• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

sajj316

schennmu said:
720p always uses MSAA from what we know. Not sure what sharpen does in 720p.

It would be good to know what each one does so we can tweak the settings to improve performance. I know from the Beyond3D forums that reduce flicker basically turns off temporal AA.

Recommendations on ideal display settings and options?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
cuevas said:
So which game is better? The one that took 5 years to make or the one that took over 2 and released a year ago? I am going to guess the former...

Then you're going to love Too Human.

I have to say, the Forza shot does look a lot closer to the Laguna Seca shot from Google Maps..... Hmmmmm.

granturismo5_229641.jpg

vFaPW.jpg

iam220

ShapeGSX said:
So is running a race again. Races don't really get organized and run every time you want to run against a certain set of cars at a particular track. In real life, once you run a race, that's it. If you didn't win any money, you can't hit restart until you do.

You're already playing a game. It isn't real life. Neither of these things is a cheat mode. Hitting rewind is only just slightly easier than hitting Start then Restart.

Rewind; Welcomed by the casuals because it makes racing more enjoyable for them. Welcomed by the hardcore because they can see its benefit in learning the track during practice. So who does that leave?

Yoritomo said:
You didn't like eternal darkness or legacy of kain?

I only had an N64. But I've never been let down by a developer if they have made multiple quality games in a genre and then made another. Maybe you could help me find an example of that.

ShapeGSX said:
So is running a race again. Races don't really get organized and run every time you want to run against a certain set of cars at a particular track. In real life, once you run a race, that's it. If you didn't win any money, you can't hit restart until you do.

You're already playing a game. It isn't real life. Neither of these things is a cheat mode. Hitting rewind is only just slightly easier than hitting Start then Restart.

You: "Hey, all you guys in the other cars? I totally blew that last corner and it doesn't look like I'm going to win."
Competitior: "WTF?"
You: "Yeah, I'm going to have to ask all of you to line up again at the start for a re-do. Really sorry."

Losing or having a bad finish and restarting in a race game is like resetting the simulation. Rewind is more akin to unlimited credits, and unlimited continues. It's like people who play FPS games and save every 30 seconds, so no matter what they don't lose progress. The race is a continuous event. There is always an element of luck involved. It's like re-rolling the dice in an RPG when you didn't like the first outcome.

Hitting rewind is FAR easier than hitting start then restart. Putting in the perfect race is usually what it takes to win at high levels of competition. One mistake can and should cost you everything. It's a given they couldn't let you use rewind online, I still maintain to include it at all cheapens the game. It's lame.
But whatever, I know Kaz wouldn't do it because he gets it.

sajj316 said:
It would be good to know what each one does so we can tweak the settings to improve performance. I know from the Beyond3D forums that reduce flicker basically turns off temporal AA.

Recommendations on ideal display settings and options?

I started out with 720p because the game looked too blurry to me in 1080p (didn't know about QAA back then). After hearing Quaz's coments I tried 1080p with sharpen and the image quality is very good. I would recommend it to people with 1080p sets any day.

cgcg said:
Actually no. Don't know what technique PD is using here but often the tears don't travel across the whole screen. Example, there might be tears on the windshield wiper but it doesn't affect the rear view mirror which is on the same plane as the screentear of the windshield wiper. A lot of the times you see screen tear *spots* in GT5. You can also see these *spots* easily if you can behind a car that's kicking up a lot of dust/rain.

Right, I've been hunting for evidence of this and I can definitely see 'selective' tearing on the screen on Special Stage Route 7. Go into the tunnel at a good speed and look at the lights in the top right and top left - they appear to tear, yet the middle of the screen is fine. Very strange, yet it could easily give the impression of 70% tearing if you only counted them..

iam220

Death Dealer said:
But whatever, I know Kaz wouldn't do it because he gets it.

Kaz won't do it because he's a bit of a sadist. I mean look at the grinding he wants us to do just to get some of the cars in the game.

I'm more of the opinion that you should let people play your game how ever they want to. If they want to quick save in an fps every 30 seconds, let them. If they want to rewind .. let them. If they want to cheat and unlock all the cars for single player .... let them.

See You Next Wednesday said:

Thanks for the link, some good comparisons in there. This shot shows the difference in environments between GT5 and Forza 3, imo Forza 3 looks a lot more organic, the trees in GT5 don't look that good:

a346ff88.jpg

LCfiner

iam220 said:
Rewind; Welcomed by the casuals because it makes racing more enjoyable for them. Welcomed by the hardcore because they can see its benefit in learning the track during practice. So who does that leave?

Masochists.

or those who believe that playing a video game car simulation is exactly as realistic as driving real cars and any appeal to the nature of video gaming should be struck down.

I will make this suggestion to Forza's rewind that might appease some of the complainers. they should have had a pre-game option to disable rewind entirely, for a credit or xp bonus.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
iam220 said:
Kaz won't do it because he's a bit of a sadist. I mean look at the grinding he wants us to do just to get some of the cars in the game.

I'm more of the opinion that you should let people play your game how ever they want to. If they want to quick save in an fps every 30 seconds, let them. If they want to rewind .. let them. If they want to cheat and unlock all the cars for single player .... let them.
I agree completely. These things are optional, no one forces you to use them.

nib95

Banned
What track are these shots comparing? Latina Seca? I'm sure Gamereactor know this already, but that track is one of the few up res'd PS2 tracks in the game. I.e not the GT5 engine but rather just using higher res old assets. There's dozens of other new fantastic looking tracks. Don't see why if they use some of F2's beat looking tracks in the comparison thy couldn't Do^ the same for GT5.

iam220

nib95 said:
What track are these shots comparing? Latina Seca? I'm sure Gamereactor know this already, but that track is one of the few up res'd PS2 tracks in the game. I.e not the GT5 engine but rather just using higher res old assets. There's dozens of other new fantastic looking tracks. Don't see why if they use some of F2's beat looking tracks in the comparison thy couldn't Do^ the same for GT5.

tehehe

LCfiner

nib95 said:

it's laguna seca.

it's an important track so it's fair to compare the versions that both games have. as a consumer, I don't care if it was up-ported from GT4 or not. I just want to know how they executed the track.

to be honest, i'm really surprised PD didn't redo this track from scratch. it's really famous and fun to drive. I think it deserved to be redone.

beast786

iam220 said:

It is a matter of opinion.

If there are short cuts then it takes away the satisfaction. Even though you did it the hard way.

Like Trophies and achievement. The value is because we know for most casses that these are unlocked due to hard work, hence the reason to go after them and feel like you have accomplish something that would not have been possible any other way.

Again, its a matter of choice from either side. I would like to have a rewind in GT5 for practice runs mode. And that is about it.

iam220

beast786 said:
It is a matter of opinion.

If there are short cuts then it takes away the satisfaction. Even though you did it the hard way.

Like Trophies and achievement. The value is because we know for most casses that these are unlocked due to hard work, hence the reason to go after them and feel like you have accomplish something that would not have been possible any other way.

Again, its a matter of choice from either side. I would like to have a rewind in GT5 for practice runs mode. And that is about it.

Well then trophies and achievements need to be revised. Perhaps only reward trophies to players whom play a certain way. So that those of us who don't give a shit about showing off what we accomplished in a video game don't suffer.

Piggus

JaggedSac said:
Wow. Turn 10 seems to have nailed these real life tracks.

Not all of them. I remember Suzuka being a lot more realistic in GT5 Prologue. The Forza version looked good but there was a lot of bullshit details that don't exist on the real track thrown in just to make it less bland looking.

LS in GT5 was clearly a rush job ported from GT4. Suzuka, the 'Ring, and Fuji are much better examples of tracks that were fully overhauled/rebuilt for GT5.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
iam220 said:
Well then trophies and achievements need to be revised. Perhaps only reward trophies to players whom play a certain way. So that those of us who don't give a shit about showing off what we accomplished in a video game don't suffer.
You are being way too reasonable. This has no place in this thread. I mean it makes sense!

beast786

iam220 said:

Well, that suffering is part of the accomplishment. The game is design to reward people who put time and effort in the game.

If that distiction is not present. Then the reward would not feel that satisfactory.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
beast786 said:
Well, that suffering is part of the accomplishment. The game is design to reward people who put time and effort in the game.

If that distiction is not present. Then the reward would not feel that satisfactory.

All fanboy nonsense aside, you honestly believe that?

iam220

beast786 said:

I see where you're coming from, I really do ... but while for you it may seem like an accomplishment, for me it's a waste of time.

beast786

Painraze said:
All fanboy nonsense aside, you honestly believe that?

That is the same concept in RPG or FPS etc etc. You get rewarded for spending more time. How hard is that to understand, of course keeping All fanboy nonsense aside.

Double D

I just saw this in the GT5 photo thread and laughed. This belongs in this thread :lol I realize it's a standard, but it really has no business being photographed and posted along with all of the other awesome shit I've seen.

Cape%20Ring%20North.jpg

beast786

iam220 said:
I see where you're coming from, I really do ... but while for you it may seem like an accomplishment, for me it's a waste of time.

Again, I am not saying it is a right or wrong decision. But I do believe that there is a good reason behind it. LIke it or not.

Jonsoncao said:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/ps360/archives/51645053.html

new analysis of framerate cockpit vs bumper cam

Special Stage Route 7
通常:Avg:43.400fps Min-Max:35.5-53.5fps Tear:70.222%
車内:Avg:37.483fps Min-Max:31.0-45.5fps Tear:60.500%

Chamonix
通常:Avg:52.733fps Min-Max:43.5-58.0fps Tear:84.306%
車内:Avg:47.900fps Min-Max:40.0-54.5fps Tear:78.250%

London
通常:Avg:57.110fps Min-Max:48.5-60.0fps Tear:53.002%
車内:Avg:48.400fps Min-Max:39.5-57.0fps Tear:78.385%
Wow. What say you now, Kevin Butler?

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
beast786 said:
That is the same concept in RPG or FPS etc etc. You get rewarded for spending more time. How hard is that to understand, of course keeping All fanboy nonsense aside.

A rewind feature (which is optional and hurts your leaderboard standing) doesn't take away from any of that. If you want to "suffer" through the game, then have at it. Enjoy your accomplishments. But there is no reason why you should be concerned with how others are playing the game.

I'm sure one can learn to drive a racing sim on Forza 3 just as easily as GT5 and feel the same reward... in fact, a rewind feature is a very good tool to help newbie driving sim players get a handle on how to play the game without having to restart a race every 2 minutes.

beast786 said:

If that distinction is not present. Then the reward would not feel that satisfactory.

But wouldn't the introduction of a rewind feature at say, the cost of credits, do just that? Would the fact a person would have to race another time to earn credits lost by using that function not be a sufficient amount of 'suffering'?

schennmu said:
RE: Laguna Seca

http://i.imgur.com/mp9Ti.jpg

Only thing that matters in the end.[/QUOTE]

I take exception to that as we have no clue how the times were done, it's completely possible that the person has had more experience with forza 3, and therefore posted better times. If anything I'd argue that the times are too close to call a definitive winner.

les papillons sexuels said:
I take exception to that as we have no clue how the times were done, it's completely possible that the person has had more experience with forza 3, and therefore posted better times. If anything I'd argue that the times are too close to call a definitive winner.

Both games are pretty close but I have no doubt that GT has an edge in accuracy because PD goes the extra mile with this kind of stuff. GT5 Nürburgring is so sick!

And didn't we have the same Laguna Seca graphics comparison already? :lol

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
LCfiner said:
it's laguna seca.

it's an important track so it's fair to compare the versions that both games have. as a consumer, I don't care if it was up-ported from GT4 or not. I just want to know how they executed the track.

to be honest, i'm really surprised PD didn't redo this track from scratch. it's really famous and fun to drive. I think it deserved to be redone.
Yeah, its one of the few tracks I had actually heard of before Gran Turismo 3. Its always been a favorite of mine in these types of games, so it sucks. Oh well.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
schennmu said:
RE: Laguna Seca
Only thing that matters in the end.

No, it's very important, but not "the only thing" that matters.

I could build a $5 game where you pilot around a lifeless car on a lifeless track yet still record a lap time identical to GT5/Forza 3.

I'm not understating the importance of real life = game life but I disagree that it's the only thing that matters.

Fortinbras said:
The 4players comparison is finished. FM3 won.
http://www.4players.de/4players.php/...a_Motorsport_3

Cool, thanks!

Top Bottom