• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Metalmurphy said:
Wrong in what? I never said it was an easter egg... Maybe you should read posts more carefully. I just noted that it was very obvious, considering the proof right in front of your eyes, that most of it was NOT from a model car. For all I know it could have just been a placeholder that was forgotten.
you aren't going to wiggle out of this one.

APEX posted that it was obviously a joke. he accompanied this with pictures of the underside of the real car and the underside of the toy car.

i posted the following because the pictures didn't prove his assertion, and because i thought it was a hilarious defence against a minor flaw:

yeah. i'm sure there's some way you can explain away the inside of the tyres too.

new defence in this thread. F3 and GT5 don't have mistakes. they have jokes!

you replied directly to me:

He just put the proof in front of your eyes and you ignore it and post that?...

i don't remember anyone making the assertion that ALL of the underside of the car was from the Autoart car, and i certainly wasn't. there is no way that you can conclude from my post that i was, because i was only addressing APEX's assertion that it was 'obviously a joke'.

you criticised me for doing so, saying that i 'ignored the proof'.

Apex claimed it was obviously a joke and provided pictures to support that argument.

why should i expect you to be talking about them being 'proof' of anything but that? why should i expect them being proof against an argument that i hadn't seen anyone making?

why would you think i was talking about such a thing?

Apex's assertion was incorrect, and i thought laughable. it wasn't obvious and his pictures certainly didn't prove it.

i've read your post a handful of times now, and there is nothing in it to remotely suggest you were making the point you now claim.

hell, when sdornan said

So, all of a sudden it's definitely an easter egg/joke just because you decide it is?

you replied with this

So you're gonna decide to keep ignoring the pictures that were just posted?

i suppose i'm misreading that too.

h3ro

MarshMellow96 said:
Okay so GT5 is really bad, but still better than any other driving game?

:lol

There is no better driving game out. Racing? Forza did it better. Some are fans of Shift as well.

GT5 is the opposite of "bad". It's niche and has a staid interface, but the physics modeling is pure joy. Nothing better than taking that '54 Merc Gullwing around the Nurburgring and feeling every damn every bump and curb in your hands. Fantastic.

rvy

Banned
CozMick said:
And the feature list proves that.
That they exceed every other racing game out there? Uh, no. That they added a lot of useless shit and didn't have time to properly finish the game? Maybe. Nice models for photo mode, a karting game, baffling design decisions, unstable framerate, inconsistent graphics and 200 premium vehicles, with 800 imports from PSP and GT 4, doesn't make GT 5 the best racing game out there. It makes it a disappointment. I'm not even going to bother to research what they took out. YouTube comes to mind though.

The GT 5 that we were promised? Yeah, that had potential to become the best racing game out there.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
h3ro said:
Nothing better than taking that '54 Merc Gullwing around the Nurburgring and feeling every damn every bump and curb in your hands. Fantastic.
I'm with you on that, this precise example you gave was the one moment when I realized video games had reached a new level. The driving is in a league of its own.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Trickster said:
What's stupid is you basically saying that that a game should get a free pass on technical issues if it puts more shit on screen than another game.
According to precedents set forth by most major reviewers this generation - yes.
OpenWorld games got a free pass on just about everything.

Angst

metareferential said:
Nope, it's people like me, owners of a Fanatec superior wheel that ultimately win.

I'm joking, of course :p

Lols aside, you have a point. If I had known about the fanatec wheel before buying the Logitech wheel I might have gone with that instead.

h3ro

marc^o^ said:
I'm with you on that, this precise example you gave was the one moment when I realized video games had reached a new level. The driving is in a league of its own.

*hi-five*

I feel bad for system warriors. Especially if they genuinely are interested in cars and racing/driving games. They're the ones losing out bickering over this instead of trying the game for themselves. I have no doubt that anyone remotely interested in driving games and has a car obsession wouldn't fall in love with GT5's driving model as well as the vast amount of history given by the game, be it the Museum cards detailing high points (and some low points) of automotive history for each manufacturer or the personal account of each car, from design decisions and race cars' winning records, etc.

Those who followed the F3 OT know how much time I sunk into it. Both games are fantastic, if you're able to, try both. Driving a car around the Nurburgring is A LOT more fun than arguing list wars.

CozMick

Banned
As I said in the GT5 OT, if it wasn't for PD and what they have done with GT5, the next iterations of the bigger driving simulators would be stuck with 7 opponents, on tarmac in a sunny climate.

But now they have to up there game, which is only a good thing, even so I don't think Turn 10, EA etc will reach the amount of features in GT5.

They pushed the boundaries of the genre and the system (PS3), mistakes/corner cutting were made but that certainly doesn't stop it from being the greatest driving simulator money can buy.

:D

shinnn

updating

2qk6q2p.jpg
2wlro83.jpg

MarshMellow96 said:
I'm just trying to get some perspective.

Believe it or not, GT5 is a game that could have used a few more dev time, probably 6 months would have been enough. But the core sim mechanics are there, and better then any other sim on consoles. As well as a shit ton of content, the problem is how all the content was handled, and despite having shit ton of content, there's still some missing that kinda boggles the mind. But seing as PD has been patching the game (3 patches already), I have no doubt the game will be pretty much perfect in a few months.

rvy said:
If you're driving a premium car, hell yeah.
Physics are the same for all cars...

Angst said:

Lols aside, you have a point. If I had known about the fanatec wheel before buying the Logitech wheel I might have gone with that instead.

Yes, but Logitech wheels have been around for much longer, and practically every racing fan have bought one, at some point in his gaming career.

So you're right, Ms has no excuse for the stupid ffb policy.

SmokyDave

rvy said:
And why wouldn't I? It's the best camera in the game.
Not everybody feels that way. For those people, it doesn't matter whether the car is standard or premium, the unparalleled physics remain.

It's nice that you acknowledge the quality of the experience available whilst driving the 'Ring in a premium car. I'm sure you'll understand why people are so happy with GT5 now, despite seemingly insurmountable flaws. The driving experience is, quite simply, unmatched.

h3ro

rvy said:
If you're driving a premium car, hell yeah.

I don't use cockpit view and the physics model is the same for all cars. At least you agree nothing beats the driving model, because nothing does, on console any way.

Hope you guys that are interested in driving games give the actual driving component of GT5 a chance. Sure the interface is as streamlined as a brick, but it's worth it, to me anyway to get the enjoyment of driving all these cars that I won't ever get a chance to in real life.

CozMick

Banned
shinnn said:
updating

http://i52.tinypic.com/2qk6q2p.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/2wlro83.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

:lol :lol :lol reviews

These are the same people that gave Modern Warfare 2 game of the year and a perfect 10 out of 10.

Metalmurphy said:
Believe it or not, GT5 is a game that could have used a few more dev time, probably 6 months would have been enough. But the core sim mechanics are there, and better then any other sim on consoles. As well as a shit ton of content, the problem is how all the content was handled, and despite having shit ton of content, there's still some missing that kinda boggles the mind. But seing as PD has been patching the game (3 patches already), I have no doubt the game will be pretty much perfect in a few months.

Speaking of 'core sim mechanics', there's still no mechanical damage in SP.

And the rest of your post really makes it feel like a beta. Glad I wasn't wrong after all.

CozMick said:

These are the same people that gave Modern Warfare 2 game of the year and a perfect 10 out of 10.
metacritic don't review games. they aggregate other people's reviews.

for what it's worth i see MW2 has a 9.4 on metacritic.

as ever, review scores remain stupid all around though.

rvy

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Not everybody feels that way. For those people, it doesn't matter whether the car is standard or premium, the unparalleled physics remain.

It's nice that you acknowledge the quality of the experience available whilst driving the 'Ring in a premium car. I'm sure you'll understand why people are so happy with GT5 now, despite seemingly insurmountable flaws. The driving experience is, quite simply, unmatched.
And I have never, EVER, said it isn't.

I've poked fun at the game for weeks now, at all its shortcomings, at the ridiculous choices that Yamauchi made and at the lack of polish in some areas, but I have never dissed the driving. You could argue that if the driving is in there, it's all you need. I don't agree. Not true, for GT anyway.

IMO sticker around this.

SmokyDave

rvy said:
And I have never, EVER, said it isn't.

I've poked fun at the game for weeks now, at all its shortcomings, at the ridiculous choices that Yamauchi made and at the lack of polish in some areas, but I have never dissed the driving. You could argue that if the driving is in there, it's all you need. I don't agree. That's not true, for GT anyway. In my opinion.
That's cool, I understand where you're coming from now. The driving is all I need and I'm still finding parts of the game / game design head-bangingly frustrating. I can just see why some might say it's the best racer ever.
Even if that's actually Test Drive Unlimited.

MarshMellow96 said:
Soooo..

The feature list is irrelevant and the driving is fun in both games. Gamers win, right?
Pretty much. It's been a really good generation for racing games on PS3, PC & 360. Anyone heavily into driving games really ought to own both Forza3 and GT5, at the minimum.
And Initial D: Extreme Stage.

brotkasten said:
Speaking of 'core sim mechanics', there's still no mechanical damage in SP.

And the rest of your post really makes it feel like a beta. Glad I wasn't wrong after all.

That's one of the stuff that "kinda boggles the mind". I'm sure they're working on updating it though. The hard part is done.

rvy said:
There's no way that you can say shit like this with a straight face. There's just no way. Turn10 didn't have 6 years to make Forza 3 btw.

PD didn't have 300 dev team size btw.

This 6 years thing is bullshit. PD team is 100 people, and if you count only the time from Forza 2 to Forza 3 (that reuses most of the assets-cars of Forza 2), it should be fair to count only the time from GT5P to GT5.

saladine1

So who in this thread is really serious about console/game 'warriorism'?
Yeah, we've poked fun about certain things on both sides and related our likes and dislikes for both games, but who's really not going to play or haven't played both games...out of spite.
Anyone care to enlighten us?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
DangerousDave said:
PD didn't have 300 dev team size btw.

This 6 years thing is bullshit. PD team is 100 people, and if you count only the time from Forza 2 to Forza 3 (that reuses most of the assets-cars of Forza 2), it should be fair to count only the time from GT5P to GT5.
Only from GT5:p to GT5? How about the dev time for GT4 and/or GT PSP? I mean, 80% of the cars in GT5 are from GT4/PSP. Must be worth something, right? :lol

Shurs said:
*Raises hand, lowers head*
so, not only are you cool enough to have an amazing avatar, you're actually man enough to admit your mistake?

enjoy this bowl full of candy coated props, you've earned them.

Shurs

plagiarize said:
so, not only are you cool enough to have an amazing avatar, you're actually man enough to admit your mistake?

enjoy this bowl full of candy coated props, you've earned them.

What I thought GT5 was going to be two years ago and what I received on November 24th are pretty different. Most of it wasn't a surprise as a steady stream of disappointing news was made public over the last year or so. Standard cars, cockpit views for Premium cars only, etc.

I still think the game is excellent. The amount of content is overwhelming, the additions of weather and damage are appreciated, even if those elements are not as polished as I'd like them to be, the "feel" of the driving; be it a Standard car or a Premium is fantastic -- especially with a wheel -- and the UI doesn't bother me. But I'd be lying if I said this was the GT5 I was expecting while playing Prologue.

Shaneus

Angst said:
I still have the money a new console+wheel would have cost me. And I still get to play racing games. I win.
You have no right being in this thread because you've only played one of the games in the thread title. We win ;)

Regardless, you really are missing out on a great game for (what I see as) a silly reason. I'm sure it'd be amazing with a wheel but even without, it's still incredible. If you have the opportunity to afford a cheap 360 and the F3 Ultimate pack, I'd strongly recommend it. I guarantee you'll have more fun than you thought.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Shurs said:
What I thought GT5 was going to be two years ago and what I received on November 24th are pretty different. Most of it wasn't a surprise as a steady stream of disappointing news was made public over the last year or so. Standard cars, cockpit views for Premium cars only, etc.

I still think the game is excellent. The amount of content is overwhelming, the additions of weather and damage are appreciated, even if those elements are not as polished as I'd like them to be, the "feel" of the driving; be it a Standard car or a Premium is fantastic -- especially with a wheel -- and the UI doesn't bother me. But I'd be lying if I said this was the GT5 I was expecting while playing Prologue.

I agree on a lot of levels but regardless GT5 feels amazing to drive and many reviews state this, much better than Prologue, and 'imo' better than Forza, when I first jumped into a F40 in GT5 and blitzed it down the Nuremberg track I honestly had a grin on my face like a Cheshire cat, it never felt so good to drive and that is what is most important to me, before I played GT5 all I could do was moan about the inconsistencies but as soon I started driving most of them just melted away.

Yoritomo

lowrider007 said:
I agree on a lot of levels but regardless GT5 feels amazing to drive and many reviews state this, much better than Prologue, and 'imo' better than Forza, when I first jumped into a F40 in GT5 and blitzed it down the Nuremberg track I honestly had a grin on my face like a Cheshire cat, it never felt so good to drive and that is what is most important to me, before I played GT5 all I could do was moan about the inconsistencies but as soon I started driving most of them just melted away.

Well done sir. :lol

CozMick said:

damn if this ain't the most butt-hurt post I ever did see. It's got deflection, hyperbole, anger and ad-hominem all in just a handful of words.

if the situation was reversed, your post would not exist.

Top Bottom