• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Shaneus

Iknos said:
quotables
All agreed (especially the summation of my point :lol ), but are you referring to the F3 or F4 trailer? I haven't seen the F3 one in donkey's (and YT is blocked at work) but the F4 one (and Forza Kinect) seemed to nail it.

Dead Man said:
I haven't played F3 (no 360), but it seems like both games missed the mark, just in different areas.
If the two could be combined we'd have ourselves a burgeoning new gearhead religious movement.

At the very least we have solid competition from two established developers.

Dead Man

NullPointer said:
If the two could be combined we'd have ourselves a burgeoning new gearhead religious movement.

At the very least we have solid competition from two established developers.
Sign me up for that one! I want to the driving model of and car selection of GT5, the customisation and UI speed of F3, and the ability to design my own race series. Is that too much to ask!? :lol

Dead Man said:
Sign me up for that one! I want to the driving model of and car selection of GT5, the customisation and UI speed of F3, and the ability to design my own race series. Is that too much to ask!? :lol

I'd rather have the car selection of Forza, tbqh.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
les papillons sexuels said:

I'd rather have both. Even mix of Japanese and American/European cars. Perfect 1:1 ratio.

Iknos

Shaneus said:
All agreed (especially the summation of my point :lol ), but are you referring to the F3 or F4 trailer? I haven't seen the F3 one in donkey's (and YT is blocked at work) but the F4 one (and Forza Kinect) seemed to nail it.

I disagree I posted why in the other thread. The reflection is still overdone. They need someone at T10 with an eye for this who can tweak all the variables to perfection. I'd do it myself for free if I was paid for just rent and food even. It's so disappointing to see a great engine go to waste.

les papillons sexuels said:

Yeah I think this is a no brainer for most people but some might have specific tastes and prefer GT5 because it features a good amount of historic cars and some cool prototypes. Also has electric cars too.

amar212

Iknos said:
I disagree I posted why in the other thread. The reflection is still overdone. They need someone at T10 with an eye for this who can tweak all the variables to perfection. .

Oh my, Iknos, we are agreed again. Mark this, fast :D

On the serious side, you're 100% right.

Forza should make some serious tweaks to graphics, in few areas. Readjusting the color palette is first, reflections are second and overall scene lightning is 3rd.

Although the Nurburgring GP remains the best example of lightining in FM3, the light temperature and colors are still too vivid and too "hot".

Also, getting rid of any kind of "post-processing color filters" would do miracles.

In the wider scheme, they should also make a serious readjustment of the POW in both bumper and hood views, make both views take into account the center-of-gravity and readjust the "virtual seating" position in both in order to compensate for left-right seating (and handicap produced by that) as in cockpit view. For the notice, almost every driving game so far failed in that area (bumper and hood are always driven from the central position, like all cars are McLaren F1 for example).

Propper White-Balancing would do for start.

Dead Man

Iknos said:
Yeah I think this is a no brainer for most people but some might have specific tastes and prefer GT5 because it features a good amount of historic cars and some cool prototypes. Also has electric cars too.
Yeah, the GT5 selection seem more balanced to my tastes, even though i would love more American and Euro cars, and more classic muscle cars too.

eso76

Iknos said:
I disagree I posted why in the other thread. The reflection is still overdone. They need someone at T10 with an eye for this who can tweak all the variables to perfection. I'd do it myself for free if I was paid for just rent and food even. It's so disappointing to see a great engine go to waste.

There's a lot more work into reflections though, it's not just a matter of quantity.
Games lately started using some sort of "fresnel" (makes materials more or less 'reflective' according to incidence angle of your point of view) and fm3 does too, but it needs tweaking.
But it's not just that: HDR reflections. I am not sure this, or an aproximation of this, can be done in realtime, but it sure looks like it in GT5 (or even dirt 2 actually) so there's probably some trick to obtain the same result.
Basically, how clearly an object is reflected on a car depends on the amount of light coming from it versus the amount of light hitting the car. Stuff 'darker' than the car (or any other slightly reflective material in fact) won't be reflected on it, brighter stuff will; the brighter, the more clearly. Fm3 also seems to ignore the fact that a blue sky is very luminous and should reflect on cars all the time and give a strong tint to them.
Plus cars in Fm3 seem to receive almost no ambient light. You get some kind of spotlight for the sun, but that's very 'directional' and stuff not directly lit by it is almost completely in the dark. More ambient light, and of the right colour according to weather and time of the day. They should probably map a few different light sources all around using skydome colours.

In addition to that, i'm pretty sure GT5 features some kind of pre baked occlusion on cars, i don't know, cars in fm3 look so flat at times.

Necro-fanboy-willywaving-pixelcounting-smoothdriving-bump

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-24-forza-4-has-500-cars-10x-better-looks

Let battle commence!

/shitstirring

For our can't-be-bothered-to-click-the-link bretheren.

Eurogamer.net said:
Xbox 360 racing game Forza Motorsport 4 will pack a garage of 500 cars made by a selection of 80 manufacturers.

PS3 rival Gran Turismo 5 famously launched with 1031 cars.

But in Forza Motorsport 4 "each car will be like its own mini-level and after your tour you can take it out on the track", boasted a marketing survey that landed in Kotaku's lap.

That "automotive world tour" will be part of the career mode, apparently.

The show-room section, navigable using Kinect, teaches you about the cars and their manufacturers. You'll be educated by the boisterous voice of Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarskon.

The survey went on to describe Forza Motorsport 4 as the "best looking game of the year with graphic fidelity 10 times better than the previous version, including new lighting and shading models".

Participants were also asked to rate how much they'd like to see an open world Forza Motorsport game, which would allow drivers the freedom of the open-road rather than race tracks with perimeters.

Forza 4 is on the autumn 2011 release-grid. We heard in February how the game will feature a raft of intricate tuning options. We also know that people with Kinect will be able to lean from side to side to alter their racing view, peering around corners for a better look at the road ahead.

Special J

Banned
saladine1 said:
While we're here, which haz teh betta grafix, GT5 or FM3?
Fanks.

i think the consensus is that gt5 premium cars typically look better than forza, the lighting is more realistic on gt5 as well but has a high degree of screen tearing.

but forza has much better environmental detail, especially shadows, much better framerate stability, and none of that half resolution alpha crap.

i personally think forza is a better package since its consistency.

LiquidMetal14 said:

Failed attempt to bump back up! oh wait (Damn). BTW when i was a lurker around here, a user said he was going to do an in-depth analysis of both games (Iknos if i remember correctly). where the hell is he? did he run away?

(I probably will fail miserably, but i just wanted to ask the question)

m0dus

Banned
Special J said:
i think the consensus is that gt5 premium cars typically look better than forza, the lighting is more realistic on gt5 as well but has a high degree of screen tearing.

but forza has much better environmental detail, especially shadows, much better framerate stability, and none of that half resolution alpha crap.

i personally think forza is a better package since its consistency.

What manner of brazen, wreckless, unmitigated and foul common sense is this? You won't last in THIS thread, bucko. Not long at all!!

Shaneus

When I saw this bumped, I half expected there to be a comparison between the "You are signed in to Xbox LIVE" and "You have been signed out of the Playstation Network" messages.

Atomski

Shaneus said:
When I saw this bumped, I half expected there to be a comparison between the "You are signed in to Xbox LIVE" and "You have been signed out of the Playstation Network" messages.
Haha

But seriously I thought this was locked forever ago.

benzy

forza3s2kuypq.gif

gt5s2k2qx0i.gif

After playing both games forever now, I just can't go back to Forza 3, even though it shines in a great many areas.

Its the driving feel, crisp visuals and sense of speed in GT5 that has made it the crowned and glorious king of racing sims for me. I'm still pumped to see how Forza 4 turns out though.

GT5:
5936331457_6840c7c2f2_b.jpg

5957918081_c618451a58_z.jpg

FM4:

I just think it's awesome that Turn 10 has finally reached (or close to) GT5's premium level of greatness. btw those shots are not mine.

*watches as thread drops back to the abyss*

Frankfurt said:
Chose some shitty F4 pictures there.

Still, comparing a game that is out to one that isn't is just plain weird.

Those F4 pictures were released by Turn 10 themselves (with maybe a little touch-up), the GT5 picture is from the "Realistic looking pictures" thread in gtplanet (Sub-forum: Photomode)

adelante

That Lexus! :O Don't really like the look of that Merc photo...but those F4 shots are (still) freakin impressive. I love how the desaturated blues match the general dull lighting; Turn10 made a great choice by implementing IBL. Most people make the mistake of thinking a photo of such exposure and clarity doesn't exist (therefore automatically not realistic) but they do, despite not being common.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Those F4 pictures were released by Turn 10 themselves (with maybe a little touch-up), the GT5 picture is from the "Realistic looking pictures" thread in gtplanet (Sub-forum: Photomode)
Unless you can play the game in lomography/vintage color settings, it should be pointed out that the Lexus photo is essentially "touched up" as well. It's amazing how much more realistic a game looks with a simple color grading technique (see GTA4 IcEnhancer epic thread)

adelante said:
That Lexus! :O Don't really like the look of that Merc photo...but those F4 shots are (still) freakin impressive. I love how the desaturated blues match the general dull lighting; Turn10 made a great choice by implementing IBL. Most people make the mistake of thinking a photo of such exposure and clarity doesn't exist (therefore automatically not realistic) but they do, despite not being common.

Unless you can play the game in lomography/vintage color settings, it should be pointed out that the Lexus photo is essentially "touched up" as well. It's amazing how much more realistic a game looks with a simple color grading technique (see GTA4 IcEnhancer epic thread)

And you are correct.

EDIT: i found this to be quite funny
2my9pwy.jpg

Niks

Back from the dead I see...

Frankfurt said:
Still, comparing a game that is out to one that isn't is just plain weird.

My irony detectors are all over the place. Hmm.. maybe its a strong case of deja vu?
lol

Anyways who is going to make the proverbial Forza 4 vs GT5 thread?

G Rom

Necrobump indeed !
Thread title should be renamed at this point ! :lol

The LFA is definitely touched up and I'm fairly sure that the colors in the SLR pics are too.

I wonder what's the LTD for FM3 actually. The leaderboard is above 4M so it should easily be at more than 5M. Still very far from GT's sales but still pretty significant.
Also, picture needs more translator guy. :p

AZ Greg said:

Absolute crap. And if like most people you have only wireless controllers for the 360 you'd have to get a wired one so you're looking at about $120 or so with shipping.

I did a lot of research and watched a few videos because I have the Carrera wheel, but then just said fuck it and got the GT2 (which is an amazing wheel BTW).

Top Bottom