• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

SmokyDave

zoukka said:
Or the bit where we hold photomode images as the standard of racing game visuals?
He was commenting on the quality of the models, not swearing an oath that the graphics look like that in-game. Photo modes always look better, it's just that none have ever looked this good before.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I like how all of your posts come from a position of knowledge and experience. I tip my hat to you Mr. shinn.
Hey, you don't need knowledge and experience when you have emotion!

GT5 has been 'beated'. How we live with ourselves in this brave new world, no-one knows.

Chinner

Banned
does gt5/forza 3 have:
green shells
dinosaurs driving vehicles
monkeys driving vehicles
wicked jumps
realistic drifting
happy stuff (visuals/music will make you happy)
fun gameplay
minorities

shinnn

Metalmurphy said:
But why would u call it rushed when it was in previous GTs already?...

And Forza beating GT is pretty relative. To each his own. Sales will also prove otherwise dispite the bigger 360 database
when I said the rally in GT was rushed? I'm talking about the damage system in GT5.

Yeap, Forza beat GT in quality, and GT beat Forza in sales. No doubt about that too. GT5:p proves that overall quality doesn't matter for GT consumers.

Insertia

2dum895.jpg

Check out the framerate.
Do you guys think Forza 3's better performance can be linked to it's inferior graphics? :lol

Some standard cars in GT5 look as good as average Forza 3 models in game.

SmokyDave said:
He was commenting on the quality of the models, not swearing an oath that the graphics look like that in-game. Photo modes always look better, it's just that none have ever looked this good before.

Hey, you don't need knowledge and experience when you have emotion!

GT5 has been 'beated'. How we live with ourselves in this brave new world, no-one knows.

Ive never understood photomode shots being used by people with any game to show the games look. They are all full of shit doesnt matter what game they come from.

SmokyDave

supermackem said:
Ive never understood photomode shots being used by people with any game to show the games look. They are all full of shit doesnt matter what game they come from.
I'm not sure if that is the case with GT5 though. The photomode in GT5 is approaching photo-realism with a decent cameraman, I doubt anyone could sincerely believe that they're in game.

It isn't a tool to one-up other people on the internet, it's there for car lovers to share their passion with each other. That people are using to try and one-up each other (unless they were specifically boasting about the quality of photo-mode) is probably making poor Kaz cry :(

shinnn said:
when I said the rally in GT was rushed? I'm talking about the damage system in GT5.

Yeap, Forza beat GT in quality, and GT beat Forza in sales. No doubt about that too. GT5:p proves that overall quality don't matter for GT consumers.

Or... They actually find GT to be fun and filled with content, and as such the better game. Ever thought of that? Driving in GT5 > Driving in Forza 3. Stop looking at individual factors and look at the whole fucking package.

Forza 3 has better IQ, no tearing.
GT5 has better graphics, physics, content.
Forza 3 has a robust livery editor.
GT5 has weather and time transitions.
etc.

Like I said, to each is own.

skybaby

Things I learned from coming back to this thread
a) better AI needs to be unlocked in GT5 (just like damage wtf)
b) Standard cars in gt5 don't look as good as the cars lifted from forza2 to forza3 (remember guys, 360 ->360 and ps2 -> ps3)
c) Anyone who gets as aggravated as some of you do because someone doesn't like "your" game has to have a few screws loose in the head.

zoukka

Metalmurphy said:

At some point someone always comes up with these "let's all hug and love" posts. They add nothing to the conversation though and don't actually even belong to a comparison thread.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I do wonder though, all this talk about new standards and other developers crying...

Sorry but, suddenly what matters is the Photo Mode feature of a game? Isn't that sort of pathetic? That the photo mode is the big thing?

Because they don't actually reflect the level of quality you get in gameplay, for starters....

zoukka said:
At some point someone always comes up with these "let's all hug and love" posts. They add nothing to the conversation though and don't actually even belong to a comparison thread.

And they are just hot air. Borderline passive aggressive, specially when you come of a "Here's what i think!!!!!!!!...but to each his own"

shinnn said:
yes..

T10 prioritized adding the best livery editor ever.
PD adding the average rally driving ever.

"PD adding the average rally driving ever."
Don´t really know what to answer that one, your posts are just not connected to reality.

I guess car simulators is just not your thing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Chinner said:
does gt5/forza 3 have:
green shells
dinosaurs driving vehicles
monkeys driving vehicles
wicked jumps
realistic drifting
happy stuff (visuals/music will make you happy)
fun gameplay
minorities
Mario Kart, like Richard Burns Rally mentioned above, has also been used on a Force Dynamics rig. It must be superior, Chinner wins!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBVOnT36Qw4

painful fart said:
"PD adding the average rally driving ever."
Don´t really know what to answer that one, your posts are just not connected to reality.

I guess car simulators is just not your thing.
Or his standards for rally sims are higher. You really should check out RBR. Especially if you have a higher-end wheel setup.

Insertia said:
Check out the framerate.
Do you guys think Forza 3's better performance can be linked to it's inferior graphics? :lol

Some standard cars in GT5 look as good as average Forza 3 models in game.

Clearly, the low framerate is directly related to the superior physics system of GT5. Also, mortal eyes can't really comprehend the genius of GT5 graphics, nor can standard electronics. This test is obviously flawed.

tzare

Diablohead said:
Oh hey I can play that game too.

Forza 3 has:

Equal detail across all tracks, not a mix of last gen visuals.
Custom FOV degrees for cockpit view via screen settings
Up to 5 screen multi-screen, even the ability to use one screen as a rear view mirror!
Deep customization for tuning and visuals
Online marketplace to sell user made liveries and vinyls
Auction house to sell tuned vehicles
Online photomode gallery
Matchmaking with trueskill rank
Real time tire flex
All 500+ cars can roll over, smash up and lose bumpers, wing mirrors ect
All 500+ cars hack a cockpit
Higher res real time shadows

:eek:

I like forza 3 quite a bit, and still waiting for GT5 to be delivered, but man, tracks are not 'that' detailed. They look good but nothing overwhelming. Reminds me of SEGA's coloured arcade style which i love, but even a year and half ago, Suzuka looked way better in GTPrologue. besides, all that online marketplace, auctioning is like GT5's RPG style. Some people like it,some hate it. I just do not like it, as i do not like GT series slow progress either. Hopefully a patch will allow GT5 progress to be easier and quicker.

And damage, and rolling over , may be interesiting in nascar, whcih F3 does not have, but i have always seen racing as trying to avoid collisions, and hardly see semi-destroyed cars wining races.

LyR said:
Gran Turismo 4 – 6/18/04
Forza 1 – 5/3/05
Forza 2 – 8/19/07
Forza 3 – 10/27/09
Gran Turismo 5 – 11/24/10

(I don't feel like adding GT PSP and prologue, half assed games don't count ... and GT5 is a finished GT5Prologue)

It's not that they compiled GT4 in a PSP in a couple of hours. At least they should have been working during a year in GT PSP, also converting the assets because PSP don't reach the level of PS2. And all this work is not a half asset of GT5, because they had to lower the GT4 car level to fit in the PSP, not the reverse.

Also, Forza team was over 300... without counting external contracted (probably testers). PD are 110 people. A third part.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
tzare said:
And damage, and rolling over , may be interesiting in nascar, whcih F3 does not have, but i have always seen racing as trying to avoid collisions, and hardly see semi-destroyed cars wining races.
Noone wants damage modeled properly so that they can win in a busted up car, they want proper damage modeling so if another car buys it, they're properly out of the race. Yeah, they may end up taking someone else in the process, but that's racing. We all want a realistic sim, right?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
One thing I've noticed about the look is it's really clean in GT5. I play in 720p and everything looks sharp. The lighting is what makes the bigger difference in these games.

tzare

XiaNaphryz said:
Noone wants damage modeled properly so that they can win in a busted up car, they want proper damage modeling so if another car buys it, they're properly out of the race. Yeah, they may end up taking someone else in the process, but that's racing. We all want a realistic sim, right?

yup, but you can do it in other ways, damage is not necessary (visually). It is a nice/cool feature, but it is accessory.I see many things in both games that should go first: framerate/tearing in GT5, few cars in Forza and some of them that should be fixed before going further.

zoukka said:
Well the rally in GT has always been something very bizarre. Not realistic at all. And without proper damage, it loses the atmosphere and tension of the best rally games.

Completely disagree. I played a couple courses in Arcade in the snow and it was awesome. I also owned DiRT 2.

shinnn

Metalmurphy said:
Or... They actually find GT to be fun and filled with content, and as such the better game. Ever thought of that? Driving in GT5 > Driving in Forza 3. Stop looking at individual factors and look at the whole fucking package.

Forza 3 has better IQ, no tearing.
GT5 has better graphics, physics, content.
Forza 3 has a robust livery editor.
GT5 has weather and time transitions.
etc.

ok.. it's already a goal for you guys

z4cQM.png

bj00rn_

Banned
Insertia said:
:lol
Developers really have their work cut out for them. I look forward to seeing how they will adapt. Polyphony set a new standard besides standard cars.

Laughing faces and random words? Who are "they" and what is funny about them and what they supposedly have to do? I don't get it. Maybe it made more sense inside your head.

Edit: Wait, you're already on my ignore list, how the hell did I see your post. oh well..

shinnn

Metalmurphy said:
Yes, I'm organizing an Online League. Wanna join?

"you guys" :lol
I don't think so.. I'll not play that much.. maybe a rent. Or a used copy, since you need time unlocking things to be a decent game.. nah

mil6es

shinnn said:
I don't think so.. I'll not play that much.. maybe a rent. Or a used copy, since you need time unlocking things to be a decent game.. nah

I suggest you leave it be then, not a game for you, thats been established like 10 pages back....

this thread is epic in its idiocy

Trickster

Metalmurphy said:
Matchmaking with trueskill rank That's not a good thing

Could I ask you, or anyone else really, why that would be a bad thing? I'd imagine that to be a good thing, creating closer, more intense races and such.

shinnn said:

We already know that you're just here for the trolling, it's ok.

watership

Insertia said:
GT5 shows the time and money poured into the game very well.
I think GT5 has more tearing and brief frame drops compared to Forza 3 because it looks a lot better. I think, can't say for sure.

I do not think tearing and frame drops is going to be given a pass just because GT5 looks better (premium). It's still tearing and drops. GT5 is very inconstant, graphically. Time and money poured into some of GT5.

watership said:
I do not think tearing and frame drops is going to be given a pass just because GT5 looks better (premium). It's still tearing and drops. GT5 is very inconstant, graphically. Time and money poured into some of GT5.

There's a patch announced that should ease up the framerate drops, which should reduce tearing.

Insertia said:
GT5 makes Forza 3 and Shift feel like a unevolved last gen titles. GT5 really destroys everything in it's path. I tried Nascar and WRC for the first time. :O
I think it's partially because GT5 has much better graphics and this video explains the other half:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ndCohR7ovE

How do I get to play the game looking like this? Granted my experience with wet weather in GT5 is limited... but when I chose a premium car in cockpit view, racing with rain... it was a PSOne style mess. I'd love to be able to play the game looking like that.

Insertia said:
:lol
Developers really have their work cut out for them. I look forward to seeing how they will adapt. Polyphony set a new standard besides standard cars.

You're right... they have set new standards. From now on - all racing game developers should strive to have 20% of their models/assets looking photo-realistic... the other 80% can be ported from previous games/generations as filler. Nice standard :lol

SmokyDave

Stripper13 said:
How do I get to play the game looking like this? Granted my experience with wet weather in GT5 is limited... but when I chose a premium car in cockpit view, racing with rain... it was a PSOne style mess. I'd love to be able to play the game looking like that.
Huh? It shouldn't look anywhere near that bad, are you sure it isn't your TV?

You're right... they have set new standards. From now on - all racing game developers should strive to have 20% of their models/assets looking photo-realistic... the other 80% can be ported from previous games/generations as filler. Nice standard :lol
Oh, I see. Yeah, it's a PSOne style mess. lol, and all that.

mil6es

Trickster said:
Could I ask you, or anyone else really, why that would be a bad thing? I'd imagine that to be a good thing, creating closer, more intense races and such.

Well look what matchmaking did to Forza 3 multiplayer then you will see why its such a bad thing:lol

less than 2000 players on the weekend :lol thats baaaaad, especially compared to how much people played F2 multiplayer when it had its old lobby system

Trickster

mil6es said:
Well look what matchmaking did to Forza 3 multiplayer then you will see why its such a bad thing:lol

less than 2000 players on the weekend :lol thats baaaaad, especially compared to how much people played F2 multiplayer when it had its old lobby system

Oh, I thought he was talking about trueskill being a bad thing, nvm then.

SmokyDave said:
Huh? It shouldn't look anywhere near that bad, are you sure it isn't your TV?

Oh, I see. Yeah, it's a PSOne style mess. lol, and all that.

It's not my TV. For your information - I used an 07 Mustang with Red Paint on High Speed Ring in the rain. It was fucking awful. Worst of all - it wasn't a glitch - I can repeat it over and over. I don't know if it's just the car, the track, shadows maybe?, or maybe a combination of everything - but it looks like it belongs in a PS1 game... everything else in that scenario looked fine (same car/track etc in fine weather looked awesome), but something is seriously fucked up with the rain. I haven't checked it again since the patch though
*Runs to check*

Edit: Yep just checked again... it's atrocious. Everything else in that scenario looks fine, the other views are still awesome, and the weather/lighting/cars etc look amazing as a whole... but the rain effect on the windshield is beyond a joke.

Top Bottom