• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

LCfiner

brain_stew said:
Have we really reverted to comparing shots from the bullshot generator modes? They should be no where near this thread, last I checked, the 360 was perfectly capable of displaying jpegs as well.

considering the history of this thread and all the mod sanctioned craziness that has gone on in here, I’d say this is the perfect thread to compare bullshots.

hell, at the beginning of the thread, that was all people had as ammunition.

only now, with both games out, can some proper comparisons begin.

brain_stew said:
Have we really reverted to comparing shots from the bullshot generator modes? They should be no where near this thread, last I checked, the 360 was perfectly capable of displaying jpegs as well.
The game looks exactly like that in cockpit view in GT5.

Atomski

4342594567_11c2935527_b.jpg

If these colors are wrong I don't want to be right. :D

skybaby

Man I hope the 360 can push some lighting like what PD achieved on the ps3. Both games would look a lot closer and we'd have a double combo of win

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
schennmu said:
Also call me crazy but I prefer GT's tire sound!
I do too. The Forza sounds remind me of the Speed bus tire sounds...which for all I know are 100% realistic, but man I can't get that out of my head. :lol

Shaneus

Quick question, no troll intended: Does GT5 have any telemetry at all short of the horizontal G-meter at the bottom of the screen? For the life of me I couldn't find anything and figured that with such an accurate physics model, GT5 would offer access to it somewhere.

skybaby

Shaneus said:
Quick question, no troll intended: Does GT5 have any telemetry at all short of the horizontal G-meter at the bottom of the screen? For the life of me I couldn't find anything and figured that with such an accurate physics model, GT5 would offer access to it somewhere.
I was asking myself that while watching the video of the guy playing with a smoking tire

Atomski

CrushDance said:
Post one from gameplay please. Even GT5's horrendous backdrops look great in photomode.
I was posting more for the track color. But yeah I feel like Forza's backdrops/skylines are amazing. I dont have a capture card but heres a gameplay shot.

forza3-2-1024x576.jpg

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
RSTEIN said:
There are lots more clouds in the sky in GT5's Ring skybox. Forza 3 definitely has a bright look but that video makes it look much brighter than it actually is.
It's weird that they went with the bright clear day look for the F1 Nurburgring curcuit in Forza3.
The actual full ring course has a much less bright/more overcast look. Which looks better IMO.

-viper-

Banned
Niks said:
sorry if old.

Gran Turismo 5 vs Forza Motorsports 3: Ferrari F430 @ Nurburgring GP Course
by insidesimeracing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1KVKSIVdK8

Thoughts?
:lol
GT5 looks much better. More detailed cockpit, better lighting and better colours. Looks far more realistic.

The colours and lighting in F3 looks terrible. Infact, that video of F3 looked pretty bad. Sounds are obviously more impressive though.

lord pie

chubigans said:
I like that GT5 has started to simulate windshield glass...I don't think that was in Prologue, hence the "darkness" feel to it. (you can control the brightness of the cockpit in the options).

To be pedantic and annoying: if the windshield darkens the view by 50%, then it also should darken the light illuminating the cockpit in 50% - which your eye should compensate for, meaning it should look exactly the same. As if there were no windshield at all.

:D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
lord pie said:
To be pedantic and annoying: if the windshield darkens the view by 50%, then it also should darken the light illuminating the cockpit in by 50% - which your eye should compensate for, meaning it should look exactly the same.

:D
*head asplodes*

Learn something every day! :D

skybaby

Shaneus said:
Can't access YT at work, but I mean real-time tire temps, pressure etc. I wouldn't have thought it would come at any extra "cost" to provide that information given that it's a simple overlay on the screen displaying numbers/basic line drawings.
It's a data logger, not sure you can bring it up during the race, doesn't seem so. Anyone with the game knows if it shows tire temps? Couldn't find it in the video

LCfiner

Shaneus said:
Can't access YT at work, but I mean real-time tire temps, pressure etc. I wouldn't have thought it would come at any extra "cost" to provide that information given that it's a simple overlay on the screen displaying numbers/basic line drawings.

data logger gives you RPM, brake/ acceleration status, G forces and speed but no friction circles for tires. it’s a timeline that lasts for the entire race

it is accessed after a race is over. it’s not visible realtime in a race as per forza’s telemetry toggle.

lord pie

chubigans said:
*head asplodes*

Learn something every day! :D

:lol :lol :lol

When you do compute graphics for a living....

Here's another thing you might not realize:
If light 'A' appears to be 4x brighter than light 'B' (perceptually), then it'll actually be emitting around 22x more light. (when shown on a display)

I personally believe the application of this rule (and others like it) is one of the fundamental differences between what Polyphony and Turn 10 have produced.

With all due respect of course. I have boundless respect for what T10 achieved in ~18 months of production :D

Another thing I noticed today while playing (GT) is that properly setting up a custom suspension makes a huge difference to the handling of the car. Lovely!

Jonsoncao

Banned
schennmu said:
Another thing I noticed today while playing (GT) is that properly setting up a custom suspension makes a huge difference to the handling of the car. Lovely!
yah, every simulator has that, GTR2, LFS, etc

jiggles

Banned
skybaby said:
It's a data logger, not sure you can bring it up during the race, doesn't seem so. Anyone with the game knows if it shows tire temps? Couldn't find it in the video
It shows tyre temp on the basic HUD during gameplay, going from blue (cool) to red (hot).

Always-honest said:
i still don't understand why people care so much about this photomode.. you can google these cars...
Gamepay wise it's nice to capture a funny or exciting moment. But to just take pictures of a virtual car that looks way better than it looks ingame just seems sooo fucking weird to me..

Sure, the cars look good in that mode. alsmost like the real ones. So?

I'm with you on this. I love GT5 so far (25+ hours in I think) and haven't touched a replay or photomode option. In fact I hate how REPLAY is always the first default option after finishing a race. I'm pretty sure it was the same in Forza 3 but I'd like to see numbers on how often that REPLAY option is used.

NEXT RACE or EXIT should be the default option, always.

skybaby

jigglywiggly said:
It shows tyre temp on the basic HUD during gameplay, going from blue (cool) to red (hot).
Oh yeah that's right. Damn I wish this game wasn't so god damn expensive here. I hope I get it for xmas from the missus :D

ShapeGSX

CrushDance said:
Yes. The colours really pop in GT5 and it's one of the biggest draws for me graphically. Only thing though is that it can be inconsistent at times on ld tracks though like Deep Forrest.

Really? I have HDMI set to full in system settings because my monitor can handle it. Anyway I think the biggest difference between the two games graphically are the shaders, GT5 looks more metallic and the logo on the dashboard isn't as pronounced as it is in Forza, you can see more of the dash as well.

If you are seeing crazy vibrant colors in GT5, most likely Full isn't the right setting for your display. A calibration blu-ray or DVD would show you why this is.

Jonsoncao said:
yah, every simulator has that, GTR2, LFS, etc

I know, but in many games it doesn't actually make a lot of difference. Just relieved to see a proper implementation. Now fix the individual gears for custom gearbox in the next patch, PD!

Shaneus

I'll suss out the data logger for sure, but it does suck that you can't view it real-time.

Oh shit, just thought of another thing they should've included (which would fit into the GT5 tuning garage perfectly): a dynamometer. Even if there's no interaction, I'd love to see something where your car rolls up onto a dyno, goes full noise in each gear then spits out a graph for you to save as a photo and share. Being able to post that sort of shit in car threads would be AMAZING.

m0dus

Banned
While everyone's taking a break from comparing bullshots and overly compressed vids of these two games, I would like to momentarily divert everyone's attention to something that your fellow Gaffers made in the spirit of competition and cooperation - ie, with the release of gt5, we've finally completed GAME volume 6: sim soundtrack battle. Custom racing music inspired by both games.

eu2fso.jpg

x9m6h.jpg

Official release thread for the gt5 edition stickied here

You may now go back to flinging crap at one-another

LCfiner

Atomski said:
Ugh.. but why? nothing worst than driving 10 laps only to lose cause your cat jumped in your hand :lol .

go back around 100 pages in this thread and I’ll bet you’ll find many breathless tirades explaining why rewind has no place in a simulation video game.

needless to day, I disagree. after all, we have a pause button, do we not?

Atomski

schennmu said:
I really hope there will never be rewind in GT. Takes away the tension for me.
I go online for tension, but seriously if I get messed up in a long ass race because of non game reasons I better have a freakin rewind button.

cgcg

Niks said:
sorry if old.

Gran Turismo 5 vs Forza Motorsports 3: Ferrari F430 @ Nurburgring GP Course
by insidesimeracing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1KVKSIVdK8

Thoughts?
:lol

GT5 has bit of shadowing problem especially noticeable in replays. It looks nice and smooth but literally one second later it can look pixelated. What's reason for this? With that said FM3's lighting and shadows are a joke compared to GT5.

GT5 is a little too dark at default but that can easily be adjusted by turning up the brightness in game. It's called EV for some reason. Anyway, a lot of the cars have tinted windows in GT5 and you actually see that effect with the cockpit view. I believe FM3 lacks that feature.

mintylurb

Jonsoncao said:
the ps360 framerate analysis is out

http://blog.livedoor.jp/ps360/archives/51644734.html

London
 Race: Avg: 57.110fps Min-Max :48.5-60 .0 fps Tear: 53.002%
 Replay: Avg: 29.485fps Min-Max :25.0-30 .0 fps Tear: 10.478%

GT5 Prologue London
 Race: Avg: 60.000fps Min-Max :60.0-60 .0 fps Tear: 0.198%

Replay: Avg: 29.984fps Min-Max :29.0-30 .0 fps Tear: 1.786%
I haven't tried gt5's London track yet but I remember gt5;p's London track having some noticeable tearing when I played it. I guess pd patched it later on?

just watched that youtube video --- do GT5's shadows actually look like that? The ones around the steering wheel were...blocky. Haven't played either game, so are those videos actually representative?

LCfiner

elrechazao said:
just watched that youtube video --- do GT5's shadows actually look like that? The ones around the steering wheel were...blocky. Haven't played either game, so are those videos actually representative?

GT5 has blocky shadows. it’s an issue. I notice it more in replay than while concentrating on driving but it sucks they couldn’t be better. (I also don’t know why the replay cameras don’t have better shadows and smoke/ snow effects since it’s running at 30fps)

I’d say the video is representative of both games. brightness levels may be different on different TV setups or when captured via a card directly.

shinnn

Nurbugring GP is too much colorful in FM3 :lol

Best looking tracks in my opinion are Silverstone, Camino Montserrat, Tsukuba, Mugello, Sebring and Sedona. Also I like the identity of each track in forza series.

enzo_gt said:
People used Drivatars? The fuck?
Drivatars were cool, they actually drove the same way you do via teaching it, watching it race the same as your own style in replay cameras was suberb for it's time. It's a feature I miss the most.

One thing I learned from my Drivatar was that I brake way too deep into corners, but I taught myself to stop doing that in forza 2 :D

I am rather sure you could pair up two drivatars to race each other also, it's been a long time since I played Forza 1

Top Bottom