• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stallion Free said:
I hope Forza 4 drops the *option* to rewind and just automatically rewinds the race every time you fuck up.
It will also introduce the new "fast-forward" feature, and be able to accurately predict what you would have done in the next 15 seconds based on how you've played so far.

iam220

Is it true that in F3 there are no restrictions on driving aids online?

I've read that on a forum and thought there was no way that can be true.

eso76

Psychotext said:
Kaz seems to think it'll be three years, so probably at least 4. Forza 5 will likely be out in 2013. Could be close.

which means 200 premium models for PD and something like 800 for T10 :)

Forza 5 and GT6 will probably launch with next gen consoles, they could end up being very close to each other. The difference between Fm3 and GT5 is the latter doesn't really seem to have a lot of room left for improvements this gen except content-wise through dlc; i doubt the core could really get much better on a ps3, not enough to warrant a full sequel at least.

eso76 said:
So PD will work on 0 cars, and T10 will work on 400? oO

And going by what's been shown for FM4, seems the game will feature it's own kind of separate premium cars.

XiaNaphryz said:
It will also introduce the new "fast-forward" feature, and be able to accurately predict what you would have done in the next 15 seconds based on how you've played so far.

I could have sworn all games were supposed to be doing this by now, letting you jump in and out of gameplay and let the AI take over. Microprose Grand Prix was way ahead of its time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Graphics Horse said:
I could have sworn all games were supposed to be doing this by now, letting you jump in and out of gameplay and let the AI take over. Microprose Grand Prix was way ahead of its time.
Now that was an awesome game:

74dwy.jpg

Of course, people would jump all over it today with its steering and throttle aids, plus the wonky physics which ignored vertical velocity when assessing damage which made for some hilarious gameplay moments. :lol

Graphics Horse said:

GT does it in online races, not much point in SP since you can just pause it.

Ashes

Banned
eso76 said:

Forza 5 and GT6 will probably launch with next gen consoles, they could end up being very close to each other. The difference between Fm3 and GT5 is the latter doesn't really seem to have a lot of room left for improvements this gen except content-wise through dlc; i doubt the core could really get much better on a ps3, not enough to warrant a full sequel at least.

For the fanboys out there, they could live in the hope of GT5: epilogue on the ps3. There's unfinished business there. More premium cars, more damage, more rain/weather/day night tracks.

eso76

Metalmurphy said:
So PD will work on 0 cars, and T10 will work on 400? oO

And going by what's been shown for FM4, seems the game will feature it's own kind of separate premium cars.

yes, that kind of detail and interactivity shown here or during E3 can't be expected for all cars in the game. i'm expecting between 600 and 700 cars in fm4, including fm3 ultimate collections' 500 cars (plus the 10 cars they're releasing this week) and i'm not expecting 'showroom mode' for more than 200 of those.
Then again, all fm2 cars getting the 200k+ polys treatment for fm3 was already quite huge, so who knows...those Vietnameses sure are fast modelers :)

For the fanboys out there, they could live in the hope of GT5: epilogue on the ps3. There's unfinished business there. More premium cars, more damage, more rain/weather/day night tracks.

stuff they'll be releasing in dlc form in the next few years and will be included in GT5: epilogue. That's almost a given.

eso76 said:
yes, that kind of detail and interactivity shown here or during E3 can't be expected for all cars in the game. i'm expecting between 600 and 700 cars in fm4, including fm3 ultimate collections' 500 cars (plus the 10 cars they're releasing this week) and i'm not expecting 'showroom mode' for more than 200 of those.
Then again, all fm2 cars getting the 200k+ polys treatment for fm3 was already quite huge, so who knows...those Vietnameses sure are fast modelers :)

I think you'll be able to use all cars in that "get close and personal" mode, but the actual interaction will very between the cars. You won't be able to fully interact with the cockpit, or open the trunk, etc.

Part 1 of a 50 minute clip? Wtf?
edit: self righteous ranting at "fanboy bile" one year/hundreds of pages into a thread specifically created for it is kind of like complaining about noise at a sporting event.:lol

theignoramus said:
edit: self righteous ranting at "fanboy bile" one year/hundreds of pages into a thread specifically created for it is kind of like complaining about noise at a sporting event.:lol

This is the kind of review you want to see though. Which makes what I'm gonna say next a bit contradictory...

Did he just say you can race for pinkslips in the game? Pretty sure you can't unless I've missed something.

Yoritomo

theignoramus said:

Being better than everyone else is a burden. Turn 10 understands this.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
XiaNaphryz said:
Now that was an awesome game:

74dwy.jpg

Of course, people would jump all over it today with its steering and throttle aids, plus the wonky physics which ignored vertical velocity when assessing damage which made for some hilarious gameplay moments. :lol

I'm fairly sure you could turn off all aids in that game.

Metalmurphy said:
This is the kind of review you want to see though. Which makes what I'm gonna say next a bit contradictory...

Did he just say you can race for pinkslips in the game? Pretty sure you can't unless I've missed something.
I listened to/watched most of it. It was more than fair, but I wanted more talk about the driving.

-viper-

Banned
dak1dsk1 said:
So. In retrospect. Which is most impressive?

1. GT4 on PS2.
or.
2. GT5 on PS3.

?
In terms of being consistent and polished, GT4.

In terms of being the better 'game', GT5. Even though it has long load times and stupid shit like lack of qualifying, lack of saving through championship races etc.

I'm enjoying GT5 far more than GT4. What GT5 does right is fantastic. What it does bad, is really bad.

jett said:
I thought that was a great review, seems they loved the game overall. Their main complaint is really just the weak damage. I really appreciated their wheels comparison, holy crap at the deadzone of the DFGT.

It's a bit of a problem on the G25 as well :/

SPEA

"Forza Motorsport 4" will be the most expansive and vividly realistic automotive experience across any console, bringing you closer to the edge than you've ever been before. Through the power of Kinect, players will be able to step through the TV screen and jump into the driver's seat while the engaging controller-based experience will let you take on the bone-jarring physics, unparalleled levels of customization, and rosters of dream cars and tracks. Offering gameplay that will electrify racing fans and excite car lovers and novices alike, the highest-rated racing franchise of this generation returns in fall 2011.

:lol Ice cold Microsoft. Ice cold.

http://kotaku.com/5713129/forza-motorsport-4-has-kinect-under-the-hood

jett said:
I thought that was a great review, seems they loved the game overall. Their main complaint is really just the weak damage. I really appreciated their wheels comparison, holy crap at the deadzone of the DFGT.

It's just so weird, because I have a DFP myself, probably got it when he did as I had the same experience with plugging it into the PC and then finding I could play cool F12K and F1C modes with it :lol But I stuck with it and my only purchase after that was another brand new one for 50 Euros (probably dumb luck when it was mispriced in a retail store, cheapest anywhere else including online was well over 100).

Anyway, it feels completely right to me, so that's why I am so surprised to learn about the deadzone - I guess I'm just so used to it! But yeah, regardless, it wouldn't hurt PD to add some customisations there.

In general I get the feeling that some kind of useability guy went over the user interface and said oh my g you can't have this many buttons! You HAVE to remove at least 40% of them, or no-one casual will ever buy your game! They seem to have worked really hard to remove options to make things simpler and less cluttered, and have had a hard time (by their own admission) to integrate all the different parts.

It's a shame. I hope they're not too dedicated to keeping the disc version similar to the patched versions, as I wouldn't mind if they dropped some of that stuff back in. I can imagine that there could be discussions where some people complain that they completed, say, the Formula GT series with no possibility to save inbetween races, and now that you can, it has devolved the value of this or that trophy/stat, etc. But really, if you can improve something for the better, just do it I say.

ShapeGSX

We were talking about game audio earlier, and I wanted to share one of the cars that I feel has an amazing sound in Forza 3. The Jaguar XFR isn't the best looking car, but the engine sounds like a monster. You can't quite hear it in the Youtube video I made, but there is a supercharger whine up top that is incredible. Between the guttural roar of the engine down low and the scream up top, it is one of my favorite cars to listen to. It is even better with some good surround speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ZOPbZ1BrU

ShapeGSX said:
We were talking about game audio earlier, and I wanted to share one of the cars that I feel has an amazing sound in Forza 3. The Jaguar XFR isn't the best looking car, but the engine sounds like a monster. You can't quite hear it in the Youtube video I made, but there is a supercharger whine up top that is incredible. Between the guttural roar of the engine down low and the scream up top, it is one of my favorite cars to listen to. It is even better with some good surround speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ZOPbZ1BrU
I'd forgotten how good the audio is in Forza. I had a quick go on it yesterday, drove into a tunnel... and a HUGE grin spread across my face. :D

Drastic

iam220 said:
Is it true that in F3 there are no restrictions on driving aids online?

I've read that on a forum and thought there was no way that can be true.

Pepto said:
Of course it is not true.

Actually that's pretty close to the truth. They do have (had? I gave up on the online months ago) a "pro" or something "hopper" where some assists weren't allowed, but still allowed ABS and the driving line. They never gave us what most asked for, which was a sim hopper with NO assists.

They also had a RWD hopper at one time.

Pretty much use whatever assists you want in any other game/race type. They completely blew the online with these decisions, the hopper system totally sucks. T10 alienated a lot (most?) of their core sim racing audience in the process.

Jonsoncao

Banned
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/1928486.html

I gotta say I am impressed, though there are many performance issues I encountered during my play(A spec Lv25 B spec Lv32), screen tearing, framerate drastically dropping, menu loading takes forever, texture wont load during start of the race(game installed), I ve yet to see any of those magical bugs in that link

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
-viper- said:
What GT5 does right is fantastic. What it does bad, is really bad.

I'd tolerate GT5's broken GT Life progression design a lot more if the UI and load times weren't so clunky and slow.

Drastic said:
Actually that's pretty close to the truth. They do have (had? I gave up on the online months ago) a "pro" or something "hopper" where some assists weren't allowed, but still allowed ABS and the driving line. They never gave us what most asked for, which was a sim hopper with NO assists.

Pretty much use whatever assists you want in any other game/race type. They completely blew the online with these decisions, the hopper system totally sucks. T10 alienated a lot (most?) of their core sim racing audience in the process.

yeah, biggest problem was separating everything. they tried to give a hopper for every possibility (RI, R2, R3, S, A, B, C, D, E then Drag, Stock Car, Road, then all the varients in there, then Cycled Prod, then Featured) and it was just too hard to find decent races, and everyone ended up just running A class or private rooms.

I mean, i get what they were going for, just too many choices and a splintered community.

Just need to do public user-games like Forza2 and then some kind of Hopper with maybe 3 subgroups (like one with long races/no assists/more restrictions, one arcade with assists available and maybe equalized cars, ond one playground) and go that way.

Iknos

Psychotext said:
I'd forgotten how good the audio is in Forza. I had a quick go on it yesterday, drove into a tunnel... and a HUGE grin spread across my face. :D

Revisiting FM3 after playing GT5 is something I don't recommend.

It is better in many respects that it will ruin GT5 for you. That includes audio.

The same applies the other way around. The unremovable steering assist is plain as day when you try to fool around with the car. The artistic direction that went with a cartoony style sticks out more than ever.

Still have to play with GT5 more but it looks like another area where Forza is better is aerodynamic modeling. Need to buy some more cars and do some more tests. We know Forza 3 even factored in dirty air and I want to see if GT5 does as well.

Iknos said:
Still have to play with GT5 more but it looks like another area where Forza is better is aerodynamic modeling. Need to buy some more cars and do some more tests. We know Forza 3 even factored in dirty air and I want to see if GT5 does as well.
I wouldn't get your hopes up on that if I were you. :lol

...and I say that without placing any great emphasis on the warp factor drafting and pretty much endless length slipstreams

On your other point though... yeah, I can't help feeling that both games sort of spoil each other if you play both.

AlanzTalon said:
yeah, biggest problem was separating everything. they tried to give a hopper for every possibility (RI, R2, R3, S, A, B, C, D, E then Drag, Stock Car, Road, then all the varients in there, then Cycled Prod, then Featured) and it was just too hard to find decent races, and everyone ended up just running A class or private rooms.

I mean, i get what they were going for, just too many choices and a splintered community.

Just need to do public user-games like Forza2 and then some kind of Hopper with maybe 3 subgroups (like one with long races/no assists/more restrictions, one arcade with assists available and maybe equalized cars, ond one playground) and go that way.

It's no win situation for them because there are just way too many option. The worst thing they did was taking out the event hosting feature they were talking about. If I recall there was going to allow people to created and set up event and they would get rated and rank like vinyl and tuning but that feature was never implemented and they stop talking about it all together. They should have just put the public game room back in when they realize they would not be able to implement that. Hopper sound good on paper but there are just too many variable .. unless they just make it simple like Blur where you give choice of tracks and car class to pick from.

Drastic said:

The limited hoppers were so shitty and the unbalanced AWD vehicles dominating didn't help, forza 2 has a better online experience with open user made lobbies and custom rules set.

Shaneus

Iknos said:
Revisiting FM3 after playing GT5 is something I don't recommend.

It is better in many respects that it will ruin GT5 for you. That includes audio.

The same applies the other way around. The unremovable steering assist is plain as day when you try to fool around with the car. The artistic direction that went with a cartoony style sticks out more than ever.

I pretty much have to agree with most of this. I can't speak for sure on the active steering (I can only assume it's really noticeable when using a wheel, though steering definitely just seems "easier") but it just feels more fun and like less of a chore. Artistic direction in-game was definitely bizarre but the rest of the menu system is in contrast with it in that it feels super-clean and minimal.

I've only just discovered (big DUH for me) that you can pretty much race any event in any order, save for the main calendar-based races that are spread over a season (you know the ones I mean). The moment I found out I could take my pimped-out Legacy out in a saloon race I was sucked back in.

PS. Does anyone get really, really pissed off that you have to wade through menus to change oil in GT5? It's something you pretty much need to do every few races, so why have it buried under a few layers (not a lot but it's still a chore) and go through that tedious fucking animation of having the oil changed? Small gripe but fuck me it's grating.

Iknos

Shaneus said:
but it just feels more tame and like less of a white knuckled driving experience.

Fixed to demonstrate my perspective.

PS. Does anyone get really, really pissed off that you have to wade through menus to change oil in GT5?

The entire menu system in GT5 in comparison is rather sluggish but I don't mind the animations at all. In fact I would have applauded them if they took it a step further and you had an actual garage with a dyno and a crew of mechanics.

In the Forza thread someone mentioned Forza 4 needing a lighting upgrade but I think that is only part of it. Check out the FM3 reveal trailer. It has high poly models and ray traced lighting yet it still doesn't look completely realistic.

It has a lot to do with getting a guy who can pick out the right colors for photorealism. I have friends who know this way better than I do and I can try to regurgitate some of the tech terms but I'll leave most of that to the pros. So I'll just say that this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrW215cgMLU

Still doesn't look as realistic as GT5. It looks fantastic and pretty real...but something about the colors still looks off.

Ploid 3.0 said:
You don't have yo change oil often.
You do when you're continuously doing endurance races.

Though some of my biggest annoyances are still that you can't buy parts without backing out all the way to the main screen (so, so stupid) and that you can't save your tuning setups. But I have a list a mile long of all my niggles so maybe it's best I don't get started.:lol

Top Bottom