• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

kneePat said:
And the GT5 loyalists so prevalent in this thread should at least move across the aisle and try out Forza because at the end of the day the winner is the consumer when two games keep trying to one up each other. My first experience with racing sims was with Gran Turismo (which I loved) and for some reason each iteration has felt like a downgrade over the previous one recently whereas Forza has been just the opposite.
I've always thought this, however getting people down from their high GT horses will be impossible. The world they see just has GT and a PS3 in it :(

p3tran

Banned
somebody better change the subject line to
Official Forza vs Gran Turismo PHOTOMODE Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

'cause thats the only place where gt is competition to forza.
in all other areas its no competition since forza1

and dats the truth
;P

ResidentDante said:
I've always thought this, however getting people down from their high GT horses will be impossible. The world they see just has GT and a PS3 in it :(

Nah not always, you know I play a shit ton of Gears for example, yet I'm a GT fan and I simply don't like Forza even if I really try to.

Some people are like that though, but not only with GT and Forza, it also happens with Gears and Uncharted, Gears and Resistance... Some people don't like videogames, they like videogame companies :/

Risk Breaker said:
Nah not always, you know I play a shit ton of Gears for example, yet I'm a GT fan and I simply don't like Forza even if I really try to.

Some people are like that though, but not only with GT and Forza, it also happens with Gears and Uncharted, Gears and Resistance... Some people don't like videogames, they like videogame companies :/
Sadly yes :(

I guess you're right, in the end they just look on the logo of the company and hate/love it. Any racing fan should own both GT5 and FM3/FM4. Tons of racing fun in each title, ups and downs of ideas in both too.

dejay

Banned
God - I thought this thread long gone.

Here's some screen shots I just took to throw some fuel onto the fire...because that's all this thread is good for.

uzrxk.jpg

lGG5o.jpg

Remember folks - concede nothing!

eso76

dejay said:
God - I thought this thread long gone.

Here's some screen shots I just took to throw some fuel onto the fire...because that's all this thread is good for.

uzrxk.jpg

lGG5o.jpg

Remember folks - concede nothing!

Which reminds us reviews for GT5 were bullcrap.
You can't penalize the game THAT MUCH for being unpolished and disappointing in regards to the time it took to develop.
If you're stubborn enough to keep attaching numbers to reviews then you're only doing a disservice to your readers by making GT5 appear like a semidecent game, while it certainly was a milestone.

Shaneus

shinnn said:
HA-HA-HA

http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/gran-turismo-5-spec-2-screenshots6.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Something looks quite wrong in that pic... like something happened with the lighting. I don't know whether it's compression or whatever, but everything looks like it was just pasted on top of each other, a la Megarace:
[img]http://images.wikia.com/egamia/images/a/a7/Megarace_ingame.png
It's a crude and exaggerated comparison, but that's the first thing that popped into my head.

I'm also a little disappointed with how PD tackled the in-car view for standards. I was expecting something basic but christ... not a complete void of anything. It's like you're driving in a black hole. Judging by that one screen, at least.

Sort of on the fence about the photo modes for each game, too... it seems like it's easier to get a better photo-realistic shot in FM4 but when they're done right in GT5, PD just seem to have the edge. Make no mistake though, Turn 10 have lifted their game hardcore. In game, IMO it looks a lot better, too.

I was almost going to post this response in the latest GT5 patch thread, but knew better and decided to mention it here:
patsu said:
I'm sure if Gran Turismo is not there, console racing games -- including the entire Forza series -- would not be challenged as hard.
GT *wasn't* there. And when it was, it still felt like it needed dev time to clean it up... that's only just happened almost a year after it came out.

Angst

VkyAx.jpg

2D trees looks better than 3D trees confirmed?

Also - why are the GT5 screencaps done with a 720P card? The jaggies look horrible...

Snubbers

eso76 said:
You can't penalize the game THAT MUCH for being unpolished and disappointing in regards to the time it took to develop.
If you're stubborn enough to keep attaching numbers to reviews then you're only doing a disservice to your readers by making GT5 appear like a semidecent game, while it certainly was a milestone.

This is what happens when you have a game with unsurpassed highs coupled with unsurpassed lows..

Isn't it defence 101 to discredit reviews that you don't personally agree with?

And yes, I'm just messin' with ya..

I find it hard to come down on either side of the fence, but I have a preference, it's like I have one leg resting on the ground on one side (FM), but still have the other leg dangling over the otherside (GT)..

Hyoushi

eso76 said:
Sure you can. It's about as legitimate as a complaint can get.

panty

op_ivy said:
op_ivy said:
but to shrug it off with a wall of pics is stupid. it does look outstanding, nearing photorealistic. at least as good as anything on consoles, period.
Okay I have to take part in this as I almost commented in the Forza thread but I didn't want to derail the thread.

What's the deal with that Subaru? It doesn't look _that_ good. The overall lighting and car model is good but the backlights and rims are awful and that is near photorealistic? LOL. I've seen better Forza 4 screenshots.

Forza 4 does look good but cmon, do I need to post some GT5 photos? Seriously, and this isn't even my Sony-fanboy speaking.

Also the fact that certain car models are wrong is a huge thing in my books. This is a car racing game and they fuck up the models, and then some of you are okay with this?

Izayoi said:
:lol

Photomode shots, while pretty, are useless. Why these threads always consist of almost nothing but photomode shots has always made me scratch my head.
I've probably spent more time in photomode than racing in GT5/F3.

Izayoi

Banned
PantyPhantom said:
Seriously, and this isn't even my Sony-fanboy speaking.

Photomode shots, while pretty, are useless. Why these threads always consist of almost nothing but photomode shots has always made me scratch my head.

p3tran

Banned
Izayoi said:

read my previous post and you got your answer :)

hsukardi

saladine1 said:
Yeah, I went nuts. There's no doubting that FM4 has stepped up.

Stepped up from what?

How can there be so many FZ3 >= GT5 posts but then FZ4 has now "stepped up" to be closer to GT5?

Angst

Izayoi said:
Nice re-compressed image there bro.
Hum, I thought imgur didn't compress when you used the paid version. Original shots looked pretty bad (see previous page).

Anyway, my point was that oft laughed at 2D trees actually looks better than the 3D trees.

h3ro

Sucks that all you guys can't be awesome and sink hundreds of hours into both, like I have and will continue to do so. These games are equal. But different.

Equal. But Different.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I'm so glad how FM4 turned out. (I have a review copy)

Theres a huge leap gameplaywise over 3, great leap graphically and very VERY impressive leap in the sound department, despite some flaws in the modeling of some vehicles and lighting on tires I don't see how some people can keep hating on the franchise.

Give the damn demo an honest try and hop on the Zonda to do the rivals mode, I doubt you will walk away unimpressed.

FM4 is an excellent racing experience top to bottom.

Look at how we are getting Spec II from kaz, this is what needs to continue to happen. Competition is awesome.. We end up winning.

Angst

h3ro said:
Sucks that all you guys can't be awesome and sink hundreds of hours into both, like I have and will continue to do so. These games are equal. But different.

Equal. But Different.
I would if I had a 360. Joke posts aside F4 seems to be a really good game and I've said as much in the F4 threads.

Slayer-33 said:
I'm so glad how FM4 turned out. (I have a review copy)

Theres a huge leap gameplaywise over 3, great leap graphically and very VERY impressive leap in the sound department, despite some flaws in the modeling of some vehicles and lighting on tires I don't see how some people can keep hating on the franchise.

Give the damn demo an honest try and hop on the Zonda to do the rivals mode, I doubt you will walk away unimpressed.

FM4 is an excellent racing experience top to bottom.

Look at how we are getting Spec II from kaz, this is what needs to continue to happen. Competition is awesome.. We end up winning.
Post full of win.

But perhaps we wouldn't have any competition between the franchises if it weren't for the fanboy bickering? :)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Angst said:
I would if I had a 360. Joke posts aside F4 seems to be a really good game and I've said as much in the F4 threads.

Post full of win.

But perhaps we wouldn't have any competition between the franchises if it weren't for the fanboy bickering? :)
I know the feel bro, I was the biggest GT fanboy back in the day. I know how damn ignorant and defensive one can be when you are on your camp.

eso76

Hyoushi said:
Sure you can. It's about as legitimate as a complaint can get.

You can, but in the end your 'score' (the number people seem to feel lost without) will be meaningless if not totally misleading.

GT5 has a 84 score, yet it's undeniably among the best games on ps3, and the best (or second best :) ) racing game on consoles. So what does that 84 tell us ?

If reviewers still can't get rid of numbers, then the numbers they choose should at least tell us something about the overall quality of the game.

Toxa

the 908 pic doesn't look real to me. need more works on lighting, reflection and it looks too plastic.

but it's only my opinion ;)

eso76

forza 4 can look very real. Not quite there with the gt5 best moments, but almost.
when you see the game running on a properly calibrated tv you'll see for yourself.

can't be stressed enough, ADJUST BRIGHTNESS when the game prompts you to and be generous. Game tends to crush blacks. Toning saturation down slightly will help too.

2868.jpg

i love my car.

Also, bigshots take too long to render, you won't see a lot of them around i'm afraid

malyce

p3tran said:
somebody better change the subject line to
Official Forza vs Gran Turismo PHOTOMODE Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

'cause thats the only place where gt is competition to forza.
in all other areas its no competition since forza1

and dats the truth
;P

VkyAx.jpg

See, this is why i cant take some of you seriously, it really has nothing to do with the love for racings sims but more of a hate towards GT or hate towards forza, there are a lot of things that both games do right, there are also some things that both games do wrong... take this pic for example, notice the difference in elevation change? Notice how much closer the GT5 track is to the real thing? Yet people make stupid comparisons like 2d vs 3d trees, like it actually noticeable when you're zooming by at 150+ mph.

Angst

malyce said:
http://i.imgur.com/VkyAx.jpg

See, this is why i cant take some of you seriously, it really has nothing to do with the love for racings sims but more of a hate towards GT or hate towards forza, there are a lot of things that both games do right, there are also some things that both games do wrong... take this pic for example, notice the difference in elevation change? Notice how much closer the GT5 track is to the real thing? Yet people make stupid comparisons like 2d vs 3d trees, like it actually noticeable when you're zooming by at 150+ mph.
Angst said:

I'm pretty sure that 90 % of the posts in this thread are joke posts.

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
Why so much fuss and drama about who's the winner? Its only a pure waste of time and display of useless pride in my opinion (unless you're all immature brats)... why not try give constructive criticism and smart comments?
Well, maybe I'm too optimistic to expect more from the internet...

GT5 cars and lighting DOES look overall better than FM4 in pictures, in-game FM4 runs smoother and is technically more consistent/solid, each have their qualities and flaws.

If only Polyphony hadn't done a half assed job with their standard and premium bullshit and given as much attention to track details, that would have been a real achievement (if we put aside the online racing experience...).

...and don't forget that the Xbox360 has a smaller engine displacement and less horse-power than the PS3.

SPEEDxNASTY said:
Why so much fuss and drama about who's the winner? Its only a pure waste of time and display of useless pride in my opinion (unless you're all immature brats)... why not try give constructive criticism and smart comments?

This is a troll thread. Plain and simple.
Any reasonable person will tell you that both games are great.
Hell, they are exclusives on different consoles, so for me, calling them direct competition is even a stretch.

SPEEDxNASTY said:

GT5 cars and lighting DOES look overall better than FM4 in pictures, in-game FM4 runs smoother and is technically more consistent/solid, each have their qualities and flaws.

If only Polyphony hadn't done a half assed job with their standard and premium bullshit and given as much attention to track details, that would have been a real achievement (if we put aside the online racing experience...).

...and don't forget that the Xbox360 has a smaller engine displacement and less horse-power than the PS3.
No. The 360 has more graphics power than the ps3, more usable RAM, and is easier to develop for. Forza devs can't use this excuse. They were given a better toy to play with than PD.

Muerte_X

SPEEDxNASTY said:

Because these games are just a vehicle (lol) for their fanboyism. Almost no one talks about the actual gameplay and just compares graphics.

But yeah, alot of the thread is trolling. It makes me laugh at the ridiculousness of it, and keeps it out the official threads. Works for me.

eso76

malyce said:
See, this is why i cant take some of you seriously, it really has nothing to do with the love for racings sims but more of a hate towards GT or hate towards forza, there are a lot of things that both games do right, there are also some things that both games do wrong... take this pic for example,

dunno, i actually think fm4 looks a lot better than gt5 in this pic :p

but yeah, track looks different, i am not familiar enough with the ring to tell which is closer to the real thing but i have no doubt it's GT5's.

Pepto

Banned
H_Prestige said:
No. The 360 has more graphics power than the ps3, more usable RAM, and is easier to develop for. Forza devs can't use this excuse. They were given a better toy to play with than PD.
They also delivered a better product.

The Stealth Fox

Reviewers like polish over ambition (not saying F4 isn't ambitious at all, but GT5 tried to spread its wings far and wide).

It's the same reason Alpha Protocol gets panned while everyone eats up Mass Effect 2. Not saying GT5 is as janky as Alpha Protocol though.

SPEEDxNASTY

Neo Member
Ok, I get it.
So trolls wins them all.
Dat modelling, dat lighting, dat attention to detail, photo realism awesomeness.
Can't race it online or put a bodykit on it though.

troll_troll_lol.jpg

Angst

eso76 said:
they photoshopped Forza motorsport 4 watermark away ?
because that could very well be a fm4 shot.
Someone Photoshop a FM4 watermark in the lower right corner. I want a pic with both GT and FM watermarks. :D

kneePat said:
in this thread:

later the same poster

Problem is the pictures don't lie about the 'attractiveness' of Forza over GT5 to the general masses (from what we've seen of the Presentation and Polish, Forza is miles ahead), but we haven't touched the gameplay so the statement is premature. BUT reviews coming in are saying that both these quotes aren't very true anymore and Forza has surpassed GT5 in many ways but most importantly in terms of pure passion for cars and racing.

And the GT5 loyalists so prevalent in this thread should at least move across the aisle and try out Forza because at the end of the day the winner is the consumer when two games keep trying to one up each other. My first experience with racing sims was with Gran Turismo (which I loved) and for some reason each iteration has felt like a downgrade over the previous one recently whereas Forza has been just the opposite.

Your point. You don't seem to have one.

I said I'm buying Forza 4, but GT5 still looks better.

So by that statement you assumed I've never played a Forza game? I've sunken many hours into Forza 2, Forza 3, and even recently I played the Forza 4 demo. So yeah. I've given it a shot, and GT5 is the more attractive game overall.

Now, if we're talking the best overall videogame, I'd give Forza 4 that nod.

malyce said:
VkyAx.jpg

I have said this before, the elevation changes in Forza tracks are almost non-existent. Sure you notice them but when you compare it to the real thing it becomes apparent how different it is. The game looks awesome but Turn 10 has to start modelling tracks and cars right.

Top Bottom