• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Jonsoncao said:
I surely hope so but I doubt 1,3 or 4 is gonna happen...

Yeah I definitely cannot see better sounds being patched or DLC in. Car models maybe, but best case scenario is a hand full of premiums over the next few years. And stable FPS is doubtful too, possible perhaps, bit slim chances.

nib95

Banned
Stripper13 said:
Yeah I definitely cannot see better sounds being patched or DLC in. Car models maybe, but best case scenario is a hand full of premiums over the next few years. And stable FPS is doubtful too, possible perhaps, bit slim chances.

Stable fps? Again with that crap...tearing...perhaps I could agree. But in the tests you speak of the average frame rate in the majority of them is like 57fps. I know you keep glossing over this, but an average (keyword being average) frame rate of 57fps is pretty damn stable. Especially for a game running at 1080p running the crap GT5 is.

Frame rate drops in big pile ups or collisions are to be expected in any and all racers. Pretty standard stuff. Problem with GT5 is not the frame rate but the screen tear.

nib95 said:
Stable fps? Again with that crap...tearing...perhaps I could agree. But in the tests you speak of the average frame rate in the majority of them is like 57fps. I know you keep glossing over this, but an average (keyword being average) frame rate of 57fps is pretty damn stable. Especially for a game running at 1080p running the crap GT5 is.

Frame rate drops in big pile ups or collisions are to be expected in any and all racers. Pretty standard stuff. Problem with GT5 is not the frame rate but the screen tear.
average framerate can't tell you about stability.

i'm not suggesting that it isn't stabile, cause i haven't played it, and i recognise that 60 fps is the maximum frame rate, so it can't spend much time below 60fps, but with an average of 57fps you could be spending 2/3rds of the time at 60 and 1/3rd of the time at fifty. it could be flicking back and forth every second or so.

that wouldn't be stable at all (and i am not claiming it does this).

i'm just trying to say that you can't say an average framerate of X is stable. an unstable framerate is one that fluctuates wildly over time. taking an average makes it impossible to know how large the fluctuations are and how common they are.

nib95

Banned
plagiarize said:
average framerate can't tell you about stability.

i'm not suggesting that it isn't stabile, cause i haven't played it, and i recognise that 60 fps is the maximum frame rate, so it can't spend much time below 60fps, but with an average of 57fps you could be spending 2/3rds of the time at 60 and 1/3rd of the time at fifty. it could be flicking back and forth every second or so.

that wouldn't be stable at all (and i am not claiming it does this).

i'm just trying to say that you can't say an average framerate of X is stable. an unstable framerate is one that fluctuates wildly over time. taking an average makes it impossible to know how large the fluctuations are and how common they are.

I get where you're coming from, but if a game is supposed to run at 60fps and the average frame rate recorded is 57fps, I still personally think that it could be regarded as a very stable frame rate, as it means no matter what drops there were or were not, they weren't nearly enough to bring the average down much beyond the suggested ideal.

Even in your scenario of 2/3's 60fps, 1/3 50fps, that's still a pretty solid frame rate. As a drop to 50fps is still not much of a drop at all. Bigger spikes are more problematic, but still not to much of a degree if only during big pile ups and still not enough to drop the average below 57fps.

I'm guessing the frame rate average is less in rain/night tracks. But it's not so bad as you're driving a lot slower with rain gushing everywhere anyway.

The premium/standard split in GT5 is really starting to get me down. I now know that I'd rather have 400+ well detailed models, with cockpits and full customization than 200+ ultra detailed models, seemingly picked at random, but mostly from Japanese manufacturers.

Let me give an example of the kinds of annoyances you'll run into.

Say a race event requires a classic Japanese car from 1979 or earlier. If you already have a bunch of cars in your garage there's no problem, as they provide a button that filters cars you own by the requirements of the selected race. Great. Nice.

But say you don't have one on hand, which is likely considering its a beginner event. If you're like me and restricting yourself only to premium cars (cockpit or no deal) than you're left to wander through each manufacturers storefront scouring the selection for the right car, load times included. In this particular case there are no matching cars, unless there's one hidden somewhere. And within the dealerships menu there is no way to sort by year, country, drivetrain, or anything for that matter. Its pure old school sequential menus. Its jarring and needlessly cumbersome.

After playing for a few days now, the only positive accolades I can award to GT5 are:

1. The actual driving experience. I love it to death.
2. The variety on offer in terms of circuit racing, Rally and Nascar, along with weather and lighting transitions. This variety is very limited within its own category though, so not many tracks have weather and lighting transitions, etc.

Everything else is either uninspired, too limited, rushed, or just plain aggravating. There are way too many menu screens and very little affordance for what a player is likely to want or to do from each screen.

Tearing and object pop-in is a regular occurrence in just about every level I've played, whether on a practice ride or filled with other cars. I wouldn't usually be one to bitch about 2D crowd models either if it wasn't so blatantly obvious in some tracks that its impossible not to stop and stare in awe. And the kicker: the AI is the absolute worst I've experienced in any racer to date. This has the biggest effect on the actual racing gameplay for me, since the other cars on the track aren't beholden to the same rules you're expected to follow. Expect to get rammed by any nearby cars. They actually make the drivers in NFS: Shift seem civil, and that's saying something.

I'll have to echo some familiar sentiments: What the hell took them five years of development time? Do they need to farm out some of their workload? Is Polyphony just not up to delivering a next gen game in any reasonable time frame?

All of this has me looking at what Turn 10 has managed to do in a new light.

I'm not going to pick a bone with a lot of that stuff, because some of it is just a matter of taste, but everytime someone bitches about the AI in GT5 and then praises the one in Forza, this is really, really beyond me. I don't know how many times the AI in Forza has completely taken me out of the race! In GT5 they seem to be well aware of my presence in a turn, which is where it is the most important (biggest potential for being taken out). Heck they even move over if I'm coming up on them and I'm going at much higher speed.

If the AI rams you, maybe it's time to think about your driving lines and braking points, and consider whether or not a human being would have been able to avoid hittnig you in that car.

Maastricht said:
I'm not going to pick a bone with a lot of that stuff, because some of it is just a matter of taste, but everytime someone bitches about the AI in GT5 and then praises the one in Forza, this is really, really beyond me. I don't know how many times the AI in Forza has completely taken me out of the race! In GT5 they seem to be well aware of my presence in a turn, which is where it is the most important (biggest potential for being taken out). Heck they even move over if I'm coming up on them and I'm going at much higher speed.

If the AI rams you, maybe it's time to think about your driving lines and braking points, and consider whether or not a human being would have been able to avoid hittnig you in that car.
You're not wrong here. I've run into particular cars in Forza 3 that have seemed to have a rabid blood feud with me (I'm looking at you Dodge Viper), but that was more the exception than the rule. In GT5 its safe to assume that other cars will treat you as if you weren't there for the most part. My driving style is to avoid other cars whenever I can - I don't load up a sim racer to play dirty or get an extra bump into a turn. Clean overtakes are the name of the game.

Now maybe if I had better driving skill I could avoid some of the hassles I've experienced in GT5, thats true. But there is absolutely no reason to get bumped by cars behind me, on a straightaway without me slamming on the breaks and asking for it. I'm surprised this never happens for me in Forza considering the rear view mirror is usually worthless.

Chrange

Banned
nib95 said:

You should really look at all of them, not just the one where it managed to average 57 fps. :lol

Haunted

Dreams-Visions said:
if not, where would 3 or 4 years worth of work go, exactly?
...into the next game? The same place the years of work after GT4 went? So...160 new premium cars for GT6.

NullPointer said:
The premium/standard split in GT5 is really starting to get me down. I now know that I'd rather have 400+ well detailed models, with cockpits and full customization than 200+ ultra detailed models, seemingly picked at random, but mostly from Japanese manufacturers.

Let me give an example of the kinds of annoyances you'll run into.

Say a race event requires a classic Japanese car from 1979 or earlier. If you already have a bunch of cars in your garage there's no problem, as they provide a button that filters cars you own by the requirements of the selected race. Great. Nice.

But say you don't have one on hand, which is likely considering its a beginner event. If you're like me and restricting yourself only to premium cars (cockpit or no deal) than you're left to wander through each manufacturers storefront scouring the selection for the right car, load times included. In this particular case there are no matching cars, unless there's one hidden somewhere. And within the dealerships menu there is no way to sort by year, country, drivetrain, or anything for that matter. Its pure old school sequential menus. Its jarring and needlessly cumbersome.
This could've been easily avoided with the introduction of a "premium" mode which only uses the premium cars, for you and your opponents.

Trickster

nib95 said:
I get where you're coming from, but if a game is supposed to run at 60fps and the average frame rate recorded is 57fps, I still personally think that it could be regarded as a very stable frame rate, as it means no matter what drops there were or were not, they weren't nearly enough to bring the average down much beyond the suggested ideal.

Even in your scenario of 2/3's 60fps, 1/3 50fps, that's still a pretty solid frame rate. As a drop to 50fps is still not much of a drop at all. Bigger spikes are more problematic, but still not to much of a degree if only during big pile ups and still not enough to drop the average below 57fps.

I'm guessing the frame rate average is less in rain/night tracks. But it's not so bad as you're driving a lot slower with rain gushing everywhere anyway.

wasn't that 57 fps number just the average number that managed to get closests to 60 fps? I remember seeing numbers saying somewhere around 40 as average.

Haunted said:
This could've been easily avoided with the introduction of a "premium" mode which only uses the premium cars, for you and your opponents.
That would certainly help.

But they'd also have to change the race requirements to allow you the option of using more premium cars. It'd also be nice to get a decent premium car as a reward once in a while too.

At the end of the day though, the whole premium/standard split was just a bad idea, through and through. You can't even look at the standard cars as an extra "bonus", since the way the game is designed (at least the early game that I've played) the premium cars are the "bonus" and the standard cars are the meat and potatoes.

I did win one premium car so far. A German jeep from the 40s.

So GameTrailers has done another one of those GT5 vs. Forza 3 videos and for a moment it gives a nice closeup of Zonda R's rear end in both games. Now, I know people have been saying that Forza's models are not really of the same quality as GT5's Premium cars and in some instances I would agree. The scale of certain elements sometimes just feels wrong in Forza. But in other cases, I would say that modeling in Forza is actually more accurate:

zondargt5fm3.jpg

Maastricht said:
I'm not going to pick a bone with a lot of that stuff, because some of it is just a matter of taste, but everytime someone bitches about the AI in GT5 and then praises the one in Forza.

I'm at level 20 at the moment and I have to say that the GT5 AI is really annoying at times. The AI drives like you aren't there and bumps into your car without any consequences (for the AI). They're like trucks that push you out of their way. Things like that never happened to me in FM2 or FM3. It is true that the FM AI has it's own problems but the GT5 AI is really bad.

I've played GT since the first one and I really think the AI is one of the biggest problems of this series. Other than that GT5 is great.

nib95

Banned
Fortinbras said:
I'm at level 20 at the moment and I have to say that the GT5 AI is really annoying at times. The AI drives like you aren't there and bumps into your car without any consequences (for the AI). They're like trucks that push you out of their way. Things like that never happened to me in FM2 or FM3. It is true that the FM AI has it's own problems but the GT5 AI is really bad.

I've played GT since the first one and I really think the AI is one of the biggest problems of this series. Other than that GT5 is great.

Funny, since that was my main complaint about the AI in F2/F3. That they could bully you with little to no negative effect to themselves but when you tried to do the same it usually ended in disaster. It's a similar thing in GT5 except perhaps a little bit more realistic in the sense that GT5's AI doesn't go completely serial killer mode like Forza's tends to quite often.

Real life race drivers do NOT go mad max like they do in Forza. GT's AI could certainly do with faster reactions to avoiding your rear though.

Haunted

Fortinbras said:

That was the most tragic thing about Racer Driver GRID.

NullPointer said:

I don't think 800 standard cars even equal 200 premium cars. premium cars have to be rebuild from scratch while most of those 800 standard cars is already done from GT4.

Trickster

Callibretto said:
I don't think 800 standard cars even equal 200 premium cars. premium cars have to be rebuild from scratch while most of those 800 standard cars is already done from GT4.

Did they even change anything about the standard cars? I got the impression that they are basically taken straight from GT4.

nib95 said:
Funny, since that was my main complaint about the AI in F2/F3. That they could bully you with little to no negative effect to themselves but when you tried to do the same it usually ended in disaster. It's a similar thing in GT5 except perhaps a little bit more realistic in the sense that GT5's AI doesn't go completely serial killer mode like Forza's tends to quite often.

Real life race drivers do NOT go mad max like they do in Forza. GT's AI could certainly do with faster reactions to avoiding your rear though.

As I said, never happened to me in Forza. I have no problems with aggressive AI like in Shift or other games. It's just sad that in a game like GT5 the AI seems to be unaware that there's another car on the track besides it's own.

Yesterday I lost the Allstars Championship after an hour of playtime because the AI somehow got really fast on R-246 and pushed me out of it's way. It was like my car didn't have any weight, the AI kept driving like on rails.

If something like this would happen in Forza, I could always use rewind. It's a nice feature. Not because I'm able to correct mistakes I made but because I'm able able to correct mistakes the AI is responsible for.

GT5 is even missing the retry race option in championships. I really don't have the time to play races over and over again, so the combination of all those things is major flaw in an otherwise fantastic game.

At least for me. Other than that, the game is great, as I said.

Naeblish

erahk64 said:
Fanatec's new top of the line wheel for PC/PS3/XBOX360 revealed.

http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/4907
Yeah fuck that 250 euro price tag. I was never a big race fan, but i wanted to get in the genre by buying gt5 and a decent steering wheel to get the real racing experience. But i want a wheel that works for the 360(forza), ps3 and pc. Turns out this is the only wheel that supports all 3 but i am not gonna spend 300 euro on it. I believe we have Microsoft to thank for only supporting their own crappy wheel?

sadaiyappan

Is it possible to drift through the Nurburgring in a Mercedes 300SL? I drifted through that ridiculous corner after the third hill in the first special race in GT5 Nurburging.

hurahn

Neo Member
NullPointer said:
You're not wrong here. I've run into particular cars in Forza 3 that have seemed to have a rabid blood feud with me (I'm looking at you Dodge Viper), but that was more the exception than the rule. In GT5 its safe to assume that other cars will treat you as if you weren't there for the most part. My driving style is to avoid other cars whenever I can - I don't load up a sim racer to play dirty or get an extra bump into a turn. Clean overtakes are the name of the game.

Now maybe if I had better driving skill I could avoid some of the hassles I've experienced in GT5, thats true. But there is absolutely no reason to get bumped by cars behind me, on a straightaway without me slamming on the breaks and asking for it. I'm surprised this never happens for me in Forza considering the rear view mirror is usually worthless.

Yeah, his name is M. Rossi. He's an AI bastard.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
So GameTrailers has done another one of those GT5 vs. Forza 3 videos and for a moment it gives a nice closeup of Zonda R's rear end in both games. Now, I know people have been saying that Forza's models are not really of the same quality as GT5's Premium cars and in some instances I would agree. The scale of certain elements sometimes just feels wrong in Forza. But in other cases, I would say that modeling in Forza is actually more accurate:

[]http://b.imagehost.org/0619/zondargt5fm3.jpg[/]

That's the Forza 3 Photo mode models. GT5s only switches models on the Photo Travel mode, and not during a race Photo Mode. So you're not really seeing the full GT5 model.

chrislowe

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

(image of forza3 vs gt5 pagani)

Biggest difference of the Pagani Zonda R in GT5 and FM3 is that the GT5 one is the concept that Pagani showed in 2009, and FM3 is the 2010 car which have a different rearwing etc.

so maybe more is different on the 2009 vs 2010 model

chrislowe said:
Biggest difference of the Pagani Zonda R in GT5 and FM3 is that the GT5 one is the concept that Pagani showed in 2009, and FM3 is the 2010 car which have a different rearwing etc.

so maybe more is different on the 2009 vs 2010 model

The real life photo was marked as the 2009 model.

gogogow

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

http://b.imagehost.org/0619/zondargt5fm3.jpg
Yes, the Forza one is accurate, but is based on a different model.
The GT5 Zonda R 2010 is pretty spot on, it's only missing the screws.

8x4lb.jpg

j1FOG.jpg

GT's Zonda R looks funny in the back, I don't think how that could have been a modeling error because the real life version is clearly different. Maybe a model glitch? =S Someone take a picture of that beast in photomode.

nib95 said:
real life race drivers take each other out regularly, usually by accident but not always.

i'm not saying the AI is doing it on purpose all the time in any game, but it is absolutely a part of the professional sport.

it probably happens too much, but i can't think of many F1 events where no one got taken out.

Mastperf

CozMick said:
Back to business.

N%C3%BCrburgring%20Type%20V.jpg

Count them GAF, COUNT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol

Missing 1 player because he quit :p
You managed to get an accurate graphics quality/average frame-rate captured in the same pic. Good job!

nib95 said:

GT5 doesn't have an average frame-rate of 57fps. Some tests averaged much less. For a first party Sony developer the game is poorly optimized.

CozMick

Banned
Comparing framerates with a game that has inferior car models, lower resolution and half the amount of cars on track is stupid.

Mastperf said:
You managed to get an accurate graphics quality/average frame-rate captured in the same pic. Good job!
Why so butthurt?

That pic was posted for the people saying that GT5 did not support 16 cars per race.

Yoritomo

CozMick said:
Comparing framerates with a game that has inferior car models, lower resolution and half the amount of cars on track is stupid.

You're right. It only takes 3 cars in front of you for the framerate to drop to sub 50 in GT5, combine that with 800 sub standard shitty models and the comparison is totally unfair.

Forsete

Metalmurphy said:
Yep, That includes some reviews as well.

How can she slap?

Sirrisly, if a game does not support 16 cppt* when at level zero (Ay-spek), I think its safe to say the games does not support it AT ALL.
-Journalist

*cars-per-track

Yoritomo said:
You're right. It only takes 3 cars in front of you for the framerate to drop to sub 50 in GT5, combine that with 800 sub standard shitty models and the comparison is totally unfair.

Spoken like a true GT5-virgin?

Hey you shitty standard cars, get out of my game! It does not matter if you are still fun to drive, just get the hell out!

Mastperf

Metalmurphy said:
Why so butthurt?

That pic was posted for the people saying that GT5 did not support 16 cars per race.
I'm just having fun.It's pretty much the purpose of the thread after all. I absolutely hate racing games so I really don't care who wins or loses. I do wish I liked them though since they're the games that get the closest to "real" visually. Have you read some of the ridiculous comparisons and reviews from people on both games in this thread?:lol It's mainly 1 poster trying to outjackass the other.
I do think Polyphony dropped the ball quite a bit ,though. Sony's first parties are incredible at optimization so it's pretty obvious with GT5.

Yoritomo said:

Considering you have been playing GT5 alot you should have noticed by now that the number of cars don't appear to have anything to do with the framedrops in GT5. I've had plenty of stable races with lots of cars, and some unstable ones with fewer cars. Premium or standards, online and off.

Trickster

CozMick said:

What's stupid is you basically saying that that a game should get a free pass on technical issues if it puts more shit on screen than another game.

Trickster said:
What's stupid is you basically saying that that a game should get a free pass on technical issues if it puts more shit on screen than another game.
*cough* For the longest time, Crysis ran at like.. 20fps, but still was being crowned "graphics king."

Just saying...

Yoritomo

phosphor112 said:
I'm guessing you 100% Forza then?

Nah, there are too many events that all feel the same. Who the hell decided to put an R1 Fujimi Kaido race in the game? :lol

I'd have to check to see what my percentage is but I had something like 150 hours of time in race on the stats screen.

Forsete

Yoritomo said:
All gold licenses, every special challenge but the last AMG school gold (not level 24 yet). Games easy, try harder bro.

Congrats. Game is not that easy for me, especially golding the licenses.
I'm not terribly obsessed with grabbing everything gold unless its a A-spec race.

Cant say I'm that bothered by the standard cars. I don't agree with the loonies that would rather have 200 cars instead of 1031. The standard cars are just as fun as the premium when driving, thanks to the new physics engine (probably the best racing engine that I have ever experienced), and you hardly notice the fewer details when going around the track.

CozMick

Banned
Trickster said:

They should be allowed more leniency in my opinion yes.

GT5 clearly pushes the PS3 more than Forza 3 pushes the 360.

During a race in GT5 there can be 16 premium cars, day/night cycle, dynamic weather, deformation and all running @ 1280x1080.

During a race in Forza 3 there is 8 cars, and car damage running @ 1280x720.

Top Bottom