• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

-viper-

Banned
brotkasten said:

I really, really miss the customization of cars in GT5. That's really one of Forza's strengths. You can't do anything in GT5 besides two or three lame front and rear spoilers, rims and a total race modification (only on few selected cars). The painting in GT5 is also such a joke.
Both games are like this - on pretty much most of the exotics, you can only add the FM3 branded bumper and spoiler.

There are a lot of things Turn 10 do better and one of these is that FM is straight to the point. The driving model in GT5 is excellent, but the long load times are just awful. There is also a huge grind in GT5 thanks to the levelling system. Grinding is not fun. I don't want to race the same track 100 times just to finally have enough money to buy a LMP. D:

Afrikan said:
yeah Ploid 3.0 those photos fooled me....heck I'm still not sure if those are real or not. I'm guessing they are from the game, but damn it looks like a a real photo. o_O

You should check out the realistic photo thread on GTplanet

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134329

There are a lot of photos in that thread that will surprise you. This photo by Jay is still my favorite

RIU7E.jpg

Shaneus

brotkasten said:

I really, really miss the customization of cars in GT5. That's really one of Forza's strengths. You can't do anything in GT5 besides two or three lame front and rear spoilers, rims and a total race modification (only on few selected cars). The painting in GT5 is also such a joke.
Same here. The first feeling I got after firing up Forza 3 for the first time in a while is that even a mildly modified car (no custom vinyls, just wheels, aero and suspension) feels like it's really "my car" and not just something I've bought parts for. GT5 still feels a little less like this and more like a car you've bought and added some shit to.

-viper- said:
There are a lot of things Turn 10 do better and one of these is that FM is straight to the point. The driving model in GT5 is excellent, but the long load times are just awful. There is also a huge grind in GT5 thanks to the levelling system. Grinding is not fun. I don't want to race the same track 100 times just to finally have enough money to buy a LMP. D:
And this. There are some ridiculous design decisions that made it through, especially while navigating the menus and the load times. Even after installing it takes ages to load/retry any track and the load screen is bare and seems like it's a placeholder for something better.

I scored a Move starter pack over the weekend and was tinkering with the head tracking. Having to enable tracking in options, start a race, test, go back through about 5-6 different menus, (all having at least 5-10 second delays, usually more because I was downloading stuff on PC at the time... seriously, network usage should not have an effect on navigating through menus that don't fucking interact with the internet) tweak the configuration and test again was tiresome and not at all worth the effort.

gogogow

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Polyphony's problem isn't that they are under-talented, it's that they're under-staffed. ~30 car modellers out of 140 total staff is a major project bottleneck.
I agree that they need WAY more car modellers. At least double the amount they have now. We would have around 400+ premiums and there would be no need to add those 800 GT4 cars. But that is not the only problem PD has. They've worked at least 5 years on GT5 and let's forget about the GT4 cars. What about the untouched tracks? They are straight from the PS2 versions, they even look like PSone quality, low poly and all. In 5 years time they can't touch them up, not even a little? Forget about adding polygons, can't they at least put some higher res textures in there? PD really needs to get their priorities straight. Someone really needs to ask Kaz why the fuck they didn't do anything with those tracks. Can't they see those tracks looks way off when they are driving a premium car on those tracks? I have no idea how that can pass QA.

-viper- said:
Both games are like this - on pretty much most of the exotics, you can only add the FM3 branded bumper and spoiler.

I'm not talking about exotics. A Civic, 147 or a Skyline isn't an exotic car, but you still can't do anything with them in GT5. That's not the case in FM3.

gogogow said:
I agree that they need WAY more car modellers. At least double the amount they have now. We would have around 400+ premiums and there would be no need to add those 800 GT4 cars. But that is not the only problem PD has. They've worked at least 5 years on GT5 and let's forget about the GT4 cars. What about the untouched tracks? They are straight from the PS2 versions, they even look like PSone quality, low poly and all. In 5 years time they can't touch them up, not even a little? Forget about adding polygons, can't they at least put some higher res textures in there? PD really needs to get their priorities straight. Someone really needs to ask Kaz why the fuck they didn't do anything with those tracks. Can't they see those tracks looks way off when they are driving a premium car on those tracks? I have no idea how that can pass QA.

I'm willing to bet that some of the drawbacks of the graphics were down to performance issues, not just time constraints.

-viper-

Banned
GT6 needs to be a PS4 game. Day/night in all tracks, weather in all tracks, improved engine sounds for all cars, premium cars only, improved A.I., more customisation, better collision physics, better online, and locked at 60FPS, AA and most importantly, IMPROVED LOAD TIMES.

= a good game.

They should also hire 100 more people for cars and track modelling. Some tracks in GT5 look incredible (e.g. Circuit de la Sarthe, Nurburgring) whilst others look terrible (Top Gear). I imagine it would be the cars and tracks which will occupy 99% of the 'content' in the game.

To me the development of GT5 sounds really bad. Some of the features in the 'demo' builds are completely absent in the game. Fuji Speedway was supposed to have a makeover (and it looked FANTASTIC in GT Academy builds). Yet in my copy, it looks just like Fuji in Prologue. Also, where is the mechanical damage? Actual damage? Paint scratches?

They need to do this all very quickly too. It just doesn't make sense how GT5 took 5 years to make. Most of the content is 'standard'.

Still, I'm enjoying the game a lot, but, in many ways, it has been disappointing. But at least they got the most important thing right: the driving model. I think the IGN review was right. A 10/10 simulator, a 5/10 game.

Shaneus

brotkasten said:
I'm not talking about exotics. A Civic, 147 or a Skyline isn't an exotic car, but you still can't do anything with them in GT5. That's not the case in FM3.
Which Skyline? You'll have to be specific... there's about 50 of them :lol

-viper-

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I'm willing to bet that some of the drawbacks of the graphics were down to performance issues, not just time constraints.
No...?

The tracks they actually seem to have spent time on, e.g. London, Rome, Madrid, Circuit de la Sarthe, Monza, Nurburgring, Special Stage 5/7 actually look incredible.

The tracks ported from GT4, e.g. Trial Mountain, look horrible.

-viper-

Banned
theignoramus said:
Fm3 doesnt have fast loading. Not as apalling as GT5's loading, but it's long enough and not "straight to point" by any stretch.
The menus ---> game load times are slow. Probably slower than GT5.

But navigation throughout menus is very quick.

GT5 takes forever to navigate in and out of the menus.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Shaneus said:
start a race, test, go back through about 5-6 different menus, (all having at least 5-10 second delays, usually more because I was downloading stuff on PC at the time... seriously, network usage should not have an effect on navigating through menus that don't fucking interact with the internet) tweak the configuration and test again was tiresome and not at all worth the effort.

Sorry, this is BS. No menu takes near 5 seconds, let alone 10 and what you are doing on your local network has no bearing on the menu speed. I doubt you have the game.

The first few days the PD server was getting slammed. They patched it and it has not been an issue since.

I dunno what Sarthe you've been driving, but the grass textures in some parts of that circuit are brutally low res. I assume it looks much better at night when you cant see the grass, but visually, I prefer FM3's Le Mans to GT5's daytime LeMans.
But yes, tracks like Monaco, Tokyo, London,Rome etc look like they actually belong in a modern game and can easily compete with anything in Forza.

Ploid 3.0 said:
77qIS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MdwQ8.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]
I thought that was real. Car. Track. Trees. All exceptional.

But then I looked at the house in the background. unnatural softness.

(yes friends, creating a natural looking Bokeh is extremely difficult to do, even in 2010)

everything else felt very life-like. <3 GT5.

Shaneus

DeadGzuz said:
Sorry, this is BS. No menu takes near 5 seconds, let alone 10 and what you are doing on your local network has no bearing on the menu speed. I doubt you have the game.

The first few days the PD server was getting slammed. They patched it and it has not been an issue since.
A menu may come up but there's no cursor to move around. Don't say it's BS because I've fucking seen it happen. Any other experiences that I've had which you'd care to completely invalidate so concisely?

-viper-

Banned
theignoramus said:
I dunno what Sarthe you've been driving, but the grass textures in some parts of that circuit are brutally low res. I assume it looks much better at night when you cant see the grass, but visually, I prefer FM3's Le Mans to GT5's daytime LeMans.
But yes, tracks like Monaco, Tokyo, London,Rome etc look like they actually belong in a modern game and can easily compete with anything in Forza.
I guess I've not noticed the low resolution textures then. The road textures look really good however. When you're playing the track in cockpit view combined with the lighting, it looks incredible to me :p

DeadGzuz

Banned
Shaneus said:
A menu may come up but there's no cursor to move around. Don't say it's BS because I've fucking seen it happen. Any other experiences that I've had which you'd care to completely invalidate so concisely?

5-10 secs huh? Sticking with that fanboy BS? Take that to the OT and have people "help" you with your issues.

-viper-

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Saw this in the Forza 4 thread:

Someone get Kaz on the phone, this is how you do things (as well as hiring many more people). Let lesser studios do your grunt work and then get your own people to perfect it.
PD take note. I would have preferred 800 Forza 3 cars than 800 GT4 cars.

Fusebox

Banned
I wish I could have the outside-view engine noise when I'm driving from the inside-view in GT5. Can I roll down my virtual windows to get some engine rasp back? Sounds all muffled from the inside. :(

DeadGzuz said:
Sorry, this is BS. No menu takes near 5 seconds, let alone 10

Yeah they do.

-viper-

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They aren't going to outsource so you might as well forget about it.
Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper than hiring 100 more people? Doesn't really make any sense. It will only benefit PD in two ways: money saved, and a more quickly developed game.

But of course, the quality of the content may suffer - but remodelling the GT4 cars to an acceptable standard whilst PD model all the new cars = win win situation for everyone.

Shaneus

DeadGzuz said:

5-10 secs huh? Sticking with that fanboy BS? Take that to the OT and have people "help" you with your issues.
Clearly I don't own the game:
5zl829.png

I know what the issue is. When there's severe local network traffic the menus bog down like a motherfucker. Take the first few days when PD's servers shat themselves, the game takes ages to connect to the network, slowing the menu down. Me downloading shit is essentially duplicating that scenario.

Fusebox said:
I wish I could have the outside-view engine noise when I'm driving from the inside-view in GT5. Can I roll down my virtual windows to get some engine rasp back? Sounds all muffled from the inside. :(

Forza and GT both need to put that in.

It was in TDU and it was great opening/closing your windows and hearing the difference.

Equus Bellator Apex

So what do you guys get when you win this battle?

That was a rhetorical question. You guys get nothing. Nothing at all.

You're not going to convince anyone one that they're wrong. So what's the point?

What's the point of searching for shitty screenshots to shove in someone's face?

What's the point of making lists?

What's the point of posting gif after gif after gif.

I think the saddest thing, like the most tragic thing in this thread is...

Everyone in this thread LOVES CARS and they LOVE RACING THEM.

Why can't we focus on that?

Why can't we focus on the fact that WE HAVE SO MUCH IN COMMON.

We are a minority.

So when I see guys tear each apart over THE STUPIST SHIT, it fucking breaks my heart. It makes me ashamed to be a gamer.

I overreacted

KingDizzi

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They aren't going to outsource so you might as well forget about it.

Well then they need to hire more internal stuff, end of. Something has to be done, they are in the unique position where they are being told to make the fucking games quicker rather than not milking it to death. There really should be no more than 3 years between GT games, that is ample time or would be for most developers not named PD. One thing for sure is that GT6 should be a PS4 launch title, start the console off with a bang and it gives more than enough time to develop the game. Most importantly PD get a better machine to work with.

Shaneus

Equus Bellator Apex said:
I overreacted
Nah, no overreaction... I agree. Even though I admittedly have my allegiances (don't we all?), I have massive fucking issues when someone tries to call me out on something that is a perfectly valid and non-exaggerated complaint.

-viper- said:
Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper than hiring 100 more people? Doesn't really make any sense. It will only benefit PD in two ways: money saved, and a more quickly developed game.

But of course, the quality of the content may suffer - but remodelling the GT4 cars to an acceptable standard whilst PD model all the new cars = win win situation for everyone.

You can't just remodel those GT4 cars. They're completely different in comparison to the premium models. The premium models are made up of individual parts while the GT4 models are basically just one piece, there's nothing separating each part. That's why there are textures for stuff like the door seam instead of a space.

They should just hire more staff for car modeling and go from there. That way they can insure that the premium models are the same across the board in terms of detail.

-viper-

Banned
KingDizzi said:
Well then they need to hire more internal stuff, end of. Something has to be done, they are in the unique position where they are being told to make the fucking games quicker rather than not milking it to death. There really should be no more than 3 years between GT games, that is ample time or would be for most developers not named PD. One thing for sure is that GT6 should be a PS4 launch title, start the console off with a bang and it gives more than enough time to develop the game. Most importantly PD get a better machine to work with.
Yeah. I think if GT6 was released on the PS3, it won't really be much of an improvement over this game - given the limitations of the PS3.

Besides, GT6 on the PS4 is a good target. Gives them 3 years to make the game (assuming we'll see a PS4 then). Model as many premium cars and tracks as possible. And implement all the stuff I've mentioned in my post describing how to improve upon GT5 :p

-viper- said:

In an ideal world:

~100 dedicated modellers for cars
~80 dedicated modellers for tracks
- a team of around 20 specifically set up to re-texture and add detail to existing PS2 assets
- a graphics research team of around 15 people who will look at adding features such as MLAA, higher-res alpha effects and other special effects
- the rest of the team would be about 100 people I guess
- outsourced teams around the world

Total internal size = ~350 people at peak levels + outsourced teams

So we already have 200 premium cars with 800 left to do, and a bunch of premium tracks and another bunch of standard tracks.

- 60 dedicated car modellers make another 200 cars from scratch
- the outsourced teams provide another 300 of decent quality cars
- the dedicated PS2 asset team supply 50 or so re-done standard cars, as well as new track textures etc
- the other 40 modellers have the task of further perfecting what the outsourced and PS2 teams did

- half the track modellers build another 5-10 all new tracks and add more detail to existing premium tracks.
- about 30 work with the PS2 asset team to improve the existing standard tracks to the level of premiums
- the remainder of the track modellers are dedicated to improving the track creation. they re-use some of the work they did on GT5, but also let the player make the whole track themselves out of 'famous corners' or something (no randomised shit). They could perhaps even draft in some of the ModNation Racers team and rip-off their system of track creation (you 'lay' the track as you drive across an empty landscape).

Finally, the dedicated technology research team works to optimise the living shit out of the game, including MLAA, effects and improved shadows.

---

So what does this all give us?

200 [existing] + 300 [outsourced] + 200 [all new] + 50 [heavily updated], all premium quality cars = 750 cars total; remaining standard cars are stripped out completely.

More tracks, as well as old, all of premium standard.

DLC should also be created in the years post-release to offer an additional 20+ cars and three more premium tracks, as well as a dedicated Tokyo Motor Show pack.

Project development time - 2 years, basically what Turn 10 are doing. The team is over twice the size, but the game is released twice as soon. A Prologue version is off the cards now, but you get your mainline 8 million seller out more frequently so it doesn't matter, and DLC will further subsidize costs. Best of all however, as gamers we get the game sooner.

I don't know why everyone wants GT6 on the PS4. Are you really that satisfied with GT5?

GT5 was one of the reasons I bought my PS3 and if it remains the only GT game in this gen, I would be kinda pissed. The game is awesome, no doubt about that, but it's also disappointing in so many ways and I would feel left behind, if they'd use GT6 as a PS4 launch title instead of a good, polished PS3 game at the end of the PS3 lifecycle. It would be like GT4 never existed on the PS2.

But maybe that's just me.

Shaneus

Yeah, the stuff that needs to be improved on in GT5 isn't related to machine performance, more developer planning. More premiums can be done on PS3 (it's just a storage/time issue), more streamlined experience can be done on PS3 (it's a design thing), more improved damage *should* be possible (doubt it would take more CPU time to tweak it) and all the other stuff that's getting patched in will be implemented and ready to go.

GT6 I reckon will probably be out *maybe* late 2012 as something to give the PS3 some last legs just before they start work on PS4.

paskowitz

brotkasten said:
I don't know why everyone wants GT6 on the PS4. Are you really that satisfied with GT5?

GT5 was one of the reasons I bought my PS3 and if it remains the only GT game in this gen, I would be kinda pissed. The game is awesome, no doubt about that, but it's also disappointing in so many ways and I would feel left behind, if they'd use GT6 as a PS4 launch title instead of a good, polished PS3 game at the end of the PS3 lifecycle. It would be like GT4 never existed on the PS2.

The reasoning for this is so that GT6 is a LAUNCH title for the PS4 and we do not have to wait a million years for a GT PS4 title. There is no way PD is doing GT6 on the PS3 then GT7 on the PS4 within the first year of the PS4's existence. The PS3 is not really that powerful. Lets face it. If PD had a 1-2gb of ram and 1gb or video ram amongst other things they would have a lot more freedom to work the way they want. They already have most of the base detail, they just needs a system that can handle it. I believe the actual production process would take less time because they would not have optimize everything to death.

Shaneus

paskowitz said:
The reasoning for this is so that GT6 is a LAUNCH title for the PS4 and we do not have to wait a million years for a GT PS4 title. There is no way PD is doing GT6 on the PS3 then GT7 on the PS4 within the first year of the PS4's existence. The PS3 is not really that powerful. Lets face it. If PD had a 1-2gb of ram and 1gb or video ram amongst other things they would have a lot more freedom to work the way they want. They already have most of the base detail, they just needs a system that can handle it. I believe the actual production process would take less time because they would not have optimize everything to death.
See my post above... I honestly don't think many of the constraints PD were under were due to system performance. Look at the quality of the premium cars... races with only premiums still run fine, they just didn't have the time to model as many of them as we'd have liked.

Edit: This is all with a big IMO, FYI :)

brotkasten said:

I'm perfectly happy with it. All they really need to do is release Spec upgrades like they did to Prologue. A few new tracks packaged with some cars and that would be great. Then they can put the sequel on the PS4 at or around launch time. I'm not really interested in just a simple "more cars and tracks" GT, I want them to be as ambitious as they were with GT5. So, let them work on it for the PS4 instead of the PS3 so that they can definitely pull that off. It'll also give them time to figure out how to expand the Special Events mode into the new GT mode, which I think everyone wants.

gogogow

paskowitz said:
Sorry, but that is bullshit. They should work with what they have. Consoles will always be underpowered compared to high-end PC's. There will always be limitations, whether it's the PS4/PS5/Xbox Next etc. You can't say "if PD had 1-2GB of ram and.....". No, you have 512MB ram and you have to work with that, just like everyone else. I don't see Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games and Santa Monica Studios "wanting to skip" the PS3, because it's not "powerful" enough. It's not like Uncharted, GOW3, KZ3 etc. aren't impressive games. GT5 should've never been released the state's it's in. If Kazunori's vision couldn't be realized with the PS3, then they should've scaled it back a little to make it possible, running at a constant 60fps, higher res particles, higher res shadows etc. Because THIS GT5 just doesn't feel like it's coming from PD, the perfectionists they are supposed to be.

-viper-

Banned
gogogow said:
Sorry, but that is bullshit. They should work with what they have. Consoles will always be underpowered compared to high-end PC's. There will always be limitations, whether it's the PS4/PS5/Xbox Next etc. You can't say "if PD had 1-2GB of ram and.....". No, you have 512MB ram and you have to work with that, just like everyone else. I don't see Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games and Santa Monica Studios "wanting to skip" the PS3, because it's not "powerful" enough. It's not like Uncharted, GOW3, KZ3 etc. aren't impressive games. GT5 should've never been released the state's it's in. If Kazunori's vision couldn't be realized with the PS3, then they should've scaled it back a little to make it possible, running at a constant 60fps, higher res particles, higher res shadows etc. Because THIS GT5 just doesn't feel like it's coming from PD, the perfectionists they are supposed to be.
GT5's fault for rendering at 1280x1080p.

Should have stuck to 1280x720p.

I think GT5 is an impressive game. It looks mind blowing at times and plays like a dream despite the framerate and tearing issues. But for all those years in development, I expected a 'complete' and 'polished' package.

GT6 on the PS4 makes a lot more sense than GT6 on the PS3.

They can release Prologue style Spec updates for GT5 and I'll be happy with that.

gogogow said:
Sorry, but that is bullshit. They should work with what they have. Consoles will always be underpowered compared to high-end PC's. There will always be limitations, whether it's the PS4/PS5/Xbox Next etc. You can't say "if PD had 1-2GB of ram and.....". No, you have 512MB ram and you have to work with that, just like everyone else. I don't see Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games and Santa Monica Studios "wanting to skip" the PS3, because it's not "powerful" enough.

As I said earlier, having GT6 as a PS4 title would benefit both gamers and Sony. Gamers would get the next edition on a more powerful platform and Sony would likely get it as a launch title or at least near the launch. If GT6 were to be a PS3 title then the PS4 version probably wouldn't come out until 2-3 years after that platform is on the market.

-viper-

Banned
I'm guessing 'next-generation' consoles will be revealed within the next three years. Probably aiming for a 2012/2013 release date for PS4. 6/7 years since PS3's release date. Makes sense.

gogogow

-viper- said:

I think GT5 is an impressive game. It looks mind blowing at times and plays like a dream despite the framerate and tearing issues. But for all those years in development, I expected a 'complete' and 'polished' package.

They can release Prologue style Spec updates for GT5 and I'll be happy with that.
I'm not sure sticking to 720p could've fixed all of those problems.
It seems PD had a lot of optimization problems, hence the lowres shadows, lowres particles, inconsistent framerate, tearing etc. Fixing all of those is a lot of work and might even need to rewrite parts of the engine and/or heavy optimization, which in the first place caused the delays/5 years of development.

If they can't fix any of these with patches, then yeah, I want a GT6 on the PS3 that runs at a constant 60fps, acceptable shadows, acceptable particle effects or revert to GT5P particles, no more standard cars but 400-500 premium cars (optional importing GT4/GTPSP cars via GT5 disc/PSP connectivity), no more PS2/PSone quality tracks, only "premium" tracks, fix whatever problems the online mode has. THIS is the GT6 I want, not the GT5 that was released 3 weeks ago.

SolidSnakex said:
I'm perfectly happy with it. All they really need to do is release Spec upgrades like they did to Prologue. A few new tracks packaged with some cars and that would be great. Then they can put the sequel on the PS4 at or around launch time. I'm not really interested in just a simple "more cars and tracks" GT, I want them to be as ambitious as they were with GT5. So, let them work on it for the PS4 instead of the PS3 so that they can definitely pull that off. It'll also give them time to figure out how to expand the Special Events mode into the new GT mode, which I think everyone wants.

You're really perfectly happy with GT5 as it is right now? Perfectly. Happy?

You can't customize your cars.
You don't have any weather or night races in A-Spec (at least not in the Expert Series).
You can't save during an endurance race.
The Top Gear Challenges are fucking stupid. What a waste of this license.
There's no mechanical damage in SP at all (it's a SIM, ffs!)
The multiplayer part is a joke (no leaderboards? wth?)
The AI is an asshole and very slow in the corners.
The UI looks nice, but it's inefficient and the load times can be really bad.

I probably forgot some things, but it doesn't matter right now.

If you're perfectly happy with that, good for you. I'm not. It's not 2005 anymore. And I don't think any of this has to do with the lack of processing power and it's definitely not just 'moar cars!!111'.

vanty

Raist said:
I thought these were real pics and were like "the hell is the point of this post?"
And then I noticed the GT logo. wtf.
Just wondering, are people actually serious when they say stuff like this? I've never seen anything from GT5 or FM3 that looked remotely real, even the very best GT5 shots look closer to decent CG than a shot of a real car.

gogogow

SolidSnakex said:
As I said earlier, having GT6 as a PS4 title would benefit both gamers and Sony. Gamers would get the next edition on a more powerful platform and Sony would likely get it as a launch title or at least near the launch. If GT6 were to be a PS3 title then the PS4 version probably wouldn't come out until 2-3 years after that platform is on the market.
I think you are too optimistic. Reason why GT5 took so long is probably "getting to know" the PS3 and constantly tweaking the engine to get it to work, next to modelling premium cars. And still, after 5+ years, GT5 leaves a lot to be desired. What makes you think PD can just roll out a GT6 as an early/launch PS4 title? Not even ND could roll out a game near PS3's launch, which doesn't have that much assets to worry about compared to a GT game, hundreds/thousands of cars, tracks etc. that needs to be modelled like the real thing.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
-viper- said:

Honestly, GT5P (getting GT5 for christmas) looks fucking great because it is 1280x1080p. The extra resolution provides a level of fidelity that Uncharted and Killzone 2 just don't have. The difference in clarity is absolutely significant.

gogogow said:
I think you are too optimistic. Reason why GT5 took so long is probably "getting to know" the PS3 and constantly tweaking the engine to get it to work, next to modelling premium cars. And still, after 5+ years, GT5 leaves a lot to be desired. What makes you think PD can just roll out a GT6 as an early/launch PS4 title? Not even ND could roll out a game near PS3's launch, which doesn't have that much assets to worry about compared to a GT game, hundreds/thousands of cars, tracks etc. that needs to be modelled like the real thing.

I'm not sure what your ND comparison means. ND's last game on the PS2 came out in October of 2005. They're well known to be a team that only works on one game at a time. So, why would anyone have expected them to get out a game near launch?

As far as GT goes, obviously there's no way of absolutely knowing that it could be ready for the launch, but it's certainly a much more likely scenario if they're able to start focusing on that being their goal. I'd imagine that Sony has already started to nail down the specs for the PS4, so PD would have a guide to follow. I just find it to be a much better scenario for everyone. I love GT but I don't really have a strong desire for another to be released this generation. This is helped by the fact that they can lengthen GT5's life with DLC, something that they never could've done with previous GT's. There's just no reason for them to be in a rush to put out a sequel on the PS3.

Top Bottom