• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Anything new here? Ahhh, the GT5 worshippers are posting 5 second gif loops again thinking that the game looks like that 100% of the time on your tv.

ResidentDante said:
Anything new here? Ahhh, the GT5 worshippers are posting 5 second gif loops again thinking that the game looks like that 100% of the time on your tv.

Most of the recent posts are all about that F1 day/night cycle gameplay video.

eso76

3304.jpg

wrong thread

Shinjiru

First off, I am a fan of Forza and Gran Turismo. I really enjoy playing both.

Are there any official numbers on how many polygons per car each game is pushing? Forza 4 looks great, but it seems to me that even Forza 3 had some cars with a higher polygon count versus GT5. At least when looking at the wheel arches and rims. I noticed a lot of the badges look better in Forza 3 too. Take for example the Ford badge on the 2009 Focus RS in Forza 3, it looks better than the Ford badges I have seen in GT5.

Just some thoughts I have had while playing both games a lot recently. Both games look great. I wish I could take parts of Forza and parts of Gran Turismo and make the perfect racing game.

Chinner

Banned
diddy kong racing had terrible maps and controlled like shit, although even though its terrible it still places higher up than Bad Turismo or Badza.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Chinner said:
diddy kong racing had terrible maps and controlled like shit, although even though its terrible it still places higher up than Bad Turismo or Badza.

I would say:

1. wipeout
2. mario kart
3. diddy kong
4. burnout
5. gran turismo 6/fronza 4

Izayoi

Banned
Shinjiru said:

Are there any official numbers on how many polygons per car each game is pushing? Forza 4 looks great, but it seems to me that even Forza 3 had some cars with a higher polygon count versus GT5. At least when looking at the wheel arches and rims. I noticed a lot of the badges look better in Forza 3 too. Take for example the Ford badge on the 2009 Focus RS in Forza 3, it looks better than the Ford badges I have seen in GT5.

Just some thoughts I have had while playing both games a lot recently. Both games look great. I wish I could take parts of Forza and parts of Gran Turismo and make the perfect racing game.
Over a million polygons for most cars in Forza 4.

Snubbers

Loving the F1 on the 24h Nurb layout.. (The sun is crap and the audio is wet, but DANG!!!)

I saw a description of GT5 in the FM4 eurogamer review, 'flawed genius'.. and video's like that show the genius..

Chinner

Banned
Snuggler said:
I would say:

1. wipeout
2. mario kart
3. diddy kong
4. burnout
5. gran turismo 6/fronza 4
never played wipeout and doesn't look like my kind of thing, but either way it looks better than gran butt or buttza.

eso76

Shinjiru said:

fm3
menu/photomode 350k / 500k
ingame 35k / 45k polys

Gt5
menu / phototravel up to 500k polys
ingame i'd say 100/150k (don't have the exact number, but it's a quite a bit lower than menu models)

Fm4
menu / photomode / ingame (single player events only): 350k / 500k polys
ingame (full grid): guess it's the same 45k poly models as fm3
autovista models: over 1M polys

drifter444 said:
Both games look amazing! Here are some Forza 4 pictures that I found.

6218593465_1c6fb81628_z.jpg

OMGOMGOMG AW11 MR2 is in Forza 4?! FINALLY. My daily driver when I was in college is in the game. I love that car. I wish I could've taken it with me to Japan. ;_;

Shaneus

Snubbers said:
Loving the F1 on the 24h Nurb layout.. (The sun is crap and the audio is wet, but DANG!!!)

I saw a description of GT5 in the FM4 eurogamer review, 'flawed genius'.. and video's like that show the genius..
Now, let's break out the flaws!

Snubbers

Shaneus said:
Now, let's break out the flaws!

FM4 - No night * Shows night pic of GT5
FM4 - No weather * Shows rain pic of GT5
FM4 - only 12 cars on track offline * Shows 16 car offline race in GT5
FM4 - Steering assist * Shows 900 degree steering issue with 'lol, call this a sim comment', gets rebuttled by people claiming it doesn't exist.
FM4 - Kinect is for kids * Shows father son playing air driving with 'lol, call this a sim comment'

GT5 - PS2 jaggy textured cars * Shows pic of 1 of the very few jaggy cars
GT5 - No interiors on 800 cars, and only basic interiors for spec 2 * Shows worse case black silhouette image of Spec 2 interior
GT5 - Crap AI *Shows video of cars parked on corner, gets rebuttled by video of FM3 doing weird shit too
GT5 - Tearing * Shows DF analysis
GT5 - Poor Menus * Shows nothing, get rebuttled as being designed to allow you to hear more of the jazz piano

Amidoinitrite? :D

Shaneus

Snubbers said:
FM4 - No night * Shows night pic of GT5
FM4 - No weather * Shows rain pic of GT5
FM4 - only 12 cars on track offline * Shows 16 car offline race in GT5
FM4 - Steering assist * Shows 900 degree steering issue with 'lol, call this a sim comment', gets rebuttled by people claiming it doesn't exist.
FM4 - Kinect is for kids * Shows father son playing air driving with 'lol, call this a sim comment'

GT5 - PS2 jaggy textured cars * Shows pic of 1 of the very few jaggy cars
GT5 - No interiors on 800 cars, and only basic interiors for spec 2 * Shows worse case black silhouette image of Spec 2 interior
GT5 - Crap AI *Shows video of cars parked on corner, gets rebuttled by video of FM3 doing weird shit too
GT5 - Tearing * Shows DF analysis
GT5 - Poor Menus * Shows nothing, get rebuttled as being designed to allow you to hear more of the jazz piano

Amidoinitrite? :D
Show a closeup of one of those 800 cars. That'll do it.

Chinner

Banned
this one time in mario kart ds i dodged a blu-shell over wifi. i'm not gonna lie it was pretty fucking intense, but it was also amazing.

SmokyDave

Forza 4 contains options to buy cars with real life money so GT5 wins by TKO.

Having said that, the 'Retro Hillclimb Pack' for Race07 contains more joy than both games put together. I declare that one the 'Super Winner'.

Chinner said:
this one time in mario kart ds i dodged a blu-shell over wifi. i'm not gonna lie it was pretty fucking intense, but it was also amazing.
I have a confession to make. I watched the Mario Kart 7 trailer on my 3DS and got hyped as fuck. I haven't enjoyed Mario Kart since the SNES (which was the best one), but 7 looks awesome.

Toxa

Angst said:
Standard on the right, premium on the left. Not that close-up and definitely one of the better standard cars:

it was our super GT Monza race with no fuel for you ?

Shaneus

In Forza 4 you can paint any of the headlights as you want. Looks like that for 80% of the cars in GT5, they've saved you the trouble and done it for you!

erahk64 said:
http://images.lazygamer.net/2010/11/GTpics1-tm.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
One of the first times I got REALLY pissed off with photo mode in GT5 was when I was racing in a premium car, went to take a sweet close-up shot but any shot I could take that was decent always contained at least a tiny bit of the AI standard car. You couldn't even tell what type it was or even that it was an angle from where the shot was, but because I was too close it kept asking me to move the camera back, despite the fact I wasn't even focusing on that car. So frustrating and completely stupid and unnecessary.

Shaneus

tusken77 said:
Is it known if you can buy any car in Forza 4 with real money?
From what I understand, you can buy "tokens" with MSP. Each car (I think) has a certain token amount to it, that you can buy with whatever tokens you've bought through XBL. But there's nothing that can't be bought with in-game credits, so you're never locked into having to spend real-world cash on anything other than DLC.

tusken77

Shaneus said:
From what I understand, you can buy "tokens" with MSP. Each car (I think) has a certain token amount to it, that you can buy with whatever tokens you've bought through XBL. But there's nothing that can't be bought with in-game credits, so you're never locked into having to spend real-world cash on anything other than DLC.

So essentially anyone can purchase any car they want in the game with real money. That's bad. That's really bad. That undermines a huge part of the game.

SmokyDave

tusken77 said:
So essentially anyone can purchase any car they want in the game with real money. That's bad. That's really bad. That undermines a huge part of the game.
Being 'nickel & dimed' is a huge part of the game.

I wonder if they still have those padlocks in the garage to taunt you if you don't buy DLC? I wonder if they still gift you cars that you cannot use?

Goddamn Forza, you make it hard for me to love you.

Top Bottom