• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

KKRT00

statham said:
ha ha, thats awesome, gt5 have any cool gifs?
Few :p

iRqoWwysRtnA3.gif

GT5DustyRally.gif

gt5nightufbp.gif

gt5-lambo-dodge-o.gif

gt5timesuwd.gif

--------

Metalmurphy said:
lol, it's back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUxVNENan6g

Where's that dog gif?

fm3235.gif

fm3dog4381.gif

bud

gt5, as a whole, is a bit disappointing, but, honestly, no other game comes close to providing gt5's 'ring + day & night cycle experience.

Niks said:
From the Forza 4 OT.
zljp3.png

No night races, dynamic time of day or weather?
-3 laps.

Also where is Dan whats his name? For Forza 3 he was all over the media, with definitive this definitive that... what happened to him? Did MS tell him to shut up or something?
We need new material to work with...After all, who can forget this gem.

“So, props to Kazunori Yamauchi-san and the PS1 team. That said, I feel that he’s passed us the baton. Perhaps he hasn’t meant to, but we have taken the genre to new levels and they’ve stopped evolving the genre. So again, tremendous respect to him, but I’d say the differentiator is they’re old school. The emperor’s naked, and I don’t want to, you know, I don’t want to slap him around, but no game competes [with] us right now.”

:)

Over at GTplanet i was arguing with some of the Forza fans, and they seemed to brush off things that Forza doesn't have (Like night races, weather, rally and etc). Whenever it came for us to talk about GT5 they tore it to pieces, whenever it comes to a game someone likes they become extremely defensive. I wish people will just take off the blindfolds and appreciate the good parts of both games

Xanadu

Banned
GTP_Daverytimes said:
Over at GTplanet i was arguing with some of the Forza fans, and they seemed to brush off things that Forza doesn't have (Like night races, weather, rally and etc). Whenever it came for us to talk about GT5 they tore it to pieces, whenever it comes to a game someone likes they become extremely defensive. I wish people will just take off the blindfolds and appreciate the good parts of both games
amen

~Kinggi~

Banned
Being someone who thought GT 5 would be amazing and then was severely disappointed with horrible menu loading and some poor game design issues, i am glad the new crown of glorious racer is now Forza's. Those guys make game frequently, are able to keep up, and i like the direction they are going with their design.

Shaneus

GTP_Daverytimes said:
My theory: Turn 10 only do things that they know they can pull off well, which is why they didn't do things like different surfaces, night racing and weather as they would've come off looking substandard. Whatever their limits (whether it be the console or just raw talent) they knew how to push *but* work within them. Everything they attempted they did amazingly well, but they didn't attempt everything.
PD on the other hand, I see as having spread themselves too thin. The things they pulled off they did an amazing job of, but there were other aspects that didn't have anywhere near the same level of polish. Overall, did they do more things well than Turn 10 did with Forza 4? I'd say they're about equal. But it's the other things that they tried to do yet pulled up short on, such as the horrible mip-mapping (I think that's what it's called) with all particle (smoke, dirt, spray) effects and shadows, GT4-quality cars, loading times, GUI layout, over-promoted yet under-utilised game modes such as rally and NASCAR and lastly, head tracking.

Honestly, and even though I'll admit I sit firmly on the Forza-fan side of things, I think Turn 10 were wise in their decision to not bite off more than they could chew. Sure, it means that they have a few less bullet points but in the end it means that their package (to me) is more complete than GT5 was. If only PD had not tried to squeeze in so much half-baked content then an apples-for-apples comparison would be easy. As it stands... we have this thread.

Ploid 3.0

malyce said:

Hah this dude is crazy, I was wondering what he would do when it got pitch black out since it has no head lights. I love this track, mostly when the sun is going down, pitch black out, and when the sun is coming up. The noon thing is pretty standard for every track. When visibility is challenged it gets scary good.

Polyphony said:
Wow, go to 3:23, this guy is a wizard!

Seriously, he must be able to play this track blindfolded.

Polyphony

phosphor112 said:
While GT's collision isn't great... it certainly beats the over exaggerated collisions and flips that are present in the FM series.

The collision physics could be improved, but there's only so much you can simulate without proper deformation. The gif shows a moderately accurate depiction of an inelastic collision. In a real case scenario, the WRX would have crumpled the back of the Celica and the cars would have dissipated the rest of the energy into the tire barrier. Car crashes at these speeds aren't 100% inelastic, so they would experience a bit of bouncing. I certainly wouldn't expect the WRX to flip over the back of the Celica or something.

In GT5:p, we would be seeing bumper cars lol.

jett said:
I guess at its peak GT5 stands alone.
Ain't that the truth.

What Forza provides is consistency, and a better game. But I've yet to play any game where the driving feels as satisfying as GT5. Haven't given Forza 4 a short yet though - guess I'll find out how it handles soon enough.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Watching that F1 video I kept thinking why someone would post a real life race and tag it GT5...then the the day/night cycle started and my jaw hit the floor.

Top Bottom