• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Fixed1979

Slayer-33 said:
T10 delivered a more consistent in quality game across the board Dorothy in one third the time.

Of course they are worthy, reviews speak for themselves

I went so long without posting in this thread but I just couldn't help myself and finally broke down...

I'll live with my regrets.

The technical analysis on those sites is such a joke.
For eg on the lens of truth no where did the mention that GT has twice the amount of cars on screen than forza 3.
Still i guess it's PD fault they should gone for 30fps and 8 cars on tracks just for people to say the have better looking game all the time :lol .
If it's one thing PD should have done was drop the 1080p.

a176

Banned
guess which game?

82416912.jpg

chris0701

gundamkyoukai said:
For eg on the lens of truth no where did the mention that GT has twice the amount of cars on screen than forza 3.
Still i guess it's PD fault they should gone for 30fps and 8 cars on tracks just for people to say the have better looking game all the time :lol .

The inconsistence of GT5 visual is pretty joke for Yamachi.

adelante

gundamkyoukai said:
It was a performance analysis. Their goal was not to see which is a better looking game (at least not in terms of number of cars onscreen, shadow quality, etc).

Haunted

jett said:
The first couple of dozen pages of this thread are hilarious to be honest, lulz all around.
Thank you for making me curious and skim through the first couple pages again. :lol

So good in retrospect.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Fixed1979 said:
I went so long without posting in this thread but I just couldn't help myself and finally broke down...

I'll live with my regrets.

Once you get involved in this thread you are part of the party :lol

I had not visited it in months either, I would have grown an aneurysm if I had paid attention/kept track of it. :D

I can just IMAGINE the brutal crap that was being flung at FM 3 pre GT5 release weeks or a month left pre-launch, I don't even want to look. :lol

C-Jo

As someone who has 1000/1000 in Forza 3 and will get the platinum in GT5, I can't decide if this is the best or worst thread ever.

Stoffinator

nib95 said:
I put several hours in to it. And several weeks in to Forza 2. That's enough. I actually thought F2's handling physics were better than F3's. F3's seemed more forgiving and arcadey, and at times it was difficult to spin certain cars even with assists off. It's like it had perma driving assist on or something.

I made the same comments on the games release and even the demo's release too.

I can agree with that.

regs

I like how people are arguing over which is more sim when most of them haven't even driven any of the cars in real life except maybe a honda civic.

I am by NO MEANS an expert but I've driven a few high performance cars for extended periods of time and they're off in both games.

ISF is my daily, and the way it sounds, drives and feels in both fm3 and gt5 is insulting. Also the gearing for it in GT5 is way off as well. The car has a 8 speed transmission but it almost feels like you're driving a 5 speed :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Baby Milo said:
U dont even own the game

im not sure how you can be a counterpoint against GT
Thanks for reading my post in it's entirety and replying accordingly.

o wait.

a176 said:
guess which game?

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7178/82416912.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
PGR4.

chris0701 said:
:lol :lol :lol

This thread was meant to troll FM 3 ,completely let FM 3 into another embrassing level never before,at least two weeks ago.

Now everything is changed.
I knpw. PGR4, outdates both games and has come out on top in here... :lol

If Microsoft is reading, we'll give you our money for a well done PGR5 with Bizarre. Couple in Geometry Wars 3 as a free preorder code and I'll buy Day1 regardless.

adelante said:
It was a performance analysis. Their goal was not to see which is a better looking game (at least not in terms of number of cars onscreen, shadow quality, etc).

Yes, but that kind of analysis is almost completely worthless. What's the point of comparing frame rates and tearing, when you're ignoring things like a far higher resolution and other major differences? It's not scientific -- it's just bullshit. Especially with that "while GT5 is slightly more visually appealing" note in the conclusion, which is neither here nor there.

At the VERY least, you should try to run the test in somewhat similar circumstances. Same number of cars, same track, same cars; maybe even knock GT5 down to 720p mode. You need to explain what exact setups were used; etc.

LOT does a pretty good job most of the time, since they normally compare multiplatform versions, but this was just lame fishing for hits without anything really substantial to say.

adelante

RedRedSuit said:
Yes, but that kind of analysis is almost completely worthless. What's the point of comparing frame rates and tearing, when you're ignoring things like a far higher resolution and other major differences? It's not scientific -- it's just bullshit. Especially with that "while GT5 is slightly more visually appealing" note in the conclusion, which is neither here nor there.

LOT does a pretty good job most of the time, since they normally compare multiplatform versions, but this was just lame fishing for hits without anything really substantial to say.
It is what it is. Their analysis is useful for people who are sensitive to screen tearing or just wondering how optimized the game is considering it is doing so much more than its closest competitor. You really think LOT's not aware that GT5's rendering that many cars on a track? Or using a far more advanced lighting engine?

adelante said:
It is what it is. Their analysis is useful for people who are sensitive to screen tearing or just wondering how optimized the game is considering it is doing so much more than its closest competitor. You really think LOT's not aware that GT5's rendering that many cars on a track? Or using a far more advanced lighting engine?

It doesn't matter if they're aware or whether I think they're aware of that. What matters is what is in the article. The article is quite bad. It is especially bad considering the little neither-here-not-there equivocations they provide, like the conclusion paragraph (about how GT5 is apparently somewhat more visually appealing) or the "graphics" paragraph which seems to want to explain the differences between the two versions:

Graphics: In general, vehicle models across platforms looked incredible and photo realistic. However, the major differences between the two versions was how each platform handled vehicle damage. It’s was clear that Gran Turismo 5 had implemented a rarely used feature called Decal Tessellation. Without going into too much detail, the idea behind this technique is to take a displacement map texture, project it onto geometry - just like a decal – and tessellate the geometry in real time so that the displaced geometry looks like physical damage to the vehicle. Plain and simple, mimicking realistic damage on the fly. On the flip side, Forza 3 simply swapped out decals and models which made collision between vehicles look rather dull compared to Gran Turismo 5. Although we’re not comparing graphical differences in this article, a little information about the vehicles damage systems felt appropriate.

What is this? It's totally random. Explaining the differences about how they do damage, but not explaining about different resolutions, different numbers of cars, different lighting, or how all these fit together into the actual comparison they ran?

It's a bullshit article. It would've been a lot less bullshit if they just kept it focussed on GT5 (e.g., just said "we did XYZ with settings ABC, and got M frame rates and N tearing"). But they didn't. Instead they pretended it's actually some kind of scientific comparison of the two games... which it's not.

saladine1

How about a GAf poll?
We all vote and whichever game has the highest amount of votes wins the coveted, "The mostest definitive racer this gen" award.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cuban Legend said:
I knpw. PGR4, outdates both games and has come out on top in here... :lol

If Microsoft is reading, we'll give you our money for a well done PGR5 with Bizarre. Couple in Geometry Wars 3 as a free preorder code and I'll buy Day1 regardless.
For PGR5, I'd do anything. Seriously Microsoft, here's the pin to my bank account. Just take it, I'm sure it'll go to a great place, like Bizarre.

J-Rzez

les papillons sexuels said:
people need to start labeling the screenshots because i can't tell the difference.

If shot in a mode where color and lighting don't do their magic then it goes: If an older car looks really bad, it's probably GT5. If a car looks "good enough" it's probably Forza 3. If a car looks insane, it too is probably GT5. But in the end, the lighting and "color" is what separates GT5 and FM3. GT's lighting is insane, and the colors of vehicles really mimics real-life qualities, while for the most part Forza's lighting and color values makes the cars look like they have a cartoony appearance.

TWO days of grinding to get a car that's better than a honda Civic.

Heh. Is this what this thread is boiling down to now? You could buy a used junker in GT5, and within a few races have enough to buy some new hotness. That's a fact. So might as well just go ahead and list the number of Skylines/GTRs in the game instead. GT5 has it's shortcomings that are blatantly obvious, better off sticking to those.

And heh at thinking PGR > Forza/GT especially since we're discussing these games from a "Sim Standard".

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
saladine1 said:
How about a GAf poll?
We all vote and whichever game has the highest amount of votes wins the coveted, "The mostest definitive racer this gen" award.
Discussing it is better, a poll would just be a popularity contest.

As it is they are both amazing games packed to the gills with content, it boils down to preferrence despite flaws within both games, objectionally speaking FM 3 'Seems' to have a better level of quality across the board like I mentioned In my humble opinion (something that I would expect to be debated by any GT series fan if they don't admit to it and there could be a reasonable arguement about it) but that's not to say that GT 5 doesn't do certain things better or insanely better like those ridiculous premium models or lighting / photomode locales / color pallete.

From what I can tell these games have a tug of war going on, across all categories, one or the other slightly or semi moderately to moderately pulling the other past the center line but neither being pulled across or knocked on the ground (although certain GT5 PM pictures look ridiculously real) that's about it.

J-Rzez said:
If shot in a mode where color and lighting don't do their magic then it goes: If an older car looks really bad, it's probably GT5. If a car looks "good enough" it's probably Forza 3. If a car looks insane, it too is probably GT5. But in the end, the lighting and "color" is what separates GT5 and FM3. GT's lighting is insane, and the colors of vehicles really mimics real-life qualities, while for the most part Forza's lighting and color values makes the cars look like they have a cartoony appearance.

I think you're wrong about everything you said. Hop into the official forza 3 thread and there's a ton of photo's that are identical the best I've seen out of the gt5 thread. I honestly can't tell the difference.

The only hint I get is from the backgrounds, and even then the blur dof and other effects make it hard to tell.

If it's at night and/or raining it's gt5, if it looks good it can be either gt5 or forza, if it looks bad it can be either gt5 or forza, if it looks like a wii game it's probably gt5 but just one of those shots to make the game look worse then it is.

Aspiring

Just to add my 2c worth after finall getting GT5, so far graphically Forza looks better although I have only played the first few races and I think with a standard car. Although it's by no means as bad as what people are making out. Bit when it comes to the most important bit, the driving GT5 kills Forza. So I am hoping that when I get premium Cars it takes off. But still so many gambits overreacting it's not bad at all with standard cars.

Ashes

Banned
I think you're wrong about everything you said. Hop into the official forza 3 thread and there's a ton of photo's that are identical the best I've seen out of the gt5 thread. I honestly can't tell the difference.

The only hint I get is from the backgrounds, and even then the blur dof and other effects make it hard to tell.

If it's at night and/or raining it's gt5, if it looks good it can be either gt5 or forza, if it looks bad it can be either gt5 or forza, if it looks like a wii game it's probably gt5 but just one of those shots to make the game look worse then it is.

Post the best couple of pics in here... :) then we all win...

@the few folks above... you all seem too level headed, and out of place in this thread. :D

Arucardo

So lets play, name the game.

Forza 3
I can tell from the gfx and the fact that GT5 has no porsche :lol
NFS Shift
GTR Evo/Race 07/WTCC
GT5
IRL
IRL

Also those two that are just links:

GT5
Blur

when everything's static (ie, a screenshot) it really can be difficult to tell which is which. And it's only because of the HUD that I can tell what's what half the time between the two games when they're actually running (barring weather effects and different tracks, of course). Maybe I'm not one to scrutinize the details, or I just don't appreciate the details, I dunno.

WretchedTruman said:
when everything's static (ie, a screenshot) it really can be difficult to tell which is which. And it's only because of the HUD that I can tell what's what half the time between the two games when they're actually running (barring weather effects and different tracks, of course). Maybe I'm not one to scrutinize the details, or I just don't appreciate the details, I dunno.

It's not that difficult to tell them apart, mainly due to the lighting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGXONhFOrkg

Top Bottom