• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Let's stop and take a moment to realize what's happened here. Inertia actually managed to get himself banned for behaviour in a thread that was specifically created to be an outlet for trollish behaviour.

That takes skill. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
jett said:
As far as visual damage goes GT5 has a good foundation, with real-time deformation calculated depending on the angle of the crash. The one thing PD needs to do is decrease the amount of hits the cars need to exhibit considerable damage...to like ONE fucking hit instead of 50.

Well that and get rid of the bumper physics.
This is the main reason why the damage lags behind the damage in Forza. And that 800 of the cars don't have body parts that come off. Otherwise if they implemented it properly, it would have the superior damage model.

enzo_gt said:
This is the main reason why the damage lags behind the damage in Forza. And that 800 of the cars don't have body parts that come off. Otherwise if they implemented it properly, it would have the superior damage model.

I think if they were to blend both the destructible models that forza uses and the deformation texture method that gt uses you'd be able to get some extremely good looking destruction.

Jonsoncao

Banned
LyR said:
AI comparison

for me the only thing Forza 3 has going for it

in GT5 they really act like you don't exist
this, being frustrated in S licenses a lot...

you drive boldly, they dont see you
you drive cautiously, they dont see you either

but in GT5 AI cars behave quite nice against AI cars

What PD have done with damage is, in essence, the way to go. And when it actually occurs it's very impressive indeed. But like jett said, they just need to patch it to make it more sensitive. I'd be shocked if that wasn't forthcoming in one of the upcoming patches.

One thing I would've liked to see more of is swap-in scratch mark decals for mnor damage and scrapes.

shinnn

jett said:
As far as visual damage goes GT5 has a good foundation, with real-time deformation calculated depending on the angle of the crash. The one thing PD needs to do is decrease the amount of hits the cars need to exhibit considerable damage...to like ONE fucking hit instead of 50.

you forgot the clipping issues.. no broken windows/headlights..

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Metalmurphy said:
That's Prologue, AI is even better now. Not great for sure, they react slowly to you (but not other AIs) most of the time, but it's definatly not "I'm on there" AI.

My experience with GT5 AI so far has been like any other GT. Went perpendicular to a sidewall yesterday and one drove into me, then kept trying to push forward rather than going around me.

shinnn said:

Broken headlights would be grand, bit I imagine it's tougher to implement when you habe to plan for contingent effects since the cars actually use their headlights in GT5. Not sure how they get around that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
shinnn said:
Headlights don't break but the bumpers and hoods around them deform dynamically? Say what? Is this for all cars?

shinnn

enzo_gt said:
Headlights don't break but the bumpers and hoods around them deform dynamically? Say what? Is this for all cars?
I don't have the game so... but I saw this on the GT5 thread:

"Here are some shots I've taken some minutes ago after crashing a Ferrari F40 for almost 21 minutes. I tried to do possibly everthing and the car almost flipped over twice"

EklF4.jpg

yRWS3.jpg

RUqhB.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24603775&postcount=12953

looks like the body deformation is limited to front/back of the cars too.

jett said:

It really boggles the mind as to why it's currently this way... I mean, the hard part is done, this is just simple coding, it WAS a game play design choice, that... well... makes no sense at all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is the F40 premium or standard?

If premium, PD just trolled everyone about their dynamic damage system and deformation using jargon.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tarazet said:
Premium. ;(
SMH.

So, PD lied and damage is even inconsistent across premium models. Where's the deformation and dislodging of parts? Does anyone have a link to a video with such that isn't a trailer?

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
enzo_gt said:
SMH.

So, PD lied and damage is even inconsistent across premium models. Where's the deformation and dislodging of parts? Does anyone have a link to a video with such that isn't a trailer?

Real damage unlocks at level 40 apparently.

enzo_gt said:
SMH.

Are you blind? There's clear deformation and dislodging of parts on that F40 oO

Btw, you guys can't tell it's premium just by looking at it?

This is what a standard F40 looks like

http://imgur.com/byW1H.jpg

I kid I kid :p

Shurs

enzo_gt said:
SMH.

What level are you in GT5?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Conceited said:
Why..? Is this to hold the player's hand throughout the single player? I just don't understand this stuff about damage unlocking at level 10 or something and then REAL damage at level 40. Seriously, wtf?

Metalmurphy said:
Are you blind? There's clear deformation and dislodging of parts on that F40 oO

Btw, you guys can't tell it's premium just by looking at it?

This is what a standard F40 looks like

http://imgur.com/byW1H.jpg

I kid I kid :p
:lol
To be fair though, the F40 isn't one of those cars you can immediately see TONS of detail on from afar :lol

Shurs said:
What level are you in GT5?
Zero. I don't own the game. Thats why I ask, because I want to see dislodging of body parts in-game.

mintylurb

jakonovski said:
I went on the internet and found this:

HhITM.jpg
Oh lawdy..haha

Shurs said:

I see you've earned a tag.

Congratulations. Your hard work in this thread has paid off.
Haha. That tag's been a long time coming. I remember him crying in certain alan wake thread because some folks were pointing out that alan wake is indeed sub-hd after the pixel counters at b3d pretty much confirmed it..now that's butt hurt. :lol

enzo_gt said:
Is the F40 premium or standard?

If premium, PD just trolled everyone about their dynamic damage system and deformation using jargon.
Maybe you'll need to level up more before you can start breaking headlights, windshields, etc..over 9000! lulz. Anyway, that F40 deformation looks rather terrible.

Zaptruder

Banned
Conceited said:

STOP. What does this mean?

'Real damage'? As in, take a hit at 50km/h and the F40 would look like that? Because that's *realistic*.

Or are we talking about 'real' relative to the 'unreal' version... i.e. you take that kind of damage after a couple of 100km/h hits rather than 50.

GT design decisions constantly frustrate and bewilder.

enzo_gt said:
Zero. I don't own the game. Thats why I ask, because I want to see dislodging of body parts in-game.

Bitch please. You're just going to continue making that argument until it's absolutely perfect.

And even then, you're not going to stop at the simulation aspects; you'll cite menus and music selection and loading times as reasons for not wanting to bother. So stop the pretense; you're free to do so in this thread.

enzo_gt said:
Why..? Is this to hold the player's hand throughout the single player? I just don't understand this stuff about damage unlocking at level 10 or something and then REAL damage at level 40. Seriously, wtf?

To be fair though, the F40 isn't one of those cars you can immediately see TONS of detail on from afar :lol

If by dislodging you mean actually falling off? That only happens on rally and race cars. But dislodging as in getting separated without falling off happens in all premiums.

schennmu said:
Btw, what are the big differences in tuning/customization I keep hearing about (aside from livery editor and maybe engine/brake swapping which I don't consider big)? It's been some time since I played Forza and don't remember big differences. Tuning options in GT5 are well above GT4.

Of course no answer. But how would people in this thread know! :lol

enzo_gt said:
What's amazing about this comparison is that, this means GT5 is bottom tier even though it doesn't deserve to be.

Fei Long bottom tier? Get your facts straight!

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/17/street-fighter-4-tiers-character-rankings/

Also AZ Greg, limit your trolling to Vega. From what I've seen you do that so much better :D

LCfiner said:
which reminds me… FM3 doesn’t have the godawful lotus elise top gear challenge. that alone may have earned it at least 2.5 extra metacritic points...

It has been the best thing in the game for me so far because it requires you to master a difficult car. So rewarding.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Zaptruder said:
Bitch please. You're just going to continue making that argument until it's absolutely perfect.

And even then, you're not going to stop at the simulation aspects; you'll cite menus and music selection and loading times as reasons for not wanting to bother. So stop the pretense; you're free to do so in this thread.
:lol U mad bro? I think u mad. :lol What fucking argument are you talking about? I want to see damage and dislodging because I had a feeling I've seen it somewhere and:
Metalmurphy said:
If by dislodging you mean actually falling off? That only happens on rally and race cars. But dislodging as in getting separated without falling off happens in all premiums.
There I got my real reply.

Now you get mad because I'm asking for someone to link me to a video with separation of body parts from the body of the car? SMH. The menus do look cluttered, but I could give a shit less, and from the GB Quicklook I watched, the load times are pretty long, but they're on par with that of Forza 3 when both games are not installed. I don't care for perfection, I care for consistency. Frankly, damage is more meaningful to me when its mechanic, as no game I've seen so far has proper damage modeling that feels REAL to me. Forza has damage, and it's a nice touch, but if I want to be immersed the way both Turn10 and PD want us to believe theyre immersing, games need to do full dynamic collisions. For every single car in the game. I'd take damage out of Forza if they added 200 more of my favorite cars I like in the game. So please, make a coherent argument about something tangible before finding a reason to vent.

Shurs said:
For fuck's sake. :lol
Another person definitely mad.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Shurs said:
For fuck's sake. :lol
You can easily tell who owns/played the game and vice-versa . This thread is great though, drop in couple of times a day to get my daily laughs as well. :lol

Hey Enzo, do you like racing sims? If you do, I hear that GT5 game on PS3 is pretty good! ;)

The whole damage thing is indeed beyond ridiculous though. First people said it's level 10, then it was level 20 and now it's level 40 for real damage? WTF! Haven't seen any damage worth of note in my copy, that's for sure. Fix that shit Guerilla! Oh, and stop bitching about menus based on that horrible Gamestop video!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shurs said:
I'm not mad.

Unlike you I own both games.

I just think it's funny that you're acting upset about something you have no clue about.
I don't have any clue about the damage in GT5? Is that so? So damage and seperation of body parts is consistent for all cars in GT5 then?

Metalmurphy says only race cars and rally cars have actual dislodging of body parts. So, therefore not all the premium models have the same level of damage. Therefore there is inconsistency.

Yup. No clue.
schennmu said:
Hey Enzo, do you like racing sims? If you do, I hear that GT5 game on PS3 is pretty good! ;)

The whole damage thing is indeed beyond ridiculous though. First people said it's level 10, then it was level 20 and now it's level 40 for real damage? WTF! Haven't seen any damage worth of note in my copy, that's for sure. Fix that shit Guerilla! Oh, and stop bitching about menus based on that horrible Gamestop video!
I like racing games in general, and am itching to get my hands on GT5. I nearly came watching the active aero work on the Enzo. This was me when I saw that:
03HrG.gif

Also, Guerilla? What? :D

schennmu said:

How long does it take to level up to 40?

Shurs

enzo_gt said:
I don't have any clue about the damage in GT5? Is that so? So damage and seperation of body parts is consistent for all cars in GT5 then?

The F40 has deformation, as do all Premium cars.

Race and rally cars have dislodging of body parts.

Standard cars have scratches and visible damage, but no deformation and no dislodging of parts.

enzo_gt said:
I like racing games in general, and am itching to get my hands on GT5. I nearly came watching the active aero work on the Enzo. This was me when I saw that:
03HrG.gif

Also, Guerilla? What? :D

Good, go out and buy the game, see the awesome for yourself. Guerilla is a KZ2 reference ;)

ExtraKr1spy said:
How long does it take to level up to 40?

A good amount of hours. And I doubt that it's actually true.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shurs said:
The F40 has deformation, as do all Premium cars.

Race and rally cars have dislodging of body parts.

Standard cars have scratches and visible damage, but no deformation and no dislodging of parts.
Exactly. PD (or the OT for GT5 specifically) states that, all premium cars have dislodging AND deformation of body parts. I can clearly see the deformation on the F40, but none of the dislodging, which I now know only pertains to racing/rally cars. This may not bother you if you've been keeping up with the game to learn all of this along the way but, my point is that these inconsistencies exist, and shouldn't exist. Nor should standard/premium, and I'd go vent about that too but it's been done to death.

The fact that PD has been unclear and has avoided this topic in so many interview up until release, and even the fact that people aren't even sure when "real damage" unlocks is absolutely absurd. The fact that there is "real damage" (or is there?) is absolutely absurd, and I don't know how anyone can't be upset with this. But I suppose since you guys own the game and are playing it, you could care less because, we'll lets face it you guys ARE playing the Duke Nukem Forever of the racing genre at the moment.

schennmu said:
Good, go out and buy the game, see the awesome for yourself. Guerilla is a KZ2 reference ;)
Go buy my broke ass a PS3 and we'll talk ;)

Shurs

enzo_gt said:
Exactly. PD (or the OT for GT5 specifically) states that, all premium cars have dislodging AND deformation of body parts. I can clearly see the deformation on the F40, but none of the dislodging, which I now know only pertains to racing/rally cars. This may not bother you if you've been keeping up with the game to learn all of this along the way but, my point is that these inconsistencies exist, and shouldn't exist. Nor should standard/premium, and I'd go vent about that too but it's been done to death.

The fact that PD has been unclear and has avoided this topic in so many interview up until release, and even the fact that people aren't even sure when "real damage" unlocks is absolutely absurd. The fact that there is "real damage" (or is there?) is absolutely absurd, and I don't know how anyone can't be upset with this. But I suppose since you guys own the game and are playing it, you could care less because, we'll lets face it you guys ARE playing the Duke Nukem Forever of the racing genre at the moment.

Go buy my broke ass a PS3 and we'll talk ;)

So much anger over a game on a platform you don't own. It's funny.

enzo_gt said:
But I suppose since you guys own the game and are playing it, you could care less because, we'll lets face it you guys ARE playing the Duke Nukem Forever of the racing genre at the moment.

....Go buy my broke ass a PS3 and we'll talk ;)

Most of the complaints in this thread are ridiculous fanboy bullshit and will vanish when you start to realize what a monster of a racing game PD has created here. Yes, the game is THAT awesome. No other racing game can replicate a 16 players online Ferrari race on a perfectly modeled Nürburgring at dawn, the subtle sunlight contrasting with the perfect looking cars. It's an almost erotic experience! :lol Every racing fan should get the chance to experience it. That said, the damage situation is one of the few things that actually pisses me off. I was looking forward to it and it should have been glorious. The current situation is a joke and it needs to be patched/cleared up. And another pro tip: Bitching so much about GT5 without owning the system is... questionable!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shurs said:
So much anger over a game on a platform you don't own. It's funny.
You say anger, I say disappointment.

When you realize the influence this game can have on future driving games, let's just say I don't want premium and standard cars and segregation of features like damage to show up in other games in the future. And GT5 IS an influential game. PD should be moving gaming forward instead of inventing stupid bullshit like the distinction between standard and premium. It's a step backward, that no one did in the past. And if you say "standard doesn't look that bad, your just overreacting," then you don't get my point about the segregation of a featureset.

Take for example: COD4 had a huge influence on FPSs, as we all know. Though some maps were completely unavailable to play offline simply because we were offline. The developers said, hey this map isn't suited to you, even though there are no technical limitations or good reasons why you can't play on some of these larger maps, so we'll just restrict this. Halo Reach rolls around and there are distinct Firefight, and Multiplayer maps. Some of the Firefight maps would be pretty awesome if I had the chance of tweaking them myself for multiplayer gaming play, but no, the devs restrict us. Would have taken a few seconds for the devs to forge up some spawns and let the community do the rest, as the Halo community usually does, but no. As a result, the multiplayer matchmaking now suffers from a lack of big maps that could easily have been some of the Firefight maps, tinkered with in forge.
chubigans said:
Actually standard cars DO have deformation. However the parts dont dislodge so it looks a little odd.
The saga continues, oh my.
schennmu said:
Bitching so much about GT5 without owning the system is... questionable!
I'd love to see all those bitching about Forza to come out and say that they haven't played it. Ofcourse, that won't happen, would require those trolls to get off of their high horse. Though I've only commented on the observable, you don't see me in here like GT5 FIZZICKS SUCK COMPAERD TO FORZA LOLL|.

watership

C-Jo said:
Yikes. The deformation looks great on the body, but not so much on headlights.

Some of that looks like someone was using the smudge tool in Photoshop. I do like the panels crumpling tho. That's probably the future of damage in sims.

DuckRacer

I'm at level 16 in career mode and have cleared most of the events in the first three tiers (out of five), and there's some slight deformation and no mechanical damage if you hit a wall head-on at, say, 140mph. (There's almost certainly a lower threshold for deformation, but I've hit walls at around 60mph and not suffered a scratch, so...) It seems like the AI uses the same system, levels 0-9 they were as dumb as rocks and constantly ran into me, and now... they're still stupid (nothing like GT5P), but it's difficult to tell if they're actually smarter or if it's because I'm out-tuning them and rabbiting ahead, and thus giving them less opportunities to rear-end me.

tbh I don't know why we don't start with the full damage system and intelligent AI to begin with. I know Kaz Yamauchi wanted to make an RPG and some RPG-like elements have made their way into GT5, but this is a tad far. At the very least they should give us the choice of full and realistic damage, cosmetic-only damage and no damage at all. And then AI settings ranging from pro to babby mode or whatever.

The physics model is really spectacular though, and the improvements they made re: the sense of speed combined with the cockpit view and a good wheel create an amazing experience. MS really needs to create a 900º wheel for 360 or at least find some way to bypass the hardware issues blocking DFP/G25/etc use.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Forza 3 damage is pretty inconsistent across cars also.

Last night I was racing the Koenigsegg CCX on Le Mans, down the long straight. Sorta wasn't paying attention so I slammed into a wall at 370ish KPH, and got a few scratches.

Fëanor

I don't know how realistic the damage is in Shift (probably not very realistic:lol ), but I was messing around with the damage and being a dick to the AI lol. It was amusing.

TAKE IT Forza and Gran Turismo!

shift2010-11-2800-50-5kiwz.png

shift2010-11-2800-49-2qew0.png

Haunted

Fëanor said:
I don't know how realistic the damage is in Shift (probably not very realistic:lol ), but I was messing around with the damage and being a dick to the AI lol. It was amusing.

TAKE IT Forza and Gran Turismo!

shift2010-11-2800-50-5kiwz.png

shift2010-11-2800-49-2qew0.png
Grid, Shift and especially Burnout Paradise have superior looking damage modelling implementation to Forza/GT, it's not a contest, really.

I guess its priority for the respective developers comes with the territory of the games being simcade/simcade/arcade instead of pure simulations. They're really emphasising the focus on racing and action.

I was disappointed with Split/Second in that regard, it had only rudimentary damage modelling in comparison to the games mentioned before, cheaply scratching and swapping out textures/models that didn't look very convincing at all.

jett said:

Agreed on both counts. The tech is there, it's the implementation that's lacking, especially compared to its competitors (and the rest of GT5's own premium content). But this is their first attempt at damage modelling, so I'm sure they can and will reiterate and improve on that in the future
GT6

Top Bottom