• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

I only played Forza3 for a couple of nights at a friends house. Maybe 6 hours total.

I'm now up to level 8 on GT5.

Having never really played earlier versions of either game, I have no allegiance.

The actual driving feels better to me in GT5. (used racing wheel for both) And the graphics seem better to me in GT5. Unlike Forza3, with GT5 I have these moments where it just feels real. I'm sure it's the lighting, which seems, as someone else put it, cartoonish in Forza3.

But after spending some time with GT5, I'm starting to hate some things about the menu system. It looks really good to me, but I have to keep going back and forth to get things set up the way I want them.

I hate trying to enter a race that requires a particular car, then having to go back a few menus, find my garage, try to remember the make and model of the car, hope I'm right, buy it, choose it, navigate back to the race...and hope I can start racing. Maybe I'm missing something. Is their an easier way to do this?

Plus, no restart option at the end of a race? WTH?!?! More menu madness.

Overall though, it's those moments that create a real racing "suspension of disbelief" that make me prefer GT5.

Insertia

Stripper13 said:
It's not my TV. For your information - I used an 07 Mustang with Red Paint on High Speed Ring in the rain. It was fucking awful. Worst of all - it wasn't a glitch - I can repeat it over and over. I don't know if it's just the car, the track, shadows maybe?, or maybe a combination of everything - but it looks like it belongs in a PS1 game... everything else in that scenario looked fine (same car/track etc in fine weather looked awesome), but something is seriously fucked up with the rain. I haven't checked it again since the patch though
*Runs to check*

Do you really expect anyone to believe you? :lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
learnedhand said:
I hate trying to enter a race that requires a particular car, then having to go back a few menus, find my garage, try to remember the make and model of the car, hope I'm right, buy it, choose it, navigate back to the race...and hope I can start racing. Maybe I'm missing something. Is their an easier way to do this?
There is actually. When you select an event, there is a Garage button on the far right hand side. No need to back out! :)

Do you really expect anyone to believe you?

"Who are you going to believe...me, or your lyin' eyes?"

tengiants

Forza 3 is nothing but a joke in terms of wheel support therefore it's nothing but a joke of a sim. People claiming it to be the 'sim' of the generation have no idea of what a sim is and their opinions should be ignored just like they were as children.

I wish GT5 had some competition on the consoles. Sorry Forza fanboys, the closest thing that compares is Shift on PS3, and some comparison that is.

adelante

Metalmurphy said:
But why would u call it rushed when it was in previous GTs already?...

And Forza beating GT is pretty relative. To each his own. Sales will also prove otherwise dispite the bigger 360 database
You mean userbase. And bringing up sales was a moot point to begin with since one of them has always been a far more established franchise (it's akin to putting Killzone's sales against Halo's)

chubigans said:
There is actually. When you select an event, there is a Garage button on the far right hand side. No need to back out! :)

Thank you for your help. But what if you don't own the car yet? I'd really like to be able to get directly to the dealerships from the race menu without having to go back and forth.

cbox

HhITM.jpg

shinnn

mil6es said:
I suggest you leave it be then, not a game for you, thats been established like 10 pages back....
Just because it's not more the racing king doesn't mean that I will never play it. :D

mil6es said:
this thread is epic in its idiocy
I agree. Look at the top posters to see who more contribute to this madness. Most of them already banned or taking a break after the GT5 meltdown.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
learnedhand said:
Thank you for your help. But what if you don't own the car yet? I'd really like to be able to get directly to the dealerships from the race menu without having to go back and forth.
Ah, then yeah, no easy way to do that. :(

eternal prize said:
:lol :lol

adelante

tengiants said:
Forza 3 is nothing but a joke in terms of wheel support therefore it's nothing but a joke of a sim. People claiming it to be the 'sim' of the generation have no idea of what a sim is and their opinions should be ignored just like they were as children.

I wish GT5 had some competition on the consoles. Sorry Forza fanboys, the closest thing that compares is Shift on PS3, and some comparison that is.
Makes me wonder....is there anybody else among all you GT fans here that share the same belief as this dude, that Shift is the closest competitor to GT than Forza?? :D

tengiants said:

Can't beat em on software? Move to hardware!

LCfiner

tengiants said:

I don’t know. it works with the best consumer pedals on the market - the fanatec clubsports and it works with the lovely fanatec turbo s wheel, as well.

driving with those, it feels quite lively.

Insertia said:
Do you really expect anyone to believe you? :lol

Are you fucking serious? I have zero reason to lie about it. The rain effects in the scenario I listed are reproduced each and every time I have tried. Believe me - I want the game to look like some of the videos that have been posted - especially the wet weather ones. Granted I have only tried the Mustang on High Speed Ring in wet weather (I'm hoping it is an isolated incident given I spent $80 AUD on the game), but my impression of the wet weather effects thus far are negative - and in no way lies.

mil6es

tengiants said:

isnt that more M$'s fault due to there closed peripherals policy?

Zaptruder

Banned
chubigans said:

From what I can tell, it's not there consistently.

There are a lot of atrocious design decisions in the GT5 UI that hampers the overall game experience unfortunately.

I mean fucking loading. Really? After spending 2 hours installing the game... there's still enough loading to choke a birch up in here.

But that's not my complaint; my complaint is the use of black screens and a single bar with no response for loading. Forza 3 doesn't miss a beat here; it gives you stuff to look at and read.

Simple, but decent. Ideally it'd go the next step and embed a 8 bit driving game into the loading screen like with Ridge Racer... or SOMETHING. Museum text? Track text? Info about who you're racing? A combination of all that?

Also disappointing is the lack of consistency in GT franchise presentation... GTPSP has voiced intros to license tests and events... but GT5 doesn't? Why not?

Also while I'm glad to see a return of the flavour text for vehicles... you know what would be nicer? Having that stuff read to you, while you test drive the car.

The biggest frustration I have with GT5 is simply as good as it is... I constantly see opportunities for it to be better... and I mean in simple ways; issues that could be rectified by the correct design decisions.

tengiants

Ogrekiller said:
Can't beat em on software? Move to hardware!

I never said Forza 3 didn't look better. It might. I will never know and I don't care because I play graphically superior sims on my PC regularly.

The point is: there is no comparision. GT5 wins for console sims hands down. The term 'sim' is short for 'simulator'. For a simulator you will want the most true to life input method possible. In a perfect world free of ignorance, limiting people to a dpad for input for merely profit sake should result in a failure of a 'simulator' because nobody can play it properly. Forza should be an absolute failure until they move the property to a console with less shady business practices (or microsoft should open up 3rd party wheel support).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Zaptruder said:
Simple, but decent. Ideally it'd go the next step and embed a 8 bit driving game into the loading screen like with Ridge Racer... or SOMETHING. Museum text? Track text? Info about who you're racing? A combination of all that?
Well, it does have info on who you're racing.

Zaptruder said:
Also disappointing is the lack of consistency in GT franchise presentation... GTPSP has voiced intros to license tests and events... but GT5 doesn't? Why not?
It does. Just like GTPSP, you have to select Example in GT5 to get the voice over replay.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Zaptruder said:
From what I can tell, it's not there consistently.

There are a lot of atrocious design decisions in the GT5 UI that hampers the overall game experience unfortunately.

I mean fucking loading. Really? After spending 2 hours installing the game... there's still enough loading to choke a birch up in here.

But that's not my complaint; my complaint is the use of black screens and a single bar with no response for loading. Forza 3 doesn't miss a beat here; it gives you stuff to look at and read.

Also while I'm glad to see a return of the flavour text for vehicles... you know what would be nicer? Having that stuff read to you, while you test drive the car.

The biggest frustration I have with GT5 is simply as good as it is... I constantly see opportunities for it to be better... and I mean in simple ways; issues that could be rectified by the correct design decisions.

Or more like, let's look for any flaws or things that do not please me. Aesthetically it's fine, everything else is opinion based.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
mil6es said:
isnt that more M$'s fault due to there closed peripherals policy?
I thought as long as a peripheral supports their API for peripherals (meaning licensing fee, I'm assuming), companies are okay to release stuff. Look at the Fanatec 911 TS wheel, which supports 360/PS3/PC.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Everyone is complaining about the menu's in GT5 :/
I must be one of t he few who loves it.

I do know what people mean by sometimes some things are not there, its due to the online connectivity part (like friends list and shit)

saladine1

So when will we see Forza Motorsport 4?
Honestly, I've been playing GT5 for days now and while I've sort of enjoyed it so far, I must admit, everytime I want to customize the car whether it be visual or upgrades, I glance towards the Xbox and FM3 and think.."Should I..?".
Everytime I fuck up in a race I instinctly start pressing the select button for some rewind loving only to find my view change.
Everytime I navigate a screen I think " Do I have time to make a cuppa..?"
Everytime I want to buy a new or used car I tend to find one with the best sounds to begin with because I don't want to hear a hoover for the next round of races.
etc....etc....

It certainly has been a disappointment thus far and I honestly wish it wasn't. GT is the reason I fell in love with racers and has been my favourite franchise for a long time until Forza Motorsport came along. I feel for PD having worked so long and hard on the game only to have it fall short of expectations for many.

Anyway, the PS3 will be packed up and stored away shortly so I can start on a new career for the 3rd time in FM3.
I hope we get to see and hear some new info regarding FM4 very soon.

Is there anyway to upload replays/videos from GT5 onto youtube or the like?

Or am I going to have to find a capture card, or take off-screen video?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
g35twinturbo said:
Everyone is complaining about the menu's in GT5 :/
I must be one of t he few who loves it.

I do know what people mean by sometimes some things are not there, its due to the online connectivity part (like friends list and shit)
The freezes and stuff like that partly connected to the "always on" nature of the game. The menus and UI are gorgeous. As solidsnake said, it's designed for longtime fans. And that certainly isn't the minority here. Some even hate the music and that is all class.

cbox

saladine1 said:
Honestly, I've been playing GT5 for days now and while I've sort of enjoyed it so far, I must admit, everytime I want to customize the car whether it be visual or upgrades, I glance towards the Xbox and FM3 and think.."Should I..?".
Everytime I fuck up in a race I instinctly start pressing the select button for some rewind loving only to find my view change.
Everytime I want to buy a new or used car I tend to find one with the best sounds to begin with because I don't want to hear a hoover for the next round of races.
etc....etc....

It certainly has been a disappointment thus far and I honestly wish it wasn't. GT is the reason I fell in love with racers and has been my favourite franchise for a long time until Forza Motorsport came along. I feel for PD having worked so long and hard on the game only to have it fall short of expectations for many.

Anyway, the PS3 will be packed up and stored away shortly so I can start on a new career for the 3rd time in FM3.

I feel the same way. The only reason I love racers is because I played gran turismo at zellers as a kid and fell in love, begged my parents to get me one. I bought a ps3 for this game, and so far I'm not satisfied. What really sucks is that my 360 stopped reading discs so I can't even play f3 unless I get a new 360. GOnna be one expensive visa bill...

Not to mention the online mode is starting to piss me off, but I think that's a general sony complaint. Live is just so much better for inviting friends and chatting with them :lol

GlamFM

Banned
saladine1 said:
etc....etc....

This.

LCfiner

LiquidMetal14 said:
The freezes and stuff like that partly connected to the "always on" nature of the game. The menus and UI are gorgeous. As solidsnake said, it's designed for longtime fans. And that certainly isn't the minority here. Some even hate the music and that is all class.

the design of the menus is pretty much garbage, dude. too many clicks to add new car upgrades. too many clicks to go back and forth between race events and the menus. the two dimensional spread of menus in gtlife is awful.

inconsistent use of the circle button. ugly pop-up menus with nested menus within it when selecting cars in the garage.

getting a new car delivered takes way too long to accept the car and then move on.

it’s not good. we can deal with it and accept it and enjoy the game but it can be easily shown to be poor.

TheExodu5

Banned
saladine1 said:
etc....etc....

GT5 is all I have, aside from PC sims. I wish Microsoft would allow the G25 to work with the 360. ;_;

skyfinch

tengiants said:

:lol Or you could compare GT5/Forza 3 with Outrun because both games have Ferraris. Or GT5/Forza 3 with Pokemon snap because they have photomode.

adelante said:
You mean userbase. And bringing up sales was a moot point to begin with since one of them has always been a far more established franchise (it's akin to putting Killzone's sales against Halo's)
Lol yes, userbase. I was in class when i typed yet working in SQL databases :lol

Halo is the better game. So much more content then KZ2 as well.

shinnn

saladine1 said:
... Everytime I want to buy a new or used car I tend to find one with the best sounds to begin with because I don't want to hear a hoover for the next round of races.
someone posted a ferrari 458 video here and WOW.. it's sound atrocious. I don't known how anyone passionate about cars can tolerate this.

MrPliskin

Banned
saladine1 said:
etc....etc....

So basically you want the unrealistic stuff from Forza in GT :lol

Chrange

Banned
adelante said:
Makes me wonder....is there anybody else among all you GT fans here that share the same belief as this dude, that Shift is the closest competitor to GT than Forza?? :D
Well he does say 'on the PS3' in there...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
saladine1 said:
Bwahaha :lol

GT5 is not the game for you, my friend. Not the game for you at all.

MrPliskin said:
So basically you want the unrealistic stuff from Forza in GT :lol
Exactly. Picking a car based on the way it sounds before a race is just all kinds of absurd.

Insertia

Stripper13 said:
Are you fucking serious? I have zero reason to lie about it. The rain effects in the scenario I listed are reproduced each and every time I have tried. Believe me - I want the game to look like some of the videos that have been posted - especially the wet weather ones. Granted I have only tried the Mustang on High Speed Ring in wet weather (I'm hoping it is an isolated incident given I spent $80 AUD on the game), but my impression of the wet weather effects thus far are negative - and in no way lies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anHWxAGYOjw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL4Uw2mZfqw

Yes, you have reason to lie. It looks amazing, I understand.

High Speed Ring is actually one of my favorite tracks in GT5.

XiaNaphryz

chubigans said:
Exactly. Picking a car based on the way it sounds before a race is just all kinds of absurd.
The guys on Top Gear have mentioned this as a negative several times if the engine noise isn't up to their expectations. Why is it absurd?

There´s a huge list of people bitching and pointing out flaws for people like Jimmy Johnson, Michael Schumacher, Sebastien Loeb, and also for professional teams like the Los Angeles Lakers, Real Madrid, etc...

When you are at the top, everybody else that is not, will take cheap shots at you and complain. Most of the time is unfair criticism.

This is the reason why Gran Turismo gets so much love and hate at the same time. If the complains don´t make sense, maybe it´s because some people would like to see their game doing better. Certanly it explains some of the posts here.

Videogames are like sports, people take sides and cheer for their "teams" It is what it is. This thread is like debating, "Kobe or LeBron?"

In sports, championships speak for itself, and in the gaming world, sales will tell us exactly which one the general public likes it better.

XiaNaphryz

tengiants said:
Forza 3 is nothing but a joke in terms of wheel support
Let me guess, you've never used a Fanatec wheel?

This thread. :lol
seattle6418 said:
In sports, championships speak for itself, and in the gaming world, sales will tell us exactly which one the general public likes it better.
Just Dance championship confirmed!

Insertia

Trickster said:
Yes, premium cars have amazing detail and look great in the photomode, this is very common knowledge, so what's your point?

There is no point. Gosh, this thread brings out the insecure.

5207653209_dca4510747_b.jpg

:lol

watership

Rad- said:
I'm betting next gen. Unless Forza Kinect is also Forza 4 though I doubt it because they didn't announce it as "Forza 4".
Forza games are usually 2 years apart, and announced 'officially' 6 months before release. We might see a new Forza in Oct 2011.

MrPliskin

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
The guys on Top Gear have mentioned this as a negative several times if the engine noise isn't up to their expectations. Why is it absurd?

It's absurd in this instance because most of these "petrolheads" (yes, its in quotes for a reasons) are only interested in loud throaty cars, even if 80% of the time in Forza its considerably over exaggerated.

They're not looking for accuracy, they're just looking for "oh man this sounds nice!" These wacko's would probably race in a Suzuki Cappucino if it had a deep throaty sound. :lol

XiaNaphryz

Damnit Insertia, I keep getting distracted by your tag. Did you ever end up eating your hat or not, a mod needs to update that shit already. :lol

LCfiner

seattle6418 said:
Videogames are like sports, people take sides and cheer for their "teams" It is what it is. This thread is like debating, "Kobe or LeBron?"

OK, glad to know CODBLOPS is the best game of all time.

Top Bottom