• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

CozMick

Banned
soundscream said:
Thats a feature I thought you would know what a feature is after you wrote out your carefully cherry picked feature list on Why GT5 is godly and Forza3 is a mere mortal.

A feature of a driving game is NO STEERING WHEEL?!?!?!

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:lol :lol :lol :lol

shinnn

CozMick said:
Gran Turismo 5 :

16 cars on track at once.
Rain
Snow
Night racing
day/night cycle
1080p
Kart Racing
NASCAR
World Rally Championship
8mp Photo mode
16 player Multiplayer online
1000+ cars
Course Creator
Licenses
Spectator mode
Working headlights, windscreen wipers
Updates for "months and years to come"
B-Spec RPG element
Stereoscopic 3D

Forza Motorsport 3 :

8 players on track at once.
720p
Livery editor
Auction house
400+ cars
Drag racing
Matchmaking
Rewind

Spin it anyway you want, with texture zooming or pixel counting, GT5 is in a league of it's own.

Everything else is just an opinion!
so the youtube thing was a lie?

Xav

More or less finished Forza 3 and played a few hours of GT5. My opinion (and I'm not a massive sim racer fan) is that GT5 simply tries to do too much while Forza 3 is just a more well rounded game. GT5 is an ambitious game but that's ultimately it's downfall.

rvy

Banned
kazuma_pt said:
that video has a duration of 5:50. i don't wanna bother watching, just tell me what's wrong with it:D
You can see what's wrong in the first few seconds by looking at the stage. I'm going to repeat myself, but whatever. My issues with GT 5 are merely cosmetic, there's nothing wrong with the rest.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Yes, and that's a good thing. Not because I think Forza is better or worse (out of all modern racing sims, I've only played GT4), but because they seem to be evolving in different directions. And that's fantastic because both directions seem very worthy.

But please don't try to peddle that "Kaz is a god" nonsense, you definitely have no right to anymore. One thing that I have always found absurd was GT fanatics claiming how GT and PD are in a wholly different league compared to all other racing developers and franchises. How Kaz would never release a game until it was polished to sheer perfection. How Forza is only good for passing time between GT releases.

From everything I've seen and read about it, I'd say GT5 is a great game - flawed, but great - and I'm very glad that it turned out that way. Fans of both franchises will benefit from it, either directly or indirectly. But for the sake of sensible discussion, I'm also glad that from now on whenever a deluded fanboy tries to sell me some ridiculous nonsense about PD being so far ahead of everyone else, I'll be able to laugh in their face even more heartily than before. And no sane person will be able to judge me for it.

Good post. Trust me I have had nuff arguments with them GT fanboys. When GT4 was released I would point out how the A.I is a joke and it was way behind PC driving sims and none of them would have any of it. In there eyes PD is the only development team that know how to develop/design a driving sim.

CozMick said:
Gran Turismo 5 :

16 cars on track at once.
Rain
Snow
Night racing
day/night cycle
1080p
Kart Racing
NASCAR
World Rally Championship
8mp Photo mode
16 player Multiplayer online
1000+ cars
Course Creator
Licenses
Spectator mode
Working headlights, windscreen wipers
Updates for "months and years to come"
B-Spec RPG element
Stereoscopic 3D

Spin it anyway you want, with texture zooming or pixel counting, GT5 is in a league of it's own.

There are counters to each individual point your brought up.

-1080p, but Screen tearing.
-16 cars on screen at once, but low quality shadow effects & aliasing problems.
-1000+ cars of which only 200 of them look like they were made this gen & the rest range from good to PSOne quality.
-Day/night cycle, but not for every track or race (?)
-No damage modeling at the start of the game.
-Robotic A.I. that you can bounce off during corners.

I'm a huge GT fan & GT4 was probably in my favorite top 5 games of all of last gen, but I can admit GT5 is NOWHERE in a league of it's own.

CozMick said:
A feature of a driving game is NO STEERING WHEEL?!?!?!

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Yes intended to bring more casual people into the fold. If you haven't noticed outside of Forza and GT many recent racing games have not sold well. There is a disconnect between the casual fan and the enthusiast. By adding different assist like driving lines (in both games) automatic breaking, rewind and soon to be kinect support they are trying to add more casuals to the fold.

All of these features can be turned off or avoided, and any self respecting racing fan will do so, but their availability is not something to shun. Racing Fans need to have a big tent where everyone can join.

See You Next Wednesday said:

-1000+ cars of which only 200 of them look like they were made this gen & the rest range from good to PSOne quality.

I'm a huge GT fan & GT4 was probably in my favorite top 5 games of all of last gen, but I can admit GT5 is NOWHERE in a league of it's own.

Aliasing problems? Only with transparencies. Forza's? Everywhere.

4xMSAA + 2x temporal SSAA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2xMSAA.

List wars, this shit finally got real.

Shit-just-got-real.jpg

GT5 should have really stuck to 720p w/2xAA and upped the shadow resolution/filtering, reflection map resolution and transparency effects as well. While they've got the lighting model down pretty good, the low resolution of the aformentioned effects pretty much ruin any chance of mistaking what you're seeing for real video. In photomode, everything looks outstanding, and I think they probably could've been closer to that if they didn't try to stick to 1080p.

nib95

Banned
See You Next Wednesday said:

There's around 235(?) Premium cars and about 400+ good to great looking standard cars, some even remodelled and re-textured. There's only a small minority that look really bad. For example, I have around 30 standard cars in my garage, only 3 look bad. Possibly because Polyphony forgot to re-texture the cars.

What does it matter if damage is unlocked from the start? P.S since the patch it's in Arcade mode from the begininning now.

You can bounce off cars just as easy in F3 than you can in GT5, so I don't get this complaint. Just because the damage modelling is slightly different, lets not fool ourselves in to thinking otherwise. In-fact, whilst the mechanical damage might not be in just yet (will be with a patch later this week, and not like F3's is ultra realistic), physics wise, there's still a big impact. If you're racing in something moderately fast, hitting in to other cars often just sends you out of control or veering off track. At least with assists and TCS off anyway.

Heck, because of that reason most times (unless I'm driving a really slow car), I avoid contact. It is cool how you can pull Police maneuvers and actually corner tail someone off the road though. But you have to get the angle and speed just right.

Lagspike_exe said:
Aliasing problems? Only with transparencies. Forza's? Everywhere.

4xMSAA + 2x temporal SSAA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2xMSAA.

I would say 1080p + sharpen mode produces the cleanest picture. I've tested all the modes anally and that is what I keep coming back to.

Jonsoncao

Banned
the ps360 framerate analysis is out

http://blog.livedoor.jp/ps360/archives/51644734.html

Special stage route 7
Race: Avg: 55.288fps Min-Max :35.5-60 .0 fps Tear: 53.302%
 Replay: Avg: 29.914fps Min-Max :26.0-30 .0 fps Tear: 2.389%

Snow
 Race: Avg: 57.419fps Min-Max :43.5-60 .0 fps Tear: 31.658%
 Replay: Avg: 29.753fps Min-Max :18.5-30 .0 fps Tear: 2.437%

London
 Race: Avg: 57.110fps Min-Max :48.5-60 .0 fps Tear: 53.002%
 Replay: Avg: 29.485fps Min-Max :25.0-30 .0 fps Tear: 10.478%

GT5 Prologue London
 Race: Avg: 60.000fps Min-Max :60.0-60 .0 fps Tear: 0.198%
 Replay: Avg: 29.984fps Min-Max :29.0-30 .0 fps Tear: 1.786%

ColR100

It's quite interesting to see the GT vs Forza 3 review averages.

FM3 looks to be the better game overall, out in front in the total medias opinion by about 4%.

I haven't made my mind up quite yet on GT, but I'm enjoying what I'm playing currently immensely.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
ColR100 said:
It's quite interesting to see the GT3 vs Forza 3 review averages.

FM3 looks to be the better game overall, out in front in the total medias opinion by about 4%.

I haven't made my mind up quite yet on GT3, but I'm enjoying what I'm playing currently immensely.

Well comparing the reviews is a bit iffy because each game is held to a different standard. However, what I think is interesting is that all of the head-to-head reviews agree that FM3 is the better game. Not necessarily the best racing simulator, but the best game with the most to offer.

oatmeal

Banned
Shurs said:
I read it all.

It's one of the most pointless posts in this thread. And that's saying something.

Why?

I'm comparing the games that were out when this thread was created. It's not biased in either way.

Is that why it's pointless? Because it has no bias?

Shit....lemme rewrite it:

GT5ers AM CRY, FORZA IS THE BEST!!11

GRAPHICS
FORZA duh!

SOUND
GT5 vacuum

PRESENTATION
GT should be embarrassed to present anything

OVERALL
LOL @ SONY

goldenpp72

RSTEIN said:
Well comparing the reviews is a bit iffy because each game is held to a different standard. However, what I think is interesting is that all of the head-to-head reviews agree that FM3 is the better game. Not necessarily the best racing simulator, but the best game with the most to offer.

And it only took them like 2 years to make forza 3

antiloop

Jonsoncao said:

Special stage route 7

Snow

London

GT5 Prologue London

55 lowest average? That's damn good and nothing I reach in equally impressive games on my PC. Hope they can remove some of the tearing however

Shurs

oatmeal said:
Why?

I'm comparing the games that were out when this thread was created. It's not biased in either way.

Is that why it's pointless? Because it has no bias?

Shit....lemme rewrite it:

GT5ers AM CRY, FORZA IS THE BEST!!11

GRAPHICS
FORZA duh!

SOUND
GT5 vacuum

PRESENTATION
GT should be embarrassed to present anything

OVERALL
LOL @ SONY

You played 3 hours of Forza 3 and are comparing it to GT5: Prologue; a game destined for obsolescence now that Gran Turismo 5 has been released. It's a stupid comparison.

oatmeal

Banned
Shurs said:
You played 3 hours of Forza 3 and are comparing it to GT5: Prologue; a game destined for obsolescence now that Gran Turismo 5 has been released. It's a stupid comparison.

And I acknowledged that it was based off Prologue and my initial impressions of Forza, as that's all I played.

That's why I posted it.

I'm so sorry for offending you.

lord pie

soundscream said:
Yes intended to bring more casual people into the fold. If you haven't noticed outside of Forza and GT many recent racing games have not sold well. There is a disconnect between the casual fan and the enthusiast. By adding different assist like driving lines (in both games) automatic braking, rewind and soon to be kinect support they are trying to add more casuals to the fold.

All of these features can be turned off or avoided, and any self respecting racing fan will do so, but their availability is not something to shun. Racing Fans need to have a big tent where everyone can join.

Absolutely spot on. :D
Some of our friends were over, he's the exact opposite of your typical gamer (mid 40s business man) yet he's just bought kinect and was excitedly telling me all about 'Forza 11' and how it'll let you use kinect in a bunch of neat ways.

gillty

Banned
Let me try this:

FM3
60 FPS

GT5
NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Racing games that don't employ heavy motion blur (like Hot Pursuit) should always be 60FPS imo.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Yes, and that's a good thing. Not because I think Forza is better or worse (out of all modern racing sims, I've only played GT4), but because they seem to be evolving in different directions. And that's fantastic because both directions seem very worthy.

But please don't try to peddle that "Kaz is a god" nonsense, you definitely have no right to anymore. One thing that I have always found absurd was GT fanatics claiming how GT and PD are in a wholly different league compared to all other racing developers and franchises. How Kaz would never release a game until it was polished to sheer perfection. How Forza is only good for passing time between GT releases.

From everything I've seen and read about it, I'd say GT5 is a great game - flawed, but great - and I'm very glad that it turned out that way. Fans of both franchises will benefit from it, either directly or indirectly. But for the sake of sensible discussion, I'm also glad that from now on whenever a deluded fanboy tries to sell me some ridiculous nonsense about PD being so far ahead of everyone else, I'll be able to laugh in their face even more heartily than before. And no sane person will be able to judge me for it.

i didn't say that kaz was god, i don't think there's any developer in the world that is godlike (yes, even miyamoto, even he produced a few turds). kaz however, did chew more than he could bite with gt5. i still stand by my opinion that his ambitions for gran turismo are far more interesting and "big" than what forza wants to do. and yes, it will be good for gt and forza fans in the long run what gt5 has achieved and failed to do.

ColR100 said:

It's so nice that we have Metacritic. Now Xbox people can go to their PS friends' houses and be all like "Yo bitch, my game is better than yours. How much better? FOUR PERCENT!"

Yeah, it's interesting that this is how things turned out after all the talk of GT5 wiping the floor with Forza, but that doesn't change the fact that metascores are a broken way of comparing games.

kazuma_pt said:
i don't think there's any developer in the world that is godlike (yes, even miyamoto, even he produced a few turds)

Say that about my man Yu Suzuki, I dare you.

antiloop said:
55 lowest average? That's damn good and nothing I reach in equally impressive games on my PC. Hope they can remove some of the tearing however

Keeping my finger crossed for the performance patch on December 1st.

Jonsoncao

Banned
I have another two questions for GT5:

1. no engine sound echoes inside the tunnels? or is it just a bug for stereo speakers?

2. the timer is only me vs AI cars? no me vs my best record on each section?

after playing for straight 4 days, I gotta say this game is far less polished than Forza 3, though they may include more features, but poor implementation ruins everything, from weird UI design to atrocious looking standard cars, I regretted buying the limited edition a lot

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Say that about my man Yu Suzuki, I dare you.

he'll always have a dark place in my heart, because he teased me with shenmue 1/2 and he didn't finish the story.:lol
i kid, but i didn't like some of his racing games. and vf3. but vf4 was a proper return so i guess i can let that one slip:D

kazuma_pt said:
he'll always have a dark place in my heart, because he teased me with shenmue 1/2 and he didn't finish the story.:lol
i kid, but i didn't like some of his racing games. and vf3. but vf4 was a proper return so i guess i can let that one slip:D

So he's a dark deity. Good, I'll accept that.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Jonsoncao said:
I gotta say this game is far less polished than Forza 3, though they may include more features, but poor implementation ruins everything, from weird UI design to atrocious looking standard cars, I regretted buying the limited edition a lot

I'm more or less in the same boat, regular edition but with a DFGT and Wheelstand Pro. I don't mind the UI, but the AI, shadows and transparencies are really bothering me. Should have waited for impressions, but I didn't expect that I'd need to with a GT game.

nib95

Banned
Jonsoncao said:

Special stage route 7

Snow

London

GT5 Prologue London

Tearing is really bad, frame rate is near enough spot on (based on averages only). I'm guessing the big drops only happened during a big pile up or crash or something.

Jonsoncao

Banned
jett said:
...WTF at the screen tearing in London
in nearly every turn with AI cars near, making the turn would make the screen tear right in the middle...I just didnt expect the tearing pct was that high

DeadGzuz

Banned
ColR100 said:

People think a metacritic score decides which game is "best"? So everyone just throws out expectations, year of release, player base longevity, and the fact that the gaming media does not really know how to score racing simulators. My take is they look at the surface - check boxes, but really don't know anything about racing and cars. But the biggest thing GT5 has working against it is every review starts with "Six years in the making and lots of hype...". FM has always been the underdog, and they really helps (along with being a more casual game).

Top Bottom