• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Blame!

shinnn said:
level 2 or 3 in the first pic

level 15 in the GT-R

source: GTPlanet

that makes no sense whatsoever o_o

the first pic looks way more crazy than the GTR pic.

also do you really need to fix your car in this gmae? body rigidity and chassis maintenance options, and oil changes, etc do they really make your car drive worse?

Shaneus

shinnn said:
Nurbugring GP is too much colorful in FM3 :lol

Best looking tracks in my opinion are Silverstone, Camino Montserrat, Tsukuba, Mugello, Sebring and Sedona. Also I like the identity of each track in forza series.
Absolutely love Sebring. On reflection it does seem a little bright, but that last corner where you can really feel the joins in the concrete, it's amazing.

Ploid 3.0

Looks like you do. I banged up my cars bad, cost me 500k to fix the car I have now. Also you can wear out the motor too it seems. It's less expensive to overhaul the motor from what I seen. Don't know how you mess up the motor though. Makes me not want to drive my rare cars, I'm bound to hit something and it's very expensive.

-viper-

Banned
Blame! said:
what level do i need to be in order to get my cars to do this below? levcel 7 right now and im barely getting scratches :lol
wow, that damage looks good. needs some more scratches though, but for a production car, it looks decent.

-viper-

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
Looks like you do. I banged up my cars bad, cost me 500k to fix the car I have now. Also you can wear out the motor too it seems. It's less expensive to overhaul the motor from what I seen. Don't know how you mess up the motor though. Makes me not want to drive my rare cars, I'm bound to hit something and it's very expensive.
What do you mean? Where do you pay and fix the car?

Ploid 3.0

Carwash area. Where you paint your car and maintenance. It dont look crumpled it just gives your performance back (horse power or something I guess). I only overhauled my engine once and by mistake on a used Shelby. Cost me over 200 grand. Crazy

When you crash up your car it don't stay that way after the race. I guess Kaz and crew thought about keeping them jacked up like dirt on cars and oil (although oil isn't visible).

-viper-

Banned
200 grand? Fucking hell - you may as well buy a new car.

I prefer Forza 3's system where it is deducted from your winnings if you damage your car pretty badly.

The fact you don't even see the car damaged and have to pay that much money in GT5 sounds like its going to drive me nuts :\

So I've decided to return GT5 tomorrow as I'm just tiring of it.

The menus, loading and just cumbersome feel of the game just make anything outside of the actual racing an awful chore. While I appreciate the content (and there is alot), the races are pretty standard fare for a racer. The 16 cars on track does little to add to the experience and I'm finding the challenges (got gold on VW bus challenge, silver on lotus) to be challenging bordering (and often crossing into) on frustration.

The tracks are great, with some awesome originals (the cape is awesome) and brilliant actual tracks - it's just a shame that alot of the environment visuals etc are so disappointing. I'm find the weather and day/night cycles are a gimmick at best most of the time. While I appreciate the tech involved - it's not adding much to the gameplay or feel, for me at least.

The online system in it's current state is awful and truly worse than forza 3 and many other racers this gen - it was clearly an afterthought which is obscene from a high profile developer.

I had some friends around on the weekend and we played the shit out of the game - and we all (even the forza/xbox hater) agreed the graphics in game - while matching if not smashing forza's visuals - are still pretty disappointing. No amount of resolution or FPS advantages in the engine will make up for the drops, bizarre ugly environments and awful screen tearing (it truly is awful).

Most importantly (and it took a while for me to realize just how much I want it) the lack of customization is fucking awful. I finally decided to buy a Premium model and was shocked at how little you can actually do - particularly with wheels/sizes etc. A paint editor is a glaring omission also.

It's a shame really, as the handling/physics are easily the best I've played in terms of feedback and the 'real' feel. I kept with the game after my initial disappointment as I felt that the graphics potential (some of the photos and replays are mind blowing) and feel of the driving would be enough to tide me over. While I really enjoy alot of elements (2player splits reen go karts is awesome fun), it's clear that alot of features that exist in forza (and many other racers) that I took for granted are for more important to my enjoyment of this genre they seemed.

On a side note - I started playing pgr4 again last night and easily got into a great lag/ping lobby for some fantastic racing (can someone explain cat and mouse in detail to me though - I couldn't work the scoring out at all). While I understand the 30fps lower res tech is nowhere near as impressive - it 'looks' alot better. The environments are really busy and beautiful, the motion blur and vibration/screenshake feedback adds a far superior sense of speed, there is some customization of the paintwork, the online system is decent, the car models and cockpits are good but not great, and the single player has a lot of variety given that it is all circuit racing in some form. Can't believe I gave up on this game when I first picked it up - I'm having alot of fun with it.

mil6es

-viper- said:
200 grand? Fucking hell - you may as well buy a new car.

I prefer Forza 3's system where it is deducted from your winnings if you damage your car pretty badly.

The fact you don't even see the car damaged and have to pay that much money in GT5 sounds like its going to drive me nuts :\

the fee's for engine overhaul and body rigidity are always half of the original cost of the car

Stripper13 said:
wall-o-text

and you just so happen to post this in the vs thread instead of the OT

thats all I'm gonna say:lol

LCfiner said:
needless to day, I disagree. after all, we have a pause button, do we not?

Not. the. same.

Pausing a game to take a piss or roll a smoke is not the same as an, imo, a "dumbed down", mainstreaming, ADHD crowd, rewind feature. Timmah!

You should not get unlimited "chances" in a racing sim. The idea just doesn't sit well with me. And I don't think it should be an option either.

But ultimately it's not important. I know GT will never include such a feature.

mil6es said:
and you just so happen to post this in the vs thread instead of the OT

thats all I'm gonna say:lol
He mentioned Forza a couple of times. That post would have got him banned in the OT.

This is exactly the right place for it.

skybaby said:
Man I hope the 360 can push some lighting like what PD achieved on the ps3. Both games would look a lot closer and we'd have a double combo of win

There's honestly nothing technically impressive about the lighting in GT5 tbh. Polyphony's artists just seem to be able to bake better lightmaps.

For me, artistically GT5 takes it, but technically, I'm giving the nod to Forza. Achieving a 100% locked 60fps framerate is not something to be sniffed at, especially when your competition is dropping to 30fps at times, and its so vital for the genre. Far too many shortucts, artefacts and inconsistincies in GT5. Not nearly enough resources were dedicated to the environments in GT5 either, and since this is what I'm looking at 90% of the time, well, I can't reason it. Too much focus on the bullshot generator and not enough focus on ingame visuals for my liking.

Is there at least an option to forever banish the standard cars? Can I play through the single player without ever seeing one?

shinnn

Death Dealer said:
Not. the. same.

Pausing a game to take a piss or roll a smoke is not the same as an, imo, a "dumbed down", mainstreaming, ADHD crowd, rewind feature. Timmah!

You should not get unlimited "chances" in a racing sim. The idea just doesn't sit well with me. And I don't think it should be an option either.

They can't add a rewind in the replay.. I don't know if PD has the knowledge to do this.

Lagspike_exe said:
Why do people bring up "drop the resolution to 720p" all the time. You CAN play in 720p if you want to. 1080p isn't mandatory.

I may be wrong but isn't there a ton of resources used to get the 1080 resolution?

mil6es

brain_stew said:
There's honestly nothing technically impressive about the lighting in GT5 tbh. Polyphony's artists just seem to be able to bake better lightmaps.

For me, artistically GT5 takes it, but technically, I'm giving the nod to Forza. Achieving a 100% locked 60fps framerate is not something to be sniffed at, especially when your competition is dropping to 30fps at times, and its so vital for the genre.

Ok here is why GT cant lock 60

twice the cars on track
1080p(nearly)
dynamic weather(yes only a few tracks)

mil6es said:

twice the cars on track
1080p(nearly)
Problem with that is that it still drops sub 60 when it's running in 720p with only 1 or 2 cars on the track (I've seen it happen a ton of times on the Mercedes special events).

mil6es

Psychotext said:
Problem with that is that it still drops sub 60 when it's running in 720p with only 1 or 2 cars on the track (I've seen it happen a ton of times on the Mercedes special events).

I've had tearing but never any frame drops on those specials

mil6es said:
What do you think causes tearing to occur? The frame rate dropping below 60fps.

...and I've had some pretty noticeable slowdown at certain areas of the full lap. I'll admit that I'm very sensitive to it though.

mil6es said:

twice the cars on track
1080p(nearly)

Then ditch it, or at least give me an option to turn it all off. I don't care for bullet points if all they're doing is degrading my experience. The weather effects are rendered with a ridiculous 1/16th resolution buffer, there's nothing impressive about that, and we've all seen the utterly hideous artefacts it can produce.

If the game drops to 30fps when all those 16 cars are displayed, then the engine clearly isn't upto the task, so reduce the number of ingame car models.

If the performance tanks when heavy weather effects kick in (and it does) then ditch them or rewrite your engine. The current solution only degrades the experience.

1280x1080 is 50% more resolution, sure, and its appreciated but the engine just doesn't seem to be up to it. Its a pita to force the 720p mode and that doesn't fix the performance problems anyway, so that point is moot.

mil6es said:

Protip: if your game is tearing then its dropping frames. So yes, you've seen both in your game, you've just not noticed it.

Psychotext said:
He mentioned Forza a couple of times. That post would have got him banned in the OT.

This is exactly the right place for it.

This mostly. I considered posting in the OT but you only have to read a few posts there to see that nearly everyone participating is actively enjoying the game. I figured my post would more or less be considered trolling by many of the thread regulars. More importantly, my post was meant to in the context of not only what GT5 wrong but also what forza 3 did right. For the record - I have no intention of returning to forza 3 over gt5 - rather I will stick with some arcade racers (pgr, tdu, nfs etc) until I don't feel so burnout in the sim genre.

Another side note - is the new NFS worth the trade in money from GT5? I'm hearing mixed impressions - but I really enjoyed burnout paradise but disliked not having any decent customization. Yay or nay for NFS?

Atomski

Death Dealer said:
Not. the. same.

Mature

In Forza 3 if you want to compete for best times rewinds don't count in the top. So you are rewarded for not using it.

To me it just seems like they are not keeping up with the times.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stripper13 said:
This mostly. I considered posting in the OT but you only have to read a few posts there to see that nearly everyone participating is actively enjoying the game. I figured my post would more or less be considered trolling by many of the thread regulars.
Which is partially why this thread was created, sadly. Too many outlandish trolls in both threads made it all that much easier to lump any criticism, legitimate or not, as a potential troll.

Ploid 3.0

Oh boy, the rewind thing again. Please keep that out of GT Kaz, I like screwing up and fighting for my position back. Rewind would be too tempting not to use, and not being on a leader board or slightly less credits isn't enough reason not to cheat with it. Voiding the race all together turning it into a exhibition race or time trial unlimited laps included would be the only conditions I wouldn't hate PD for including it. The main reason people seem to want it is is to practice taking a corner anyway.

iamcenok

Stripper13 said:
Another side note - is the new NFS worth the trade in money from GT5? I'm hearing mixed impressions - but I really enjoyed burnout paradise but disliked not having any decent customization. Yay or nay for NFS?

If you're looking for customization, you won't find it in the new NFS.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ploid 3.0 said:
Oh boy, the rewind thing again. Please keep that out of GT Kaz, I like screwing up and fighting for my position back. Rewind would be too tempting not to use, and not being on a leader board or slightly less credits isn't enough reason not to cheat with it. Voiding the race all together turning it into a exhibition race or time trial unlimited laps included would be the only conditions I wouldn't hate PD for including it. The main reason people seem to want it is is to practice taking a corner anyway.

Codemasters has the best implementation in my opinion with having a limited number of rewinds.

XiaNaphryz said:
Which is partially why this thread was created, sadly. Too many outlandish trolls in both threads made it all that much easier to lump any criticism, legitimate or not, as a potential troll.
Indeed! Shogun Pai made me lose my faith in humanity.

At least he was frank about it, eventually, but most trolls are not so you really don´t know when somone has an agenda or not, just by reading a post.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I was under the impression GT5 had no real damage until I found this pic:
sxoVC.png

Shurs

Three guys in the stands wearing the same hat, red shirt and brown pants. I bet they were embarrassed when they took their seats that day.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Shurs said:
Three guys in the stands wearing the same hat, red shirt and brown pants. I bet they were embarrassed when they took their seats that day.
Standard issue covert operation outfit.
It's obvious, they are all covering different directions, too.
The guy with the white shirt must be the president.

It's this attention to detail that elevates the GT5 series!

Psychotext said:

720p performance boost is very slight because it uses 4XAA instead of 2X

iamcenok said:
If you're looking for customization, you won't find it in the new NFS.

Really? Awful. Man I want another 'great' underground or most wanted game.

Another side note - anyone having any information regarding release date and Customisation in TDU2? Is it going to be like the original with stage kit upgrades and limited paint options?

DaFish

Stallion Free said:
Tesselated crowds in Dirt 2 fucking obliterate the shit they pass as crowds in the stands in these two games.
Fuck I forgot Dirt II had a DX11 version... I need to buy this game again for PC (almost did it last time it was on steam sale)

Shaneus

I'm still not really wowed by the damage in GT5. I mean, wowed by the wireframe deformation, but some of the things that stretch (well, *everything* that stretches) just looks peculiar. Technically I prefer it to F3 but visually I think the damage in Forza looks more realistic.

Someone combine the two! Shift 2 maybe? :lol

Stallion Free said:
Tesselated crowds in Dirt 2 fucking obliterate the shit they pass as crowds in the stands in these two games.

The crowds in GT5 are terrible. Is it really that hard to add some variety to the hues of the shirts ? Everyone in the crowd has one of about 5 different colors.

cgcg

PD should just release a patch to downgrade the AA to Forza 3's level. It'll probably improve performance quite a bit.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
cgcg said:
PD should just release a patch to downgrade the AA to Forza 3's level. It'll probably improve performance quite a bit.

IMO, The clean image quality is a godsend, cause you need to look so far into the distance to anticipate the next turn. I didn't notice the framerate dips when I am racing, so I'd like it to stay the way it is, thank you very much. They should just optimize the engine as much as they can.

cnizzle06

Banned
Death Dealer said:
The crowds in GT5 are terrible. Is it really that hard to add some variety to the hues of the shirts ? Everyone in the crowd has one of about 5 different colors.

They obviously didn't get enough time.

sdornan

Stripper13 said:

Another side note - anyone having any information regarding release date and Customisation in TDU2? Is it going to be like the original with stage kit upgrades and limited paint options?
It doesn't really need customization though. Hot Pursuit is an amazing game as is.

Shaneus

Stripper13 said:

I don't think there's any customisation in TDU2... pretty sure they prefer to focus on the RPG-esque customisation like houses, garages etc.

FWIW I was never really a big fan of the direction NFS went with the customising of things. Always thought they did the interactive magazine-type focus really well. Learned more about cars in the first two NFS games than any other game since.

Top Bottom