• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Salacious Crumb

A new challenger appears.

ahvqK.jpg

KOfiy.jpg

And because it's a PC game it'll actually have that level of IQ in game, not just in photo mode :D

G Rom

Salacious Crumb said:
A new challenger appears.

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/ahvqK.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/KOfiy.jpg[/IMG]

And because it's a PC game it'll actually have that level of IQ in game, not just in photo mode :D

Meh :

5974492619_1c534d8c2d_o.png

5974491383_f534487023_o.png

5975052378_d174e6455c_o.png

trollface.jpg

That Lotus looks so good, I wish Forza and GT had old F1s, especially with AV now... :(

I hope to fucking god that in GT6 we can open the doors and look into the cars in photomode.

there is so much detail you just dont see in GT5 unless you jimmy the camera and clip through the car.

That being said I am really impressed with Forza 4 stuff. will probably end up re buying a 360 for it when I get a new TV but from gameplay vids Forza 4 still has that over saturated look of past games and that makes me a sad panda.

Am I safe here saying now I've put some time into the Forza 4 demo I still think GT5 is a more convincing drive?

I doubt it's anything to do with the sloppy ffb and I'll still get it anyway but the game does play a hell of a lot like Forza 3, some ways that's good and in other ways a bit sad.

Personally I was hoping for an all new 'feel' to it all.

Man those are terrible shots for both games. Just look at the artifacts and the aliasing on the HUDs...

If you're gonna do a comparison, do it right.

h3ro

Damn it. I saw the GT Monza pic and got excited that F4 had Monza as well. Blah.

Also, those captures aren't really very good. Both games look much better.

amar212

In exactly 6 days this thread will become glorious.

And in 13 days from today one will need an 10Mbs flatrate connection to make out of "100 posts per page" alive.

Satchel

Banned
I played the Forza 4 demo last night, and in no way does it look as bad as those shots. What the fuck did he do to make them look that bad?

Not that the Gran Turismo ones reflect how the game looks either.

I've played both now, and while I'd give Forza 4 the edge by a bee's dick, NEITHER game looks as bad as those shots.

Holy fuck, is that poster sure he didn't use Forza 1 and Gran Turismo 3 shots?

commedieu

Banned
I just can't wait for Forza fanboyz to try and divide by zero.

1. 2d trees.

F3 had horrible lighting, yet this thread lived on for this long due to the flat out lie, that it looked just as good, if not better, than GT5. F4 comes out with IBL, and all of a sudden people can see what the hell it means to light a render, as you would in real life. Yet, couldn't be seen for GT5. Turn10 did a good job only problems, the cars shaders are still lacking & the driver is ambiently lit all the time. Also, GT still takes the cake for ingame & photomode detail.

All in All, F4 & GT5 is a good comparison, visually. Feature wise, F still has perm assists on, and outside of Autovista, theres not much new to compare is there? Turn10 finally took notes and caught up to GT as far as having more than 3 cars on a grid.

Not much boasting/flat out lying/bribing forum goers/trolling by msft/turn10 this time. So good show for all parties.

funkystudent said:
I like Forza's simple hud more.

GT5 has alot of shit on screen but I would turn alot of it off given the chance.

o_O You can turn it off.

Satchel said:
I played the Forza 4 demo last night, and in no way does it look as bad as those shots. What the fuck did he do to make them look that bad?

Not that the Gran Turismo ones reflect how the game looks either.

I've played both now, and while I'd give Forza 4 the edge by a bee's dick, NEITHER game looks as bad as those shots.

Holy fuck, is that poster sure he didn't use Forza 1 and Gran Turismo 3 shots?

Thats how games look, output from your laughable consoles.

I dont want to turn all the hud off.... just some of it... like the list of racers names and the tire grip and fuel level stuff.

the forza hud has the amount of info I want to know in a race and it doesnt clutter the screen up as much as the GT one.

Kolgar

It's baa-aaaack!

I don't have a dog in this race, because I've bought and played both series' games in the past. After experiencing the Forza 4 demo this week, I have to say--Turn 10 made great strides, but GT5 is still the graphics king from what I've seen so far.

I am especially impressed by the environments in Forza 4. The camera views by the water's edge, complete with swaying reeds, made my jaw drop. But there's the trade-off: the cars themselves don't look quite as real.

Some of it is the godly lighting in GT5, and the fact that Forza has in all of its 360 iterations suffered from slight buzzing around the edges of some of the polygons.

But they're both beautiful games, and as with Forza 3 vs. GT5, each game still has its strong points and both are well worth playing.

Now, let the insanity begin!

eso76

drugstore_cowboy said:
Am I safe here saying now I've put some time into the Forza 4 demo I still think GT5 is a more convincing drive?

I doubt it's anything to do with the sloppy ffb and I'll still get it anyway but the game does play a hell of a lot like Forza 3, some ways that's good and in other ways a bit sad.

Personally I was hoping for an all new 'feel' to it all.

it does have a completely new feel. Muscle cars and awd feel like a completely different game from fm3. Using a 900° wheel at least, the game plays absolutely nothing like its prequel.
I think GT5 is still better at a few things, but forza 4 feels very solid and consistent.
I also think ffb is better implemented.

As far as looks go...trust me when i say
1) you REALLY need to ADJUST BRIGHTNESS when the game prompts you to.
Be generous, crank it a couple stops higher.
2) saturation on your tv down 5%.
3) alps track from fm4 demo is by far the most colourful, arcade looking track in fm4. Watch a replay on Sunset peninsula, Road America or nordschleife, or actually, any other track. You'll very often get that typical 'omg is this real ?' GT5 feeling.
Sucks for iq, but there's only so much you can do about it this gen.

tusken77

funkystudent said:
I dont want to turn all the hud off.... just some of it... like the list of racers names and the tire grip and fuel level stuff.

the forza hud has the amount of info I want to know in a race and it doesnt clutter the screen up as much as the GT one.

In GT5 you can turn the map off, the instruments off or clear the screen completely.

I just finished playing them both back to back, there's not an awful lot in it, I prefer the more precise feeling of GT5, Forza's 458 feels like it's tyres have been slashed in comparison and I find Forza more unforgiving in a slide, so much for an assist if you can call it that.

As far as graphics go, GT aims for realism in colour and contrast, Forza goes for flashy effects, I love the glint of sunlight from the cars but hate the glare and contrast on the road.

eso76 said:
it does have a completely new feel. Muscle cars and awd feel like a completely different game from fm3. Using a 900° wheel at least, the game plays absolutely nothing like its prequel.
I think GT5 is still better at a few things, but forza 4 feels very solid and consistent.
I also think ffb is better implemented.

I take back most of what I said, after changing the wheel settings it felt much better in that respect, ffb is far nicer than Forza 3's.

If GT5 had a locked framerate, faster load and a completely different user interface, I would still own it.

The whole game was an exercise in frustration. You start off fighting your way through the menu's (and not winning), to then being encumbered with long load times all over the place. Then when you're finally racing, you'll get a nicely mixed bag of visuals with a dash of framerate drops and tearing.

No thanks.

eso76

Xun said:
Those shots don't do either game justice at all.

Both games are equally as impressive.

i am afraid they are rather close to actual consoles' outputs though.

I am happy i don't play my games on a pc monitor sitting a few inches from my nose

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hardcore narrow road vs casual/noob/Kinect friendly extra large road (same track):

7HnHn.jpg

Forza will always be a great arcade racer, nothing more, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Also Forza has 30 fps rearview mirrors. lololol

Top Bottom