• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Ploid 3.0

77qIS.jpg

MdwQ8.jpg

Ploid 3.0

Baby Milo said:
Forza 4 featuring everything that was in GT5

To stay competitive they have to at least try adding more. Sure they could stick to track races but adding more event types give them more opportunities to appeal to more people. Adding top gear gets them even more, can't pass up being competitive.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
phosphor112 said:
Where'd you get that idea from?

OMG GT5 HAD THE TOP GEAR TEST TRACK FIRST. OBVIOUSLY A COPY! NOT THAT FANS OF FORZA WANTED IT FOR A LONG WHILE. LOLZ.

(Come on, fan wank is the point of this topic.)

Ploid 3.0 said:
To stay competitive they have to at least try adding more. Sure they could stick to track races but adding more event types give them more opportunities to appeal to more people. Adding top gear gets them even more, can't pass up being competitive.

This is true. If Turn 10 does most of the things GT5 offered with polish, they'll get people on board. I still have a bad taste in my mouth over the run-up to Forza 3, but with the Turn 10 dude shutted up and Che gone, I'm willing to look toward them again provided they deliver on their marks. Top Gear Test Track with better than GT5 AI and random course generator on a variety of surfaces (something I bought GT5 for, only to find out it's rally/dirt courses and only in a special event. WTF Polyphony?), would equal TAKEMYMONEY.jpg The rain being secondary.

If MS/Turn 10 is serious about rain, meanwhile, they should be looking toward getting Bizzare/Bizzare employees from the fallout to help with that.

Ploid 3.0

Slightly off topic, I am racing on Nurburgring 24hr for the first time (the track in the picture), and I heard about the campers on the side of the track but I didn't expect it to look this nice. It's like a parade with them all lined up on tents, and trailers with smoke coming out of the spout. The overcast made me think it would be a rain course and I was screwed for a lap, it was just morning with a bit of fog. Great looking track. The low contrast makes those screens look amazing.

Edit: Just got the final GT5 video, you can tell that track was placed there (the last race) which lead up to this 24hr race vid. I bet it was placed on Kaz's car. People in the real life video are in the exact same place as they are in the game, I spotted the trailer with smoke coming out and everything.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah you can tell he got bumped by following the right side edge of the back. It's pushed slightly out.

I'm sure it was sarcasm but I thought it was slightly off too (just looking at the license plate area). I never noticed the bumper edge until now.

Baby Milo said:
Forza 4 featuring everything that was in GT5

and Top Gear we copied that to

I think it's fair to say that alot of these features were on the books well before GT5 was released or detailed in full. A lot of it is just normal series progression and improvement - they weren't going to make Forza 3 with Kinect and more cars - they are going to add some fairly important features (that were certainly appreciated in GT5) to improve not only their competitiveness in the genre - but the game in general.

Regardless, this is just proof that competition is a good thing. Hell who knows, maybe GT6 will feature more than 20% of the roster as good/great looking cars, have drivetrain/engine swaps, a shitload of customization, a decent livery editor or even a great online system straight out of the gate. It's certainly what I would want for the next series iteration to improve upon that's for sure.

Stripper13 said:
Regardless, this is just proof that competition is a good thing. Hell who knows, maybe GT6 will feature more than 20% of the roster as good/great looking cars, have drivetrain/engine swaps, a shitload of customization, a decent livery editor or even a great online system straight out of the gate. It's certainly what I would want for the next series iteration to improve upon that's for sure.

Well, we do know that the next game will have a livery editor. Kaz already confirmed that they're working on it. With that said, that next game (GT6) probably won't be out this generation. It seems like it's much more likely to release on the PS4, which is probably 3-4 years away from release. That would really be the best thing for Sony and PD. PD would get a much more powerful machine to work on and Sony will potentially get GT as a launch title.

Truespeed

SolidSnakex said:
Well, we do know that the next game will have a livery editor. Kaz already confirmed that they're working on it. With that said, that next game (GT6) probably won't be out this generation. It seems like it's much more likely to release on the PS4, which is probably 3-4 years away from release. That would really be the best thing for Sony and PD. PD would get a much more powerful machine to work on and Sony will potentially get GT as a launch title.

I don't know. With the foundation already established I wouldn't be surprised to see a GT6 in late 2012. But, a launch title for the PS4 does make a lot of sense providing they don't release another accessory to extend its life.

Mobius 1

Stripper13 said:
I think it's fair to say that alot of these features were on the books well before GT5 was released or detailed in full. A lot of it is just normal series progression and improvement - they weren't going to make Forza 3 with Kinect and more cars - they are going to add some fairly important features (that were certainly appreciated in GT5) to improve not only their competitiveness in the genre - but the game in general.

Anything but this. I can't stand looking at half baked logos splattered all over the cars, not the mention the anime semi-naked girls and ugly portraits.

Truespeed said:
I don't know. With the foundation already established I wouldn't be surprised to see a GT6 in late 2012. But, a launch title for the PS4 does make a lot of sense providing they don't release another accessory to extend its life.

It's certainly possible, but the way Kaz talked at the launch party made it seem like it's not coming out anytime soon. They've also moved away from the every other year launch style with GT4 and GT5.

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:

Does it matter? As if GT is a system seller anymore lolz. What I want for GT6 is for Sony to grab Kaz by the neck, shake him around and tell that guy to adhere to deadlines and stop wasting their money on love hotels and trips around the world.

Ashes

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's certainly possible, but the way Kaz talked at the launch party made it seem like it's not coming out anytime soon. They've also moved away from the every other year launch style with GT4 and GT5.

Prologue sold like five million. They can probably do another mini step at launch of the ps4, and then in the second year launch Gt6 proper.

Truespeed

SolidSnakex said:

In that case, perhaps a GT5 Epilogue in 2012 :)

jett said:
Does it matter? As if GT is a system seller anymore lolz. What I want for GT6 is for Sony to grab Kaz by the neck, shake him around and tell that guy to adhere to deadlines and stop wasting their money on love hotels and trips around the world.

I think that guy works a lot more than people give him credit for. I don't think that he takes vacations or anything like that. Most developers take those once they finish a game while Kaz said that once GT5 was complete he would just keep working. Yeah, he gets to drive around the 24h Nurburgring, but that's just the benefit of working on a racing game and having a shit ton of automotive industry connections. And he did talk about how driving would help improve things in GT.

KingDizzi

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

Hoping this happens as well, they could in theory really milk GT5 with DLC and add ons, a TT2 like add on immediately comes to mind. Have the whole PD team work on GT5 for a few more months and then have the majority of the team move onto GT6. It needs to be a launch title for the PS4 or at least within the first year of release, such as GT3 and while then GT5 can keep chugging along.

PD needs to:
-Hire more car and track modellers, not sure though maybe the several million GT5:p and GT5 sales don't warrant that. Of course on Gaf I have learnt most sales are made from bundlezzzzzzz.
- GT launch PSP2 title not made by about 4 people within 3 months.
-GT6 launch PS4 title.

jett said:

The game cost so much and the content is half assed, I honestly do think most of the money was spent on hotels and globe trotting.:lol :lol It's a shadow of it's former self sales wise for sure so that should allow Sony to control PD more, not just a case of Yamauchi pointing at GT5 sales and telling them to fuck off. Yamauchi is just a a director for one franchise but from the outside it looks as though he has got wayyyyyyy too much power. It's still miles bigger than anything Sony has to offer, really shows how shitty Sony games sell relative to the big boys.

Forza 3 is already better than GT5 for me so Forza 4 will just improve on that, slap him around Greenawalt, slap fucking away. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Baby Milo

Stripper13 said:

i was just joking bro

i know these additions are obvious ones to make

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:
I think that guy works a lot more than people give him credit for. I don't think that he takes vacations or anything like that. Most developers take those once they finish a game while Kaz said that once GT5 was complete he would just keep working. Yeah, he gets to drive around the 24h Nurburgring, but that's just the benefit of working on a racing game and having a shit ton of automotive industry connections. And he did talk about how driving would help improve things in GT.

Unfortunately I don't see the results of all that hard labor. Kaz needs to be taken down a notch by Sony and management that knows how the hell to run a project be put in place.

jett said:
Unfortunately I don't see the results of all that hard labor. Kaz needs to be taken down a notch by Sony and management that knows how the hell to run a project be put in place.

I think that it was Shuhei Yoshida that mentioned that people usually don't take into account all the stuff that PD did for the PS3 early on. That GTHD demo for example, that was something that Sony wanted them to make. It was basically an early way of demonstrating what the system was capable of. You didn't see SSM, ND ect. having to release something like that at the beginning of the systems life. There were other things also that he brought up.

Baby Milo

jett said:
why don't you tell kaz what he needs to do on twitter

since your the expert

jett

D-Member
I think that it was Shuhei Yoshida that mentioned that people usually don't take into account all the stuff that PD did for the PS3 early on. That GTHD demo for example, that was something that Sony wanted them to make. It was basically an early way of demonstrating what the system was capable of. You didn't see SSM, ND ect. having to release something like that at the beginning of the systems life. There were other things also that he brought up.

I guess.

Baby Milo said:
why don't you tell kaz what he needs to do on twitter

since your the expert

Actually I asked him if he could add triple buffering support! But I don't know if he understood me. :p

Mush

jett said:
“While racing the 24 hours of Nurburgring, you can smell people’s barbecues -- we couldn’t recreate that.” -- Kazunori Yamauchi

YagizY

Game looks great but since I just bought a DFGT and GT5, I don't see myself getting this even though it is a ways away. It's mostly all due to the steering wheel issues. I am not a big enough driving sim fanatic to own two wheels. I wish logitech's would work on the 360. I don't think I would go back to a driving sim without a steering wheel.

I like that their really pushing it with F4. Hopefully this'll wake Kaz up a bit and racing games will be all the better for it.

Polyphony's problem isn't that they are under-talented, it's that they're under-staffed. ~30 car modellers out of 140 total staff is a major project bottleneck.

Yoboman

GT6 needs a proper game director. Someone to oversee everything that will make it a good GAME, make the online efficient, be aware of what the competition. Kaz can still stay as overseer to make sur ethe cars are working to his standard, but he's obviously not there half the time and no efficiently managing the team in all other ways.

The company needs an overhaul badly.

Ashes

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Polyphony's problem isn't that they are under-talented, it's that they're under-staffed. ~30 car modellers out of 140 total staff is a major project bottleneck.

It sounds like you are trying to rationalise a reason to justify the fact that they didn't build to the point you expected them to.

edit: oh ssx already answered.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Whatever the number is, it still isn't enough.

How many modelers do they need? The reality is that it just takes them a long time to model the cars because they put an obscene amount of detail into them (just go to the photo thread and look at the shots of the dashboards). They could probably model a lot more if they didn't go that far with the modeling. But the fact that they do go that far is what people love about them.

longdi

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:

Then dont do so much modeling but focus on improving the gameplay? PD needs to get sorted out after GT5 failings, cant say it wasnt on the cards.

Mush

SolidSnakex said:
How many modelers do they need? The reality is that it just takes them a long time to model the cars because they put an obscene amount of detail into them (just go to the photo thread and look at the shots of the dashboards). They could probably model a lot more if they didn't go that far with the modeling. But the fact that they do go that far is what people love about them.
I think what everyone is going for the old "quality over quantity" argument. They've got the quality nailed, they just need to start pumping the quantity out.

Ashes1396 said:
It sounds like you are trying to rationalise a reason to justify the fact that they didn't build to the point you expected them to.

edit: oh ssx already answered.

Need I break out that penis analogy again?

It's true - if you know car modelling is going to take a long time (typically 6 months per person per car), then it's logical to hire more people to fulfil the job quicker and/or more effectively.

SolidSnakex said:

I don't know an exact number, but they need a hell of a lot more than they have now, especially if the 6 month development figure is what they are sticking to. I appreciate the time they put into the premiums and would not want them to sacrifice any of it, so the only option is to get more people on board.

Usually teams expand when they realise they will need to do more work. Just look at my favourite example ever: Assassins Creed II, which had 450 people working on it.

Yoboman

Mush said:
I think what everyone is going for the old "quality over quantity" argument. They've got the quality nailed, they just need to start pumping the quantity out.
But the quality isn't there in so many ways

Truespeed said:

Kaz has recently said that GT6 won't be out for three more years, and knowing how they like to take their time, I'd say that's an optimistic estimation.

Yay Forza 4!

One thing I hope T10 do with the gameplay is to fix the leveling system so that you don't get as many regular/stock cars for free. Or you're given more concept or tuner special cars, like the GT series does. There's a Pokemon-like addictiveness with GT5 making you work to purchase a very specific car, and on occasion, getting a unique tuned up car or a very random concept or something like that.

paskowitz said:
I am still waiting for Forza to give me the chance to become a real life racing driver.

I really, really miss the customization of cars in GT5. That's really one of Forza's strengths. You can't do anything in GT5 besides two or three lame front and rear spoilers, rims and a total race modification (only on few selected cars). The painting in GT5 is also such a joke.

Afrikan

yeah Ploid 3.0 those photos fooled me....heck I'm still not sure if those are real or not. I'm guessing they are from the game, but damn it looks like a a real photo. o_O

Top Bottom