• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

skybaby

KHarvey16 said:
I still can't get enough of the "please never add replay because I won't be able to help myself!" argument :lol
I still the remember the "please don't add a driving line" one pre-gt5p

user_nat said:
It's weird that they went with the bright clear day look for the F1 Nurburgring curcuit in Forza3.
The actual full ring course has a much less bright/more overcast look. Which looks better IMO.

Its the way forza has been from the start, it has always had its own unique lighting and colour to it. Some people like it some people dont, i would say if they both had the same lighitng system it would be very hard to tell them apart driving in the cockpit view.

bandresen said:
I was under the impression GT5 had no real damage until I found this pic:
sxoVC.png
from level 40 on.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Oh boy, the rewind thing again. Please keep that out of GT Kaz, I like screwing up and fighting for my position back. Rewind would be too tempting not to use, and not being on a leader board or slightly less credits isn't enough reason not to cheat with it.

What if there was an option at the start of career and only there? If you say no to rewind at that point, you never see it again.

Apath

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
What if there was an option at the start of career and only there? If you say no to rewind at that point, you never see it again.
I really like that idea. I love the rewind feature in Forza 3, but I can definitely understand people's dejection of it. Seems like a perfect middle ground.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

It's not about the rewind button itself. It's about the game being so bad that it requires a rewind button to be functional. It's a cop-out.

weekend_warrior said:
It's not about the rewind button itself. It's about the game being so bad that it requires a rewind button to be functional. It's a cop-out.

Then there are plenty of well received yet "bad" games out there already. Drop this nonsense, please, we're finally having something resembling a civil discourse.

Absinthe

Death Dealer said:
The crowds in GT5 are terrible. Is it really that hard to add some variety to the hues of the shirts ? Everyone in the crowd has one of about 5 different colors.

Crowds in most racing games are just as bad.

Dirt 2: With Tessellation, but the same models.
4147548252_502df9524e_b.jpg

Forza 3: Same as GT/Worse?
2baec289.jpg

Who looks at these when your driving by?

mil6es said:
Ok here is why GT cant lock 60

twice the cars on track
1080p(nearly)
dynamic weather(yes only a few tracks)

I think the biggest contributor is the IQ. People can't really comprehend the difference between 4xMSAA + 2x temporal SSAA and just 2xMSAA Forza employs by watching Youtube movies. The difference is astonishing while playing. Forza doesn't tear, though, so that's a + on that side.

-viper- said:
GT5 looks much better. More detailed cockpit, better lighting and better colours. Looks far more realistic.

The colours and lighting in F3 looks terrible. Infact, that video of F3 looked pretty bad. Sounds are obviously more impressive though.

I never really took note of people saying how bad the car sounds in GT5 were but damn. How can they justify that as engine sound for a F430

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Stripper13 said:
So I've decided to return GT5 tomorrow as I'm just tiring of it.

The menus, loading and just cumbersome feel of the game just make anything outside of the actual racing an awful chore. While I appreciate the content (and there is alot), the races are pretty standard fare for a racer. The 16 cars on track does little to add to the experience and I'm finding the challenges (got gold on VW bus challenge, silver on lotus) to be challenging bordering (and often crossing into) on frustration.

The tracks are great, with some awesome originals (the cape is awesome) and brilliant actual tracks - it's just a shame that alot of the environment visuals etc are so disappointing. I'm find the weather and day/night cycles are a gimmick at best most of the time. While I appreciate the tech involved - it's not adding much to the gameplay or feel, for me at least.

The online system in it's current state is awful and truly worse than forza 3 and many other racers this gen - it was clearly an afterthought which is obscene from a high profile developer.

I had some friends around on the weekend and we played the shit out of the game - and we all (even the forza/xbox hater) agreed the graphics in game - while matching if not smashing forza's visuals - are still pretty disappointing. No amount of resolution or FPS advantages in the engine will make up for the drops, bizarre ugly environments and awful screen tearing (it truly is awful).

Most importantly (and it took a while for me to realize just how much I want it) the lack of customization is fucking awful. I finally decided to buy a Premium model and was shocked at how little you can actually do - particularly with wheels/sizes etc. A paint editor is a glaring omission also.

It's a shame really, as the handling/physics are easily the best I've played in terms of feedback and the 'real' feel. I kept with the game after my initial disappointment as I felt that the graphics potential (some of the photos and replays are mind blowing) and feel of the driving would be enough to tide me over. While I really enjoy alot of elements (2player splits reen go karts is awesome fun), it's clear that alot of features that exist in forza (and many other racers) that I took for granted are for more important to my enjoyment of this genre they seemed.

On a side note - I started playing pgr4 again last night and easily got into a great lag/ping lobby for some fantastic racing (can someone explain cat and mouse in detail to me though - I couldn't work the scoring out at all). While I understand the 30fps lower res tech is nowhere near as impressive - it 'looks' alot better. The environments are really busy and beautiful, the motion blur and vibration/screenshake feedback adds a far superior sense of speed, there is some customization of the paintwork, the online system is decent, the car models and cockpits are good but not great, and the single player has a lot of variety given that it is all circuit racing in some form. Can't believe I gave up on this game when I first picked it up - I'm having alot of fun with it.

That is unfortunate Stripper13. I'm certainly not going to argue against your decision, as I don't own the game yet. But if I may ask, what about the online portion of GT5 were you disappointed with? Because from what I've read, GT5 was supposed to have some of the most robust featured in any online multiplayer game.

Can you at least send friend invites to a race?

Is the spectator feature functional yet?

CozMick

Banned
So now we have this Nurburgring comparison I notice a few things...........

GT5 lighting owns the shit out of Forza 3
GT5 car models own the shit out of Forza 3
GT5 visual effects own the shit out of Forza 3
GT5 sound owns the shit out of Forza 3
GT5 driving physics own the shit out of Forza 3
GT5 attention to detail owns the shit out of Forza 3
Forza 3 has slightly better shadows than GT5

Now continue your debate on the standard cars and the shadows :lol

CozMick said:

I agree. But...Forza kind of wins in that it's consistent. Perosnally I am really disappointed in how GT5 turned out visual wise. It may do more, have more detail, bla bla. But it's no good when it tears and looks like a PS2 game at times. There is a PS3 game somewhere in that mess that is worthy of being up there with Santa Monica, NaughtyDog, Guerrilla etc. But frankly, the game has no right to be called "good looking" or even considered top tier on consoles graphically. FM3 has better graphics, simple as that and I know it may be a tough pill for some of you to swallow! But it's the truth.

vanty

CozMick said:

In what way? From what I've heard GT5 car sounds are at their very best equal to an average car from FM3, while most of them don't even sound like cars at all.

CozMick

Banned
Bu..bu..bu...but that, video proves............

Oh what the hell, people just see/hear what they wanna even if it's right in front of them.

And I strongly disagree about the visuals, they are stunning and yes they are leagues ahead of Forza 3 both technically and visually
apart from the shadows

But that's just my opinion, I ain't stating fact :D

CozMick said:
Bu..bu..bu...but that, video proves............

Oh what the hell, people just see/hear what they wanna even if it's right in front of them.

And I strongly disagree about the visuals, they are stunning and yes they are leagues ahead of Forza 3 both technically and visually
apart from the shadows

But that's just my opinion, I ain't stating fact :D
How can you speak about technical and forget the tearing and inconsistencies?

acm2000

Lagspike_exe said:
I think the biggest contributor is the IQ. People can't really comprehend the difference between 4xMSAA + 2x temporal SSAA and just 2xMSAA Forza employs by watching Youtube movies. The difference is astonishing while playing. Forza doesn't tear, though, so that's a + on that side.

QAA in 1080p mode remember tho, yuck

Gran Turismo 5 = 1280x720 (4xAA), 1280x1080 (QAA), 1280x720 (QAA) in 3D mode

CozMick

Banned
CrushDance said:
How can you speak about technical and forget the tearing and inconsistencies?

Because in my opinion car count, polys pushed, resolution, effects on screen (smoke, headlights etc) and the physics engine far exceed the short comings of the tearing, shadows and the odd dodgy texture.

Brashnir

CozMick said:
Because in my opinion car count, polys pushed, resolution, effects on screen (smoke, headlights etc) and the physics engine far exceed the short comings of the tearing, shadows and the odd dodgy texture.

sounds sort of like...

CozMick said:

Gowans

Yeah one thing that bugs me when playing or reading here is when people say it's 1080p. Yeah it's 1080 horizontal lines but it's no-where near the vertical resolution of 1080p and it shows on my tv.

CozMick

Banned
Gowans007 said:
Yeah one thing that bugs me when playing or reading here is when people say it's 1080p. Yeah it's 1080 horizontal lines but it's no-where near the vertical resolution of 1080p and it shows on my tv.

But a bigger resolution than Forza 3 non the less? :p

CozMick

Banned
Gowans007 said:
Haha I don't think, I know.

Yeah, finishing 12th on both kart races was kind of an embarrassment :lol

Made up for it on the Nurburg though :p

Back on topic............Forza sucks, just because!

Vorg

Banned
weekend_warrior said:

Yeah, an option to make the game more accessible is there because the game sucks. that makes sense.

Personally, I never liked playing racing sims. Rewind was the one reason I was able to play forza and actually enjoy the game's features and going through the career mode. I would never have played it otherwise since the genre is usually so unforgiving. Rewind rocks for people like me.

Rad Agast

CozMick said:

GT5 lighting much better than Forza 3
GT5 some car models are better than Forza 3
GT5 sound is worse than Forza 3
GT5 driving physics own the shit out of Forza 3 you can't really judge this from that video
GT5 attention to detail ,are we talking about environment? If so then it's worse than Forza 3
Forza 3 has slightly better shadows than GT5 both are kinda crappy imo

fixed.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Oh boy, the rewind thing again. Please keep that out of GT Kaz, I like screwing up and fighting for my position back. Rewind would be too tempting not to use, and not being on a leader board or slightly less credits isn't enough reason not to cheat with it. Voiding the race all together turning it into a exhibition race or time trial unlimited laps included would be the only conditions I wouldn't hate PD for including it. The main reason people seem to want it is is to practice taking a corner anyway.

Agreed, rewind should be kept out. When people say "Why should I lose a race just because I fucked up one single corner?" they're just not good enough, otherwise they wouldn't fuck up.

It's the worst thing to happen to racers in the last 5 years.

Shaneus

ichinisan said:
Agreed, rewind should be kept out. When people say "Why should I lose a race just because I fucked up one single corner?" they're just not good enough, otherwise they wouldn't fuck up.

It's the worst thing to happen to racers in the last 5 years.
How? You can't use it online, it's a training tool for when you're online you've can replay over and over that one corner you can never get until you know how to take it perfectly. It's main purpose isn't for advancing through SP quicker, it's learning on your own until you don't need to rewind.

The amount of corners I've learned how to take with rewinding in Forza without using the racing line is massive. With rewind you can teach yourself, something that's far harder with a racing line. Beats the shit out of having to do license tests to learn things, too.

iceatcs

Rewind feature should be only in training mode then.

Racing and time trail shouldn't have that, it will lead to unmistakable race and the lap record will too low compare real world.

I'm loving GT5 but the game is out stripping my skill significantly already... i really miss the user definable assist levels from Forza and NFS: Shift.

Unless they are in there and i'm just unable to find them.

If i can't get more value out of it i might take it back.... otherwise it'll sit on my shelf forever... mocking me.

CrushDance said:
FM3 has better graphics, simple as that and I know it may be a tough pill for some of you to swallow! But it's the truth.

I don't think that's true. It's more consistent...but the simple fact that both games shoot for realism and GT generally does a far better job there, with its best moments outshining Forza in every conceivable way...I don't think that consistency trumps that as easily as you do. Forza looks great, no question, but its almost cartoony style in some areas stops it from outstripping GT during the majority of play.

derFeef

iceatcs said:
Rewind feature should be only in training mode then.

Racing and time trail shouldn't have that, it will lead to unmistakable race and the lap record will too low compare real world.
Using rewind makes you uneligible for leaderboards and so on.

sajj316

Lagspike_exe said:
You can switch it to regular MSAA with the use of the "Sharpen" option.

Does switching it to MSAA yield better performance? Also, does switching your PS3 settings to force 720p minimize screen tears and improve frame rates?

Shaneus said:
How? You can't use it online, it's a training tool for when you're online you've can replay over and over that one corner you can never get until you know how to take it perfectly. It's main purpose isn't for advancing through SP quicker, it's learning on your own until you don't need to rewind.

The amount of corners I've learned how to take with rewinding in Forza without using the racing line is massive. With rewind you can teach yourself, something that's far harder with a racing line. Beats the shit out of having to do license tests to learn things, too.

My point maybe becomes there is already a feature in GT5 that creates a cyclical incidence for taking the corner again.

It's called doing another lap.

I much prefer a holistic approach to learning a course/track rather than learning it one corner at a time. What happens if you'll never be able to rewind a corner far enough back because you're approach is all wrong? What if it's in a complex of corners? It's just a crutch for the impatient driver.

You can always go round again, just get better next time.

erahk64

MikeDub said:
I never really took note of people saying how bad the car sounds in GT5 were but damn. How can they justify that as engine sound for a F430

Maybe GT5 sound requires less memory usage and can be used to improve graphics.

Vorg

Banned
ichinisan said:
No need. Just do another lap.

I dont get the elitist attitude towards rewind. Its not like the game requires you to use it and its not like the leaderboards can be cheated into by using it. The feature isn't there for sim fans. It's there for the people who don't have the patience/skill/whatever to play thw game otherwise. Besides, since the thing is only used in the career mode, why not let people enjoy it the way they want instead of restricting the game to the more hardcore sim crowd? If you guys don't trust yourselves not to use it, that's your problem.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
acidspunk said:
I dont get the elitist attitude towards rewind. Its not like the game requires you to use it and its not like the leaderboards can be cheated into by using it. The feature isn't there for sim fans. It's there for the people who don't have the patience/skill/whatever to play thw game otherwise. Besides, since the thing is only used in the career mode, why not let people enjoy it the way they want instead of restricting the game to the more hardcore sim crowd? If you guys don't trust yourselves not to use it, that's your problem.

Because not being able to gloss over mistakes teaches restraint. Without restraint you'll never get on course to properly learning to drive.

derFeef

SnakeXs said:
Because not being able to gloss over mistakes teaches restraint. Without restraint you'll never get on course to properly learning to drive.
But it can be used as a learning tool as well, no? Try that corner again, and the next lap will work better as a whole. Later you can finish the the whole race without a mistake. It is in fact a learning tool.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
SnakeXs said:

2+2=6
No Johnny you fail you have to start the grade over.

vs.

2+2=6
Let's try that again Johnny.
2+2=5?
Think about it again. I have two apples in one hand and two apples in the other hand.
2+2=4!
Good Johnny!

RSTEIN said:
2+2=6

vs.

2+2=6
2+2=5?
Think about it again. I have two apples in one hand and two apples in the other hand.
2+2=4!
Good Johnny!

The next day:

2+2=6
Common Johnny, you were able to do it yesterday!
2+2=5?
Think about it Johnny
2+2=4?
Yay!

RSTEIN said:
2+2=6

vs.

2+2=6
2+2=5?
2+2=4!
Good Johnny!

Now Johnny, go forth into the real world!

Err Johnny, how many apples we got there?

Umm... 6?

You're fired.

Shurs

derFeef said:
But it can be used as a learning tool as well, no? Try that corner again, and the next lap will work better as a whole. Later you can finish the the whole race without a mistake. It is in fact a learning tool.

I'm all for rewind being an option, but it needs to be in a separate game mode, where even having the option to use rewind negates your ability to post times on leaderboards whether you use it or not.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Metalmurphy said:
The next day:

2+2=6
Common Johnny, you were able to do it yesterday!
2+2=5?
Think about it Johnny
2+2=4?
Yay!

OR:

The next day:
2+2=5
Common Johnny, now you have to restart the grade over again.

2+2=fuck it, the game isn't even that good to begin with I'm not working for it. give me rewind.

derFeef

Shurs said:
I'm all for rewind being an option, but it needs to be in a separate game mode, where even having the option to use rewind negates your ability to post times on leaderboards whether you use it or not.
A lap time where rewind was used is getting ranked even under the slowest time where no rewind was used and also marked with an icon. At least it was that way the last time I checked.

Top Bottom