• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

tusken77 said:
So essentially anyone can purchase any car they want in the game with real money. That's bad. That's really bad. That undermines a huge part of the game.
Why? Just ignore it, those who want to pay for cheating; just let them!

vanty

tusken77 said:
So essentially anyone can purchase any car they want in the game with real money. That's bad. That's really bad. That undermines a huge part of the game.
They can't just buy any car they want at any time, you have to unlock stuff first. All it does is remove grinding for credits for people who'd rather throw money away than time.

tusken77

ResidentDante said:
Why? Just ignore it, those who want to pay for cheating; just let them!

It removes some of the satisfaction of achievement. You eventually earn enough credits to buy a gorgeous car you've been keen to own. A car your mates have been enjoying for weeks/months because they simply bought it with real money. Horrible.

I swear PD better not even consider implementing that kind of nonsense into future GTs.

vanty

tusken77 said:
It removes some of the satisfaction of achievement. You eventually earn enough credits to buy a gorgeous car you've been keen to own. A car your mates have been enjoying for weeks/months because they simply bought it with real money. Horrible.

I swear PD better not even consider implementing that kind of nonsense into future GTs.
Driving a car you want is fun. Fun > 'satisfaction of achievement'. Really a ridiculous thing to get worked up about.

What you guys are forgetting though is that this is also GT5:

gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg

tusken77

vanty said:
Driving a car you want is fun. Fun > 'satisfaction of achievement'. Really a ridiculous thing to get worked up about.

Uh, no. You obviously don't understand the importance of the sense of achievement. I'm not worked up about it, I'm not buying Forza. I'm just concerned that it might possibly find its way into future GTs.

nib95

Banned
GT5 is certainly an odd one. It's either the best you've ever seen or some of the worst lol. Still an awesome track mind. Just a shame it looks so turd.

gogogow

^
Better compression doesn't give you more polygons!

I hate it how PD didn't update the trial mountain. That's PSone quality. They only updated it slightly for the PS2 and a track with PSone amount of polygons in a GT5 is just unacceptable. They couldn't like have a team of 10 people and add some polygons to those tracks and another team of 10 people to cleanup the standard cars? I'm not even talking about adding polygons, but just to cleanup the textures and make sure it doesn't look like shit. I have absolutely no problems with the standard car models, they still look very decent for cars with 5000 polygons, but the textures can be atrocious and some weird stuff around the lights.

KKRT00

gogogow said:
^
Better compression doesn't give you more polygons!

Its not like this ones have more polys.

2uysj1z.jpg

2j1mp2b.jpg

Do they look better on those shots? Yep a little, but they have similar amount of polys and texture resolution.

amar212

brotkasten said:
I still feel like I'm reading the first 20 pages again. You guys are boring.

What I really wait is that this thread grow insane in next 2 weeks - with Forza 4 official worldwide release and GT5 both Spec 2.0 update and DLC.

It will be glorious to watch the post-count climbing towards |OT|2.

iyndLQriHmLfH.gif

igAbcKNNoGrhu.gif

icMnGZLHPiBTh.gif

I've yet to see any racing game reach the level of GT in terms of graphics. When GT is at its best its untouchable in the graphics department. And its not too bad when it comes to the driving :)

gogogow

KKRT00 said:
Its not like this ones have more polys.

http://strony.aster.pl/kakarotto/2uysj1z.jpg[/img
[img]http://strony.aster.pl/kakarotto/2j1mp2b.jpg[/img
Do they look better on those shots? Yep a little, but they have similar amount of polys and texture resolution.[/QUOTE]
What kind of logic is that? Just because you think game B doesn't look good either it's okay for game A to look like shit? Those tracks in F3 have a considerable amount more polygons than Trial Mountain GT5, not similar AT ALL.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/s5EIk.jpg
7K8BG.jpg

Xun said:
That looks superb.

Also is it worth getting the F1 car in GT5? I have 15 million credits and I may as well spend some of it!

No, buying the Ferrari cars is the biggest fucking rip off in the game. One Seasonal (added much later) and can't use it in A-Spec.

Basically it's just the fastest way to lower your credit count if you want to make purchasing useful cars more difficult.

KKRT00 said:
Do they look better on those shots? Yep a little, but they have similar amount of polys and texture resolution.

To be fair, that's a 7-8 mile long track iirc, I guess most of the polygon budget (I don't know how these things work) looks to be blown on the shorter loop, once you work your way up the mountain the geometry gets simpler and that's what you are seeing there.

KKRT00

drugstore_cowboy said:
To be fair, that's a 7-8 mile long track iirc, I guess most of the polygon budget (I don't know how these things work) looks to be blown on the shorter loop, once you work your way up the mountain the geometry gets simpler and that's what you are seeing there.
Nurburgring isnt shorter.

gogogow said:
What kind of logic is that? Just because you think game B doesn't look good either it's okay for game A to look like shit? Those tracks in F3 have a considerable amount more polygons than Trial Mountain GT5, not similar AT ALL.
Because no one is complaining over this track, but always about Trial Mountain?
Its not like other racing games dont have worse tracks or worse moments, but only in GT 5 it gets pointed out.

tusken77

Xun said:
That looks superb.

Also is it worth getting the F1 car in GT5? I have 15 million credits and I may as well spend some of it!

Don't pull the trigger on buying it just yet. A speedy little number is available very soon. If Vettel becomes champion on Sunday, anyone who logs into the game that day gets the 'Red Bull X2010 S.Vettel' for free!

Ploid 3.0

tusken77 said:
Don't pull the trigger on buying it just yet. A speedy little number is available very soon. If Vettel becomes champion on Sunday, anyone who logs into the game that day gets the 'Red Bull X2010 S.Vettel' for free!

If he fail he'll disappoint a lot of people. No pressure.

gogogow

KKRT00 said:
Nurburgring isnt shorter.

Because no one is complaining over this track, but always about Trial Mountain?
Its not like other racing games dont have worse tracks or worse moments, but only in GT 5 it gets pointed out.
I don't even know what track that is in F3! I don't have the game, only tried the demo and don't like it that much. That's why I don't shit on Forza. Trial Mountain is a wellknown track in GT games and is favourite of many people including myself, next to El Capitan. Also, there are huge discrepancies between tracks and cars in GT5. That is why GT5 standard cars and certain tracks gets pointed out. Like I said, there should've been a small team to update the tracks and clean up the cars. Why did PD update High Speed Ring and not Trial Mountain? It makes zero sense.

tusken77

Ploid 3.0 said:
Yeah I have to say, I love Trial Mountain and am glad it was in GT5. Actually racing on it is fun, even with my SD cars.

I love that track too. And it looks good enough to me when it's on my big Pioneer plasma.

Xun

tusken77 said:
Yeah I knew about that. I'm just a big F1 fan.

With the Vettel event I can sadly only manage to get bronze on Monza, so getting it without doing the events will be good! I blame my lack of a wheel... or expertise.

Izayoi

Banned
nib95 said:
X2010. It basically fast forwards life.
No, it's not the speed, it's the way the car reacts with the road. It's like there's no suspension, it's just rigid. It looks incredible cheesy to me.

In any case, the thread continues to be useless as it's just "which photomode/replay viewer is better".

nib95

Banned
Izayoi said:
No, it's not the speed, it's the way the car reacts with the road. It's like there's no suspension, it's just rigid. It looks incredible cheesy to me.

Pretty sure it's just a made up car for fan service. I mean....I don't think a race or road car could ever go that fast and handle that well in real life. Who knows.

SmokyDave

Izayoi said:
Immeasurable downforce. Read all about the (theoretical) car here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_X1

It's insane to drive.

nib95 said:
Pretty sure it's just a made up car for fan service. I mean....I don't think a race or road car could ever go that fast and handle that well in real life. Who knows.
Pretty sure that the Red Bull guys said it would perform similarly in real life.

Whether the driver could withstand the G's though....

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Forza 3 was so great, that there's no need for a Forza 4.

I've got a great idea. How about we cut the chains that are tying Polyphony Digital and Turn 10 down, and allow them to develop something else for a change?
Remember Omega Boost?!! Yeah, I want a sequel, and you can make it Move enabled.
I don't even know what Turn 10 can do besides racing games, but I'd like to find out.

Izayoi said:
In any case, the thread continues to be useless as it's just "which photomode/replay viewer is better".

Not really, general consensus is that GT5 has better graphics, more features and the best driving.

Izayoi said:

It's a Prototype designed by Red Bulls Adrian Newey and Kaz without being limited by any motorsport regulation. It doesn't actually exist though in real life outside of a model with no engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4gSGemXi94

Top Bottom