• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Angst said:
VkyAx.jpg

2D trees looks better than 3D trees confirmed?

Also - why are the GT5 screencaps done with a 720P card? The jaggies look horrible...

Is the Ring a fair amount wider on that Forza 4 shot???

Dr Frasier Crane said:
Might be the different camera angles and FOV exaggerrating that, but there's no doubt that the Forza 'Ring is just incredibly inaccurate all round.

I think the forza 'ring is using pgr2's base model still, while it might change in visuals the corners are all the same and out of date, among wrong in areas.

Wazzim

Banned
From playing the demo I would say F4 looks better then GT but I didn't play GT since the end of the summer so I am not sure.

Wazzim said:
From playing the demo I would say F4 looks better then GT but I didn't play GT since the end of the summer so I am not sure.

I also think that Forza looks better than GT5 in game but not in replays or photo mode. Weird.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Fortinbras said:
I also think that Forza looks better than GT5 in game but not in replays or photo mode. Weird.

What that means is "during gameplay" and of course we all know it does, there's so much detail all around.

replays/photomode made a big jump this time in the Forza franchise, great improvement specially in the in game photomode, the new replay cameras are very nice.

Lothars

Pepto said:
Even Forza 3 was better than GT5.
I disagree Forza 3 was good but I sitll think GT5 was superior to it in many ways and Forza 4 will be a better game than Forza 3 but I don't think it will be better than GT5.

Aguirre

Slayer-33 said:
What that means is "during gameplay" and of course we all know it does, there's so much detail all around.

replays/photomode made a big jump this time in the Forza franchise, great improvement specially in the in game photomode, the new replay cameras are very nice.
i dont know, still think gt5 has the edge. forza 4 is a welcome improvement and i do concede the sound (not the music though!!) such as tyres screeching, bumpers banging together, engines revving, is superior in forza 4.

Snubbers

Dr Frasier Crane said:

A quick photoshop later..

6ezAB.jpg

GT5 ~3.9 car widths
FM4 ~4.5 car widths

10-15% Wider??

FM4 is slightly further back on the track, but I think it's close enough for a quick appraisal!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Aguirre said:
i dont know, still think gt5 has the edge. forza 4 is a welcome improvement and i do concede the sound (not the music though!!) such as tyres screeching, bumpers banging together, engines revving, is superior in forza 4.

Oh I didn't mean the photomode/replay is better than GT just saying FM improved there a lot specially in photomode.

During gameplay I think FM looks better.

Snubbers said:
A quick photoshop later..

FM4 is slightly further back on the track, but I think it's close enough for a quick appraisal!

The FM car is smaller so it's not really accurate to compare vs the GT car.

Aguirre

Slayer-33 said:
Those pictures might not really show the big difference between the game tbh ^

FM 4 looks much much better than 3.
i think it shows the improved aa. look at the pylons in the last picture.

Snubbers said:
GT5 ~3.9 car widths
FM4 ~4.5 car widths

10-15% Wider??

Aren't the chase cams at different distances, making one car 'larger'?

Slayer-33 said:
Is the NDA completely lifted for FM4 green disc?

I wanna show you guys Nurb :p I got videos.

Reviews are out, so yes, show the vids! (do it in the official thread to though)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Foliorum Viridum said:
The real thing those pictures highlight is how ugly console games are.

I swear that it doesn't even look close to as bad as those picture makes both games look man lol.

FM 4 looks beautiful on an HDTV, even better than my LCD LED 23" monitor (I got a 46" Bravia)

Aguirre said:
Ej9SJ.jpg

:p do it (if you're allowed ofc)

I got a DBR 9 to show off, you guys would salivate over dat engine.

Snubbers

flyinpiranha said:
Aren't the chase cams at different distances, making one car 'larger'?
Going by bumper width, and aligning correctly should negate any major FOV discrepencies.

I did give a margin of 10-15% that covers a little, it's still much less then I was expecting after seeing various complaints (ranging from 50-100% wider)..

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Snubbers said:
Going by bumper width, and aligning correctly should negate any major FOV discrepencies.

I did give a margin of 10-15% that covers a little, it's still much less then I was expecting after seeing various complaints (ranging from 50-100% wider)..

It's a good comparisons in terms of checking accuracy but the cars are not the same size, GT car is bigger so it makes the track look smaller when you do your shop. See if you can blow up the FM car to the same size and then do the comparison.

saladine1

Slayer-33 said:
I swear that it doesn't even look close to as bad as those picture makes both games look man lol.

FM 4 looks beautiful on an HDTV, even better than my LCD LED 23" monitor (I got a 46" Bravia)

I got a DBR 9 to show off, you guys would salivate over dat engine.
Slayer, post them in the other thread mate.
Get cracking son!

Snubbers

Pazuzu9 said:
The width really isn't the main issue with Forza's 'Ring.

I know.. but I was wondering how far out it is, there is a youtube video of a ferrari Fxx (I think) that has them overlaid in cockpit view, and even that looked much closer then I was expecting..

I've heard loads of complaints that suggest it's so different, it's like trying to pass of Laguna Seca as Silverstone... I just thought I'd have a look myself..

p3tran

Banned
Wazzim said:
well I've been switching channels to GT5-F3-F4 demo for the past few days..
I think your memory does not deceive you 8p

Snubbers

Slayer-33 said:
It's a good comparisons in terms of checking accuracy but the cars are not the same size, GT car is bigger so it makes the track look smaller when you do your shop. See if you can blow up the FM car to the same size and then do the comparison.

Then I'd have to blow up the track as well?, I'm sure taking a horizontal reference line and the widest point of the car is good enough for an approximate conclusion..

I'm not 100% on it of course.. but I am pretty confident it's within the realms of 'OK' ;)

Slayer-33 said:
This is why they don't like releasing direct feed gameplay screens. The games do look like this, but your eyes are fooled into thinking they look better when they're in motion.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Pazuzu9 said:
This is why they don't like releasing direct feed gameplay screens. The games do look like this, but your eyes are fooled into thinking they look better when they're in motion.

I guess it's because the AA is not kicking in on direct caps + moving image yep.

Goldrusher

Pazuzu9 said:
The width really isn't the main issue with Forza's 'Ring.

It is also completely outdated when it comes to the surroundings, grand stands, barriers, etc.
So even if the track was accurate - which it isn't - they also haven't updated the surroundings since 2006 at the latest. I never understood why they didn't update it for Forza 3 and it's a disgrace they didn't for Forza 4:

- 5 years of complaints about the length, width, elevation, bumps and scenery
- in 2007 the track got a makeover, which included a ton of new buildings, grand stands and even a roller coaster alongside the start-finish straight
- in 2010 Polyphony made a brand new recreation of the track, by far the most accurate in any game ever

Turn 10 responded by including the ancient Forza 2 track once again.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Pazuzu9 said:

I think you also have take into account the video processing options that are enabled in many televisions, most of us are viewing these screen caps on LCD monitors that don't really flatter the images but transfer that to your TV and things can look quite different (improved).

Slayer-33 said:
I guess it's because the AA is not kicking in on direct caps + moving image yep.
Those shots have AA. Some of the clarity is lost due to jpeg compression, but it's all down to the fact you never see one of these images for more than 1/60th of a second.

benzy

Pazuzu9 said:

There are other direct-feed grabs for both games that look better than those imgur comparison pics though.

5199144040_abd81a8e97_o.jpg

5193684216_dde2cd034b_o.jpg

201110022011051158al.jpg

2011100220103709rjk1.jpg

I don't see much difference. Slightly less compression perhaps. The GT5 ones you just picked are dark, concealing much of the image quality, and the F4 ones are simply a better looking location.

LiK

Lookin' forward to side by side video comparisons in HD. I always like seeing the difference in tracks rather than the cars.

p3tran said:
Great pics! Very jealous. The two most glaring visual errors on Forza's ring are immediately apparent in those photos. The white lines on either side are mostly right on the edge of the track, whereas Forza's has an extra bit of track on the outside of the lines all the way round, and the track is a much darker grey than what you see in Forza.

KKRT00 said:
Normally i could agree, but You liked Diablo 3 graphics, so You're disqualified to judge ;p
Did I?

Considering I have no interest in Diablo 3 I think you might be mixing me up with someone else. I honestly can't remember commenting on D3 graphics. I've only seen the Giant Bomb quick look of it!

Top Bottom