• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Shaneus

Niks said:
sorry if old.

Gran Turismo 5 vs Forza Motorsports 3: Ferrari F430 @ Nurburgring GP Course
by insidesimeracing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1KVKSIVdK8

Thoughts?
:lol
What's the gist of the video for those of us without YT access?
Edit:
soundscream said:
Forza3 had cockpit shifting animations while in development, but they were not able to get it right in time for release. So what did they do? They took it out and patched it in a couple months after release.
Just realised this once you posted... talk shit about Greenawalt all you want but for either him or his team to cut something like that because it just wasn't right is a pretty bold (and quite professional) move. Better than leaving it in and copping it because the changes were a few ms out.

KHarvey16

Haven't had a chance to play it yet so I don't know if I'd even notice when concentrating on racing, but the shadows are a little distracting just watching it.

isUQR.jpg

G7VQt.jpg

FgrjA.jpg

Niks said:
sorry if old.

by insidesimeracing

Thoughts?

If anything I think this video just proves that neither game has the same look. While GT is attempting realism, forza is bolstering colour saturation.

I give lighting on GT the nod, i give the track in Forza the nod but I don't consider either to actually look better.

jett

D-Member
Metalmurphy said:
Why is it so dark? oO Or is it my monitor >.<

GT5 definitely looks too dark.

I'd say visuals wise GT5 looks more realistic, all those comments about Forza looking too colorful really ring true there.

Sound-wise GT5 fails completely, it sounds nothing like the real thing. Forza is closer.

LCfiner

Niks said:
sorry if old.

by insidesimeracing

Thoughts?

I don’t know which engine sound is more realistic but I really preferred the GT5 sound more than Forza in this video. especially the sound of downshifting when approaching corners. it just feels more aggressive.

visually, it’s no contest. they’re both aiming at realism and GT5 hits it much better. lighting, sky box, geometry, everything.

edit, just saw that RL video. It seems the GT5 engine sound may need to be pitched down an octave or two. :lol I still found it better than the super muffled sounds from that Forza video.

KHarvey16 said:
GT has more natural lighting, F3 sounds a lot better. No idea which is a better representation of the real track.
jesus christ.. i don't understand why the tire-sound in GT5 is still this horrible.

Sound in general is just... like it's from a synthesizer.

viduals: no contest, except for the flickering and low res horrible shadows.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
The red in Forza is pretty bad. Which is something that is noticable in screenshots pretty often.
GT is too dark, which may be the weather I guess.

However, overall I think they look pretty similar.

nib95

Banned
Niks said:
sorry if old.

by insidesimeracing

Thoughts?

Based off of that I'd say visually GT5 is a lot better. F3 looks a bit cartoon like almost. Sounds go to F3, more grunt and meat, though you can't hear the high rpm's as much. Actual visual que's of the driving again, easily GT5. The way the car reacts, slides, shifts weight, reacts to bumps etc. Much better. Track I also think is better in GT5, more realistic, and seems to mould better with the actual car. But that might be due to the car reacting better with the track than the track being more accurate, who knows.

ShapeGSX

The shadows in GT5 are really distracting. Particularly the self shadowing on the side scoop. It's like a 30x30 pixel square. GT5 does have self shadowing, though, whereas Forza doesn't, but it looks terrible. The lighting and car model both loos absolutely amazing, but I keep on looking at the disgusting flickering low resolution shadows.

Jonsoncao said:
yah, GT5 has a superior photomode
so wat?
i still don't understand why people care so much about this photomode.. you can google these cars...
Gamepay wise it's nice to capture a funny or exciting moment. But to just take pictures of a virtual car that looks way better than it looks ingame just seems sooo fucking weird to me..

Sure, the cars look good in that mode. alsmost like the real ones. So?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Niks said:
sorry if old.

by insidesimeracing

Thoughts?
OVERALL, the lighting is better in GT5, but some of the lighting on the steering wheel and the gloves has me perplexed. How the hell is it that bad when the lighting around the dash and stuff is much crisper and much more realistic?

And I vouch for this comparison. Best one yet, since InsideSimRacing is much less biased than the trolls in this thread.

LCfiner

Always-honest said:
i still don't understand why people care so much about this photomode.. you can google these cars...
Gamepay wise it's nice to capture a funny or exciting moment. But to just take pictures of a virtual car that looks way better than it looks ingame just seems sooo fucking weird to me..

Sure, the cars look good in that mode. alsmost like the real ones. So?

I like photomode because it’s fun to try to think of new angles and shots. it’s not for everyone but I’m glad it’s there.

like the Forza livery editor - although the livery editor requires more talent to get impressive results.

edit:

enzo_gt said:
And I vouch for this comparison. Best one yet, since InsideSimRacing is much less biased than the trolls in this thread.

I look forward to their analysis of the handling of the two games since they have lots of experience comparing to PC sims. should be interesting.

WinFonda

GT5 looks better to any sane person but jesus that guy needs to adjust his brightness up a little on the game. Looks like he took it down a couple notches in the menu.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Atomski said:
Even though forza color may be off it actually makes me pretty happy to see all that color compared to the dark gloomy GT5 video.

Oh well both good games. Someone needs to make a pc racer to stomp both the games graphic wise.
I know GT looks more "real" but it also looks more depressing. It's like they cranked down the contrast a bit too much and everything ends up looking A TINY BIT too grey or washed out in the end. We need a good mix of GT5's realism, and Forza's splash of colour to create the perfect looking game.

GT's replays fair much better though. Pretty odd.

I'll have to agree with everyone else, GT5 looks markedly better, with the exception of shadows, but it sounds like a chipmunk version of the real thing. Poor choice of replay angles in Forza, car zipping by all the time is really tiring for the eyes.

WinFonda said:
GT5 looks better to any sane person but jesus that guy needs to adjust his brightness up a little on the game. Looks like he took it down a couple notches in the menu.

I also think the brightness/saturation in forza should be dropped a little. I'd bet with enough changes to the monitor/game settings they'd look identical.

enzo_gt said:
I know GT looks more "real" but it also looks more depressing. It's like they cranked down the contrast a bit too much and everything ends up looking A TINY BIT too grey or washed out in the end. We need a good mix of GT5's realism, and Forza's splash of colour to create the perfect looking game.

GT's replays fair much better though. Pretty odd.
Not to jump in this mess, but there might be something wrong with their video or settings. It's not that dark on my screen at all.

Yoboman

Atomski said:
Even though forza color may be off it actually makes me pretty happy to see all that color compared to the dark gloomy GT5 video.

Oh well both good games. Someone needs to make a pc racer to stomp both the games graphic wise.
Forza's visuals make me happy, therefore they are better.

Niks

Some pretty civil and centered comments regarding the comparison....

huh.. who would have thought.
;)

But yeah, I echo most of the comments here about the comparison.
GT looks better overall, Forza has better sound.

LCfiner said:
I like photomode because it’s fun to try to think of new angles and shots. it’s not for everyone but I’m glad it’s there.

l
so you like photography. I do too. And i HAVE seen some amazing well done shots in the gt5 photo thread. But surely that is just a nice tiny extra for the game. Yet it gets the most attention in threads. And when people start using those shots to show how GT5 looks, it gets kinda emberrassing. Cause it doesn't..

I'm impressed with some of the angles & creativity that people show in their shots.
But that's a photography thing. Not a racecar sim thing.

Always-honest said:
so you like photography. I do too. And i HAVE seen some amazing well done shots in the gt5 photo thread. But surely that is just a nice tiny extra for the game. Yet it gets the most attention in threads. And when people start using those shots to show how GT5 looks, it gets kinda emberrassing. Cause it doesn't..

I'm impressed with some of the angles & creativity that people show in their shots.

Just cause you don't understand it doesn't mean you have to shit on everyone elses parade.

Considering by the amount of people posting them i'd say maybe you are the weird one?

There's nothing wrong in wanting to take highly details shots of the car you have been racing, winning with, modifying, etc.

Oh and btw, when they're positing Photo Mode shots "to show how GT5 looks", they're doing it against the Forza 3 Photo Mode shots as well, so they're just comparing the Photo Mode. I think everyone is well aware that's not how the game plays.

It would be great if in further comparisons they'd set both cockpit FoVs at approximately the same level. And of course, fix brightness and contrast for both games.

frontieruk

sajj316 said:
I was looking at the videos by ps360frame and something doesn't seem right. The frame rate analyzer picks up the rates properly but sometimes it registers frame tears but I don't see any of it on screen.

Edit: Looked again. I know I'm not going crazy. Screen tear analysis is not correct

Not all screen tears will be noticeable, here's an explanation of the tools used, watch the Call of Juarez 2: Bound in Blood they mark the tears with red bars on the left/right of the video.

Shaneus said:
What's the gist of the video for those of us without YT access?
Edit:
Just realised this once you posted... talk shit about Greenawalt all you want but for either him or his team to cut something like that because it just wasn't right is a pretty bold (and quite professional) move. Better than leaving it in and copping it because the changes were a few ms out.

Usual comparison fare, same view point, same track you decide which looks / sounds better to your tastes. Forza does look rather kindergarten compared in such a way, though i don't remember it that way :-/

enzo_gt said:
But is it less grey and washed out?
Yes. The colours really pop in GT5 and it's one of the biggest draws for me graphically. Only thing though is that it can be inconsistent at times on ld tracks though like Deep Forrest.

ShapeGSX said:
I don't know, GT5 is pretty dark on my TV.
Really? I have HDMI set to full in system settings because my monitor can handle it. Anyway I think the biggest difference between the two games graphically are the shaders, GT5 looks more metallic and the logo on the dashboard isn't as pronounced as it is in Forza, you can see more of the dash as well.

nib95 said:
Based off of that I'd say visually GT5 is a lot better. F3 looks a bit cartoon like almost.

Do people even know what that means?
Real life can look colorful. It's called time of day & the amount of clouds in the sky. That vid made Forza 3 looked better because of it.

LCfiner

Always-honest said:

well, anyone posting photomode images and attempting to pass that off as in game visuals is an idiot fanboy and can be totally ignored. :)

luckily, we have a thread only for photomode shots so we can mess about and have fun.

As for it being a “tiny” part of the game, I’d say it’s a bit more than that. I’ve spent at least 3 or 4 hours over the past week in various replays and in the photo travel mode. I’ve spent more time racing but the photo mode - and the impressive resulting pics - has been a big part of my enjoyment of the product

I always thought forza 3 had a really interesting, almost arcadey look... Never though it was trying to be a sim visually.

In other news would you like to compare your apple to my starfuit?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Pics:
forzavsgt1.jpg

I like that GT5 has started to simulate windshield glass...I don't think that was in Prologue, hence the "darkness" feel to it. (you can control the brightness of the cockpit in the options).

And that lighting engine in Forza is really, really bad. It makes tracks like this:

forzavsgt2.jpg

...look way worse than they need to.

Lighting is damn difficult to do (only a handful of devs have got it "right") so I hope the T10 team spend a good amount of resources on it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
frontieruk said:
Usual comparison fare, same view point, same track you decide which looks / sounds better to your tastes. Forza does look rather kindergarten compared in such a way, though i don't remember it that way :-/
Yeah, real talk, my Forza doesn't look that bright green and red either. I've never seen grass THAT green in Forza. I mean, it's pretty saturated, but this is leading me to believe they're capture settings set the contrast to very low for GT and very high for Forza.

Have we really reverted to comparing shots from the bullshot generator modes? They should be no where near this thread, last I checked, the 360 was perfectly capable of displaying jpegs as well.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Graphically GT5>Forza 3 in that video, for sure.

There are lots more clouds in the sky in GT5's Ring skybox. Forza 3 definitely has a bright look but that video makes it look much brighter than it actually is.

chubigans said:
Pics:

I like that GT5 has started to simulate windshield glass...I don't think that was in Prologue, hence the "darkness" feel to it. (you can control the brightness of the cockpit in the options).

It was, and it's still too dark even with that in mind. Doesn't look like that at all on my TV.

Top Bottom