• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

jett

D-Member
SuperÑ said:
No, they are not. Some are 3D and the furthest ones just a bitmap. Look at top right

That's a GTHD screenshot, but i dont think there is any difference with GT5p.

Yeah you're right, hadn't played GT5P in a while. :p That bitmap in F3 really does stand out though.

Hanmik

jakonovski said:
This is not about enjoying one's game, this is about trying to ruin others' enjoyment of their game.

with that sentence you just circled the point of this thread.. I hopefully will enjoy my games, and let other ruin their own games..

thuway said:
Our eyes must be completely different than. I see a fuck of a difference. In my eyes, Prologue looks alot better, and I'm willing to bet you by the time the final GT5 is released, it will be a pretty big step up in terms of graphics. Just read about the trailer shown at TGS.

The reality is though, Forza Motorstport 3 is out now. It looks great, it plays great, it has community features to make a GT only person green with envy. Guess whose going to get my sale this year?

QFT

Buy both games if you are a true racing fan! Some people here are soooo insecure :lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
jett said:
Why not? The moutains in GT5P's Eiger course are all in 3D. All I've read is how superior the courses are in Forza 3.

Do you own an Xbox360?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Just finished doing one race

Here are raw impressions

Presentation is vastly superior to FM2, soothing menu music and navigation with a streamlined look. You only see a hiccup in the presentation when you select a different color for your car, a minor 0.1s pause nothing as big as a vehicle loading for 1/2s , you are taken to a 3D showroom of your car when you pick it.

Sound: Vehicles engines sounds superb, all the vehicles sound different and are not drowned out by others, I picked the new Ferrari! (Edited LOL, I thought it for a ZR1 Vette have not slept since last night :lol, those two cars look VERY alike) and it really growls, notably there IS music playing during the races now unlike the old FM games that didn't have any unless you turned on custom ST's

Graphics, the track detail is superb you really need to play the demo to appreciate the track, the road doesn't look like shit and the mountains are just beautiful, what Jett pointed out is true, that section has that bitmap mountain bg, it does not look out of place like the screenshot, it blends in well with the actual 3D mountain side. The framerate does NOT hiccup, it's rock solid. The replay camera angles are MUCH better than Forza 1 and 2, the cams don't suck ass anymore if this demo track is any indication.

Physics, the Ferrari California I just took for a spin feels much heavier and attached to the road, compared to FM2 it feels hefty and not floaty, the collisions are very representative of just how collisions look when I got pit maneuvered by the damn AI lol, I did try to flip the car but it didn't even lift or anything I don't know if it's because I have it set on medium or the cars low center of gravity.

What I noted and or didn't like, minor shimmering on the road in the bottom part of the screen or on the edges of the road it's very minor shimmering that is noticeable if you look for it, the aliasing doesn't look as bad as the screenshots but there is some, call it ant sized aliasing while playing the game, it's not a jagfest.

I did NOT like the way you still take look around while in cockpit mode, (right analog stick to look around) in Dirt 2 the drivers pov tilts his head smoothly to the direction you look at, atm in this demo it's a direct instant look to where you move the stick to, I have always disliked this in the Forza series and it really bothers me, it totally detracts away from the near perfect delivery of the other aspects of the game.

I don't understand why they haven't fixed this right analog stick look around view bs since FM1..

Aside from that , Great DEMO everyone needs to give the game a chance and play it.

-new detail noticed
The fans on the stands are 3D and are animated, not bad.

-another detail
The in race telemetry (brought up via D-pad) is running @ 60fps and does not slow down the game in one bit, wow this is just awesome lol.. The telemetry has everything, there's a drift score tab too in here.

Those are my early impressions from this demo. Played on my 19" ws lcd monitor via vga cables.

evolution said:
Tire flex and chassis is cosmetic you could already adjust the settings and parts that would effect these in Forza 2

You need to learn a bit more about cars. Monitoring chassis and tire flex is a major improvement for the driving simulation.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
jett said:
Yeah you're right, hadn't played GT5P in a while. :p That bitmap in F3 really does stand out though.

So you're comparing the bitmaps of both games now. I think the biggest difference is that one set of bitmaps will ship this year... :D

Ultimo hombre said:
You need to learn a bit more about cars. Monitoring chassis and tire flex is a major improvement for the driving simulation.

Yeah, those four little patches of rubber are all that connects a car to the road. It's the number one priority for physics modeling.

alterno69

Banned
Just tried the demo for a couple of races, graphics look better than some of the screens posted here, lots of jaggies in other cars but i can live with that, track looks good and the contrast is finally there, i always felts past games looked kinda washed out. Cockpit looks to bright imo, needs a lot mor contrast but it's good enough, not GT prologue graphics but they are great.

Plays much better than past games too, at least for me and it's more fun because of it, will probably buy it later this year if i can find a cheap wheel.

Overall good demo.

cyberheater

alterno69 said:
Just tried the demo for a couple of races, graphics look better than some of the screens posted here, lots of jaggies in other cars but i can live with that, track looks good and the contrast is finally there, i always felts past games looked kinda washed out. Cockpit looks to bright imo, needs a lot mor contrast but it's good enough, not GT prologue graphics but they are great.

Plays much better than past games too, at least for me and it's more fun because of it, will probably buy it later this year if i can find a cheap wheel.

Overall good demo.

Jaggies?? You probably need to change some settings on your TV. It's almost completely jaggie free. Is the sharpness control on your tv turned up to the max?

skulpt

Turn10:
"Let's put some more reflections on the cars, increase the saturation, push more polygons on the cars, and add really detailed tracks. "

PD on the other hand said:

"Let's take a look at how light actually interacts with paint, windows, the interiors of cars, headlights, taillights, chrome, the environments, drivers helmets, and nail it."

It's almost like night and day when it comes to how light interacts with cars from each game. PD literally is a generation behind with lighting and shaders IMO and how they work together. Forza 3 for SURE has more detailed outdoor enviros from what I've seen, better physics with crashes, amazing customizations. But it looks nowhere as realistic as GT5.

GT5 has the best headlights and taillights by far. Most realistic sun/flare/highlights by far. Best reflections by far. Most attention to lighting details by far. That includes how light hits the interiors of the cars with the appropriate shadowing, the way the lighting shifts depending on where the light source is, and so on. Forza 3 almost does lighting like it's always from a defused source. The lighting in Forza 3 also really lets down the really detailed environments in that game. It enviros just looks too arcadey with the lower end lighting.

-x.Red.x-

erahk64 said:
Forza 3 demo replay

Link
why is this shot like this?

image_forza_motorsport_3-11621-1856_0012.jpg

looks weird...

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
-x.Red.x- said:

the track looks fine, the car looks out of place, but after playing the demo it doesn't look out of place like the screen. If you have a 360 I suggest you go DL the demo and see for yourself.

one thing I don't see in that screen is the actual glowy glare/reflections from the "sun" on those mountains which you clearly see while playing the game.

skulpt said:
Turn10:
"Let's put some more reflections on the cars, increase the saturation, push more polygons on the cars, and add really detailed tracks. "

PD on the other hand said:

"Let's take a look at how light actually interacts with paint, windows, the interiors of cars, headlights, taillights, chrome, the environments, drivers helmets, and nail it."

It's almost like night and day when it comes to how light interacts with cars from each game. PD literally is a generation behind with lighting and shaders IMO and how they work together. Forza 3 for SURE has more detailed outdoor enviros from what I've seen, better physics with crashes, amazing customizations. But it looks nowhere as realistic as GT5.

GT5 has the best headlights and taillights by far. Most realistic sun/flare/highlights by far. Best reflections by far. Most attention to lighting details by far. That includes how light hits the interiors of the cars with the appropriate shadowing, the way the lighting shifts depending on where the light source is, and so on. Forza 3 almost does lighting like it's always from a defused source. The lighting in Forza 3 also really lets down the really detailed environments in that game. It enviros just looks too arcadey with the lower end lighting.

I guess it all comes down to what the devs consider important in a driving sim.

Synless

Wait, is the F3 demo on the US marketplace? I was on there this morning and didn't see it in the what's new section. WHERE CAN I PLAY THIS????

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fakto said:
The first of many inevitable comparison articles that will hit the web, I'm sure.

m0dus said:
Fuck rollovers, I just sent a ford focus flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMJOai03iEg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJCxHCiiomI

Props to the first person to make me a GIF of those ;)
Nice. :lol

What were your assist/damage settings set to for that?

Synless said:
Wait, is the F3 demo on the US marketplace? I was on there this morning and didn't see it in the what's new section. WHERE CAN I PLAY THIS????

Go tot he events or highlights tab on NXE(not sure which one but its below the Game tab.)

look for the Tokyo Game Show section it'll have a Forza 3 tab then fromt here just go to All Downloads.

or go here and download
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/0ddf0001-0000-4000-8000-00004d538861?cid=SLink

turn your xbox on and itll download.

-x.Red.x- said:
why is this shot like this?

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_forza_motorsport_3-11621-1856_0012.jpg[IMG]
looks weird...[/QUOTE]
Over saturated and compressed from a tv card grab, if you can't tell.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Did an awesome roll over on the mini and smashed into a wall one more time and the car was DONE, I couldn't even climb up a small hill the engine gave out :lol

Set your damage to simulation obviously and have fun lol

anyway have fun all, sleeping time..

GT5 looks gorgeous, but I don't like the cockpit view as much as Forza 3's.

The track is only visible on about a third of the screen judging by the Mercedes video on Gamersyde. That's not enough, IMO.

evolution

Ultimo hombre said:
You and your friends totally missed what i was talking about....That was hours ago anyways

h_a_t

[Nintex] said:
So I just played some Forza 3, now I'll hop into a time machine to see how Gran Turismo 5 plays. Oh, wait the time machine hasn't been invented yet but it will probably be ready before PD finishes Gran Turismo 5.

well done sir.
:lol

I see the cartoony look hasn't been completely removed from Forza.

Certain color cars in certain lighting conditions look really good, but then you see a red car in sunlight like that and it just looks completely wrong.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yo what the fuck happened to Forza 3? Or are you guys just fucking with me?
Is the Demo Gold only cause my live ran out.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Shining Sunshine said:
That Focus is sliding down the road after the rollover. >_> wth?

No friction after rolling over?

It's sliding because the AI is flooring the gas peddle. Notice the tires smoking.

chris0701

Some ppl just do not know how the screengrab could look bad as you never think.

It's not the fault of screenbgrab.It is the TRUTH of your console could output.

Shame on those people for using their ignorance to troll a game.

More on GT5:p direct-feed grab:
3-granturismo5.jpg

snv.jpg

Durante

chris0701 said:
If you want to do a comparison with Forza you should scale that down to 720p. (or upscale the forza screengrabs to 1080p if you prefer)

Cutting out parts of a 1080p framegrab is even more misleading. Really weak.

thuway

chris0701 said:
Some ppl just do not know how the screengrab could look bad as you never think.

It's not the fault of screenbgrab.It is the TRUTH of your console could output.

Shame on those people for using their ignorance to troll a game.

3-granturismo5.jpg

snv.jpg

I have played GT5p plenty of times and it does NOT look like that. Whatever though, my main gripe with Forza's graphics aren't that they are jaggy, but they look "cartoony".

evolution

I have to wait till i get home in a couple days to try the demo, but it looks like after almost two years prologue still hasn't been surpassed graphically.

alterno69

Banned
I think it's pretty pointless to keep comparing Forza 3 graphics with Prologue, anyone with a brain can tell Prologue is the best looking game overall and with twice the amount of cars on the track no less.

But one game is coming out this year and the other one is at least 6 months away, i expect GT5 to look a lot better than Forza 3 considering Prologue already does.

Top Bottom