• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Vorg

Banned
Aguirre said:
several thousand posts later, what's the verdict? gt5/forza3?

There is none possible. People will continue to argue about what is essentially the same game just because it's on a different platform.

Polyphony

I really like the look of Laguna Seca in Forza 4. Turn 10 really stepped it up with their newest iteration. Both games have their strong and weak points. Everybody should enjoy the games that they can afford.

Nitpicking: I wonder why the hand positioning in Forza hasn't been fixed yet. I've never seen anybody hold a wheel like that, and I don't think it would take long to correct this.

commedieu

Banned
op_ivy said:
you are loling @ that subaru pic!? really? i wasnt even posting it to "compete" with the gt5 pic, just to compliment it by saying they both look OUTSTANDING.

but to shrug it off with a wall of pics is stupid. it does look outstanding, nearing photorealistic. at least as good as anything on consoles, period.

We are in the VS thread. Snap out of it.

F4 looks close to GT5, I agree.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
commedieu said:
We are in the VS thread. Snap out of it.

F4 looks close to GT5, I agree.

i get it, no sense in trying to bring sense to it then.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This thread is the incrediblest thread in the history of VSgaf.

Thank goodness I haven't been paying attention in a long while I would have gone bald by now if I stayed in here.

op_ivy said:
and

24799ubh.jpg
3D rendered environment vs a high res picture to be used for Image Based Lighting with a really nice textured floor.

Great comparison.

PSYGN

For me, one of the things that amazed me graphically in GT5 were the rainy night racing scenes and the snow rally course. It was so beautifully realistic. Now keep in mind these were scenes from the trailer so I don't know if it looked as polished as it did in the actual game (I don't own a PS3), but it was a tasty treat for the eyes.

Forza 4 is a great step up graphically from Forza 3. It looks a lot more realistic and some of the gallery shots or whatever can be confused with an actual photo. That's saying something :)

But comparing the whole package graphically (and the little bit we've seen from Forza 4), I think GT5 has the edge, but Forza 4 is closing in.

No weather/night was confirmed here http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/underthehood2/

PSYGN said:
For me, one of the things that amazed me graphically in GT5 were the rainy night racing scenes and the snow rally course. It was so beautifully realistic. Now keep in mind these were scenes from the trailer so I don't know if it looked as polished as it did in the actual game (I don't own a PS3), but it was a tasty treat for the eyes.
Unfortunately it wasn't. There was a ton of pixelization in the weather effects.

Xun

Dibbz said:
Not sure if you're agreeing or not but yeah Forza is like twice as wide which is a huge deal for the Ring. Oh and the camber and elevation change is way off on Forza.
I was joking.

The difference is not even worth talking about in my opinion.

Ploid 3.0

nib95 said:
Are these real comparison shots? Honestly speaking I thought F4 would look a lot better than GT5 but based on these shots it seems GT5 still comfortably takes the lead.

I was going to talk about some of GT5's standard tracks as a negative, but from the shots above, both games apparently have their rough spots.

Also, I think GT5 nails materials and colours better, such as the matt finish of the Zonda R, F50 Red and the off white of the 350Z.

I really didn't follow the whole forza 4 thing much. I saw the pictures that che said was real time and expected the game to look like it as their goal. These pictures look more like forza 3 ish rather than the door opening pictures. Interesting. Also since I got a gaming PC where da pc racing games, though I'd probably have to upgrade again.

Looking forward to the GT5 update, and Forza 4 launch for the forza fans.

shinnn said:
HA-HA-HA

[]http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/gran-turismo-5-spec-2-screenshots6.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/gran-turismo-5-spec-2-screenshots4.jpg[/IMG]

See how glassy those floors are?

saladine1

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Is that a challenge Saladine? cause am ready lol. Got to have mercy on the 56kers
No challenge. Merely pointing out that FM4 looks amazing. I still believe that GT5 has something about it that gives it the edge but FM4 is by no means a slouch.

commedieu

Banned
lol didn't notice the car in front of the hummer.

Yep, F4 definitely stepped up to GT5's level. FM3 however, is hilariously dated and underwhelming. I'm just glad 4 casts light on this fact. And the fact that everyone here claiming FM3 to be visually superior to GT5 was flat out lying with their eyes.

saladine1 said:
No challenge. Merely pointing out that FM4 looks amazing. I still believe that GT5 has something about it that gives it the edge but FM4 is by no means a slouch.

No sir, FM has come a long way. I hope Turn 10 keep improving the game, competition is good for us consumers.

belvedere

Junior Butler
One of these days T10 will figure out appropriate lighting.

FM4 is a big step in the right direction, but the lighting still looks way wrong.

Maybe FM5 will look like GT5.

commedieu

Banned
belvedere said:
One of these days T10 will figure out appropriate lighting.

FM4 is a big step in the right direction, but the lighting still looks way wrong.

Maybe FM5 will look like GT5.

Turn10 nailed the lighting. Wasn't that hard, considering its just image based.

The shaders are what separates GT's images & Forza's. The Car Paint/Chrome/Plastic/etc, all looks like well, just not there.

Edit:

Also, FM4's issue is the cockpit & Driver... he always stands out. I think its his helmet/visor surface. Just look so flat.

kneePat

in this thread:

BruiserBear said:
I'm buying Forza 4 day one.

GT5 is still a much more attractive game.

later the same poster

BruiserBear said:
saladine1 said:
There's no doubting that FM4 has stepped up.
It most certainly has. Some of those shots are awesome.

But during gameplay GT5's still got it beat.

Problem is the pictures don't lie about the 'attractiveness' of Forza over GT5 to the general masses (from what we've seen of the Presentation and Polish, Forza is miles ahead), but we haven't touched the gameplay so the statement is premature. BUT reviews coming in are saying that both these quotes aren't very true anymore and Forza has surpassed GT5 in many ways but most importantly in terms of pure passion for cars and racing.

And the GT5 loyalists so prevalent in this thread should at least move across the aisle and try out Forza because at the end of the day the winner is the consumer when two games keep trying to one up each other. My first experience with racing sims was with Gran Turismo (which I loved) and for some reason each iteration has felt like a downgrade over the previous one recently whereas Forza has been just the opposite.

eso76

But during gameplay GT5's still got it beat.

It has better hands animation, other than that i always thought GT5 looked quite bad during actual gameplay. Even very bad at times. Now REPLAYS are a completely different thing.

Mush

kneePat said:
And the GT5 loyalists so prevalent in this thread should at-least move across the aisle and try out Forza because at the end of the day the winner is the consumer when two games keep trying to one up each other. My first experience with racing sims was with Gran Turismo (which I loved) and for some reason each iteration has felt like a downgrade over the previous one recently whereas Forza has been just the opposite.
I have no problem with Forza. I would happily play both if it meant I could use my wheel and not have to purchase a separate one just for one game.

eso76

chubigans said:
Also Forza has 30 fps rearview mirrors. lololol

yeah, GT is better because it has 20/30/45/50/60. More variety man !
And not just on mirrors. On the main screen ! Take this Forza !

Zeppelin

GT5 seem to me as a much more uneven product. But seriously, when it's at its best Forza has nothing on it in terms of graphics (replays that is). Some shots from GT5 just looks real (but a bit too clean, sure), something I've never felt about a Forza shot. Even with all its fancy image based lighting it still looks cartoonish to me. That said, at its worst, GT5 is a fucking joke.

Top Bottom