• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

eso76

TwiztidElf said:
Having played both now, I prefer Forza3.

Sure the driving model and the handling of the cars is marginally better in GT5, but the far superior and extensive feature set of Forza3 means it wins out overall by far.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss rewind, particularly when you've been unfairly fucked over by the AI late in a race.

let's just say forza has more features you care about. Livery editor ? customization ? auction house ? car setup ? i can understand that. Objectively speaking gt5 has a more content. But like i said earlier, numbers don't mean much.
Each has its own set of features and personality, neither can completely replace the other, they both deserve praise for different things. I don't know why people (not talking about you here) find it hard to live with that.

oh, i actually came here to say i find it criminal that ign (yeah, i know) said something to the extent of "the least said about the soundtrack, the better" about gt5.
Yeah, tracks used during races are generally atrocious, but I'm just browsing through the track list and the bossa nova, classical, jazz, lounge selections are nothing short of pure class. Amazing. Listening to them through a marantz and a couple of b&w 683 is sex.

nib95

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
In what way is it ridiculous to expect a game that was hyped as the second coming of jesus christ and has been in development for five years to be close to racing perfection? GT 5 should of blew Forza 3 completely out of the water and anyone with at least one working eyeball can see that it quite clearly has not.

This isn't some B tier franchise we are talking about here it's Gran fucking Turismo the biggest and best selling core racing game on the planet. So the fact that it's reviewing worse than a game that took half the time to make is worrying.

If GT5 lives up to all it was expected to be this thread would be DEAD.

Not all of them do no. It's Gran Turismo - It's the world premiere racing franchise. I expect better.

Apologies but like I said above GT 5 should of been unquestionable in its dominance.

Lol, firstly, there is no such thing as 'perfect'. Secondly, if you honestly thought GT5 could ever achieve that idealistic plateau then you are extremely naive.

This is GT5, like most other huge franchises, nobody will EVER be completely satisfied, and there will always be a slew of criticisms and hating, some valid, some idiotic.

ShogunX

nib95 said:
Lol, firstly, there is no such thing as 'perfect'. Secondly, if you honestly thought GT5 could ever achieve that idealistic plateau then you are extremely naive.

This is GT5, like most other huge franchises, nobody will EVER be completely satisfied, and there will always be a slew of criticisms and hating, some valid, some idiotic.

Maybe not in the exact sense of the word but I'm positive you know exactly what I mean when I say GT5 should by all accounts be as close as we have come to racing perfection. People hold the the major franchises to a different level of quality so after five year of hype and delays how is it possible that the worlds best racing franchise is being reviewed below Forza 3?

Ashes

Banned
Snuggler said:
I wonder if there's a correlation between PS3 fans preferring Gran Turismo and 360 fans preferring Forza

Perhaps... but putting my own cards on the table, what happens, if you bought more games on x360 this year (admitedly multiplats mostly), than ps3, and yet think Gt5 is superior?

To me it is this simple. GT5 wins where it counts in a sim racer: driving and selection of cars, from go karts to f1 cars. Has anyone said forza drives better or has a wider selection of cars? no.
On some level that IGN review was right, GT5 is the better driving simulater, but for some, forza is the better game.

iceatcs

Wow GT5 does look good in night.

I think Forza 3 won by features overall like many of here already said that.
Shame PD didn't noting other racing games much as if they do, GT5 more likely to have more features than before. I bet Turn10 was lied about PD took noting on F3 E3 demo.

Only man can dream is Turn10 X PD racing game. It could be most completion racing title ever.

Ashes

Banned
iceatcs said:
Wow GT5 does look good in night.

I think Forza 3 won by features overall like many of here already said that.

Shame PD didn't noting other racing games much as if they do, GT5 more likely to have more features than before. I bet Turn10 was lied about PD took noting on F3 E3 demo.

Only man can dream is Turn10 X PD racing game. It could be most completion racing title ever.

List the features on both games.

RotBot

I miss the 360's custom soundtrack feature. The one in GT5 is terrible. You have to go to the main menu to change playlists and your music only plays during races. Doing license tests means only hearing the first 15 seconds of each song. This is more 360 vs PS3 than FM3 vs GT5, as it's Sony's fault for leaving it up to developers.

nib95

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
Maybe not in the exact sense of the word but I'm positive you know exactly what I mean when I say GT5 should by all accounts be as close as we have come to racing perfection. People hold the the major franchises to a different level of quality so after five year of hype and delays how is it possible that the worlds best racing franchise is being reviewed below Forza 3?

GT5 is pretty damn close to it (provided you've actually played it). Take away the 200 or so really bad looking standard cars (majority of them look good), and the few really bad looking PS2 up-scaled tracks (Laguna Seca and Deep Forest?) and GT5 pretty much fills expectations. Minus the load times and tearing.

It either improves or masters so many other things. Physics, features, AI, weather, graphics, sense of speed, feedback, lighting (day/night), vehicle diversity, number of modes etc etc. You cannot find the racing experience GT5 offers anywhere else. It is unique and jam packed with diverse, realistic and ultimately seriously fun gameplay.

The new physics engine, Nascar, dynamic lighting and weather, Go-karting etc. Such fantastic additions.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Maybe at the end of the day we can say GT offers the better racing experience but Forza is the better racing game? I don't mean to slight Forza in anway--these are just video games at the end of the day!

I think with all the reviews and all the head-to-heads ending in Forza 3's favor I really think this is the bottom line. Nobody can touch many of the individual achievements Polyphony has magically worked into this game... day/night cycle, lighting system, etc. When people are saying Forza 3 is 'better' (i.e. the reviews and the head-to-heads) I think they mean as a package Forza 3 has a lot to offer--livery editor, custom soundtracks, tuning, telemetry, etc. So the core of GT5 eclipses that of Forza 3 but Forza 3 comes out on top as the better experience.

Reading the impressions at racing forums, beyond3d, etc., this seems to be the grand consensus.

I agree - Turn 10 x Polyphony would be amazing :D

ShogunX

nib95 said:
GT5 is pretty damn close to it (provided you've actually played it). Take away the 200 or so really bad looking standard cars (majority of them look good), and the few really bad looking PS2 up-scaled tracks (Laguna Seca and Deep Forest?) and GT5 pretty much fills expectations. Minus the load times and tearing.

It either improves or masters so many other things. Physics, features, AI, weather, graphics, sense of speed, feedback, lighting (day/night), vehicle diversity, number of modes etc etc. You cannot find the racing experience GT5 offers anywhere else. It is unique and jam packed with diverse, realistic and ultimately seriously fun gameplay.

The new physics engine, Nascar, dynamic lighting and weather, Go-karting etc. Such fantastic additions.

Yet we have things like this popping up.

6zn1uo.png

Again after FIVE years development and new hardware it's to be expected that the game improves on past entries in the series. For many it seems like more of a refinement than the revolution many people were expecting.

Shogun PaiN said:

http://i52.tinypic.com/6zn1uo.png[IMG]

[B]Again after FIVE years development [/B]and new hardware it's to be expected that the game improves on past entries in the series. For many it seems like more of a refinement than the revolution many people were expecting.[/QUOTE]

That is the reason for the frustration, after Prologue released it seemed like the development was progressing well but Polyphony over-stretched themselves. The game feels rushed, the long load times, the premium/standard car situation and some features such as damage not being implemented as some fans were expecting. The game is the best sim racer if we purely base it on physics models on consoles but as a game it didn't overshadow Forza 3 as I thought it would.

Shogun PaiN said:

[]http://i52.tinypic.com/6zn1uo.png[/IMG]

Again after FIVE years development and new hardware it's to be expected that the game improves on past entries in the series. For many it seems like more of a refinement than the revolution many people were expecting.

I can't believe you just used that image... :lol

nib95

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
[/IMG]

Please don't post crap like that. It's just fanboy fodder. F3's textures are not always better (sometimes the AF makes the textures terrible, not always) and the mountains are 3D. Camera pans around them pre-race.

In any case, it's all just nit pickery as it still looks great and looks even better on a big screen at 60fps in 1080p.

P.S Do you actually even own GT5 or are you just trolling/hating it for the sake of it?

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Shogun PaiN said:

http://i52.tinypic.com/6zn1uo.png[IMG]
[/B]
Again after FIVE years development and new hardware it's to be expected that the game improves on past entries in the series. For many it seems like more of a refinement than the revolution many people were expecting.[/QUOTE]

:lol :lol

iceatcs

Ashes1396 said:
List the features on both games.
True, I could but it will be very hard. Both are very difference way.
Example if you looking at car numbers total. Of course GT5 won that but Forza 3 got more cars cockpit view available etc...

ShogunX

nib95 said:
Please don't post crap like that. It's just fanboy fodder. F3's textures are not always better (sometimes the AF makes the textures terrible, not always) and the mountains are 3D. Camera pans around them pre-race.

In any case, it's all just nit pickery as it still looks great and looks even better on a big screen at 60fps in 1080p.

P.S Do you actually even own GT5 or are you just trolling/hating it for the sake of it?

I own a PS3 and GT 5 as well as a 360 and Forza 3 (haven't played it much at all). I'm not normally that into racing games to be honest and prefer something like Burnout for the pick up and play style that it offers. However for some reason GT has always managed to hold my attention since the original on the PS1 and since made a point to purchase each game in the franchise.

I haven't put GT5 into my PS3 yet as I have a horrible tendency to just put aside and lose track of any other game I'm playing when a big hitter arrives. Therefore I want to finish Fallout NV before I play GT5.

nib95

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
I own a PS3 and GT 5 as well as a 360 and Forza 3 (haven't played it much at all). I'm not normally that into racing games to be honest and prefer something like Burnout for the pick up and play style that it offers. However for some reason GT has always managed to hold my attention since the original on the PS1 and since made a point to purchase each game in the franchise.

I haven't put GT5 into my PS3 yet as I have a horrible tendency to just put aside and lose track of any other game I'm playing when a big hitter arrives. Therefore I want to finish Fallout NV before I play GT5.

:lol

Ok, well maybe play it some first then come back in here to debate...

ShogunX

nib95 said:
:lol

Ok, well maybe play it some first then come back in here to debate...

Why would I need to play the game when I can post up poor looking screen shots and bitch about things like tearing and the frame rate? I was under the impression this thread was for trolling purposes only and it would be rude to pass up a perfect opportunity to stir up the rabid fan base of a certain franchise.

Do you honestly believe even half the people in this thread have played either game let alone one of them :lol? Fuck no.

tengiants

Shogun PaiN said:

Hahaha then stay the fuck out of this thread. You are cool but the only opinion that matters is that of PC Sim racing vets to be honest.

tengiants said:
Hahaha then stay the fuck out of this thread. The only opinion that matters is that of PC Sim racing vets to be honest.

And why is that? Because only PC Sim racing vets have enough track experience in RL?

Willectro

Banned
Snuggler said:
I wonder if there's a correlation between PS3 fans preferring Gran Turismo and 360 fans preferring Forza

I own both consoles with both games. Forza is better. I really wanted to like GT5 more, but there's just too many things in the game that piss me off. I find in GT5 that you are wasting a lot of time in menus and not on the track. I would rather have the menus be purely text based than have to look at a loading screen between every menu screen.

The only thing that GT5 has going for it is variety.

ShogunX

tengiants said:
Hahaha then stay the fuck out of this thread. The only opinion that matters is that of PC Sim racing vets to be honest.

:lol No. The only opinion that matters is from people who have played both games extensively and have no other reason except for enjoyment alone to pick one over the other. Who cares if somebody is a PC racing vet?

will52 said:
I own both consoles with both games. Forza is better. I really wanted to like GT5 more, but there's just too many things in the game that piss me off. I find in GT5 that you are wasting a lot of time in menus and not on the track. I would rather have the menus be purely text based than have to look at a loading screen between every menu screen.

He said fans, not owners of both consoles. :lol

ShogunX

RotBot said:
Sim racing game graphics are like rhythm game graphics to me. I'm too busy concentrating on not fucking up to notice them.

I'm normally fine until I take the lead and then its all down hill from that moment on. Cruising along all nice when for no reason at all I just crash into a random wall/object and end up finishing about 4th. Happens all the time online as well. Too busy concentrating on whats happening behind me instead of just winning.

tengiants

Shogun PaiN said:
I'm normally fine until I take the lead and then its all down hill from that moment on. Cruising along all nice when for no reason at all I just crash into a random wall/object and end up finishing about 4th. Happens all the time online as well. Too busy concentrating on whats happening behind me instead of just winning.

Grid is your shit I bet.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
RotBot said:
Sim racing game graphics are like rhythm game graphics to me. I'm too busy concentrating on not fucking up to notice them.

I wish my rhythm games came packaged with a stare at models photomode.

beast786

will52 said:
I own both consoles with both games. Forza is better. I really wanted to like GT5 more, but there's just too many things in the game that piss me off. I find in GT5 that you are wasting a lot of time in menus and not on the track. I would rather have the menus be purely text based than have to look at a loading screen between every menu screen. The only thing that GT5 has going for it is variety.

True standard to judge SIM racers :D

mil6es

Shogun PaiN said:
:lol No. The only opinion that matters is from people who have played both games extensively and have no other reason except for enjoyment alone to pick one over the other. Who cares if somebody is a PC racing vet?

Shogun PaiN said:

lol :lol :lol :lol

Ashes

Banned
iceatcs said:
True, I could but it will be very hard. Both are very difference way.
Example if you looking at car numbers total. Of course GT5 won that but Forza 3 got more cars cockpit view available etc...

If it helps to make it easier, just do one for forza, even if it's console specific like selecting music.
I just want to see the full list. and you can point out whatever you want.
eg. Forza had 400 cars, but all of them are 'premium' so to speak.

I really don't think they compete. This is the horrible way to do it, but it gets the point across (?) for example:

Does forza have nascar? no.
Does forza have go karts? no.
Does forza have formula 1? no.
Does forza have the top gear test track? no.
Does forza have night time? no.
Does forza have dynamic weather? no.
Does forza have rain? no.
Does forza have snow? no.
Does Forza have a track generator?

See what happens when you prefer one over the other?

Forza has a more expansive: tuning mode, community features, livery editor and rewind.
Three of those things, Pd could do in an update, and the last one, they don't want to do it seems like.

edit: I forgot consistancy. What forza has is consistancy, like damage across all cars etc...

eso76

People's perception on actual driving in Forza is inevitably influenced by the limited availability of decent compatible wheels in the world. And by limited i mean the few thousands of PWTS Fanatec produced.

When you think of it, it's not marginal. If you don't own a Pwts you didn't really experience a fraction of the whole thing and it's safe to assume 90% of people who played fm3 don't.
That was a huge mistake from MS.
GT5 still offers an overall better driving experience, but that doesn't automatically make fm3 a turd, it's actually quite great.

nib95

Banned
Shogun PaiN said:
Why would I need to play the game when I can post up poor looking screen shots and bitch about things like tearing and the frame rate? I was under the impression this thread was for trolling purposes only and it would be rude to pass up a perfect opportunity to stir up the rabid fan base of a certain franchise.

Do you honestly believe even half the people in this thread have played either game let alone one of them :lol? Fuck no.

Well I personally think everyone in here bitching about either game who hasn't played both is a giant joke whose opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

Hows that for an opinion? This thread is unreal...

EDIT: Evidently earlier you agreed! :lol

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Ashes1396 said:
If it helps to make it easier, just do one for forza, even if it's console specific like selecting music.
I just want to see the full list. and you can point out whatever you want.
eg. Forza had 400 cars, but all of them are 'premium' so to speak.

I really don't think they compete. This is the horrible way to do it, but it gets the point across (?) for example:

Does forza have nascar? no.
Does forza have go karts? no.
Does forza have formula 1? no.
Does forza have the top gear test track? no.
Does forza have night time? no.
Does forza have dynamic weather? no.
Does forza have rain? no.
Does forza have snow? no.
Does Forza have a track generator?

See what happens when you prefer one over the other?

Forza has a more expansive: tuning mode, community features, livery editor and rewind.
Three of those things, Pd could do in an update, and the last one, they don't want to do it seems like.

edit: I forgot consistancy. What forza has is consistancy, like damage across all cars etc...
True true, but FM 3 ultimate ($30) is up to 500 cars now :p pretty respectable number.

will52 said:

I own both consoles with both games, and wheels for each. I much prefer GT5, because of a list of reasons that's almost too big to name, but there are definitely a few things I wouldn't mind transferring from Forza to GT:

1. More modern cars (I got a fair number of the DLC packs for this game)
2. More race cars

There are a few more features I like in Forza in the online department, but I like what GT is doing with the friends integration a lot, and a lot of the missing features were in fact in GT5 Prologue and have partly been announced for the December patch (which is mentioned even in the manual so that was planned long in advance it seems), so I'm going to reserve judgment on that part for now.

EDIT: have to add, that I do really like Forza though.

tengiants

Shurs said:
Shogun Pain, and a couple of other people in this thread, remind me of the comedian in Seinfeld who converted to Judaism just so he could tell Jewish jokes.

Very true. Pretty sure that was Curb your Enthusiasm though.

Top Bottom