• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

jett

D-Member
lord pie said:
To be fair: The position / movement data for replays is compressed quite heavily (for obvious reasons). So when playing back that slowly it's almost certainly not going to represent what actually happened during the race. I certainly haven't noticed 'invisible' collisions in game (Although I've seen them in replays for *both* games)

The point is not really the invisible collision part(that looks like a bug), but how the entire car body changes due to a little nudge on the right side.

LordPhoque said:
GT1 only had japanese cars after all. The series have always been japan centric.

:lol I guess I just imagined driving Dodge Vipers and Aston Martins in GT1. Stick to talking about topics where you actually have a clue.

Metalmurphy said:
Pointless comparison. I can do the same thing in other areas and show you that doesn't happen. I'm sure in some areas the same thing happens in F3 as well.

Actually it's pretty spot on. I love GT5 but the "I'm not there" AI is kind of annoying.

jett said:
Surely by competition you don't mean Forza, do you.

308wcud.jpg

LOL i almost forgot about that shit:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

jett said:
The point is not really the invisible collision part(that looks like a bug), but how the entire car body changes dude to a little nudge on the right side.

:lol I guess I just imagined driving Dodge Vipers and Aston Martins in GT1. Stick to talking about topics where you actually have a clue.
so you're telling him to stop posting? harsh dude

Shurs said:
What the fuck are you talking about?

Well, moving on...

Looking up whether that was correct or not turned up this little nugget - "In an Interview with Kazunori Yamauchi, development of the game started in the second half of 1992, and took 5 years to complete with a team of seven to fifteen people, at different times."

How things have changed, yet simultaneously stayed the same.

Shurs said:
It's yet another example of how misinformed you are.

I was right about the AI (see video), how is this being misinformed ? Now don't be mad.
And I wasn't saying this to downplay GT, it's always been japan centric, whether people like it or not.
Jeez, so defensive during the last few days...
EDIT : http://www.gtplanet.net/guides/index.php/Gran_Turismo_1_:_Car_List
Lol. 80% of the roster is japanese, this explains the memories.

LordPhoque said:
I was right about the AI (see video), how is this being misinformed ? Now don't be mad.
And I wasn't saying this to downplay GT, it's always been japan centric, whether people like it or not.
EDIT : http://www.gtplanet.net/guides/index.php/Gran_Turismo_1_:_Car_List
Lol. 80% of the roster is japanese, this explains the memories.

You're as annoying as any obvious troll in the thread.

LCfiner

Lagspike_exe said:
Seems like Insertia got banned.

I thought I remembered that there was a line drawn, in this otherwise wild thread, between trolling the games and trolling the people making these games.

Shurs

LordPhoque said:

You also said there was no mechanical damage in GT5, which is bullshit.

You could at least be humorous with your trolling like some of the other people in this thread.

Shurs said:
You also said there was no mechanical damage in GT5, which is bullshit.

You could at least be humorous with your trolling like some other people in this thread.

Like the guy who was banned ? Yeah right.
With people like you, trolling/comparisons (which is the purpose of this thread) will only be alright coming from one particular side. ;)

Shurs

LordPhoque said:
Like the guy who was banned ? Yeah right.
With people like you, trolling/comparisons (which is the purpose of this thread) will only be alright coming from one particular side. ;)

It's more that you are seemingly wrong more times than you are right in this thread. Yet you keep coming back.

You just fling shit at the wall hoping something will stick.

LyR

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Pointless comparison. I can do the same thing in other areas and show you that doesn't happen. I'm sure in some areas the same thing happens in F3 as well.

well unfortunately not, I experienced the awful AI without even trying to challenge them to do stupid stuff ...

Don't get me wrong I like GT5 much more than Forza 3, but the AI is the only thing where I prefer Forza

Just hope for a patch to fix the AI routine and maybe including a freelook 3rd person camera (moving the camera with the right stick) I actually just use the cockpit view but it still would be nice to have the option

les papillons sexuels said:
I don't get what's so funny about this? It's a graphic glitch, the car model is off axis from the physical model.

obviously you never had a memory of seeing that kinda shit first hand and bustin out laughing, o well

flyinpiranha said:
Actually it's pretty spot on. I love GT5 but the "I'm not there" AI is kind of annoying.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13132520&postcount=8644

That's Prologue, AI is even better now. Not great for sure, they react slowly to you (but not other AIs) most of the time, but it's definatly not "I'm on there" AI,

LyR said:
well unfortunately not, I experienced the awful AI without even trying to challenge them to do stupid stuff ...

Don't get me wrong I like GT5 much more than Forza 3, but the AI is the only thing where I prefer Forza

Just hope for a patch to fix the AI routine and maybe including a freelook 3rd person camera (moving the camera with the right stick) I actually just use the cockpit view but it still would be nice to have the option

That option already exists. Just map it to the controller.

lord pie

jett said:
The point is not really the invisible collision part(that looks like a bug), but how the entire car body changes dude to a little nudge on the right side.

I don't think it's a bug. It'll just be a limit of the saved replay. Because saving a replay takes valuable memory, it'll be treated just like online play - compressed to all heck.

I'd agree the damage is limited, being localised to the four major directions. It'll be a tradeoff between a dynamic system and simply using artist produced damange levels (with forza choosing the later).

As with all things both have pros and cons, a dynamic system will certainly produce better localised damage but will be harder to control and more expensive - and could easily produce average results, whereas artist controlled damage will be more controllable (which won't be as risky, eg would no doubt help for manufacturer agreements, etc).

Of course you can always mix both, but that's even more work (time + money! :D ).

Yoritomo

Yoritomo said:
GT5's physics start showing their shallowness when you get racing tires or any of the dirt/snow races.

Yes I'm quoting myself but I realized skid recovery force was on for some godamned reason. WHY AREN'T there universal settings for GT5? So I'm full of shit and racing tires are just fine. I stand by the dirt comment but that's only with comparison to RBR.

Shurs said:
It's more that you are seemingly wrong more times than you are right in this thread. Yet you keep coming back.

You just fling shit at the wall hoping something will stick.

No I'm not. Being so defensive about GT1, seriously ? Last time I played the game, it was more than ten years ago. Yet the roster is still 80% japanese, it's normal not to remember the 15 western cars of the game.
Now about AI, was I wrong ? A lot of reviews are stating the same thing as I do. And aren't mechanical damages being added in a patch or something ? Didn't see anything as good as FM3 in this department anyway.
Stop being butthurt and face the facts. GT5 is not as good as expected and more importantly (it's the subject of this thread after all) not as good as FM3. I'll still enjoy it as I enjoyed previous entries in the series though. And competition is good, maybe this time they'll play other games on the market before shipping GT6.

ShapeGSX

Just fired up GT5 for the first time. Loved the intro video. The UI is horrible, particularly in "My Home." The mish-mash of oddly shaped rectangles, and perplexing icons without text is awful. Then having to hit circle and then X to confirm to exit a menu (but only sometimes) makes no sense to me.

The shadows are really chunky. Distractingly so. I'm surprised that they couldn't manage to blur the shadows to mask the chunkiness.

The robot they got to play Jeff Gordon is going to haunt my nightmares.

The go karts are fun, and I love how when you hit someone or hit the brakes, the viewpoint moves forward. They are nearly impossible to control with a Dual Shock, though. I have an old blue PS2 Logitech steering wheel that I'll have to give a try.

Requeim

LordPhoque said:
Stop being butthurt and face the facts. GT5 is not as good as expected and more importantly (it's the subject of this thread after all) not as good as FM3.

how the fuck is any of this a fact

you're the biggest troll of all dude, jesus fucking christ

LyR

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
That option already exists. Just map it to the controller.

really ?! I mapped the left/right D-Pad for looking left/right and the L1 button for looking back

what I meant was a real (fluent) controlable camera, like in forza and pretty much every other racing game on the market

maybe PD were afraid that the framerate would suffer from fast camera movements

ShapeGSX said:
Just fired up GT5 for the first time. Loved the intro video. The UI is horrible, particularly in "My Home." The mish-mash of oddly shaped rectangles, and perplexing icons without text is awful. Then having to hit circle and then X to confirm to exit a menu (but only sometimes) makes no sense to me.

The shadows are really chunky. Distractingly so. I'm surprised that they couldn't manage to blur the shadows to mask the chunkiness.

The robot they got to play Jeff Gordon is going to haunt my nightmares.

The go karts are fun, and I love how when you hit someone or hit the brakes, the viewpoint moves forward. They are nearly impossible to control with a Dual Shock, though. I have an old blue PS2 Logitech steering wheel that I'll have to give a try.

Yeah, suuuuure you played the game?

LyR said:
really ?! I mapped the left/right D-Pad for looking left/right and the L1 button for looking back

what I meant was a real (fluent) controlable camera, like in forza and pretty much every other racing game on the market

How do you expect fluent if you map it to the d-pad? Map it to the analogue and you'll have full control.

cgcg

LyR said:

You have to map it to the right stick. Dpad is only on and off for camera control.

torontoml

LordPhoque said:
I ignore it because I do not play Forza in slowmotion.
But it has nothing to with it being in slow motion, its just easier to point out the predetermined instantly changing damage on the entire front end when he only hit on the corner.

Shurs

LordPhoque said:
Stop being butthurt and face the facts. GT5 is not as good as expected and more importantly (it's the subject of this thread after all) not as good as FM3.

:lol

I see you've earned a tag.

Congratulations. Your hard work in this thread has paid off.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Requeim said:
how the fuck is any of this a fact

you're the biggest troll of all dude, jesus fucking christ
None of that he said is fact, and LordPhoque is pretty damn opinionated, but your wrong. The biggest troll of all time is (was?) Inertia.

And can someone explain to me what's wrong in that gif of the R8 and 911?

mil6es

enzo_gt said:
None of that he said is fact, and LordPhoque is pretty damn opinionated, but your wrong. The biggest troll of all time is (was?) Inertia.

Insta-Damage (pointing out Forza's damage is seriously nothing to shout about )

R8 Invisa-shield ( you cant see it but its there):lol

Hawk269

Alot of bickering from both camps.

Poly and Turn 10 should get together and make the ultimate racing game..this would end all this crap!

Both games are very good and the flaws of each keep them pretty competitive. For every win some can argue the same for the other game. In the end, the gamers ultimately win because Turn 10 and Poly are going to push themselves to do better with each game.

They are both GREAT games...The End!

LCfiner

enzo_gt said:

it shows how a light contact between cars results in a very simple decal swap on the cars, implying that the damage model is too simplistic to be of any value.

to which I say, I still prefer Forza’s damage to GT5.

I prefer the ability to penalize the player with damage and how it can cause actual performance problems like lowered speed and stability/ straight line driving problems. even for love taps against other cars while at speed.

damage in GT5 can be more impressive visually with body panels deforming but it’s still totally possible to play bumper cars in the game and not have any ill effects with your car. it also seems like you have to ram your car at a million miles an hour in order to dent a fender as shown in the more impressive screenshots.

if the mech damage only unlocks at level 20, then I’d say that’s a horrible design decision from PD. it takes a whole lot of playing to get to level 20. a feature as important as mech damage should be available from the beginning.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
mil6es said:
Insta-Damage (pointing out Forza's damage is seriously nothing to shout about )

R8 Invisa-shield ( you cant see it but its there):lol
Oh I see it now.. but really, Phoque's right on that one, who the hell notices that shit when it's going 10x faster? That's picking at hairs of Forza, no legit argument there.

Though the invisishield/hitbox is odd. Never happens when you collide into another car sideways or from behind.

Shurs

enzo_gt said:
Oh I see it now.. but really, Phoque's right on that one, who the hell notices that shit when it's going 10x faster? That's picking at hairs of Forza, no legit argument there.

Though the invisishield/hitbox is odd. Never happens when you collide into another car sideways or from behind.

We've been staring at single screenshots all thread but now it's not okay to look at a Gif because we play the games in motion?

LCfiner

Class_A_Ninja said:
'dem cones

I'm in love with the game, but we are all in this thread for the laughs.

which reminds me… FM3 doesn’t have the godawful lotus elise top gear challenge. that alone may have earned it at least 2.5 extra metacritic points...

ShapeGSX

Class_A_Ninja said:
I'm in love with the game, but we are all in this thread for the laughs.

Ok, I was wondering about the cones. I hit them in the first license test and the car jumped to the side. I've hit plenty of cones while autocrossing, and I've never once had one alter the course of my vehicle. How heavy are they, exactly?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hawk269 said:
Alot of bickering from both camps.

Poly and Turn 10 should get together and make the ultimate racing game..this would end all this crap!

Both games are very good and the flaws of each keep them pretty competitive. For every win some can argue the same for the other game. In the end, the gamers ultimately win because Turn 10 and Poly are going to push themselves to do better with each game.

They are both GREAT games...The End!
They are both great games. No one is arguing that.

Oh no wait, people are arguing that because they're two busy dickriding eachother's camps. Comparisons are one thing, but when people say Forza 3's graphics are "abysmal" or a bunch of GT screenshots are enough to make the game "not worth picking up" is just fucking shameful.

LCfiner said:
it shows how a light contact between cars results in a very simple decal swap on the cars, implying that the damage model is too simplistic to be of any value.
I'm kinda shocked that people need a gif to show them it's a decal swap, as if no one has noticed this themselves playing up until now?
Shurs said:
We've been staring at single screenshots all thread and now it's not okay to look at a Gif because we play the games in motion?
No, you guys can look at the gif all you want and nitpick away. I'm just saying at 10x that speed it has zero effect on gameplay and still looks like a damn collision. And like I already said, the invisi-shield on the corner of the Audi IS odd. It shouldn't be there. I guess I'm just accustomed to it being in so many other driving games I play.

jett

D-Member
As far as visual damage goes GT5 has a good foundation, with real-time deformation calculated depending on the angle of the crash. The one thing PD needs to do is decrease the amount of hits the cars need to exhibit considerable damage...to like ONE fucking hit instead of 50.

Well that and get rid of the bumper physics.

Top Bottom