• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

CozMick

Banned
C'mon guys If you're gonna post comparisons at least be fair

GT5
5211158059_ed8614c966_b.jpg

Forza 3
FM3_2010_Mercedes_Benz_C63_AMG_2.jpg

shinnn said:
you should know just because of the HUD..

but the GT5 shot is photomode too?

It is photomode as in you are about to take a photo but it doesn't apply any techniques to improve the image quality till after you "take the photo".

mil6es

Jonsoncao said:
I just entered photomode in a race replay in GT5, the UI does seem to have some slight jaggies on it

also Forza 3 does have better tires, this was from some pages ago

not disputing that, Im just saying the picture looks very compressed due to the jaggys on the button icons.

Also the forza picture is from photomode where the picture and assets in them is already rendered to the highest possible quality and the GT picture is from the walk around mode straight out of gameplay

two different scenarios

shinnn

travisbickle said:
It is photomode as in you are about to take a photo but it doesn't apply any techniques to improve the image quality till after you "take the photo".
So it's the same situation. Pause (FM3 in-game/GT5 replay) -> Photomode.

But GT5 have an additional screen with improvements before take the final shot, right? Or the final shot differs from what do you see on the screen?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
T10 should remove that shitty 75KB limit on pics.. Allow full quality even if it's 1 pic at a time, it'll be nice to be able to do bullshots (better quality) although they wont come close to most of the GT 5 ones but would be much better than what we see at the moment.

mil6es

shinnn said:
So it's the same situation. Pause (FM3 in-game/GT5 replay) -> Photomode.

But GT5 have an additional screen with improvements before take the final shot, right? Or the final shot differs from what do you see on the screen?

nope in GT you dont see full detail until you see the final product of the shot, this counts for photos from replay like shown above

photo travel looks much better from the offset

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Slayer-33 said:
T10 should remove that shitty 75KB limit on pics.. Allow full quality even if it's 1 pic at a time, it'll be nice to be able to do bullshots (better quality) although they wont come close to most of the GT 5 ones but would be much better than what we see at the moment.
Isn't there a weird photo-stitch thing you can do to get around the limit? I recall Jube and m0dus doing something like that.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
XiaNaphryz said:
Isn't there a weird photo-stitch thing you can do to get around the limit? I recall Jube and m0dus doing something like that.

Yeah its a method that yields pretty nice results but it tedious as shit to do it.

4072786145_0b995e9087.jpg
G rom posted

4073544406_4baed03357_b.jpg
G rom posted

2hqxbbd.jpg
Mine

One I did a long ass time ago :lol yeah I fail

mil6es

XiaNaphryz said:

that is long winded, people shouldn't have to do that

EDIT:

actually has anyone done that with GT just for kicks?

TylerD

soundscream said:
Bull Shit. Playing in cockpit view I am alway looking down track in the middle of the screen and the tearing is everywhere. EviLore even posted in the review thread he had to stop playing because of it. Have your opinion but dont start making stuff up like the screen tearing isn't noticeable.

This is so stupid. Is it so hard to grasp that maybe some people never\hardly notice screen tearing? To be completely honest, I never noticed it until someone on GAF actually explained what it was to me and now I always notice it and my experiences in many games are now negatively impacted.

I feel bad for people that ask what it is now because likely they aren't "really" noticing it and then after it is explained to them they are going to always see that shit.

The tearing is not that bad in bumper cam view.

shinnn

mil6es said:
nope in GT you dont see full detail until you see the final product of the shot, this counts for photos from replay like shown above

photo travel looks much better from the offset
uh oh.. that's shocking. So we can call the photomode in GT5 a bullshot generator? since you never see it in real-time?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Slayer-33 said:
Yeah its a method that yields pretty nice results but it tedious as shit to do it.

4072786145_0b995e9087.jpg
G rom

One I did a long ass time ago :lol yeah I fail

Damn! That looks like the Xenos tessellation hard at work, the amount of quads is at pixel level :lol :bow ATI :bow

BTW, I read this thread a few pages ago and somebody was mentioning the amount of polygons per mesh in a Forza model during photo mode. When tessellation is applied, the amount of polygons in a mesh is of little importance since only the vertices are taken into account to generate a curve (which technically contains infinite polygons). From then on the tessellation fills the curve with as many polygons as its GPU can render.

LCfiner

shinnn said:
uh oh.. that's shocking. So we can call the photomode in GT5 a bullshot generator? since you never see it in real-time?

photomode is a bullshot generator just for the much improved shadows, super sampling and resolution for everything .

but it’s such a lovely, lovely bullshot generator. I really like it :D

mil6es

shinnn said:

.......but then the same would be said for Forza's photomode???

troll fail??

Slayer-33 said:

FM3's photomode is shit just because of that.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
godhandiscen said:
BTW, I read this thread a few pages ago and somebody was mentioning the amount of polygons per mesh in a Forza model during photo mode. When tessellation is applied, the amount of polygons in a mesh is of little importance since only the vertices are taken into account to generate a curve (which technically contains infinite polygons). From then on the tessellation fills the curve with as many polygons as its GPU can render.

Your post ---> -------------

My head ---> -------------

Jonsoncao

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Your post ---> -------------

My head ---> -------------

what he means was originally we use only one linear polynomial to interpolate between vertices to construct the mesh(geometry grids), now we are allowed to used as many piecewise linear polynomials as possible to interpolate among vertices, the idea is similar to me n my fellow researchers use multigrid in fluid simulation on super computer

N-Bomb

Look, if you hate cars and yourself, and more or less just want to bang your head against broken rocks while molesting multiple disabled children in a concentration camp, you'll probably prefer GT5.

For those of us with more refined tastes, who prefer proper shadows... the choice is clear.

N-Bomb said:
Look, if you hate cars and yourself, and more or less just want to bang your head against broken rocks while molesting multiple disabled children in a concentration camp, you'll probably prefer GT5.

For those of us with more refined tastes, who prefer proper shadows... the choice is clear.

PGR4

Agreed.

-viper-

Banned
N-Bomb said:

Wow.

That's pretty fucked up, even for this thread.

Good fucking job.

Rainier

N-Bomb said:

Man, someone's just begging for a tag.

CozMick

Banned
N-Bomb said:

Yep, My time to leave this thread.

Dude, that's just wrong!

LCfiner

UltimateIke said:
There are people in this thread that like both games, right?

I think they're both a lot of fun. :(

(raises hand.)

I like this thread quite a bit as it keeps the official threads clean of BS. it’s also very funny sometimes.

BlazeDSM

Jonsoncao said:
what he means was originally we use only one linear polynomial to interpolate between vertices to construct the mesh(geometry grids), now we are allowed to used as many piecewise linear polynomials as possible to interpolate among vertices, the idea is similar to me n my fellow researchers use multigrid in fluid simulation on super computer

You lost me.

N-Bomb

On a serious note, the last GT game I really liked was GT2. Even before Forza came around, the handling in GT3 really turned me off. I kinda just subsisted on NFS and Burnout games for a while. Forza, I took to right away.

How does the handling compare between the two games, is there something in either that you could say is kind of 'definitive' feel for its game?

UltimateIke said:
There are people in this thread that like both games, right?

I think they're both a lot of fun. :(

Well, mine GT5 LE finally show up today from Amazon. After install and update (faster than I anticipated) I purchased my first used car ... yeah it's ugly. I am only level 2 and just bought my first Premium car and the difference between the two is pretty obvious.

Driving with Fanatec wheel is just plain awesome. I think shifting is easier than Forza 3 with clutch but I am not sure how I feel about the game throw the car into neutral when you incorrectly clutch/shift. I didn't feel the menu was as bad as some people feel but the navigation can be clunky at time. Load time really suck and there are plenty of it. A few things really bug me the frame rate dip (can be quite jarring at time), the tearing (I am not sure how people said they don't notice this) and last the standard cars.. ugh.. from the lack of cockpit to the low poly counts. Shadows are also pretty ugly in this game not sure what happen between Prologue and this.

The driving though is just heavenly. I can't imagine why anyone could just not enjoy both games. They are both excellent racing sim for consoles.

edit: oh yeah, GT5:LE blown away Forza 3 LE. Dear Microsoft please put more thought into your flagship game that is not Halo.

N-Bomb said:

Wow, well at least your true feelings are coming out now. I know there's trolling going on in here, but it seems you have no intention of even giving GT5 a chance. So why bother?

Edit: o, he's banned. nvm

Shaneus

mil6es said:
this must be the hardest thread on Gaf to get banned in but people still find a way:lol
Not really, I was banned for something pretty tame (IMO) in this thread around August or so. Deathly fucking paranoid about it happening again.

shinnn

Metalmurphy said:
You can in the same way you can in GT5 as well. You don't see the added AA and resolution. Works the same on both.
No, I see the same AA and resolution of final shot in FM3. Inside the photomode, but in real-time.

28iybf6.jpg

RS4-

I forgot about photostitching; I wonder how that'd turn out in the GT photomode shots which look so good already.

nib95

Banned
shinnn said:
No, I see the same AA and resolution of final shot in FM3. Inside the photomode, but in real-time.

28iybf6.jpg

That's not real time dude. That's photo mode despite the photo not being taken yet. You can tell by the amount of AA. F3 is jaggier than GT5 generally. 2xAA at 720p instead of GT5's 4xAA. GT5 only uses 2xAA in it's 1080p mode from my recollection. The above pic is definitely not 2xAA.

Top Bottom