• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Shurs

derFeef said:
A lap time where rewind was used is getting ranked even under the slowest time where no rewind was used and also marked with an icon. At least it was that way the last time I checked.

What I'm saying is that it should be relegated to practice mode with no times being posted at all regardless of whether or not rewind is used.

Then it really would be used as a learning tool and not as a crutch.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Shurs said:
What I'm saying is that it should be relegated to practice mode with no times being posted at all regardless of whether or not rewind is used.

Does it really bother you that much? The leaderboards clearly label if someone used rewind or not. I'm not sure why you care so much how someone else plays a game.

Shurs

Painraze said:
Does it really bother you that much? The leaderboards clearly label if someone used rewind or not. I'm not sure why you care so much how someone else plays a game.

If rewind bothered me, I'd say that it has no place in a GT game. That's not what I'm saying at all.

derFeef

Shurs said:
Fair enough, even if I don't see the big difference here.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
LabouredSubterfuge said:
It's called competition.

Worthless response.

There's no rewind in online races and, again, leaderboards already brand rewind times with a scarlet letter. Seems like there's plenty of competition to me.

Painraze said:
Worthless response.

There's no rewind in online races and, again, leaderboards already brand rewind times with a scarlet letter. Seems like there's plenty of competition to me.

Perhaps we just feel different on the matter.

A lap done without aid and one done with rewind are such fundamentally different things they ought not be considered in the same vein, imo. At the very least I'd want separate leaderboards entirely.

Brashnir

LabouredSubterfuge said:

A lap done without aid and one done with rewind are such fundamentally different things they ought not be considered in the same vein, imo. At the very least I'd want separate leaderboards entirely.

They are completely separate for all intents and purposes. The leaderboards show all no-rewind times, and then all rewind times.

ElNino

LabouredSubterfuge said:

But that is essentially how it is handled. Any laptime set with rewind/drafting/cutting corners/etc is flagged and will be placed behind even the slowest "legit" time on the leaderboard.

ElNino said:
But that is essentially how it is handled. Any laptime set with rewind/drafting/cutting corners/etc is flagged and will be placed behind even the slowest "legit" time on the leaderboard.

Not so bad. That's much better than I was expecting, especially that it flags cut corners and drafting too.

Gowans

Ok guys please get informed before you rail on the leaderboards in Forza.
I was really impressed by how the handle the aids.

If you use rewind you are below everyone who hasn't

Its works really well for comparisons too when you split it between friends or people you follow.

1. 30:00 - No Assists
2. 32:00 - No Assists
3. 34:00 - No Assists
4. 35:00 - No Assists
5. 36:00 - No Assists
6. 37:00 - No Assists
7. 25:00 - Assist
8. 32:00 - Assist

Edit: beat, do you research guys.

ElNino

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Not so bad. That's much better than I was expecting, especially that it flags cut corners and drafting too.
Not only that, if you are flagged during the last section of one lap (ie. cutting the last corner, drafting down the straight before the start/finish, etc) than it will automatically flag the next lap as well to prevent you from getting an unfair start to the next lap. It can actually be a bit too extreme sometimes.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Now Johnny, go forth into the real world!

Err Johnny, how many apples we got there?

Umm... 6?

You're fired.

Yes, exaclty.

Offline mode lets me figure out on my own how to add, subtract, divide, differentiate, whatever, how many apples I have. I am free to make mistakes and experiment.

In the real world (online racing) if I make a mistake then I lose.

nib95

Banned
brain_stew said:
There's honestly nothing technically impressive about the lighting in GT5 tbh. Polyphony's artists just seem to be able to bake better lightmaps.

For me, artistically GT5 takes it, but technically, I'm giving the nod to Forza. Achieving a 100% locked 60fps framerate is not something to be sniffed at, especially when your competition is dropping to 30fps at times, and its so vital for the genre. Far too many shortucts, artefacts and inconsistincies in GT5. Not nearly enough resources were dedicated to the environments in GT5 either, and since this is what I'm looking at 90% of the time, well, I can't reason it. Too much focus on the bullshot generator and not enough focus on ingame visuals for my liking.

Is there at least an option to forever banish the standard cars? Can I play through the single player without ever seeing one?

The locked at 60fps thing is a bit loaded though since F3 also drops frames. And despite the drop to 35fps in that one particular test, the average frame rate for GT5 was still 57fps. Which is perfectly acceptable. It's the tearing that's the problem, not the frame rate.

Shurs

Gowans007 said:
Ok guys please get informed before you rail on the leaderboards in Forza.
I was really impressed by how the handle the aids.

If you use rewind you are below everyone who hasn't

Its works really well for comparisons too when you split it between friends or people you follow.

Edit: beat, do you research guys.

I know how it works.

What I'm saying is that even having the option to rewind should be segregated from those who choose to avoid having the option altogether.

nib95

Banned
Hanmik said:
mp9Ti.jpg

http://www.lazygamer.net/lazygamer-feature-lap-time-comparison-gt5-vs-forza-3-vs-real-life/

Interesting comparison. Are there similar tests from other tracks?

ShapeGSX

nib95 said:
The locked at 60fps thing is a bit loaded though since F3 also drops frames. And despite the drop to 35fps in that one particular test, the average frame rate for GT5 was still 57fps. Which is perfectly acceptable. It's the tearing that's the problem, not the frame rate.

You don't perceive average frame rates. You perceive immediate frame rates as they happen. And 35fps is awful for a game that is supposed to be 60fps. You will notice that. I sure did. That is what matters, not the average.

nib95

Banned
ShapeGSX said:
You don't perceive average frame rates. You perceive immediate frame rates as they happen. And 35fps is awful for a game that is supposed to be 60fps. You will notice that. I sure did.

From my experience with the game, this usually only happens in big pile ups or collisions. In other words, where it's not as noticeable. I honestly think people are expecting way too much from this game. If a rare drop to such frame rates but an average of 57fps is what it takes to get the visual fidelity of GT5 with (more importantly) 16 cars in screen, so be it. Those additional cars on the track add a huge amount to the experience.

It's the tearing that they need to work on.

Gowans

Shurs said:
I know how it works.

What I'm saying is that even having the option to rewind should be segregated from those who choose to avoid having the option altogether.
This is basically that but including your friends on the list who used it merging the list together.

I think it's a better solution.

JRW

CozMick said:
So now we have this Nurburgring comparison I notice a few things...........

GT5 lighting owns the shit out of Forza 3
GT5 car models own the shit out of Forza 3
GT5 visual effects own the shit out of Forza 3
GT5 sound owns the shit out of Forza 3
GT5 driving physics own the shit out of Forza 3
GT5 attention to detail owns the shit out of Forza 3
Forza 3 has slightly better shadows than GT5

Now continue your debate on the standard cars and the shadows :lol

The only part I disagree with is sound, The F430 sounds more like a motorcycle in GT5. Sounds pretty weak in comparison to Forza (judging from the comparison video).

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
JRW said:
The only part I disagree with is sound, The F430 sounds more like a motorcycle in GT5. Sounds pretty weak in comparison to Forza (judging from the comparison video).

That's the sad part, a good number of cars sounded good but you've got to admit some of them are recycled from GT5P. But this.... hollly shiiit, The rotary engine and the exhaust notes. yuuumm

skip to 5:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSz2h1b71v0&hd=1

Crisco

Banned
Anyone complaining about the car sounds in GT5: add a decent subwoofer to your HT. Even the tiny 4 bangers rumble the shit out of my living room.

ElNino

iceatcs said:
I wondering what's wrong with it. Is it car physics, or wrong lap scale?
That difference is significant enough to indicate that the track might be off a bit, but it could also be how the car was setup as well I guess.

I'm also wondering why the GT5 times aren't better than real life. All things being equal, you should be able to post better times in any simulation as apposed to real life as you don't need to worry about crossing the threshold and crashing your car. With enough laps you should be able to come pretty close to the perfect lap while in real life there will always be a something left on the track.

Jonsoncao

Banned
http://blog.livedoor.jp/ps360/archives/51645053.html

new analysis of framerate cockpit vs bumper cam

Special Stage Route 7
通常:Avg:43.400fps Min-Max:35.5-53.5fps Tear:70.222%
車内:Avg:37.483fps Min-Max:31.0-45.5fps Tear:60.500%

Chamonix
通常:Avg:52.733fps Min-Max:43.5-58.0fps Tear:84.306%
車内:Avg:47.900fps Min-Max:40.0-54.5fps Tear:78.250%

London
通常:Avg:57.110fps Min-Max:48.5-60.0fps Tear:53.002%
車内:Avg:48.400fps Min-Max:39.5-57.0fps Tear:78.385%

ShapeGSX

Crisco said:
Anyone complaining about the car sounds in GT5: add a decent subwoofer to your HT. Even the tiny 4 bangers rumble the shit out of my living room.

Yeah, GT5 definitely uses the LFE a lot. I have mine hooked up to a subwoofer and two bass shakers mounted under the couch. The bass shakers can actually get annoying since the LFE gets used for music, too. The music is mixed in really low in the game, but the bass from it is off the charts, like it is mixed wrong. It sounds great in movies and for regular music, though. My receiver has Audyssey and I have calibrated the system with the mic in 8 different places.

JRW said:

It's really inconsistent. The Nascars and musclecars sound really good. Most of the new supercars as wel. But I have the suspicion that they re-used the engine sounds samples of GT4 for some of their Premium counterparts.

The stealth SLS especially made a negative impression on me. It sounds like a 4 cylinder with that typical hollow GT4 sound.

sajj316

Jonsoncao said:

Special Stage Route 7

Chamonix

London

... 84% tear rate?? Is that right???

AndyD

aka andydumi
scorpian007 said:
Still, it shouldn't be so dumb that the other drivers don't avoid collisions.

That happens in both games though. There's always glitches or stupid AI videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZQtLAHNs3I&feature=related

His point is that at low levels GT5 AI will make mistakes like that. There is also a video I cant find where the first dozen or so high level AI players avoid a collision fine, and the last few low level AI players fail to avoid it. So it may be an AI design choice, however weird that may be.

nib95

Banned
Jonsoncao said:

Special Stage Route 7

Chamonix

London

Eeek! I thought at night the frame rate would be better! Not worse lol.

PjotrStroganov said:
It's really inconsistent. The Nascars and musclecars sound really good. Most of the new supercars as wel. But I have the suspicion that they re-used the engine sounds samples of GT4 for some of their Premium counterparts.

The stealth SLS especially made a negative impression on me. It sounds like a 4 cylinder with that typical hollow GT4 sound.

They definately worked on samples.

It seems like they got a lot of new samples. Also, it appears that they have a base engine for a brand and just tweak the sounds for each model. (BMW´s have a similar sound, same goes for Ferraris, Hondas, etc).

I just bought my 3000GT VR4 and i tested before modding and it sounded ok. After buying the exaust package, now it really sounds awesome. I hope doing this to the Ferraris helps a bit. They are the only ones so far that i didn´t liked the sound.

For good sounds i also imperative to use the chase view. I know not a lot of people use this one, but for hearing the engine it´s the best.

Trickster

Yoshichan said:
Why would you read anything from Gamereactor anyway? They've always said GT is shit.

did you even click the link? there is nothing to read at that link.

And weren't gamereactor also the site that made the FM2/FM3 image comparisons that some people happily used to point that FM3 didn't look better than FM2?

sdornan

I fired up Forza 3 last night after playing GT5 a decent amount since its release. It surprised me how much better interaction between cars is handled in Forza. When you hit another car at 100 MPH, it feels and sounds like you hit another car at 100 MPH. The car unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end actually reacts to the force of being hit and is displaced accordingly. In GT, it's just a tinny "thud" and both cars keep moving almost as if nothing happened.

Forza's AI is also significantly better than GT5's. In Forza, it actually feels like the other cars are aware that you're on the track. They'll try to cut you off if they can do so without too much risk. I can't really say the same for GT5.

That said, the lighting in GT5 is significantly better. GT5's premium models look quite a bit better than Forza's models, which I think is primarily because of the lighting. Hope Forza 4's lighting is much improved.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Jonsoncao said:

Special Stage Route 7

Chamonix

London
So I guess by Kaz's standard, GT5 is no longer worthy of being considered a videogame?

chris0701

Jonsoncao said:

Special Stage Route 7

Chamonix

London

Does GT5 also set another new record of visual tearing on console game ?

Never remember there is ever one console game have over 60% tearing though.

Jonsoncao said:

Special Stage Route 7

Chamonix

London

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus. Triple-buffering, PD, triple-buffering. I know a torn frame is still a dropped frame, but at least make it less noticeable. They are already targeting 60fps so it's not like input lag will increase to an unacceptable level.

SmokyDave

Should those tearing scores read as '100% = Full Tearing' or '100% = No Tearing'.

It has to be the latter. I've played about 20 hours of GT5 now and whilst I've noticed the tearing, it is nowhere near as bad as those numbers would seem to suggest.

Anyway, my final scores are: Forza 3 - 9.173, GT5 - 9.792. GT5 wins. I cannot show you my workings.

sajj316

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus. Triple-buffering, PD, triple-buffering. I know a torn frame is still a dropped frame, but at least make it less noticeable. They are already targeting 60fps so it's not like input lag will increase to an unacceptable level.

I do hope that PD will be able to patch in MLAA to help improve performance. Time will tell. Since GT6 is historically a ways away, who knows.

SmokyDave said:
Should those tearing scores read as '100% = Full Tearing' or '100% = No Tearing'.

It has to be the latter. I've played about 20 hours of GT5 now and whilst I've noticed the tearing, it is nowhere near as bad as those numbers would seem to suggest.

Anyway, my final scores are: Forza 3 - 9.173, GT5 - 9.792. GT5 wins. I cannot show you my workings.

Say you capture 60 seconds of 60fps footage (60x60), that equals 3600 frames of footage. If 70% = torn, that means 2520 frames will exhibit tearing.

My guess is that the tearing is often located in the top part of the screen where the bright sky usually is, so it will be less noticeable. Sometimes games even hide the tearing in the overscan area that a lot of shitty TVs cut off, such as Prince of Persia 2008 or bizarrely the cutscenes in Vanquish (360) - but this trick is useless for people with a decent screen which doesn't have overscan problems.

1920x1080_overscan2.png

Top Bottom