• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

N-Bomb

CrushDance said:
No. Prologue is past 5m now, GT:pSP is over 2m. GT5 will make a lot more money than Forza 3 ever will.

Seriously? What I gather from your reply is that Prologue and PSP cost 0 dollars to produce.

On the other hand, Halo 3 sold alot more copies than GT:pSP and Prologue, so I guess Forza wins?

Yeesh.

Atomski said:
Why do you guys keep talking like you have to play it with kinect? Its just a feature they are adding for the casuals. You and I may not enjoy it but a 6 year old kid may think its freakin awesome. Outside of that being able to tour around the car with the kinect seemed pretty neat but still just a feature. I am sure you will be able to do the same with a controller.

Its just like how Forza 3 has the autobrake feature. Its not like a majority of people are actually using it. Theres probably some kid out there who doesn't understand how to break proper though who would not enjoy the game without it.

Well you know, it's a sim so it's only for elitist hardcore people to play if it's included option like assisted, rewind or anything else then it's not a game. Also not a real sim game if it's not 60fps, have proper wheel support and have full cockpits oh wait, yeah scratch the 60fps and full cockpits, it's now ok to omit those as it's no longer necessary to maintain 60 fps.

N-Bomb

phosphor112 said:
So Forza being out longer allows for a 6 second time difference from real life tracks? Makes perfect sense.

It does! All the OCDs keep attacking these tracks and cars until the times are maxed down. Give people enough time to figure out GT5, and I bet we'll see similar numbers.

N-Bomb said:
Seriously? What I gather from your reply is that Prologue and PSP cost 0 dollars to produce.

On the other hand, Halo 3 sold alot more copies than GT:pSP and Prologue, so I guess Forza wins?

Yeesh.
Didn't know Turn 10 made Halo 3.

N-Bomb

Atomski said:
Why do you guys keep talking like you have to play it with kinect? Its just a feature they are adding for the casuals. You and I may not enjoy it but a 6 year old kid may think its freakin awesome. Outside of that being able to tour around the car with the kinect seemed pretty neat but still just a feature. I am sure you will be able to do the same with a controller.

Its just like how Forza 3 has the autobrake feature. Its not like a majority of people are actually using it. Theres probably some kid out there who doesn't understand how to break proper though who would not enjoy the game without it.

My nephew was so hooked on the F3 demo. He's only 3, but some of the first words he learned were 'Mini', 'Ferrari', and 'Misubibi'. Used autobrake like a champ. :)

iam220

N-Bomb said:
It does! All the OCDs keep attacking these tracks and cars until the times are maxed down. Give people enough time to figure out GT5, and I bet we'll see similar numbers.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but barring any physics changes or exploits, the times that are posted now are likely not going to improve by any more than 0.5 of a second (depending on track length of course) let alone a full 6 seconds ...

Hyoushi

Just downloaded the sample car for the Forza3 Ultimate pack (Porsche 550 Spyder) and decided to take a nice pic of my heel/toe action

amputee.jpg

:drool

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Plippy said:
I finally got to sit down and try out my copy of GT5 with my Fanatec PWTS yesterday. Here are my impressions.

Before we start, however, please understand that I really did want GT5 to be better than FM3. Just as I want FM4 to be better than GT5. I own both consoles and don't have any special affinity for either of them. Unlike, I'd guess, some of the holy crusaders in this thread. And with that, prepare for some GT5 trash-talking!

My first impression was that the presentation was laughably atrocious. From the bizarre opening movie, the Pilotwings-like elevator music (and I'm a jazz lover!), and the cumbersome menus, I began to get worried. Oh, ok, it's time to pick my race outfit. Well, I'd much rather just race, but… okay. Now I have to pick a background color? And a picture? Set my home message? Well, this is irritating. I couldn't help but contrast this to FM3 in which I already would have been guided through the intro with a well-produced voiceover and put into an R8 for a teaser. I felt as if I had gone back in time to 1998.

But I'm a reasonable guy. I realize that the racing is where it all happens, so I'm willing to put up with the clunky presentation. So let's pick a car… don't laugh but the MX5 is one that I know pretty well so let's start there. I had heard that not all cockpits were modeled, but it was a little disappointing to see this realized with my very first ride. I thought that I could overlook this, but I guess I'm just too anal.

I take off in my first race and immediately start noticing some signs of trouble. I don't need to go into the visual problems that people seem so focused on, but needless to say that the game looks great until it doesn't. Then it gets ugly. I can usually overlook texture issues and mild tearing, etc… but framerate drops are hugely disappointing in a racing game. FM3 isn't perfect in visuals, but it seems to usually do okay in the framerate department with a few exceptions.

What I did appreciate at this point was the driving model, particularly with the weight transfer. I play with all assists off and it felt surprisingly good-maybe even better than FM3. However, and this is a big one for me, the lousy rumble, force feedback, and sounds make it extremely hard to get any feedback about the car other than visual feedback. What I mean is that there is little indicator of what's happening when I begin to oversteer, slide, or lose traction. It's an odd sensation when things begin to go wrong, almost as if the back end of the car just gracefully starts to float away with no sign of trouble. The whole driving model feels more organic compared to FM3, which could be a good thing if the haptic and aural feedback were better. I didn't get into tuning to see how this affects the modeling, but this is big for me.

One other issue with the feedback is how GT5 handles the clutch and 6-speed shifter. The clutch has a very, very, small biting point that makes it tricky to feather. More importantly, the clutch will not engage if the accelerator is down even a little bit. It actually throws you into neutral or reverse with no indication that it has interpreted this as a mis-shift. It's surprising that they got this so wrong when FM3 has a pretty good clutch/shifter system despite there being only one wheel that supports this. Bizarre.

I raced more throughout the evening and really did try to give GT5 a chance, but I'm afraid that the problems that I have with it are just too glaring. It's a shame because I think that there's a good game in there and some of the features blow FM3 away. I guess I'll look forward to FM4 at this point and hope that it combines the best of both games. Then again, the talk of Kinect has me a little worried about the future of that series.

I think I'll put GT5 on the shelf in the meantime.
Much like the same impressions others have given, it's all subjective. I pretty much feel the opposite of you. GT5 is amazing.

eso76

I agree one thing fm3 does better is give you a good feedback of your car losing or recovering traction in the middle of a turn. That, and clutch, which you can actually feather, while it's basically just a button you have to push to shift in gt5.

GT5 is better at weight transfer, and everything related: Forza cars just don't roll, even those with a very high ride take turns with almost no 'tilting', which feels and looks wrong, and also translates in not having to worry about harsh body movements when you try to get your car straight again, for example.

4wd cars don't make it absolutely impossible to screw a turn like they did in forza, on the contrary, the Gallardo is a lot harder to keep on the road than i would have expected. I don't know which one is more realistic though. Then again I suspect no one here really knows how a 300+ CV car behaves on track, especially with assists turned off.
I just found it strange that countersteering in that car immediately sends you against the wall in that direction.

I also find it strange to believe the Elise is such a bitch. I don't know if that thing is even possible to steer with a pad; the only time i tried i basically drifted for the entire 2 laps.

There definitely are aspects where GT5 behaves more like a real car, but i can't help thinking sometimes people just declare the less forgiving game the more realistic one, while that may not always be true.

Oh, but then i took a f430 scuderia for a ride and...that thing drives itself. It's on tracks all the time. Accelerating full throttle in the middle of a turn does nothing, for example. I find it hard to believe that's accurate. Oh well, i don't really care either, as long as it's fun. And it is.

Shaneus

frontieruk said:
You mean you can play without using autobrake rewind!?:lol
Yep, in fact, anyone can! It's called a choice:

choice   
[chois]
noun
–noun
1. an act or instance of choosing; selection: Her choice of a computer was made after months of research. His parents were not happy with his choice of friends.
2. the right, power, or opportunity to choose; option: The child had no choice about going to school.
3. the person or thing chosen or eligible to be chosen: This book is my choice. He is one of many choices for the award.
4. an alternative: There is another choice.
5. an abundance or variety from which to choose: that video game offered a wide range of choices

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
LiquidMetal14 said:
Much like the same impressions others have given, it's all subjective. I pretty much feel the opposite of you. GT5 is amazing.
His comments on the clutch behavior don't really sound that subjective.

EagleEyes

LiquidMetal14 said:
No offense, but you were going to love GT5 regardless. You have feverishly defended it before it came out and I see no reason why you wouldn't after it came out. You would look silly if you backed off your "GT5 is amazing" opinion after calling people out for 5 years.

Hyoushi said:
Just downloaded the sample car for the Forza3 Ultimate pack (Porsche 550 Spyder) and decided to take a nice pic of my heel/toe action

amputee.jpg

:drool

I didn't know Forza also went with the standard and premium split like GT?

EagleEyes said:
No offense, but you were going to love GT5 regardless. You have feverishly defended it before it came out and I see no reason why you wouldn't after it came out. You would look silly if you backed off your "GT5 is amazing" opinion after calling people out for 5 years.

Why would anyone be concerned about looking silly in the face of playing a game that they don't like? There is no politics here to promote such a thing.

travisbickle said:
I didn't know Forza also went with the standard and premium split like GT?
The problem is that while in gameplay the interior of the car is always blacked out and super simple, because this is an open top car it suffers the same fate, and in photo mode it looks like the car is still lacking detail.

CozMick

Banned
Am I missing something or does that driver have no damn feet? :lol

EDIT :: Oh and laughing my fucking arse off at the .jpeg name :lol :lol

Bravo Hyoushi :D

Xun

CozMick said:
I forgot you can look at feet in Forza 3 and most driving games! :lol

Why model something if it's not shown?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Xun said:
I forgot you can look at feet in Forza 3 and most driving games! :lol

Why model something if it's not shown?

CozMick said:

He steps on the gas with the right trigger.

... :lol ...

You know better CozMick c'mon :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
EagleEyes said:
You're singling me out as "that" guy? I've been a long time fan, and asside from some things which are legit, the experience is amazing. I'm not defending anything. The fact of the matter is everyone is entitled to their opinions. I happen to disagree with most of the nitpicks. The driving itself is world class. People say they hate the music, that is another facepalm enducing remark since the music is all class. I'm sure we're over the standard car thing by now but some can still bring that up like it's a negativec to have the added 800 cars.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Well the FM3 car looks like it doesn't have jaggies and the shadows (not lighting) looks a hell of a lot better, it's sharper texture wise but the poly count is lower.

Oh and the tires look much better on the FM 3 car as well.

Slayer-33 said:
Well the FM3 car looks like it doesn't have jaggies and the shadows (not lighting) looks a hell of a lot better, it's sharper texture wise but the poly count is lower.

That's because the GT one is realtime in-game before a photo is taken, when you take the shot it tidies up all that.

Slayer-33 said:

well, Forza cars HAVE jaggies in gameplay.. so í'm still not sure what this image is all about.

the shadows in tha GT5 pic are just fucking horrible though.

jett

D-Member
Slayer-33 said:

It's photomode, that's why it looks jaggie-free and the shadows are perfect.

And before you ask how do I know, games that only have 2XMSAA don't look like that.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
jett said:

And before you ask how do I know, games that only have 2XMSAA don't look like that.

I think both were frame buffer grabs, the FM3 shot doesn't look processed at all same for the GT one.

Jonsoncao

Banned
mil6es said:
the GT pic is compressed to hell, look at the button icons
I just entered photomode in a race replay in GT5, the UI does seem to have some slight jaggies on it

also Forza 3 does have better tires, this was from some pages ago

1mDyt.jpg

shinnn

jett said:

you should know just because of the HUD..

but the GT5 shot is photomode too?

Top Bottom