5 cost to develop than Forza 3. Anyone have that information as the team for GT's are always pretty monstrous in size. It's not a fair comparison between the two unless you see some budgets. If they cost the same to make then I'd be shocked.

GT5 cost around $60 million to make. No info on Forza. And GT team really isn't that big. Bizzare, the makers of PGR, have a bigger team. :lol

test_account said:
That is a good point, i didnt mean absolutely everything in GT5, i was mostly thinking about the whole graphical engine and physics engine etc. :) I dont think that Turn10 would be able to all this from scratch in 1.5 years (or maybe if they had a huge team of maybe 300-400 people?).

Why would they need to ?
PD is the studio using PS2 asset here for 80% of the cars and many tracks.
And the driving physics where great in FM3. They could use improvement sure, but no need to start them for scratch. They're not old gen.

Yoboman

Lagspike_exe said:
GT5 cost around $60 million to make. No info on Forza. And GT team really isn't that big. Bizzare, the makers of PGR, have a bigger team. :lol
Seriously? Why?

Why would they not just expand?

Forza 3 menu's would sometimes choke a bit if you ran without an install, most noticeable area was in the upgrades store, images of parts would load behind the speed you could select them, car picking was a little laggy too compared to running the game while installed which totally made the menus smooth as butter.

I think while installed forza race load times were dropped from around 45ish seconds to 25ish, still long but much better then from dvd directly.

Yoboman said:
Seriously? Why?

Why would they not just expand?

It's not that easy. You can't just hire the first professional you see from an area you need. If you want to keep up with high standards, you need to find people in line with those standards.

test_account

XP-39C²
LordPhoque said:
Why would they need to ?
PD is the studio using PS2 asset here for 80% of the cars and many tracks here.
And the driving physics where great in FM3. They could use improvement sure, but no need to start them for scratch. They're not old gen.
I have no idea if they litterally needed to do it, but that is what they did and that is probably why it took longer time to develope GT5 compared to how long it took to develope Forza 3 from Forza 2.

Forza 2 also excist for Xbox 360, so i think that Turn10 started on working on the physics engine that is used in Forza 3 already before Forza 2 out :) Of course the physics engine is improved in Forza 3 compared to Forza 2, but i dont think that they started on making a brand new physics engine for Forza 3 after Forza 2 was released.

EDIT: And i didnt mean to compare the physics engine etc. in GT5 to Forza 3 just to point that out. I just talked about the development time :)

EDIT 2: Did Turn10 start Forza 2 from scratch by the way? Since Forza 1 was on Xbox 1, did they build further on that or did they start from scratch from Forza 2 since it was on a new console (Xbox 360)?

Put a few more hours into GT5 tonight. Did the whole B-License on gold, and a few races/championships.

Impressions/thoughts are improving over time. Hands down, the handling/physics/feedback is sensational - and really makes you itch for the extra few tenths to get a gold or better lap time. That being said, the sense of speed (while a huge improvement over previous GT's) lacks in some cars... particularly AWD cars. RWD cars in contrast, at high speed at least, feel scary and unpredictable - like they should.

My negative thoughts remain much the same however. While a lot of the car models are damn good, and the lighting is very, very nice... The experience falters when I see the ridiculous crowds, tirewalls, grass textures and trees... but I'm sure I'll get over it, with time.

NinjaBoiX

SmokyDave said:
Why is this disappointing?

Don't get me wrong, it is disappointing, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. I don't need to see the roof or floormats, at all, for any reason, yet after having the option in Forza and rFactor, I'm missing it here.

Why are we obsessed with floor mats?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't prologue allow this? Also, what is the deal with no neutral and reverse in manual? Surely every sim should have this. All the other GT's did right?

SmokyDave

shinnn said:
Metacritic

FM2: 90
GT5: 86
GT1: 96
GT3: 95

Looks like we need to go back to playing GT1. It must be the best, Metacritic said so.

-NinjaBoiX- said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't prologue allow this? Also, what is the deal with no neutral and reverse in manual? Surely every sim should have this. All the other GT's did right?
Can't remember, to be honest. It might have done.

As for Neutral & Reverse, again, I've no idea, they're the only two gears I don't need ;)

Brashnir

shinnn said:
Metacritic

FM2: 90

142eln9.gif

test_account said:
No, I guess not. Still 5 years is a long time compared to other racing games.

SmokyDave said:

Looks like we need to go back to playing GT1. It must be the best, Metacritic said so.
Actually GT1 is, relatively speaking. It was truly groundbreaking at the time for consoles. I'm amazed that GT3 got such a high score, I remember getting it and loving it when everybody was whining there were to few cars compared to GT2. However it only got delayed to a year after PS2 launch and the graphics were mindblowing compared to the competition on the platform.

-NinjaBoiX- said:

GT5 does have neutral and reverse using the stick but I couldn't find reverse on the paddles either.

shinnn said:
It's weird, because the perfect game turn into the worst GT game ever made (besides PSP) :lol

If true (and I'm humouring you here) then that doesn't prevent it from being a fuckload better than Forza 2 does it?

Come on, you can do better than that.

shinnn

SmokyDave said:

;)
absolutely... GT before GT4 = good times

GT: 96
GT2: 93

rip.
GT4: 89
GT PSP: 74

test_account

XP-39C²
ResidentDante said:
No, I guess not. Still 5 years is a long time compared to other racing games.
5 years is a long time indeed. I wonder how long it will take an other developer to develope GT5 though, if they would have used much shorter time, the same time that PD used or if they would even use more time.

shinnn said:

rip.
FM3: 92

Meaning that GT1 is a much better game than FM3? =)

mil6es

shinnn said:

rip.

shinnn said it here first folks, get rid of all your current Gt's and forza's because with had the best Console sim for about 10+ years now, silly us.......

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Heh, that's weird. Especially since Forza 2 is worse than GT5.
Especially considering FM2 did not age well at all, and is amazingly shitty compared to Forza 3. At the time it was the greatest thing ever. GAF's obsession with FM2 is nonsense. FM3 does everything better, and much better at that.

NinjaBoiX

The worst part is the game is so close to being great. On the track, it's still untouchable, but the performance deficiencies and cobbled together menu is a real deal breaker for me. They crafted a load of top notch content, but let themselves down by not putting it together properly. A little more polish wouldn't hurt either. He should've delayed it some more!:lol

mil6es

enzo_gt said:
Especially considering FM2 did not age well at all, and is amazingly shitty compared to Forza 3. At the time it was the greatest thing ever. GAF's obsession with FM2 is nonsense. FM3 does everything better, and much better at that.

now you really are crazy

F2>>>>>F3

shinnn

test_account said:
FM3: 92

Meaning that GT1 is a much better game than FM3? =)
in 1998 GT1 was much better than FM3 in 2009... no doubts about that!

it's all about competition. Shame PD can't deal with it.

shinnn said:

If producing a better game than your competitor means not dealing with it, then we should all aspire to not dealing with things.

test_account

XP-39C²
shinnn said:

It has a lot to do with expectations. When GT1 came out, i dont think that people had that much expectation to it. But now with GT5, some people had very high expectation for the game, and that probably affected some of the review scores.

shinnn

test_account said:
It has a lot to do with expectations. When GT1 came out, i dont think that people had that much expectation to it. But now with GT5, some people had very high expectation for the game, and that probably affected some of the review scores.
GT expectation affected some Forza reviews too.. 90% of FM2/FM3 reviews started with "The Gran Turismo franchise".. and ended up with "it's the best racing game this generation..................... so far!! the king is returning!!!"

LyR

Banned
test_account said:

Gran Turismo 4 – 6/18/04
Forza 1 – 5/3/05
Forza 2 – 8/19/07
Forza 3 – 10/27/09
Gran Turismo 5 – 11/24/10

(I don't feel like adding GT PSP and prologue, half assed games don't count ... and GT5 is a finished GT5Prologue)

shinnn said:
GT expectation affected some Forza reviews too.. 90% of FM2/FM3 reviews started with "The Gran Turismo franchise".. and ended up with "it's the best racing game this generation..................... so far!! the king is returning!!!"

That's a faith of every franchise aiming to take down another one. Killzone suffers from the same faith. New MoH as well.

test_account said:

It has everything to do with expectations. For contemporary example, why do you think Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is garnering 10's? It's because everybody expected it to be a shitty add on and it actually seems a very decent improvement but without doing anything drastically different and it was done in under a year.

Same with the Forza series to an extent. It is the largely seen as the underdog and as such there are lower expectations surrounding the franchise (or at least there was previously) and the fact that they put out 2 very good and very polished games probably stunned a lot of games journos and it earned very, very high scores in across the board because of the extent to which it surpassed expectations of the franchise.

GT5 would've had to have (hyperbole warning:) walked on water to get the same same review scores across the board as Forza did. It's still garnered excellent reviews from some quarters, and indeed from a large majority of those who bought the game. It was never going to get high reviews from the likes of IGN though, who seemingly rate pretty menus as equally important to a driving game as having a stunning, feature rich and currently unmatched driving component.

shinnn said:

rip.
PD just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about racing game culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it....

PD, kiss your GT business goodbye.

shinnn said:

Yeah, I know what you mean, I am still waiting for T10 to add rally to Forza, but it´s such a shame T10 can´t deal with competition. I guess they are just not up for the task, what do you think?

Dumb post requires dumb answer.

SmokyDave

LyR said:
(I don't feel like adding GT PSP and prologue, half assed games don't count ... and GT5 is a finished GT5Prologue)
Name a better portable racing sim than GT PSP.

Of course, given that your post was predicated on ignoring the work the Polyphony put into GT5: P (it didn't update itself to Spec 3, they had to do it) and completely ignoring the existence of Tourist Trophy, I don't know why I'm bothering.

Not to mention that they were busy designing the multi-function display unit in the Nissan GTR and creating a concept car for Citroen. Because, y'know, they're the best in the business.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
It has everything to do with expectations. For contemporary example, why do you think Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is garnering 10's? It's because everybody expected it to be a shitty add on and it actually seems a very decent improvement but without doing anything drastically different and it was done in under a year.

Same with the Forza series to an extent. It is the largely seen as the underdog and as such there are lower expectations surrounding the franchise (or at least there was previously) and the fact that they put out 2 very good and very polished games probably stunned a lot of games journos and it earned very, very high scores in across the board because of the extent to which it surpassed expectations of the franchise.

GT5 would've had to have (hyperbole warning:) walked on water to get the same same review scores across the board as Forza did. It's still garnered excellent reviews from some quarters, and indeed from a large majority of those who bought the game. It was never going to get high reviews from the likes of IGN though, who seemingly rate pretty menus as equally important to a driving game as having a stunning, feature rich and currently unmatched driving component.

I think you're rationalizing GTs lower scores. If anything history has shown marque franchise get inflated scores. Everyone uses GTA4 as a prime example of this.

test_account

XP-39C²
shinnn said:
That might very well be indeed, but i think that the expectations for FM2/FM3 were lower compared to the GT5 expectations because 1) FM2/FM3 werent made by PD, and 2) the games hadnt been in development for 5-6 years.

LyR said:
Gran Turismo 4 – 6/18/04
Forza 1 – 5/3/05
Forza 2 – 8/19/07
Forza 3 – 10/27/09
Gran Turismo 5 – 11/24/10

So if Turn10 should have made Forza 3 from scratch, they would have used about 4 years? (from Forza 1 release date to Forza 3 release date).

By the way, i wonder what would happend if PD called GT5: Prologue for the final GT5, and called GT5 for GT6 instead :)

LabouredSubterfuge said:

Yep, good points :) From the few GT5 reviews i have read, no one says that GT5 is a horrible game, but that they expected it to be more due to the lengthy development time. So if the expectations for GT5 was much lower, i guess that the review scores would have been higher indeed.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Can't we all agree that it's fucking good, hell even great that these two teams are going at it like his?

That being said of course GT 5 should sell extremely well, but I hope that more and more people start recognizing the amount of blood sweat and tears put into the creation of Forza Motorsport 3, I want FM 4 and want it to sell well. T10 has put in one hell of an effort to go against the GT series and would hate seeing the franchise fall appart due to poor support. They should have earned peoples respect by now considering their three exceptional releases so far.

If some of the diehard GT fans haven't tried it and have a 360 go pickup Forza Motorsport 3: Ultimate edition for $30 measly dollars. You will get another masterpiece worthy of any racing sim fans attention.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Slayer-33 said:
Can't we all agree that it's fucking good, hell even great that these two teams are going at it like this?
That's what I've been saying all along... the fact that these two games are so close is awesome. The hyperbole thrown against GT5 (OMG PS2 cars!) is unjustified. Slamming Forza 3 (OMG cartoon graphix!) is unjustified. There's no "king", there's no "light year distance" between the two. Both are doing their own thing.

Taking the fanboy goggles off and looking beyond GAF and one's own console affiliation (I know it's hard), the reality is this is the consensus of the whole gaming community right now.

I say game on!

shinnn

painful fart said:
Yeah, I know what you mean, I am still waiting for T10 to add rally to Forza, but it´s such a shame T10 can´t deal with competition. I guess they are just not up for the task, what do you think?

Dumb post requires dumb answer.
Deal with competition includes making the right choices. GT isn't about rally. GT is about cars.

Adding rally to Forza in a hurried way like GT5 did with damage could be a mistake. Same for time cycle and weather. At least we don't need to wait 5 years to see their choices.

also:

Turn10 Rally driving experience

XitNq.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
RSTEIN said:
I know you're being facetious but I would agree with this.
I guess it depends on how "better" is being defined :) Sometimes classic games can be better (as in "more enjoyable") compared to newer games, at least i feel like this with several of games (generally speaking about games, i havnt really tried GT1 or FM3) :)

SmokyDave

Slayer-33 said:
Can't we all agree that it's fucking good, hell even great that these two teams are going at it like his?
Completely agreed.

If some of the diehard GT fans haven't tried it and have a 360 go pickup Forza Motorsport 3: Ultimate edition for $30 measly dollars. You will get another masterpiece worthy of any racing sim fans attention.
Also, completely agreed. I can't imagine why anyone with access to both platforms, that loved sim racing, would limit themselves to one or the other. It's fun to squabble over which one is 'best', but the fact is, they're the two best console sims available.

Top Bottom