• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

szaromir said:
Given the same sales reporting as GT5P (shipment to retailes, pack-ins included) it might as well have reached that.

The sales reporting as Forza included pack-ins as well and iirc only the 2Mil announcement was made. If it had reached 3M we would have known by now

Shurs said:
Better a late review than a misinformed one.

I don't think there was a lot of misinformation in the reviews. By playing the game more you get to see more content, but I haven't seen a single one that complained about there not being enough to do. The problems that most reviews I read complained about would persist even if they played it for 200 hours.

I think it was probably better for them to get the game on shelves before the biggest shopping day of the year than worry about being behind Forza on Metacritic.

Sure, I agree, but then you have no right to complain about the game not being given enough attention.

AZ Greg

duk said:
How come I don't hear much complaining on FPS drop and screen tearing? Is it not that bad? Reading 20% frames tearing on some tracks is just horrible in a game that depends on rock solid 60fps.

Don't bother asking. I've tried multiple times. Like I've said, the goal posts have been moved to satisfy their arguments. Locked 60FPS only mattered last generation when Forza didn't have it, despite pushing more (Which seems to be the big argument as to why it's OK for GT5 to now have the issues).

Ashes1396 said:
Does forza have nascar? no.
Does forza have go karts? no.
Does forza have formula 1? no.
Does forza have the top gear test track? no.
Does forza have night time? no.
Does forza have dynamic weather? no.
Does forza have rain? no.
Does forza have snow? no.
Does Forza have a track generator?

Are people really so desperate when making these lists that they have to keep separating types of weather? It's the equivalent of a Forza fan saying:

Does GT5 have a livery editor?
Does GT5 have cars with Batman paint jobs?
Does GT5 have cars with Hello Kitty paint jobs?

X26 said:
what's with the woe is me attitude, if it wasnt for forza's pr strategy being to act as arrogant as possible people here wouldn't have been nearly so intent on shitting on the game

Let's be real. T10 could have never said one thing that could be considered arrogant, cured cancer during Forza 3's development, and you'd still have people intent on shitting on the game.

And let's not pretend that PD has never said anything arrogant or taken shots at the competition. The quote about a game barely being able to call itself one if it isn't 60FPS comes to mind. A bit humorous now, considering the state of GT5.

LCfiner said:
ecLjVl.jpg

Wow. Too bad Kaz didn't have the not going to do damage until he can do it perfect philosophy with a number of areas in that shot.

Also, gotta say, Insertia's Wikipedia post was amazing. Well done! And although you're just messing around now to get reactions (Stop getting so defensive people who are responding to him!), your posts come off as if they're dripping with disappointment. I know it's probably happened to you multiple times this generation, so you've probably learned your lesson for the next, but don't buy so hard into pre-launch console/game hype/marketing. It will make for much less disappointment over the lifespan of the console. :D

Insertia

GT was started in 1992. It's 2010 and we're only on the 5th one!

Forza was released 5 years ago. The 3rd entry was released last year...

original.aspx

dan greenwalt During Forza 3 Development said:
Thanks to my education in religion I'm able to pump out shoddy racing titles much faster that will never elevate the industry or genre. My racing title will never be the standard. I'll have to go on attack and hire a community manger.

Majmun

AZ Greg said:
Does GT5 have a livery editor?
Does GT5 have cars with Batman paint jobs?
Does GT5 have cars with Hello Kitty paint jobs?

I love that feature. But it's nothing more than a gimmick.

The GT5 features mentioned by Ashes1396 involve racing or can influence it.

Shurs

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I don't think there was a lot of misinformation in the reviews. By playing the game more you get to see more content, but I haven't seen a single one that complained about there not being enough to do. The problems that most reviews I read complained about would persist even if they played it for 200 hours.

I'm not saying that there was malicious intent with the reviews, I fully understand the pressure to pump out a review in as timely a manner as possible, but I do think that some of the complaints regarding damage and AI would have been softened had the reviewers played the game longer.

Insertia said:
GT was started in 1992. It's 2010 and we're only on the 5th one!

Forza was released 5 years ago. The 3rd entry was released last year...

original.aspx

This is pretty lame. I'll reiterate: GT is the more realistic game. Its handling is unsurpassed with more variation than anything on console and it generally looks more realistic (much more so in parts), yet Forza is a great game, and for a pretty clear 'rip off' (which, let's face it, is exactly what the series was created to be) to be as good as it is, well, that's testament to a talented team at Turn 10. Shitting on it so mercilessly with such gusto is pretty pathetic and surpasses by itself the many people laughing at GT's imperfections without having played the game properly.

Shurs said:
I'm not saying that there was malicious intent with the reviews, but I do think that some of the complaints regarding damage and AI would have been softened had the reviewers played the game longer.

Mind you, keeping those locked until the later levels was a very stupid decision. Sure, keep them turned off by default, but allow people who know what they are doing to switch them on.

Metalmurphy said:
They did.

Not according to Turn 10.

Forza 3 doesn't have nascar officially but there is a stock car you can pain into anything you want, then use the (nissan) speedway ring for oval races, or the monza/sadona smaller one if you want to use the brakes.

AZ Greg said:
Also, gotta say, Insertia's Wikipedia post was amazing. Well done! And although you're just messing around now to get reactions (Stop getting so defensive people who are responding to him!), your posts come off as if they're dripping with disappointment. I know it's probably happened to you multiple times this generation, so you've probably learned your lesson for the next, but don't buy so hard into pre-launch console/game hype/marketing. It will make for much less disappointment over the lifespan of the console. :D

see, this is what this thread should be all about. slightly obvious but smooth console trolling.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Not according to Turn 10.

Link?...

This is the quote for the official announcement:
“After speeding past the finish line last October, Forza Motorsport 3 is now in the hands of more than 2 million passionate car lovers around the world”

Metalmurphy said:
:lol

He's your source?

Ok then... No matter how many times he keeps lying people still eat it up. No wonder he keeps doing it.

I already had that conversation three pages back, I'm not going to repeat myself. If you prefer to believe what you want to believe rather than Che, sure, be my guest. There's no way to prove anything either way.

Shurs

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Mind you, keeping those locked until the later levels was a very stupid decision. Sure, keep them turned off by default, but allow people who know what they are doing to switch them on.

Bad design decision or not, the idea that some reviewers didn't even realize that the game featured heavy damage modeling and increasingly difficult AI as you level up tells me that their reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

Edit:
I'm not saying that GT5 is above criticism. Some of the standard cars look like shit, there are some frame rate and tearing issues. That you can't race a time trial on the Top Gear Track from a standstill is a fucking travesty.

[Nintex]

Metalmurphy said:
Link?...

This is the quote for the official announcement:
“After speeding past the finish line last October, Forza Motorsport 3 is now in the hands of more than 2 million passionate car lovers around the world”
"Speeding past the finish line" what a funny use of words, sounds like the game stopped selling when it finished last October. "Speeding past" well I guess they kept shipping copies for no reason because they were never sold.

Shitty PR is shitty. Something like:
"After the blazing start last October blah blah"
Would've been much better.

PARANO1A

I have Forza 2, skipped Forza 3 and am currently enjoying GT5. What exactly are the big improvements in Forza 3 over Forza 2?

For the record, my thoughts are GT5 is a poorer "game" than F2 but a better driving experience. So much time wasted racing cars I don't like or waiting for the cars I do like to come up for sale and so much grinding for money in races I've already won... its a testament to the games underlying quality that im still playing really!

Shurs

PARANO1A said:
I have Forza 2, skipped Forza 3 and am currently enjoying GT5. What exactly are the big improvements in Forza 3 over Forza 2?

I remember at E3 they showed a really sweet video editing system. Greenwalt said you can share your videos over Live with your friends.

Shurs said:
Bad design decision or not, the idea that some reviewers didn't even realize that the game featured heavy damage modeling and increasingly difficult AI as you level up tells me that their reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

Of course, there were quality reviews and crappy reviews, as with every other game. However, presuming that the good ones were only those which gave the game excellent scores sounds a bit unreasonable and, well, biased.

Some major outlets such as GameTrailers, GameSpot and Edge still haven't published their reviews so at least we'll get some thoroughly researched opinions. I'm also looking forward to the InsideSimRacing's review.

Shurs

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Of course, there were quality reviews and crappy reviews, as with every other game. However, presuming that the good ones were only those which gave the game excellent scores sounds a bit unreasonable and, well, biased.

Some major outlets such as GameTrailers, GameSpot and Edge still haven't published their reviews so at least we'll get some thoroughly researched opinions. I'm also looking forward to the InsideSimRacing's review.

Oh, I'm not saying that some of the good ones weren't ill-informed as well.

AZ Greg

Second said:
I love that feature. But it's nothing more than a gimmick.

The GT5 features mentioned by Ashes1396 involve racing or can influence it.

The point I was trying to make had nothing to do with things that "involve racing or can influence it." Just stretching what should be one "+" over the competition into multiple bullet points. Maybe I should have used designed cockpits as my example since that is more gameplay oriented. Isn't it more logical for a Forza supporter to say "All cars have a cockpit view vs. only some in GT5"? As opposed to listing each model that has one in a bullet point list ala the people who are separating types of weather to bolster an argument.

kazuma_pt said:
see, this is what this thread should be all about. slightly obvious but smooth console trolling.

Only someone who is too emotionally involved in a couple of corporations who only care about taking your money would read my statement as a shot at one particular console. It was a general comment that would benefit the owner/potential buyer of any console. Forza 3 and the MS marketing/hype machine built up and then let people down just as hard visually with the shots Che and crew released early on prior to us seeing what actual gameplay would look like.

plufim

Shurs said:
The game does an incredibly poor job of conveying this. Look at all the confusion from people playing it now who still don't know when this stuff comes up. It is a valid complaint.

Shurs

plufim said:
The game does an incredibly poor job of conveying this. Look at all the confusion from people playing it now who still don't know when this stuff comes up. It is a valid complaint.

Complaining about the system, if it's not your cup of tea, is certainly warranted. Outright missing that the system is in place shows a reviewer who either didn't play the game for very long, or one who paid little attention the what the game has to offer.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Sure, I agree, but then you have no right to complain about the game not being given enough attention.
Owing to your intimate experience with GT5. What level are you at?:lol (you can check my XBL gamertag for my achievements in FM3)

theignoramus said:
Owing to your intimate experience with GT5. What level are you at?:lol (you can check my XBL gamertag for my achievements in FM3)

I obviously have no hands-on experience with the game. What I meant was most of the complaints I've seen from reviewers, I've also seen on forums from people playing the game.

And of course, some things you can validate simply by looking at screenshots and video recordings.

Shurs said:

Difficult AI doesn't mean it's good or realistic.
The game still hasn't mechanical damages, and the visual damages are still inferior to the competition.

Pride

Metalmurphy said:
:lol

He's your source?

Ok then... No matter how many times he keeps lying people still eat it up. No wonder he keeps doing it.

What is the source stating that the 2 million includes bundles?

LordPhoque said:
The game still hasn't mechanical damages, and the visual damages are still inferior to the competition.

Doesn't full mechanical damage unlock at level 40? This game has so much misinformation going on it's ridiculous.

Ashes

Banned
AZ Greg said:
The point I was trying to make had nothing to do with things that "involve racing or can influence it." Just stretching what should be one "+" over the competition into multiple bullet points. Maybe I should have used designed cockpits as my example since that is more gameplay oriented. Isn't it more logical for a Forza supporter to say "All cars have a cockpit view vs. only some in GT5"? As opposed to listing each model that has one in a bullet point list ala the people who are separating types of weather to bolster an argument.

I think the point I was making *was* to stretch out the list. It wasn't out of desparation :(

I told the poster I was responding to, to stretch Forza's features out however he likes, because it was what he was already implying I thought for Forza when he said it had more features. Gt5 has a lot more of the bigger features, so the only way, I thought someone can say forza has a lot more features is to imply a lot more of the smaller features.

Regardless I don't see why you are picking the type of weather conditions as the flaw here. Even when I said in that post that it was a horrible way to put things.

Say next year, when Forza 4 releases, and it simply must have weather, they are bound to tout
1. Dynamic weather
2. Realistic Rain
3. Realistic Snow
and
4. Ice / or something else. basically more weather types that actually affect racing.

And Dynamic weather is different to having Just rain.
And there are games which only has rain.

eg... oh it would be kind fo cool to have a Kz2 type thunderstorm in the background...

and I'm out again...

Shurs

SuperSonic1305 said:
Doesn't full mechanical damage unlock at level 40? This game has so much misinformation going on it's ridiculous.

He read some pre-release impressions on a French message board. He's an expert.

Ashes1396 said:
Say next year, when Forza 4 releases, and it simply must have weather, they are bound to tout
1. Dynamic weather
2. Realistic Rain
3. Realistic Snow
and
4. Ice / or something else. basically more weather types that actually affect racing.

Raining frogs? Virgin blood spray? Oh, hey, lava and deep water! Forza Watersport is back, baby!

a1m

Banned
LordPhoque said:
Sorry but mechanical damage is in. How about you try playing the game instead of just bitching here?

jett

D-Member
LordPhoque said:

Surely by competition you don't mean Forza, do you.

308wcud.jpg

lord pie

jett said:
Surely by competition you don't mean Forza, do you.

308wcud.jpg

To be fair: The position / movement data for replays is compressed quite heavily (for obvious reasons). So when playing back that slowly it's almost certainly not going to represent what actually happened during the race. I certainly haven't noticed 'invisible' collisions in game (Although I've seen them in replays for *both* games)

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Hmm, never realised before just how Japan centric the GT roster is. Do they really need all those Skylines?

GT1 only had japanese cars after all. The series have always been japan centric.

Top Bottom