• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

theignoramus said:
They could have improved performance by dropping to 2xMSAA at 720p. Not sure what the end result would be though, probably something fiercely jagged.

You already have shadow the size of atari 2600 Pac-man .. if you drop that, I can't imagine what the game would looks like.

I really enjoy GT5 but amount of hype that Sony fans and all the bull-shot during the last few years just raise expectation up so high. I can live with not achieve such visual but the frame torn and stutter really take a toll on my enjoyment during race. The cars in front of me look great until the get cut in half and reassemble.

My most disappointment is probably the lack of cockpit and crappy looking standard cars. I thought I would be OK with it but after my first premium car, the lovely Integra, going back to standard car was a kick in the face. Then after that I realized I can't really used just premium car because some race require that I drive those shitty looking cars. *sigh*

It's still fun and there a thing or two T10 can learn from PD especially more tracks and interesting RPG like leveling which keep the race exciting.

antiquegamer said:
It's still fun and there a thing or two T10 can learn from PD especially more tracks and interesting RPG like leveling which keep the race exciting.
Forza does have leveling though, both driver levels and levels for each specific car. And owning both it sure feels like Forza has more tracks - but then again I don't know how many unlock in GT5.

I still haven't unlocked Nurburgring in GT5 yet :(

Shaneus

NullPointer said:
Forza does have leveling though, both driver levels and levels for each specific car. And owning both it sure feels like Forza has more tracks - but then again I don't know how many unlock in GT5.

If it helps, I seem to remember one of the special events had you driving a Merc around some sections of it. That's about as close as I've come though.

NullPointer said:

Counting here, if you bought all the DLC, then Forza has 23 tracks. Gran Turismo 5 has 26 tracks. So that's 3 to 6 more for GT5 depending on whether you include DLC.

On the other hand, I don't know exactly how many variations each track has, but as they announced 100+ for Forza that's probably more than the 71 that GT has ... The value of these variations is going to be different for everyone, and the 71 does not include the various weather and light condition variations (I know I personally rather like the Nurburgring and Le Sarthe with day/night and/or weather change options in GT5, more so than any other variations out there)

Forza 3's list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forza_Motorsport_courses

Gran Turismo 5's list: http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gt5/tracks/

And yes, you unlock the Nurburgring (and the Top Gear track) through the AMG special events.

NullPointer said:

Forza 3 leveling is so boring.... you finish the race and watch the line go up. They should award you with rare car with reach milestones, like may be special version of classic (that are so fricking expensive). I think this would make the award car more special. Also you do get some discount for parts but for the most part it was just inconsequential. I hope in 4 they would add thing that make leveling especially later stage more meaning.. special invite to special races that limit your car selection. PGR4 was great as far as race calendar and I was imagine something similar when Forza 3 was announce but the end result was just a calendar add on top of the old list. In essence all it did was the game look at your cars and then pick event for you that you could just as easily pick yourself.

antiquegamer said:
Forza 3 leveling is so boring.... you finish the race and watch the line go up. They should award you with rare car with reach milestones, like may be special version of classic (that are so fricking expensive). I think this would make the award car more special. Also you do get some discount for parts but for the most part it was just inconsequential. I hope in 4 they would add thing that make leveling especially later stage more meaning.. special invite to special races that limit your car selection. PGR4 was great as far as race calendar and I was imagine something similar when Forza 3 was announce but the end result was just a calendar add on top of the old list. In essence all it did was the game look at your cars and then pick event for you that you could just as easily pick yourself.
I would definitely dig an expansion on the leveling perks and rewards. I also like the extra challenges in NFS:Shift in terms of mastering corners at speed.

And great post Maastricht. I'm close to unlocking the ring but I Dont think I have the skills or patience to ever unlock the Top Gear track.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
antiquegamer said:

Custom paint job themed vehicles as special rewards (once you pick it you can't get the others yourself), allow people to select one of three and the only way to get the others is to trade for them online or buy them off other players.

G Rom

Yeah, the leveling in Forza needs to be revamped. I also want the winning car animation that you get when you gain a level to be used even when you buy a new car, it looked so great and had a the nice music. :D

About the GT5 collision, did you do the GT All Stars Championship, Metalmurphy ?
If you haven't, then I can understand that you think the collision are fine most of the time. If you've entered it then I refuse to believe that you didn't at least once end up spinning out due to colliding with one of the LMP1 car and being frustrated by that. :lol
This championship was a nightmare and really shows you that the collisions are terrible.

At slow speed, if you bump into another car, you get glued to it and if the bump happens at slightly higher speed, you'll end up 99% of the time spinning out unrealistically.
The collisions are better than Prologue, there's no doubt about it but it's still miles away from the other recent racing games.

NinjaBoiX

CozMick said:
Comparing framerates with a game that has inferior car models, lower resolution and half the amount of cars on track is stupid.
No it's not. It wouldn't be fair to expect GT5 to run as well as FM3 as things stand, but I think it is completely fair to have expected PD to test the game and admit it was pushing too much. 40-60 fps and 10-20% torn frames is not acceptable, especially considering Kaz's previous statement about poorly optimised racers (can't remember the source or exact contents, along the lines of "not 60fps, not a real racer"). At least T10 worked within thier means to achieve rock solid performance. I'd take that over more cars and pixels any day. GT5 feels unfinished and slightly broken to be honest.

NullPointer said:
I would definitely dig an expansion on the leveling perks and rewards. I also like the extra challenges in NFS:Shift in terms of mastering corners at speed.

And great post Maastricht. I'm close to unlocking the ring but I Dont think I have the skills or patience to ever unlock the Top Gear track.

For Top Gear, you just need a gold on any level. And although it takes you a little while to get used to driving that kind of car, getting gold with the Sambabus is actually pretty easy. It took me a handful of attempts. The lotus one is difficult as heck, but after turning the assists off (which actually seems to make it easier) and some hard work I got second, so I'm definitely getting there. Anyway, fifth initially seems difficult, but you can get fifth already after one lap, so it's not as hard as it seems.

Anyway, just to re-iterate, for unlocking the Top Gear track you just need one gold. So gold with the Sambabus does the trick.

For unlocking the Nurburgring, you only need bronze for the Intermediate level. Also definitely very doable, and worth doing so - makes driving on the Ring more fun, if you can at least drive it well enough to pass intermediate with bronze. ;) (should be pretty easy, I got big fat silvers on my first attempt and bronze is waaay more generous)

For a full list of what to do for what, check here. A list like this should be your bible when playing this game, so you also know what cars you don't have to buy ;) :

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134047

G Rom said:
About the GT5 collision, did you do the GT All Stars Championship, Metalmurphy ?
If you haven't, then I can understand that you think the collision are fine most of the time. If you've entered it then I refuse to believe that you didn't at least once end up spinning out due to colliding with one of the LMP1 car and being frustrated by that. :lol
This championship was a nightmare and really shows you that the collisions are terrible.

At slow speed, if you bump into another car, you get glued to it and if the bump happens at slightly higher speed, you'll end up 99% of the time spinning out unrealistically.
The collisions are better than Prologue, there's no doubt about it but it's still miles away from the other recent racing games.
damn didn't know that.

G Rom said:
Yeah, the leveling in Forza needs to be revamped. I also want the winning car animation that you get when you gain a level to be used even when you buy a new car, it looked so great and had a the nice music. :D

No I haven't, (still trying to gold all special events). I've spun out several times but not due to collisions from behind, but more because of the stupid AI, they sometimes end up doing a perfect tail swipe without even noticing. I don't agree that the bumps at slighty higher speeds make you spin 99% of the time btw. Unless you're in a elevated turn like in the NASCAR tracks that rarely happens. And i'm not sure how unrealistic that is if it does happen on an elevated turn. (don't have much experience in crashing irl :lol )

-NinjaBoiX- said:
No it's not. It wouldn't be fair to expect GT5 to run as well as FM3 as things stand, but I think it is completely fair to have expected PD to test the game and admit it was pushing too much. 40-60 fps and 10-20% torn frames is not acceptable, especially considering Kaz's previous statement about poorly optimised racers (can't remember the source or exact contents, along the lines of "not 60fps, not a real racer"). At least T10 worked within thier means to achieve rock solid performance. I'd take that over more cars and pixels any day. GT5 feels unfinished and slightly broken to be honest.
Why do I have the feeling you never played the game? I can understand being pissed at the tearing, but you make it sound like the framerate in GT5 is unberable, when in fact, it's close to 60fps 90% of the time. Saying it's 40-60 doesn't really paint the true picture.

G Rom

Oh, it happens on flat surface too, you'll see !:lol
I don't need to experience crash in real life to see that it's unrealistic, I just need to watch some real races. Bumping between cars happens a lot in touring car races and they don't magically spin out each time they make contact, be it front/behind contact or side by side contact. :D

bedlamite

So the collisions get worse as you level up? oh boy

I don't find anything wrong with the framerate, it's been rock solid IMO and I doubt it gets worse as your cars go faster heh

bedlamite said:
I don't find anything wrong with the framerate, it's been rock solid IMO and I doubt it gets worse as your cars go faster heh
Rock solid is certainly not how I'd describe GT5's framerate, especially not in night races / races with weather.

G Rom

bedlamite said:
So the collisions get worse as you level up? oh boy

They don't get worse, they just become a lot more apparent. That's because you and the AI both get faster cars.

drugstore_cowboy said:
shocked to see Twin Ring Motegi was only introduced as DLC in Forza 2, that track sticks out like a sore thumb in it's low res 2d ugliness, I thought it must have been a Forza 1 port.

I think you're talking about the ugly trees which are the same kind that you see at Sebring or pretty much all the ported Forza 2 tracks.
Why they didn't put the superior trees seen in Camino Viejo on every tracks is beyond me... :-/

There's that word 'definitive' again. I really want to like this next iteration of Forza but I hope MS and Dan Greenawalt can tone down the cuntishness this time round.

G Rom

Forza 4 is the definitive racing game of 2011 while Forza 3 was the definitive racing game of this generation. FM3 > FM4 confirmed ?:lol :lol

Edit : Shit, C&V just left out the best part of the press release : "the highest-rated racing franchise of this generation returns in Autumn 2011" !:lol
I didn't think it was possible but this announcement already beat the FM3 one PR/hyperbole wise !:lol

SmokyDave

NeoGIF said:
Dangerous ground. If they fuck this one up, GT5 fans will vent all of their rage and frustrations. Probably best not to boast so soon.

I love it though, more racing goodness for me. I hope they rip off a load of GT5's best features and then to retaliate, Polyphony patch a load of Forza inspired stuff into GT5. The longer and harder these 2 scrap, the better racing games get for us all.

Having said that, I don't think Polyphony give a fuck. If they do, they're being pretty quiet about it.

ssolitare said:
So Forza 4 isn't a Kinect game though right? Kinect is just like an option right?

It's a Forza game, with some Kinect features... don't panic. I'm sure we'll see the ability to walk around the car in Kinect mode - like a photo mode of sorts. And there will probably be a few mini games... that'll be it I'm sure.

eso76

NeoGIF said:

Well, at least that should mean they're not dumbing down physics.
Unless they refer to the ability to 'step through the screen' and rub your dick against ferraris.

It's a Forza game, with some Kinect features... don't panic. I'm sure we'll see the ability to walk around the car in Kinect mode - like a photo mode of sorts. And there will probably be a few mini games... that'll be it I'm sure.

kinect in fm4 working in conjunction (?) with a racing wheel could be awesome.

How ? showing you the exact position of your arms and your hands on the wheel in cockpit view for example. Small thing but it would improve the feeling tenfold. Think about it, think of all animations we're still missing (which reminds me, wheels still don't turn past 280° in cockpit view even when racing with a 900° wheel...i was sure GT5 would show this and the needed hands crossing animation but nope).

The ability to interact with cockpits wouldn't be bad either; being able to push every button, adjusting rear mirror or wiping water off your visor racing in open cars in the rain...oh, i don't know, i'm more interested in the game traking your head, arms and hands in cockpit view.
Which would allow you to give the finger to other players while overtaking them in MP races for example. So next gen.

Oh and T10...how fun would a "Wax on, wax off" minigame be ? NONE, as wouldn't a car wash minigame using kinect in general, so stop thinking about it. I know you are

eso76 said:
Oh and T10...how fun would a "Wax on, wax off" minigame be ? NONE, as wouldn't a car wash minigame using kinect in general, so stop thinking about it. I know you are

Hey, leaving your fingerprints on cars would be pretty cool, but then you have to wash them as well.

Haunted

So what's the timeline here?

2009: Official Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5:p Comparison Thread
2010: Official Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread
2011: Official Forza 4 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread
2013: Official Forza 5 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread
2014: Official Forza 5 vs Gran Turismo 6:p Comparison Thread
2015: Official Forza 6 vs Gran Turismo 6 Comparison Thread

?

Haunted said:

?

There's no way Forza 5 comes out before GT6. The new engine is done.

Yoritomo

Let's get butthurt over PR campaigns!!!

You know what Sony should do? They should make a series of commercials with a snarky, disingenuous fake executive who slags on the competition and belittles their PR and products...

Seriously pull the fanboy sticks our of your asses and just play the games. Who gives a shit what the guy who gets a bonus based on the performance of the product says, he'd probably suck your cock for money anyway.

amar212

Haunted said:

?

Pretty much yes :lol:

Yoritomo said:
Let's get butthurt over PR campaigns!!!

You know what Sony should do? They should make a series of commercials with a snarky, disingenuous fake executive who slags on the competition and belittles their PR and products...

Seriously pull the fanboy sticks our of your asses and just play the games. Who gives a shit what the guy who gets a bonus based on the performance of the product says, he'd probably suck your cock for money anyway.

Seems like you've started :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yoritomo said:
I felt the best approach was to reason with the fanboys, since they always listen to things said on the internets.
Your well-reasoned posts in this thread prove it out. Well done!

LabouredSubterfuge said:
There's that word 'definitive' again. I really want to like this next iteration of Forza but I hope MS and Dan Greenawalt can tone down the cuntishness this time round.

It's no worst than "the real driving simulator", or not 60fps is not a real driving game etc. it's a fucking PR statement.

edit: beaten by the guys above me.

Metalmurphy said:
I thought Forza 3 was the definitive racing game of the generation...

Forza 4 for Xbox 720 confirmed?

Well, technically, it's Kinect support game so it's "next gen" now.

I wish when MS release 360s they would have the gut to make it real "s" as in super and allow higher clock cpu and add memory so we can have all game that can run in enchant mode for those that have s model. I know it will split market, confusion etc but it's no worst than Kinect support game and if we are not going to have next gen now, I want my 32X dammit.

Top Bottom