• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

saladine1

OK,so here's a little comparison vid of 3 cars from GT and FM:
Lotus Elise,Ferrari F40 and Ford Mustang GT. Chase cam and cockpit cam.
It's a little geeky I know but I love all things audio when it comes to car sounds.
:
FM3 vs GT5 Sound Comparison
:
No video footage was used as I didn't want any distractions,specifically graphics comparisons:)

SmokyDave

saladine1 said:
It's a little geeky I know but I love all things audio when it comes to car sounds.
:
Thanks for that, very interesting. Good choice of cars too, even though both the Mustang and the F40 have V8's, they sound very different.

No doubt Forza has the edge, especially in cockpit view.

We need a 'Your Favourite Exhaust Note' topic over in OT. Mine would be either the BRM V16 or any of the early 80's Audi 5 pot turbos.

saladine1 said:
:
:
No video footage was used as I didn't want any distractions,specifically graphics comparisons:)

Sound is all messed up :/

Apex

Crag Dweller said:
This rivalry has been going on at gaf since Forza 1 came out. :lol
In order, GT vs XXX:

-Metropolis Street Racer (Dreamcast, 2000)
-Sega GT (Dreamcast, 2000)
-Project Gotham Racing (Xbox, 2001)
-Sega GT 2002 (Xbox, 2002)
-Racing Evoluzione[Apex] (Xbox, 2003)
-Group S Challenge (Xbox, 2003)
-Project Gotham Racing 2 (Xbox, 2003)
-Sega GT Online (Xbox, 2004)
-Forza Motorsport (Xbox, 2005)
-Project Gotham Racing 3 (Xbox 360, 2005)
-Forza Motorsport 2 (Xbox 360, 2007)
-Project Gotham Racing 4 (Xbox 360, 2007)
-Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360, 2009)
-Forza Motorsport 4 (Xbox 360, 20xx)

MYE

RotBot said:
From a GTPlanet thread. Underside texture from a die-cast model complete with AutoArt logo and philips head screws. I'm guessing this is a standard car?

EifelCircuit.jpg

Holy shit :lol

h3ro

Apex said:
In order, GT vs XXX:

You forgot Auto Modellista.

SmokyDave

Apex said:
In order, GT vs XXX:

I remember being absolutely in love with this game. Then GT3 came out and I compared the Celica GT4 between both games. GT3 was obviously light years ahead. I couldn't wait to see Bizarre leapfrog GT3 with the release of Metropolis Street Racer 2. As we know now, that never happened :(

h3ro said:
You forgot Auto Modellista.
I wish I could. Only driving game I've ever completed using an arcade stick.

LCfiner

MSR and Sega GT took away so many hours of my life.

I remember Sega GT being insanely difficult to control at the time. a feather touch on the analog stick was needed or you'd fly off the damn course.

it also had a great ad in the official DC mag:

"Go Kicky Fast!"

gogogow

SmokyDave said:
I remember being absolutely in love with this game. Then GT3 came out and I compared the Celica GT4 between both games. GT3 was obviously light years ahead. I couldn't wait to see Bizarre leapfrog GT3 with the release of Metropolis Street Racer 2. As we know now, that never happened :(
It did happen and the game is called PGR. It even has the same kudos system.

jett

D-Member
Apex said:
In order, GT vs XXX:

You're forgetting a lot more. Nearly every multiplatform racer this gen that's semi-serious has been compared to GT5. I still remember some people in this forum saying that games like GRID and DIRT looked better and that GT5P had been dethroned or some such bullshit.

Apex

jett said:
You're forgetting a lot more. Nearly every multiplatform racer this gen that's semi-serious has been compared to GT5. I still remember some people in this forum saying that games like GRID and DIRT looked better and that GT5P had been dethroned or some such bullshit.
I left all the multi platform titles out, there's always more rabid comparisons with the exclusives, but yeah PC gamers use them to compare.

Dead Man

saladine1 said:
:
:
Thanks for that. GT sound is still fail, Damnit!

shinnn

saladine1 said:
:
:
Forza destroys GT.

Can you make a comparison with Japanese cars? I think japanese cars have better sounds in GT.

SmokyDave

gogogow said:
It did happen and the game is called PGR. It even has the same kudos system.
PGR is a pale imitation of MSR. It just doesn't have the same feel or atmosphere. Losing the real-time clock sucked as well.

Edit: It's also worth mentioning that the cars in MSR had working disc brakes. You could pull up, tweak the brakes and watch the calipers moving. I've never seen that in any other racing game since.

LCfiner

Another good DC racer was Test Drive LeMans.

hey, you could drive a 24 hour real time race if you were crazy enough. realtime day night cycle :)

jett

D-Member
Test Drive LeMans on the DC was fucking awesome. Loved the visuals, the driving model, everything about the game.

saladine1 said:
:
:

5 years of work for garbage engine sound. :thumbsup PD.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jett said:
You are an idiot if you don't think that Dirt 2 DX11 on PC doesn't goddamn obliterate every shared visual feature with GT5 and GT5P other than the premium cars.

I mean, have you seen the game maxed out on PC at 60 fps? It looks incredible.

skyfinch

LCfiner said:
Another good DC racer was Test Drive LeMans.

hey, you could drive a 24 hour real time race if you were crazy enough. realtime day night cycle :)

Loved that game, and still have it for my DC. I managed to get through the 24 hours. Took about a week, as you can save your progress during pit stops. Completed it gets you the Toyota One, if I remember correctly.

jett

D-Member
Stallion Free said:
You are an idiot if you don't think that Dirt 2 DX11 on PC doesn't goddamn obliterate every shared visual feature with GT5 and GT5P other than the premium cars.

I mean, have you seen the game maxed out on PC at 60 fps? It looks incredible.

What's wrong with you?

I said Grid and Dirt, not Dirt 2.

knee

SmokyDave said:

The original Metropolis Street Racer was GREAT.

To this day, I still wish that racing games had radio stations. :D

jett said:
Test Drive LeMans on the DC was fucking awesome. Loved the visuals, the driving model, everything about the game.

Another great DC driving game. Used to be my favorite version of Nurburgring

jett

D-Member
Stallion Free said:
Grid kinda falls in the same boat as Dirt 2 on PC.

I've played Grid at 1080p@60fps. It's a fucking ugly and unpleasant-looking game, no matter what resolution you run it at. Even more so on consoles, which is where the comparisons were made years ago.

Stallion Free said:
Grid kinda falls in the same boat as Dirt 2 on PC.
nah. i disagree on that. the IQ of the DX9 lighting is awful even on the PC version of GRiD.

remember, GRiD doesn't have the DX11 mode that Dirt 2 has.

plagiarize said:
nah. i disagree on that. the IQ of the DX9 lighting is awful even on the PC version of GRiD.

remember, GRiD doesn't have the DX11 mode that Dirt 2 has.
Isn't the only thing that you get form DX11 in DRIT2 a slightly higher contrast level and tessellation?

SmokyDave said:
PGR is a pale imitation of MSR. It just doesn't have the same feel or atmosphere. Losing the real-time clock sucked as well.

Edit: It's also worth mentioning that the cars in MSR had working disc brakes. You could pull up, tweak the brakes and watch the calipers moving. I've never seen that in any other racing game since.

This, oh this. MSR devoured my life for so long. Night driving at 4am in London was just ridiculous. I miss it so.

Piggus

SmokyDave said:
Thanks for that, very interesting. Good choice of cars too, even though both the Mustang and the F40 have V8's, they sound very different.

No doubt Forza has the edge, especially in cockpit view.

We need a 'Your Favourite Exhaust Note' topic over in OT. Mine would be either the BRM V16 or any of the early 80's Audi 5 pot turbos.

What do you mean ESPECIALLY in cockpit view? Is the car supposed to sound the same on the inside as it does on the outside?

Some of you people making comparisons sound like you've never been in a car before. These comparisons mean nothing unless there's a real life comparison as well.

Cuban Legend said:
Isn't the only thing that you get form DX11 in DRIT2 a slightly higher contrast level and tessellation?
nope.

the DX9 version has full screen pixel shaders that are based on a quarter resolution version of the image scaled to full screen. this gives the game a blurred vaseline kind of look. you can see it in both Dirts and Grid (and I'd bet F1). in DX11 the pixel shaders are done on the full resolution image, and as such the DX11 version has much sharper IQ.

some people claim they can't see the difference. i don't take those people's opinion on IQ seriously ever again.

chifanpoe

GuessWho said:
no doubt about it FM3 destroys GT5 in the sound department, but we all knew that anyways.

The engine sound from the cars I would assume you are saying?

From outside of the car GT5 sound pretty good.

GT5 puts out 7.1 PCM lossless audio that is pretty highend...

sajj316

What do you think of the possibility of PD replacing the standard cars with premium via patches or DLC. This could be a way to even out the ratio of standard versus premium. Heck some of the premium models are ready for GT6!

jett

D-Member
sajj316 said:
What do you think of the possibility of PD replacing the standard cars with premium via patches or DLC. This could be a way to even out the ratio of standard versus premium. Heck some of the premium models are ready for GT6!

Took them 5 years to model 200 cars. It would take 'em 20 years to replace all the standard cars. I don't think the ratio is ever going to even out, unless we start hearing that PD hired fuckloads more people. :p

...which they should!

SmokyDave said:

I really enjoyed MSR but I feel like PGR improved on the idea immensely. While some things were missing from MSR - I'm not entirely sure they were integral to the game or it's atmosphere.

As for PGR - I loved 1 & 2, didnt really get into 3 and bought the 4th on release but didn't give it much time. When I took GT5 back I decided that I was definitely in the mood for something more arcade based and put PGR4 back in. Wow. Cannot believe I didnt fall in love with it instantly when I purchased it - it's brilliant. Graphics are fantastic, sound/music is top notch, gameplay is varied while never straying from it's kudos formula. It's just a shame the online MP player count is so low - it pretty much means I can only do private/customs with friends - who for the most part - do not own/play the game.

Also based on an earlier recommendation I grabbed NFS:hot pursuit and have been playing the shit out of it. It's fucking awesome, best nfs/burnout game by a mile and is incredible to look at. My only complaint is the lack of a manual gearbox option (which I find unusual as it seems to implement transmissions/shifts fairly realistically) and there are so many crests that lead to traffic insta-crash.

sajj316

jett said:
Took them 5 years to model 200 cars. It would take 'em 20 years to replace all the standard cars. I don't think the ratio is ever going to even out, unless we start hearing that PD hired fuckloads more people. :p

...which they should!

I don't believe for a second that it took that long to model all those cars. I bet they went through multiple revisions with the model as damage probably added to the project plan late in the game. I really do see this game evolving. How will this game be 6 months or even a year from now?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
While the idea of replacing the shit models with premium sounds great, I doubt they'd offer that kind of content for free.

duk

Banned
i bet they will update GT5 through the next 3-4 years til GT6 comes out with:
- better models
- online features
- car sounds
- stable FPS

Jonsoncao

Banned
duk said:
i bet they will update GT5 through the next 3-4 years til GT6 comes out with:
- better models
- online features
- car sounds
- stable FPS
I surely hope so but I doubt 1,3 or 4 is gonna happen...

Top Bottom